Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Employee Reviews in United States

Advertising sales is very rewarding with an opportunity to be creative.
Direct Sales and Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Democrat, ARMarch 31, 2015
A career at the Arkansas Democrat Gazette will be completely filled with opportunities to sell, sell, sell. Advertising sales is very rewarding because you put a piece of yourself in most of the ads that you sell. You will have the opportunity to come up with concepts for a business' ad. You will get to know your customers very well and know what they need to increase revenue for them. This position will potentially teach you a lot about matching your products with a customer's needs. This knowledge is vital.

People here are hard-working, sharp and have very friendly personalities. Unfortunately, there is a lot of turn-over, largely having to do with the bosses, workload and declining pay checks.

The problem with the company lies within the management. When profits started heading downhill, management went into panic mode and began setting goals what were harder and harder to make, thus lowering salespeople's take-home. If you want to sell and be proud of what you sell, this is the place for you, but be ready to have your sales zone changed and be ready to be required to sell special items to your customers that will increase revenue for the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, but not be in the best interests of your customers.
Pros
Very interesting work. No day is the same.
Cons
Unrealistic goals, dwindling pay, rising healthcare out-of-pocket cost
This is a good place to work if you're young and don't have a family to support
Administrative secretary (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 21, 2014
At a typical day at work, I answered a multi-line phone; greeted and directed visitors; processed orders; made copies; and assisted in mailings. I learned about mass mailing (e.g. mail merges and database management) and customer service. The atmosphere was not the best; management had little to do with "lower" workers such as administrative assistants, etc., and promotions were biased. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers via the phone; those of us who did not usually work with customers sometimes had to take calls from angry customers, and we were not trained for it. Sometimes we were forced to work in customer service and take calls. This was torturous without training.

The pay was low, with very little increases, and the co-workers were a little friendly, but politics always overruled business relationships. I did enjoy talking to the few pleasant customers I encountered. I also have to add that during the time I worked there, the CEO/President bought several newspapers, cable companies, etc., yet did not increase our salaries to a reasonable level.
Pros
free newspapers, free holiday dinners at work
Cons
politics, unfriendly management, low pay
Fun people, relaxed yet professional atmosphere
Graphic Designer/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 20, 2014
My co-workers felt more like friends than co-workers. Management was accommodating whenever I had to take my children to doctor's appointments. The way they treat their employees should not be taken for granted, as those kinds of employers are few and far between.
Pros
flexibility, comfortable working atmosphere
Cons
commission checks sometimes irregular, making it difficult to budget household expenses
Sales/Leasing/Management
Retail advertising inside sales (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 21, 2013
8 hours ofsales, calls setting appointmnets, leasing, administrative duties.
Work can be fun if you enjoy what you are doing.
Interesting topic.
We all try to get along in a very professional manner.
Colleecting commissions from some Landlords.
Sales and leasing. Helping business owners find the right location for them.
Pros
commissions
Cons
alot of drive time
Undesirable Job
Copy Editor/Page Designer (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARSeptember 22, 2013
This is a company that is caught in a dying industry and has been forced to take many cuts out of employees' pay, benefits and overall work enjoyment. In my experience, the management, atmosphere and coworker relationships were poor at best. I was happy to get some experience from this company on my resume and very happy to move forward in my career at another company.
Cons
poor pay and work environment
Not a terrible starting job, but not much else
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 22, 2013
Poor communication between desks, subpar compensation, awful scheduling, a dearth of advancement opportunities, and, above all, completely incompetent management combined to make this an unhappy work experience for the majority of my years at this publication. My immediate boss was a stressed-out mess who, while good at the actual editing part of her job, should not be supervising a staff. She had difficulties with such relatively simple tasks as scheduling, and she let older workers get away with doing very little while she burned out promising younger workers with more stressful tasks, lower pay with no hope of a raise in sight, and awful work schedules that had few opportunities for improvement. She furthermore did not take stress (internally or externally applied) well, often passing it down to her subordinates through predictable freak-outs, interfering with our ability to do our own work, and sent out decrees meant to solve problems but that ultimately had little to do with actual productivity. Finally, the biggest grievances were that she was unable to recognize that different personalities work differently, that unhappy workers were unproductive workers, or that feedback, both constructive and positive, is necessary for an optimal work environment.

The biggest thing I learned through this job is that I should not work in journalism anymore. The major saving grace was that most of my co-workers — in my department and others — were and are wonderful people, and many of them were around my age, enabling me to have a decent balance between work and a social life as my schedule
  more... would allow. I am still friends with many of those former colleagues.  less
Pros
working in a newsroom can be very exciting
Cons
too many to list here
Productive workplace
Telemarketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 12, 2013
The newspaper office is always busy because it is the only one in the northwest Arkansas region.
Excellant place to work
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 13, 2013
First class organization,great co-workers and management
Pros
great leadership personel
Stable environment
Sales Assistant / Real Estate Advertising (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 11, 2012
Work remained steady for its industry, but training was minimal and limited advancement potential for assistants not seeking sales positions.
Pros
health insurance, 401(k), frequently team-oriented
Cons
limited rewards for initiative shown