Arkansas Department of Health Employee Reviews

Flexible hours and good company morale
Personal Care Aide (PCA) (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 15, 2017
A typical day depended on the client assigned to you. I learned to be more patient. The management was fair and understanding. The office setting was very pleasant. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the client personalities. The most enjoyable part talking and engaging in conversation with the clients
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay, traveling
A lot of constant changes
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 15, 2017
Although change is expected and it being a state agency there is, but it's very political as well. Not much room for advancement. A lot of employees are long time employees though. Salary is not competeive at all, not always compensated for experience and education
Benefits
Cons
Constant changes, politics
Arkansas Department of Health
UR Nurse (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 13, 2017
Although it seems a great place to work, it can be anything but. There is a lot of nepotism and there are far too many people working in supervisory positions that are inept and use the work of those under them as their own. There is an underlying and pervasive racist climate as well. Blacks who have a vast amount of experience are constantly placed as subordinates of less experienced and inept whites. If you thrive in a hostile environment or need benefits, then this is the place for you. The caveat is that the benefits aren't as great as those on Medicaid though.
Pros
Hour long lunch break
Productive day at work
Environmental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 20, 2017
A productive day of a workplace would be starting out returning phone calls and emails. I would follow up on everything necessary and go throughout my daily duties. I would make sure my job is done and successful. The most enjoyable part of working is having everything in order and reaching out to others.
Enjoyable place to work, Friendly atmosphere
Persoanl Care LPN (Former Employee) –  Harrison, ARJanuary 8, 2017
I was employed with Arkansas Department of Health for over 20 years, i worked in Home Health / Personal Care. I have enjoyed working there. The Home Health and Personal Care Departments closed down in 2016. Friendly, teamwork atmosphere with Home Health and the County Health Unit Clinic.
Pros
Work hours and bernifits
Cons
Job ended
Productive and enjoyable
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXJanuary 2, 2017
Loved working with the patients in my job as Case Manager. Enjoyed doing for them and getting them what they needed to live productively.
Fun place to work, not enough pay nor job stability
Helpline Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 9, 2016
Typical Day consisted of answering the helpline and assisting Medicaid / ARKids First recipients find a PCP and a medical home.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Short Breaks, No Vacation Time, Low Pay Rate
Productive and busy environment.
Translator (Current Employee) –  ArkansasDecember 3, 2016
Needs more improvements on helping patients with thier needs and services.
Nurses need to work harder
ADH needs to provide better service to the public
Needs more staff to serve patients faster
Appointments need to be done if its an emergency need
Supervisors should be more professional and understand that employees have families and sometimes they cannot be at work due family issues.
ADH should provide benefits for contact employees.
Pros
No benefits for contracts
Cons
No benefits for contracts poor pay
Working with the State is different
Health Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 22, 2016
Working in AASIS, there was always an opportunity to learn something interesting. Individuals from everywhere in the world and are ambitious creates a wonderful diverse workplace to grow with.
Pros
Amazing Staff
Cons
No overtime
Always changing
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 21, 2016
Worked there over then years ago, so things have changed tremendously since then. The staff at the time was very organized and worked together to benefit the public.
Great team atmosphere
Program Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 3, 2016
Great place to work as long as you're in the main office in LR. lots of opportunity for advancement and continuing education. People work great together in team atmosphere. Lots of activities for employees - healthy initiatives and programs. Staff are focused on getting the job done
Pros
Management fair and supportive of employees. Employees are made to feel appreciated
Cons
No advancement and isolation at the outlying offices.
Help workers who had been hurt on jobs
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 10, 2016
Non-stop ringing of phones. Clients coming in and out for various things. Sometimes slow paced, but rarely. Co-workers had been there a while. Enjoyed helping people.
Professional, fast paced and family oriented workplace
Licensed Practical Nurse (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARAugust 4, 2016
Trained as immunization nurse within one month. Quota meeting is encouraged of 15 patients daily. Computer entries slow meeting this quota tremendously. Awkward at first with patient watching you learn the computer system.
