Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible pay. Horrible culture
Residential Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warren, ARFebruary 7, 2016
Very, very low pay for the amount of duties and responsibility that are assigned. Administration is totally unaware as to the needs of the clients and staff. Staff are so discouraged and overworked that it has created a poor work environment. Benefits are good, especially the accrual of leave time, but one can't use the leave time because of an embarrassing lack of total staff. Client care is poor because of general lack of experienced care givers due to extremely high turn over rate.
Pros
Benefits, insurance, retirement
Cons
Low pay, high stress, lack of support, dangerous
management is not good
program eligibility specialist (Former Employee) –  Searcy, AROctober 29, 2015
The co workers are good to work with. Management will tell you they are behind you and have your back but they only care about their selves. Management will pile on work set you up to fail. If you have health issues which worsen with stress. This is not the job for you. Management will lie to your face and conspire against the workers to have them written up or fired
Pros
good health benefits, paid holidays
Cons
Management need to care about their employees instead of out dor themselves
Employee pay is not enough.
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 30, 2015
Agency should base salary on experience and not start everyone of at base salary. Could also have better management. In certain department there is not room for growth.
DHS, Arkansas
Staff Development (Current Employee) –  Little Rock ARJuly 7, 2015
DHS provides an amazing network of services for Arkansas citizens. The workplace allows for adequate time to balance life and work. Benefits are acceptable and salaries are generally low for the jobs done. The opportunity for advancement occurs only by changing jobs, as the pay scale raises require legislative approval for the entire agency. These are general lump sum payments when approved, not movement up the annual salary scale.
Pros
Satisfying work
Cons
low pay and limited advancement
Retired
SLAVE (Former Employee) –  COUNTY OFFICEJuly 25, 2016
if you value your health (both physical and mental) DO NOT WORK FOR DHS in one of the county offices. I was lucky to be able to retire.. The stress level is off the chart. Not enough employees in the County offices. The new Curam medicaid system does not function properly. Huge back-log of medicaid applications. Clients screaming at us eight hours a day, seven days a week. I could go on and on. On the other hand, a job with DHS Central Office in Little Rock would not be as bad. They don't have to deal directly with the public. They make the policies that make county workers lives a living he!! on earth.
Pros
Cons
Working there
I loved assisting families in need.
Child Abuse Investigator (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARSeptember 7, 2015
Working closely with families, the community, local authorities was very fulfilling. The on-call duties was challenging because we were short staffed we were on-call more frequently.
Pros
paid holidays, good health benifits
Cons
frequent shortage of staff to assist the families in need
Working at DHS is the most stressful job I EVER had
Local Office Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARMarch 3, 2016
It's not the public that stresses you, it's the people who ride your back all day... it seems like you can never do enough and they never appreciate what you do. County offices are horrible. You deal with the supervisors having their picks and the picks get to do whatever whenever while you pick up slack. I dealt with racism, got called names and after I made a complaint I got treated like a dog by the supervisors who just kept loading me up with job duties. Faulkner Co. Can't be the only office doing this.. I heard it happens in alot of offices. Does no good to complain.. keep a lawyer on your side.
Pros
Your helping the public
Cons
Horrible work environment
Horrible place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poinsett County, ARApril 28, 2016
I worked as an "Administrative Assistant". The job was advertised as having benefits. I got none. It was advertised as making $22,00-$37,000 a year, I made $18,000. I told my boss going in that I missed a lot of work for sickness. I missed a week and had a doctors excuse, missed a few more days, all excused by a doctor, and was fired. The employees, including the clerical manager, spend most of their time talking bad about the clients. If this sounds like a good place to work, Poinsett County DHS is definitely for you!
Very unprofessional horrible management Jonesboro Human Development Center
Rct (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJuly 10, 2016
I have never been in setting so unprofessional, to the point they even have a code to call when the staff is in a physical altercation. They have a tremendous turn over rate with staff, and this is for several reasons. 1. The staff is very unprofessional and rude to new employees. 2. They have no break, you work a straight 8 hours and with a job as stressful as this can be... taking a moment for self and getting a break from the monotony is necessary. 3. In orientation they tell you how you get help here and here, and frankly you just do not!! The lack of support from your co-workers is ridiculous. There is NO team work. 4. They basically hire young kids 18 19 years old who have never had to hold down a job much less behave as if this is a job and not the high school hall ways. I love working with people whom have development disabilities, but your co-workers make this job miserable!! Management has alot to work on if they are ever going to fix the issues they have with retaining the employees and ensuring the quality and safety of their residents.
Pros
Love the residents, job security! because they cant keep anyone they definitely wont fire you!
