The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette is looking for a versatile web developer for a fast-paced small-team environment. The ideal candidate would be a highly motivated self-starter that is able to work with minimal supervision and can actively communicate with stakeholders to develop project requirements.
- Develop and maintain multiple large-scale websites using various programming languages.
- Maintain and support web stack to maximize deliverability and performance.
- Integrate disparate systems, from legacy equipment to newer technology-driven.
- Work in a team environment with peer-code review and be able to push updates to production servers from a deployment server.
- Maintain and extend an existing analytics suite to provide customer data in a reliable way.
- Problem solving skills for a wide array of needs including networking, XML ingestion or production and code-planning.
- Assist customer service department with questions from customers on website issues, use and authentication. Occasionally this involves directly speaking with customers.
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or comparable professional experience
- Minimum 2 years of professional development experience.
- Extensive knowledge of HTML, CSS, JavasScript and cross-browser, multi-device compatibility.
- Extensive knowledge of any C-influenced programming language.
- Comfort with administration of Linux distributions from the command-line.
- Knowledge of relational databases, preferably using PostgreSQL and MySQL.
- Experience with Apache (on Linux) and IIS (Windows server.)
- Ability to quickly adapt to new programming languages and environments
- Experience with MVC frameworks.
- An understanding of various web-protocols including HTTP, AJAX, DNS, and SSH/SFTP.
- Familiarity with version control with Subversion or similar methods.
- Experience with leveraging jQuery.
- Experience with WordPress development.
- Experience with Django and Python.
- Experience and/or interest in iOS/Android development.
- Some knowledge of Bash and other programming languages a plus.
- Interest in News/Media industry.
- Interest in open source software development community.