Arkansas Department of Health Employee Reviews

Productive and busy environment.
Translator (Current Employee) –  ArkansasDecember 3, 2016
Needs more improvements on helping patients with thier needs and services.
Nurses need to work harder
ADH needs to provide better service to the public
Needs more staff to serve patients faster
Appointments need to be done if its an emergency need
Supervisors should be more professional and understand that employees have families and sometimes they cannot be at work due family issues.
ADH should provide benefits for contact employees.
Pros
No benefits for contracts
Cons
No benefits for contracts poor pay
Great coworkers and fun events
Health Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ARJuly 7, 2016
I have learned patience. The manager and coworkers were easy to work with and eager to help. Reading nurses notes was the hardest part of the job. I enjoyed having all information on new patients available for my nurses.
Benefits
Cons
Overly loud conversations from the clinic on opposite side of the building
Good enough for government work
Environmental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northwest ArkansasMarch 13, 2016
Job/career is stable. State legislature keeps cost of living raises minimal and has turned merit raises into small bonuses. You will not likely make above entry level under the current career pay plans. Any tools provided to you are usually inadequate because they were purchased from a lowest bidder and obsolete by the time the purchase was approved. It feels like most things are planned towards the average standards of 5-10 years ago instead of adopting technological changes that have been made in the last two decades.
Professional, fast paced and family oriented workplace
Licensed Practical Nurse (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARAugust 4, 2016
Trained as immunization nurse within one month. Quota meeting is encouraged of 15 patients daily. Computer entries slow meeting this quota tremendously. Awkward at first with patient watching you learn the computer system.
Public worked with was a lot of fun. Patients vary in age , culture and socioeconomic status.
Management is most helpful I have ever encountered in my 13+ years of working as a LPN.
Multiple "jobs" which you are cross-trained to perform. Encouraged to be working on others when not performing main duties.
LPN's limited by a few they are not allowed to perform . RN's utilized for those programs.
Ample Annual leave /sick leave accumulates quickly. Not allowed to take off for things like education etc unless leave used. No flexibility in scheduling with exception of using annual leave/ sick leave. So not able to return to college unless have worked there long enough to have a lot of leave accumulated which you can utilize.
Absolutely no part-time positions offered.
Depending on position: often had to arrive early and leave late but compensated if approved.
Often have to take a position in other city then apply for position in own city before getting the position first sought in order to "get-your-foot-in-the-door" so to speak.
Excessive amount of paperwork and computer data entry per patient.
Large volume of policies and procedures to learn and follow.
Pay competitive for Arkansas nursing and based on years experience.
Co-Workers are a team and act as family.
I personally would not recommend for new graduates.
Pros
Multiple programs learned and utilized throughout one day.
Cons
Very few positions open for licensed practical nurses, Many open to registered nurses. Experience does not matter. No yearly raises, only what is called a merit raise if everyone across the board gets one.
Great team atmosphere
Program Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 3, 2016
Great place to work as long as you're in the main office in LR. lots of opportunity for advancement and continuing education. People work great together in team atmosphere. Lots of activities for employees - healthy initiatives and programs. Staff are focused on getting the job done
Pros
Management fair and supportive of employees. Employees are made to feel appreciated
Cons
No advancement and isolation at the outlying offices.
Enjoyable place to work, Friendly atmosphere
Persoanl Care LPN (Former Employee) –  Harrison, ARJanuary 8, 2017
I was employed with Arkansas Department of Health for over 20 years, i worked in Home Health / Personal Care. I have enjoyed working there. The Home Health and Personal Care Departments closed down in 2016. Friendly, teamwork atmosphere with Home Health and the County Health Unit Clinic.
