Arkansas Blue Cross & Blue Shield Employee Reviews

fast past- consumer driven
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 14, 2017
An amazing group of people to work with. Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow with this company. Ability to help individuals better their health and providing them better access to health care.
Facing Challenges Competing
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 21, 2017
This has been a stable long term institution dedicated to Arkansans and to large employers. However, challenges exist as the market becomes more competitive and the future of healthcare regulations remains uncertain. Still a large player, high market share, good brand. Leadership changing, some positive, some not. Biggest asset is long term employees, but biggest weakness is long term employees. All in all, a good place to work, but changing as the stress on the industry ratchets up.
Pros
Low turnover
Cons
Low turnover
The typical work day
Health Information Network Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 25, 2017
I started work usually by reading all my emails creating a list to do for the day. After creating my list I would meet with my manager to make sure she did not have any additional duties she wanted me to take care of. The work culture was very cooperative and diligent . I encountered many challenges especially when I first started I make mistakes but management was so helpful the trained me up to be a valuable asset to the department. I enjoyed being able to talk to my coworkers building a strong friendship with everyone.
Pros
Benefits, career advancements and healthy cafeteria
Cons
No possible relocating to the DFW area
Good Benefits and work life balance
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 2, 2017
ABCBS is an overall good company to work for. The jobs can be challenging and rewarding if you find the appropriate management. Most management has the tendency to micromanage.
Great Job and Great Benefits
Claims Specialist 10 (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 9, 2017
I loved working for this company, and I really enjoyed my job. I loved my co-workers, and I learned a great deal about health insurance and health conditions. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I was really good at what I did. The hardest part of my job was the commute.
Pros
Fun job, great benefits, fun employee health program
Cons
the location, the commute, working for time off with children
Productive and great place to work
Medical Underwriter II (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 13, 2016
This was my first job out of LPN school and the staff was wonderful. They took their time with me and understood that I was a new graduate and gave me as much time that I needed to train and feel comfortable with my job duties.
Pros
Salary and environment
Cons
A really good place to work
DBA (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 9, 2016
I was with this company for 25 years and our jobs were elimination due to contract. This was a great place to work with a great atmosphere and good managers and supervisors. A typical day is coming to work at 7:00 am and digging into your cases I was working on. What I liked most about this job no cases were ever really the same. This made for interesting cases to work on and render a decision to the provider or the person who requested the review. I worked with an awesome bunch of ladies and we worked as a team to the job done. At the end of the day the most important thing was I gave 100% of my time to review our cases for our customers.
Pros
Great benefits
I loved working with as many people that I did and learned al lot.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 2, 2016
Would have a 5-10 min meeting before we got on the phones and started taking calls from providers and customers, Would work on follow up and return phone calls from other insurance companies, providers who ever else that might call.
Pros
The feeling I got when I knew I helped a person who really needed it.
Cons
Having to end my time with them
It's all about serving members
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  N Little Rock, AROctober 22, 2015
I enjoy helping others and this company allows me to do so. I'm searching for an opportunity to work more independently as an analyst or researcher.
Outstanding Company to be employed by...
Purchasing Forms Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 3, 2015
Good to work in BCBS and have good work culture. Work environment is good and learning wise it is very good place. Coworkers are very helpful in resolving the questions and helping.
Providing case management services for large self-insured US employer.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 22, 2015
Established managed health care company. Competitive salary and benefits. Based in Little Rock, AR. Work alongside experienced and compassionate registered nurses providing comprehensive case management services. A chance to enhance your skills as a case manager and utilize your nursing experience.
Answered this question- worked with patients and hospitals
Referral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 12, 2015
I worked with patients, families, nurses, acute facilites, long-term, and rehabs and nursing homes. Made sure transfers were successful, that no one got lost in the system, and that the appropriate case manager was able to help them with the transfers and costs.
Pros
helping people who were ill and couldn't help themselves
Cons
emotionally draining, but helping people was worth it
Very forward thinking company, kept internal and external customers in their focus
Group Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 23, 2015
Large volume of calls and emails regarding multiple issue in handling of health insurance policies. Maintained all hippa requirements. High quality of customer service very important.
Customer Service Trainer/Curriculum and Course Dev (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 19, 2015
Good company to work for in regards to benefits but advancement opportunities are less than favorable. Advancement is most times contingent on who you know and not what you know. An employee's character, work ethic, and ability to perform is not a matter of first hand observation but rather judge on hearsay creating an disproportionate fair opportunity for advancement.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement practices
Excellent company to work for
Claims Processor and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 7, 2015
I started as an entry level customer service employee with excellent training. I transferred to claims so I could understand the procedures of claims processing.

As a claims processor, I worked from reports until the company started using a system that assigned claims to each processor. I was trained to work a claim from start to finish including ordering and reviewing medical records when necessary.

I received excellent quarterly and annual reviews so I was able to telecommute once the company updated systems to make that possible.

I was a team lead for two years and interacted with management on a daily basis. During that time I was able to assist my co-workers and my supervisor daily also.

I enjoyed my years at Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield but I wanted to move to Florida
Pros
Excellent training and opportunities.
Cons
Computer systems were not always reliable.
Reactionary management and chaotic policy changes
BANA line of business (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 31, 2014
If you would like to subsist on a diet largely composed of Rolaids, this is the place for you! Change the motto from "Live Fearless" to "Work Fearful."
Pros
Stable Company
Cons
Knee jerking and hand wringing abounds
Productive, and a great learning experience
BANA Rep (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 16, 2014
Verifying Insurance, It was an alright job, typical call center, it just was not for me.
Current Position
Managed Care Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJuly 10, 2014
I have worked for Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield for 20 years and enjoy health insurance industry. Customer service is first priority and should be at any position. Ready to make a change and would love the opportunity to work as a Flight Attendent.
Keep your head down and just work
Utilization Review (UR) Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 26, 2013
There isn't much more of a stable job in Little Rock than ABCBS. That's about the most positive thing that can be said. Their culture is built on fear of losing a good job and so most new employees lose that "sparkle in their eye" pretty quickly. If you don't mind having the threat of your job being pulled out from under you at a moments notice just because you suddenly don't fit managements idea of a "good" employee then this is the place you want to be.
Pros
stable job
Cons
fear
i enjoyed the time spent with Blue |Cross. i could have retired there
Customer Service/Reopen Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 19, 2013
typical day-I come in clock in, get coffee or coke get logged in and get busy/ I learned that when people call you and are fussing, cursing and yelling they are mad at you they are mad at the situation/ I enjoyed the people I worked with for the most part. there are some that I opted to not associate with/ the hardest part of the job is when I don't have an immediate answer to a question sometimes the research takes a day or so./the benefits and bonus checks every year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Blue Cross & Blue Shield. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4