Public worked with was a lot of fun. Patients vary in age , culture and socioeconomic status.
Management is most helpful I have ever encountered in my 13+ years of working as a LPN.
Multiple "jobs" which you are cross-trained to perform. Encouraged to be working on others when not performing main duties.
LPN's limited by a few they are not allowed to perform . RN's utilized for those programs.
Ample Annual leave /sick leave accumulates quickly. Not allowed to take off for things like education etc unless leave used. No flexibility in scheduling with exception of using annual leave/ sick leave. So not able to return to college unless have worked there long enough to have a lot of leave accumulated which you can utilize.
Absolutely no part-time positions offered.
Depending on position: often had to arrive early and leave late but compensated if approved.
Often have to take a position in other city then apply for position in own city before getting the position first sought in order to "get-your-foot-in-the-door" so to speak.
Excessive amount of paperwork and computer data entry per patient.
Large volume of policies and procedures to learn and follow.
Pay competitive for Arkansas nursing and based on years experience.
Co-Workers are a team and act as family.
I personally would not recommend for new graduates.
Pros
Multiple programs learned and utilized throughout one day.
Cons
Very few positions open for licensed practical nurses, Many open to registered nurses. Experience does not matter. No yearly raises, only what is called a merit raise if everyone across the board gets one.
Low pay good hours
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Crittenden County, ARAugust 1, 2016
Be prepared to get no pay for home time of errands. Low pay. If looking for a govt job try federal. This is the lowest paying job I've had since being a nurse. This is a job for an older person who has other means of income from a spouse. This is definitely not a job for a single parent.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Low pay
Great coworkers and fun events
Health Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ARJuly 7, 2016
I have learned patience. The manager and coworkers were easy to work with and eager to help. Reading nurses notes was the hardest part of the job. I enjoyed having all information on new patients available for my nurses.
Benefits
Cons
Overly loud conversations from the clinic on opposite side of the building
Traveling to homes was great
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARJune 23, 2016
I had several clients out in the Cotter/Gassville, AR area. My clients brought me great joy and made working with them no less than wonderful. A typical day at work was the drive to work, client one: visit, clean, laundry, visit and leave. Client 2: she just wanted company, so we visited and made sure her personal care was complete daily. Client 3: I would prepare breakfast or lunch depending on the shift assigned, and I would assist in the shower and shaving, then my day would be done. I loved my clients. My co-workers and I didn't actually work together, so there's not much I can say. Management for the most part, was pretty good. They stayed on top of things. I did have an issue with one of the schedulers, but was taken care of in a peaceful manner. Traveling was fun, once I got to know the path I took daily. The hardest part is one of my clients treated me as the "maid" instead of a personal caregiver.
Pros
Set Schedule. Amazing clients.
Cons
Not many incentives. Scheduling issues.
Busy fast-paced medical office
HEALTH SERVICES SPECIALIST II (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARApril 21, 2016
On a typical day I answer patient phone calls, check patients in for appointments and gather information pertaining to the financial side of the visit. When the patient is finished with the appointment I check them out and take payment and schedule any follow-up appointment.
Good enough for government work
Environmental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northwest ArkansasMarch 13, 2016
Job/career is stable. State legislature keeps cost of living raises minimal and has turned merit raises into small bonuses. You will not likely make above entry level under the current career pay plans. Any tools provided to you are usually inadequate because they were purchased from a lowest bidder and obsolete by the time the purchase was approved. It feels like most things are planned towards the average standards of 5-10 years ago instead of adopting technological changes that have been made in the last two decades.
Poor atmospher
Home Services Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 31, 2016
Horrible place to work for. Management is very clickish. They will work you off the clock and not pay you. Drove more hours then what was told to expect. Hateful nurses to work with.
paid well and that's it
Emergency Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 4, 2016
Paid well and learned alot. the only thing I dislike about this job was my coworkers. There was no comrade in sight there. great supervisor though

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Department of Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Arkansas Department of Health Reviews by Location