Arkansas Department of Health Employee Reviews

I loved my job.
HR Administrative Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 19, 2017
My boss was the best. She was fair to everyone in the group. She made sure we had everything we needed and she also had our back. The pay was just not good.
Good workplace...horrible management
Health Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 7, 2017
The job itself is rewarding but the upper management is not. They arent fair and do not make sure the employee has training to do his/her job. The management team do not care and are not there for the employees. Very heartless and are there getting paid to make the employees job a nightmare.
Too stressful and underappreciated
Public Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hope, ARNovember 28, 2017
I will never recommend working for this facility until the current management has retired. She is vindictive and creates a hostile work environment. I have seen many colleagues have mental breakdowns and develop mental and physical health problems while working for this organization.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
poor pay, hostile work environment, no room for career advancement unless you are related to someone at the top.
Healthcare work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARNovember 27, 2017
You work with a wide variety of people in the health department. It can be challenging and difficult at times. The employees are friendly and willing to help.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
poor pay
Ok place to work
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  4815 West Markham Street Little Rock, Ar.November 2, 2017
Coming in at 5:45 am turning on the phone getting my equipment set up to start my day learn a lot from talking to different people all over the state of Arkansas, I love my mangers they were the best at taking care of there staff and working with there staff, the culture was very nice, the hardest part was not all was being able to help people and meet there needs, the most enjoyable part was knowing that I did help a person are people that day.
Relaxed friendly environment
Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 18, 2017
A typical day at work at the Department of Health consisted of reviewing budget and expense reports for the agency and assisting other program areas with their budgets. The hardest part of the job was sometimes dealing with difficult employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to assist people with budget questions or problems.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Parking
hard work, but temporary job
Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  ArkansasSeptember 26, 2017
The job was grant based and thus it ended. It was rewarding work establishing policy toward tobacco education. I wish the job did not have to end. TPCP (tobacco prevention and cessation program)
Fast paced fulfilling job
Team Leader, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARSeptember 5, 2017
Working both in the clinic and with In-Home Services was Good balances in place to try to provide equality to employees. Only left because the governor sold our division to the private sector.
Pros
Great benefits, enjoyable, challenging and fulfilling.
Cons
Old hires pay does not balance with new hires.
Clerical at Pulaski County Heath Unit
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Pulaski County Health Unit Little Rock, ARAugust 30, 2017
I worked diligently and did accurate work; my work was audited by State Auditors every few months. And I received high ratings.
the Supervisor and director are the main reasons I left.
The best part of my job was interaction with outside clients.
Since my leaving, both the supervisor and the director of that unit were RELOCATED to other locations and not in same jobs
Adh
Environmental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARAugust 3, 2017
Working for the Arkansas Department of Health has several pros and cons. Though you have a liberal work load and leave time, the pay is sub standard and not worth the trouble from being micromanaged.
Work
MMR/Influenza Data Entry Extra Help (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 10, 2017
The workload was large but was not pressured from supervisor. The best part of working in the Influenza section of the Arkansas Department of Health was the people.
Enjoyed my work with In home services.
Area Nursing Director (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 6, 2017
the hardest part of the job was staffing. I enjoyed my job, the team work, had a great supervisor. enjoyed the patient care. I learned a lot about how to be a leader through Workforce Development trainings offered.
benefits
Cons
no direct hourly salary increase, merit raises were given in a lump sum rather than increasing hourly salary.
great state government job
Fiscal Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 6, 2017
no complaints excellent place to work many opportunities great coworkers. the parking is horrible is the only complaint I would have. computer system could use an upgrade
Great place to work that is family oriented
Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 28, 2017
A typical workday would be coming in and starting computer. Reading emails and replying to these. Check for any purchase requisitions to be approved. Checking on expenditures on a daily basis to verify that budget has not been exceeded. Help others with purchase requests. Booking travel for employees when necessary.
Complete monthly, quarterly and yearly reports. Approve time when needed. Using purchasing card to purchase items needed for work. Other duties as assigned
Pros
Working with people who need assistance
Cons
Provided me with many opportunities for advancement
Epidemiologist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 26, 2017
I loved my time being the Maternal and Child Health Epidemiologist. My co workers at the Family Health Branch were awesome. The Health Department provided my a scholarship to attend the College of Public Health and obtain my Master of Public Health Degree.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Low pay
Arkansas Department of Health
Health Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 25, 2017
The work environment is very relaxed. However there is really no room for advancement and and the pay is not equal to the amount of work you do or even how long you have been at the job.I do however enjoy the people I work with.
Working at ADH, Little Rock
Research Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 13, 2017
Jobs and expectations are not always clearly defined. Raises are based a combination of on how long you have been employed with the agency and the Governor's edit to give raises annually. A lot of middle position management people overseeing only one or two people. Hard to get promoted in the company because many employees apply when positions are posted creating a lot of internal competition.
District Engineer
District Engineer (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 12, 2017
Good learning experience for anyone going into the civil engineering field or if someone is looking for a laid back job for retirement. This job is a great first job out of college
Flexible hours and good company morale
Personal Care Aide (PCA) (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 15, 2017
A typical day depended on the client assigned to you. I learned to be more patient. The management was fair and understanding. The office setting was very pleasant. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the client personalities. The most enjoyable part talking and engaging in conversation with the clients
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay, traveling
A lot of constant changes
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 15, 2017
Although change is expected and it being a state agency there is, but it's very political as well. Not much room for advancement. A lot of employees are long time employees though. Salary is not competeive at all, not always compensated for experience and education
Benefits
Cons
Constant changes, politics