Pros
Work hours and bernifits
Cons
Job ended
Fun place to work, not enough pay nor job stability
Helpline Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 9, 2016
Typical Day consisted of answering the helpline and assisting Medicaid / ARKids First recipients find a PCP and a medical home.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Short Breaks, No Vacation Time, Low Pay Rate
Traveling to homes was great
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARJune 23, 2016
I had several clients out in the Cotter/Gassville, AR area. My clients brought me great joy and made working with them no less than wonderful. A typical day at work was the drive to work, client one: visit, clean, laundry, visit and leave. Client 2: she just wanted company, so we visited and made sure her personal care was complete daily. Client 3: I would prepare breakfast or lunch depending on the shift assigned, and I would assist in the shower and shaving, then my day would be done. I loved my clients. My co-workers and I didn't actually work together, so there's not much I can say. Management for the most part, was pretty good. They stayed on top of things. I did have an issue with one of the schedulers, but was taken care of in a peaceful manner. Traveling was fun, once I got to know the path I took daily. The hardest part is one of my clients treated me as the "maid" instead of a personal caregiver.
Pros
Set Schedule. Amazing clients.
Cons
Not many incentives. Scheduling issues.
Working with the State is different
Health Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 22, 2016
Working in AASIS, there was always an opportunity to learn something interesting. Individuals from everywhere in the world and are ambitious creates a wonderful diverse workplace to grow with.
Pros
Amazing Staff
Cons
No overtime
Low pay good hours
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Crittenden County, ARAugust 1, 2016
Be prepared to get no pay for home time of errands. Low pay. If looking for a govt job try federal. This is the lowest paying job I've had since being a nurse. This is a job for an older person who has other means of income from a spouse. This is definitely not a job for a single parent.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Low pay
Productive and enjoyable
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXJanuary 2, 2017
Loved working with the patients in my job as Case Manager. Enjoyed doing for them and getting them what they needed to live productively.
Always changing
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 21, 2016
Worked there over then years ago, so things have changed tremendously since then. The staff at the time was very organized and worked together to benefit the public.
No teamwork and poor managment!!
RN case manager home health (Former Employee) –  Heber Springs ARFebruary 19, 2015
I worked at this office and it was a total nightmare! One nurse is allowed to schedule team members to do all admissions and lengthy visits, and send team members on routes that are not even in the same direction! They can't keep the spot filled due to people becoming so fed up with the lack of teamwork and unfair workload resulting in hours of charting at home you won't get paid for!! The supervisor who should take the initiative to counsel said nurse and discuss equal workload (as you are all on salary) and sensible route.scheduling never addresses issues and is essentially spineless. She has no place in a supervisory role because she ignores all issues and allows bullying in the workplace.
Pros
sometimes flexible
Cons
uncompensated hours at home, poor teamwork, lackadaisical supervisor
ADH Review
Research Statistical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 11, 2015
During the time period working at Arkansas Department of Health gave me an opportunity to learn new skills and acquire additional training.
Pros
Promote wellness, nutrition and fitness
Cons
compensation
Help workers who had been hurt on jobs
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 10, 2016
Non-stop ringing of phones. Clients coming in and out for various things. Sometimes slow paced, but rarely. Co-workers had been there a while. Enjoyed helping people.
Adh
HR Generalist II Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 17, 2014
The organization/agency itself is wonderful, however it is middle management heavy which can be frustrating at times. Great benefits and work-life balance.
Pros
Work life balance and benefits. Great retirement package.
Cons
Too much middle management
Flexible work hours
Benefits Technician (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARSeptember 3, 2014
Constant workflow with an array of clients.
Spent a lot of time doing community outreach.
I learned how to deal with a variety of people.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to help someone who really needed assistance.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the gratitude of the people I was helping.
Pros
Most days spent out of the office in community settings.
Cons
No benefits
State
Health Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Russellville, ARApril 16, 2015
I loved this job but the pay is to little for the amount of work that we all preform. I enjoy helping others and this job is one where you are always helping others.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
30 Minute lunch
Busy fast-paced medical office
HEALTH SERVICES SPECIALIST II (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARApril 21, 2016
On a typical day I answer patient phone calls, check patients in for appointments and gather information pertaining to the financial side of the visit. When the patient is finished with the appointment I check them out and take payment and schedule any follow-up appointment.
RN managing patient care
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARApril 7, 2014
It's a large company with a good group of people to work with and good nursing experience.
Pros
good benefits, good salary
Cons
long working hours, computer is difficult

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Department of Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Arkansas Department of Health Reviews by Location