Arkansas Department of Health Employee Reviews

Poor atmospher
Home Services Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 31, 2016
Horrible place to work for. Management is very clickish. They will work you off the clock and not pay you. Drove more hours then what was told to expect. Hateful nurses to work with.
paid well and that's it
Emergency Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 4, 2016
Paid well and learned alot. the only thing I dislike about this job was my coworkers. There was no comrade in sight there. great supervisor though
Waiting for something to happen
Emergency Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 4, 2016
There are routine morning radio checks that take place during the work week. After they are completed, you wait and monitor what is happening in the state of Arkansas. We pay attention to the news and we get incident reports from various agencies from inside and outside the state. We then transmit the information to the necessary parties. The nature of the incident determines which officials are informed. Most of our time involves waiting for something to happen, and a whole week can pass without incident. When considering the nature of the job, that is a good thing for the rest of the state. If you happen to be in the office by yourself, your cannot leave the office. One can become stir crazy, but it is the first essential rule of the job. We are surrounded by communications equipment, and this allows us to be one of the first people informed when public health issues arise. We have to be present at a moment's notice in case we have to communicate with officials at all levels of government.
The tremendous amount of downtime can cause one to feel under utilized.There are learning opportunities, and I have earned various certificates while employed at this organization. The main reason I applied was for the possibility of advancement, and that promise has not sufficiently manifested itself. I still work around a group of people with the best of intentions. I did take the opportunity to grow and evolve during my tenure, but I am hungry for new challenges.
Pros
There are plenty of learning opportunities.
Cons
It is shift work, the opportunities for advancement are limited, and the nature of the job leads one to feel under utilized.
Case Manager
RN Case Manager/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Des Arc, ARNovember 17, 2015
Case manage 25 to 30 clients. Enjoy being able to take the time that is needed with each client in their home. I have learned many valuable traits about insurance and billing.
co workers
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 16, 2015
The Health Dept. have a diverse group of people from various backgrounds. It is a very interesting place to work because you will meet people from other countries, cultures and it is wonderful.
ADH Review
Research Statistical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 11, 2015
During the time period working at Arkansas Department of Health gave me an opportunity to learn new skills and acquire additional training.
Pros
Promote wellness, nutrition and fitness
Cons
compensation
Great Opportunities
Health Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 10, 2015
Great place to grow, develop, train, and advance. Great examples in leadership and great opportunities to learn and gain knowledge. Supportive managment and executives.
too many jobs
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wynne, ARSeptember 24, 2015
would be a nice job but at the clinic that I worked at you have wear too many other hats other than being the clinic nurse for such low pay.
Signed people up for medicaid and the affordable care act insurance
Insurance In-Person Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARSeptember 16, 2015
It was a typical desk job. I came in at 8am and worked until 4pm. I signed up clients for insurance on a walk-in basis. Management and co-workers were laid back, as long I as was productive.
Productive and a great Job to work
insurance Biller, customer service (Current Employee) –  little Rock ArAugust 6, 2015
I love working with the State of Arkansas.
I love the hours, The Retirment Plans, and co workers are enjoyable, easy to get along with. I have learned alot of different things within 9 years,
It's a fun and friendly place to work
Health Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 27, 2015
I start my day off by printing off schedule for the day. Signing in to all programs that we use. Calling clients up to review and recieve paper work to process for WIC. I have very nice and loving co-workers. The hardest part of my job is telling a client they are not eligble for WIC service because of there income. My most enjoyable day is getting to see the little babies and children and also being able to help clients we they need it.
Stable Workplace
Health Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 20, 2015
I enjoy my employment and all the opportunities available. I have learned so much during my tenure here at the state government level and working in the Directors closely with Deputy Science Officer. He is full of history and knowledge. The challenges are always a stepping stone for me to learn and become better on my job and career path. I am seeking a similar employment to relocate.
State
Health Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Russellville, ARApril 16, 2015
I loved this job but the pay is to little for the amount of work that we all preform. I enjoy helping others and this job is one where you are always helping others.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
30 Minute lunch
Great place to work.
Health Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Star City, ARApril 2, 2015
A typical day at work consists of keeping fellow employees organized, customer services, payroll and scheduling. I really have to be organized and multitask.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No advancement
No teamwork and poor managment!!
RN case manager home health (Former Employee) –  Heber Springs ARFebruary 19, 2015
I worked at this office and it was a total nightmare! One nurse is allowed to schedule team members to do all admissions and lengthy visits, and send team members on routes that are not even in the same direction! They can't keep the spot filled due to people becoming so fed up with the lack of teamwork and unfair workload resulting in hours of charting at home you won't get paid for!! The supervisor who should take the initiative to counsel said nurse and discuss equal workload (as you are all on salary) and sensible route.scheduling never addresses issues and is essentially spineless. She has no place in a supervisory role because she ignores all issues and allows bullying in the workplace.
Pros
sometimes flexible
Cons
uncompensated hours at home, poor teamwork, lackadaisical supervisor
Very well balanced
In Home Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fordyce, ARJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day was very busy, and quite a bit of data entry. I learned a lot from this business. Management was great. I enjoyed this job.
Pros
breaks
Cons
na
Rewarding place to work--good balance of work and family life
Health Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 9, 2014
Great place to make a difference in everyday life. Constantly learning new information about the impact the agency has on things that go unnoticed, from water safety to tobacco use.
ADH
HR Generalist II Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 17, 2014
The organization/agency itself is wonderful, however it is middle management heavy which can be frustrating at times. Great benefits and work-life balance.
Pros
work life balance and benefits. great retirement package.
Cons
too much middle management
Flexible work hours
Benefits Technician (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARSeptember 3, 2014
Constant workflow with an array of clients.
Spent a lot of time doing community outreach.
I learned how to deal with a variety of people.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to help someone who really needed assistance.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the gratitude of the people I was helping.
Pros
most days spent out of the office in community settings.
Cons
no benefits
Teamwork oriented and family friendly
In Home Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJuly 29, 2014
I've enjoyed the past six years with the Health Department learning about the healthcare world and office tasks. I feel it has helped me grow with the responsibilities I have been given in maintaining daily operations with little to no direct supervision at times. Management here is extremely helpful, realistic and always part of the team.
Pros
work hours, leave time, atmosphere
Cons
little room for advancement