Cons
Pay, management, lack of support and team work. Horrible environment.
Unprofessional and Very Unorganized
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Phillips County, ARJuly 21, 2016
Philip's county DCFS is the worst place to work. Limited to no resources, very unorganized and dysfunctional. Supervisors always stating policy, but self made policy. There is No support from supervisors in office, region, or state office. One big sad dysfunctional joke!
Pros
Benefits and Co-Workers
Cons
Work Environment, Supervisors, Safety, and Pay
Well... Here it is
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 27, 2016
No place for the innovator in moving forward or advancement . Opportunities for advancement are obsolete. Positions are inherited or chosen. No matter how much you know they will keep you as low on the pay scale as possible. Morale is diminishing.
Pros
hours
Cons
Stagnant
Worst place I've worked
Family Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Paris, ARJune 10, 2016
Horrible working environment. No professionalism. Stereotypical small town attitudes. The only enjoyable thing about this position is the clients.
Pros
Clients
Cons
management, long hours, lack of professionalism
DCFS FSW is Hard Work
DCFS Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodruff CountyJanuary 23, 2013
Being a Family Service Worker is hard work and it can be dangerous out there in protecting the children. It was adrenaline rush and action when I was a FSW but I got burned out. DCFS needs to strongly praised and more recognition needs to be for DCFS. It is a great job and a excellent job if you are an investigator. Case Management Work is tough. I worked with some great co-workers and supervisors! I actually cried I left but it had to be done because I simply got burned out. There is a big need for some good strong & knowledgeable people to keep children away from abuse & neglect.
Pros
action packed in investigations, great co-workers and pto.
Cons
long hours if you not use to it (dcfs), dangerous life & death in some areas (dcfs)
state job
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 27, 2016
Of course state jobs don't pay that well but have excellent benefits and all the holidays off. Just needs to pay more
Great Opportunity to develop strong interpersonal skills, communication skills, and professionalism
SOCIAL SERVICE WORKER I (Food Stamps/Work Program) (Former Employee) –  Walnut Ridge, ArkansasOctober 3, 2012
This was my first professional job in an office seting. I had the opportunity to learn and grow as a human services professional. I provided food stamps and work program case management. I helped individuals obtain food stamps and helped them to transition into successful employment, Again the hardest part of the job was the constyant changes in policy, procedure and documentation requirements.
Pros
great co-workers and supervisors, great atmosphere and good benefits
Cons
the constant changes, being held accountable for client/program participants actions/failures beyond my control
Chaotic Management
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 16, 2013
Management is more concerned about the rules than quality of service or quality of working environment. Get reamed out if you start before 8:00 or work a minute past 4:30. Immediate supervisor had already retired in her own mind and was unavailable and/or unapproachable. Decisions were not made with all players participating in the process and as a result, they got revamped MANY times, and often received contradictory directives. Many go to work there thinking they will make a difference in people's lives...and leave very disenchanted with the chaotic and unsupportive environment.
benefits
Cons
lack of leadership on part of supervisors and upper management
Must maintain good time management skills.
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARSeptember 15, 2012
A typical day at work consists of processing cases where I determine the eligibility of clients for state funded benefits. Processing cases timely so that the clients receive benefits in 30 days. Interviewing clients to assist in also determining the eligibility of the clients to receive benefits. My co-workers are really good about maintaining a comfortable work environment. The hardest part of the job would probably be staying calm under pressure especially when I come in contact with a hostile client.
Pros
pto, benefits, state holidays
Cons
the main con would probably be having too much work to be able to complete in an 8 hour day, not being able to work overtime.
Positive and productive work place.
RN Utilization Review Arkansas Medicaid (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 10, 2015
The best nursing job I have ever had. Great management and co-workers. Great benefits. I only left due to marriage and relocating to be with my husband.
Pros
great hours. great benefits.
Cons
pay scale could of been a little hire.
Job was stressful at sometimes but l enjoyed helping general public
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARFebruary 27, 2014
Typical day at work was a little stressful and busy.

Learned to be patience and be multi-tasker.

Management- N/A

Co-workers was helpful at times.

The hardest part of the job was getting deadlines done promptly.

Most enjoyable part of the job was helping the general public.
Pros
benefits, advancement, 401k, retirement
Cons
environment stressful at times, negative supervisor
Work
Recycle Manager (Current Employee) –  little rockOctober 9, 2015
You work hard but little money. Its ok to work for little money. You have some good people and bad people. The work is easy but people are mean here and all about them self. Hard to move up to a better paying job.
Pros
working mon thur friday
Cons
no weekends

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Department Of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6