Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews

Horrible pay. Horrible culture
Residential Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warren, ARFebruary 7, 2016
Very, very low pay for the amount of duties and responsibility that are assigned. Administration is totally unaware as to the needs of the clients and staff. Staff are so discouraged and overworked that it has created a poor work environment. Benefits are good, especially the accrual of leave time, but one can't use the leave time because of an embarrassing lack of total staff. Client care is poor because of general lack of experienced care givers due to extremely high turn over rate.
Pros
Benefits, insurance, retirement
Cons
Low pay, high stress, lack of support, dangerous
Crazy and stressful...with little rewards
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Paris, ARJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at work...well there is no typical day at work when you work for this agency. You might start a day at 8am and not get home until 8pm depending upon how many children you have to pick up and place. Oh and finding placement in foster homes/shelters is very difficult since Arkansas has no where for these kiddos to go. The system is broke financially and from within. Little Rock runs the show and really does not care about those workers in smaller towns. If someone leaves the job no one gets into a hurry to hire someone else. Why would they when they could just overwork the ones still there for the same amount of money? Something has to give in this system and I don't think that it is all about money. I think some of those people in Little Rock need a dose of what goes on and then they could relate. I thought that I was going to be able to help people at this job but there is not enough time and resources available to work the kind of miracles they want you to work. The hardest part of the job is the stress. There is always something over your head and if you care at all then you will never succeed. I was told that 'I cared too much". I did not think that was possible. Also, the politics that play out in this agency is ridiculous. I thought we were supposed to put family's back together. But instead it was who could outwit who in court. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you were fully staffed and you could have an 8 hr day. Sometimes you actually could help someone and that felt good. But that was not the case most of the time. In a nutshell this job is  more... very stressful, low-paying (for all the responsibilities), long hours and lots and lots and lots of travel. I put 40, 000 miles on my vehicle in a year. If you have children do not expect to see them hardly ever. Don't even get me started on the on-call. That's right...you have to go on-call as well. It differs in different counties. In my county which was fairly small. A worker would go on call from Friday at 4pm until the following Friday at 8am. It was a very long week. You would be by yourself and cover 3 counties. You would only get paid if you had to go on call. Unless something drastically change this job will never be worth it for anyone.  less
Benefits
Cons
Stress, low pay
Employee pay is not enough.
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 30, 2015
Agency should base salary on experience and not start everyone of at base salary. Could also have better management. In certain department there is not room for growth.
management is not good
program eligibility specialist (Former Employee) –  Searcy, AROctober 29, 2015
The co workers are good to work with. Management will tell you they are behind you and have your back but they only care about their selves. Management will pile on work set you up to fail. If you have health issues which worsen with stress. This is not the job for you. Management will lie to your face and conspire against the workers to have them written up or fired
Pros
good health benefits, paid holidays
Cons
Management need to care about their employees instead of out dor themselves
Work
Recycle Manager (Current Employee) –  little rockOctober 9, 2015
You work hard but little money. Its ok to work for little money. You have some good people and bad people. The work is easy but people are mean here and all about them self. Hard to move up to a better paying job.
Pros
working mon thur friday
Cons
no weekends
I loved assisting families in need.
Child Abuse Investigator (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARSeptember 7, 2015
Working closely with families, the community, local authorities was very fulfilling. The on-call duties was challenging because we were short staffed we were on-call more frequently.
Pros
paid holidays, good health benifits
Cons
frequent shortage of staff to assist the families in need
great company
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Benton, ARAugust 14, 2015
productive, and very client centered . the environment is moderate overall not a bad organization to work for. A good start to working in the public sector and prepares you for good a good medaciad/insurance background.
Document Examiner (Former Employee) –  Camden, ARJuly 22, 2015
I enjoyed the people I worked with very much. There is a lot of red tape in dealing with policy and procedures, but once learned, it is pleasant
AR DHS
Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 16, 2015
Arkansas Department of Human Services is a place that provides an array of public assistance to the citizens of Arkansas that help them become and remain self sufficient.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
Long Work Hours
DHS, Arkansas
Staff Development (Current Employee) –  Little Rock ARJuly 7, 2015
DHS provides an amazing network of services for Arkansas citizens. The workplace allows for adequate time to balance life and work. Benefits are acceptable and salaries are generally low for the jobs done. The opportunity for advancement occurs only by changing jobs, as the pay scale raises require legislative approval for the entire agency. These are general lump sum payments when approved, not movement up the annual salary scale.
Pros
Satisfying work
Cons
low pay and limited advancement
Temporary position
Documents Examiner II (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJune 9, 2015
Assisted Manager- Answered phone, took messages, made copies,sent faxes, and helped with scheduling. Most employees were nice. Human services agency.
Pros
Day shift, office job
Cons
Temporary job
Nice location and great supervisor.
Volunteer Transporter (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 12, 2015
The atmosphere was pleasant and the employess were helpful in assisting me in the job position for which I was in training.
Pros
Free training
Cons
observing children who had been abused
Stable working environment with full benefits package
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stuttgart, ARMay 3, 2015
The job is very mentally stimulating which if very important to me. I have enough work to keep me busy throughout my day, but it is not an overwhelming load. The management team is helpful and understanding. My coworkers are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is being enclosed in an office for most of the day. The most enjoyable part is helping others.
Very good place to work.
case manager (Former Employee) –  hot springs,arMarch 1, 2015
Had to report to work at a 8 am. Had to return phone calls and would make home visits to clients and return to office and write up reports.
Pros
insurance provided
Cons
only 30 minutes lunch
Positive and productive work place.
RN Utilization Review Arkansas Medicaid (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 10, 2015
The best nursing job I have ever had. Great management and co-workers. Great benefits. I only left due to marriage and relocating to be with my husband.
Pros
great hours. great benefits.
Cons
pay scale could of been a little hire.
A job for people with a heart for service to others
Investigation Unit Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, ArkansasJanuary 26, 2015
No 2 days are the same. A very unpredictable job. I have learned to value coworkers and the team spirit. It is a blessing to have people surrounding you with the common goal of protection of children and service to keep family units in tact. The most enjoyable is the ability to reunite kids with families after the necessary services have been provided to ensure their welfare.
Pros
healthcare and flexible schedule
Cons
hostile work environment
Interesting work
JR Mayer (Current Employee) –  Hot SpringsJanuary 22, 2015
I enjoy the work at AR DHS. There is always the challenge of data mining the necessary research required prior to completing an investigation with the actual field work. I have a wonderful supervisor and department. The down side is the compensation.
Administrative Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 20, 2015
Government job. Overall great place to work. Everyday was a challenge however, I looked forward to completing the tasks at hand.
Rewarding work, demanding, low pay
Case manager, Investigator, Generalist (Former Employee) –  Monticello, ARJanuary 4, 2015
A typical day at work involved checking in with clients and with other staff involved with clients, and documenting interactions and interventions. Most of my work was independent of others and the volume of work was high. There was very little consistent, reliable support, even from those with jobs that included providing support.
On a typical day I heard "that's not my job" way too many times when listening to interactions between co-workers.

I learned how government offices can make problems when problems don't exist and how they can turn small problems into catastrophes. I also learned how avoid these problems in order to do my work in such a way that nobody suffered and my clients benefited.

Management was best described as iron fisted in a haphazard sort of way.

I had several dynamite co-workers, but many who were miraculously terrible.

The hardest part of the job was trying to help families with minimal resources at my disposal.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the public.
Pros
overtime was banked and could be used for vacation time or cashed out, weekends off with little call
Cons
horrible work atmosphere, management with closed door policy, lazy co-workers
Horrible County Supervisor. .Horrible Area Director and Horrible Place to Work
Family Service Worker (FSW) (Former Employee) –  West Memphis (Crittenden County)December 3, 2014
This job is not for anyone with children. You put in very very very very long hours with minimal pay 50-60 plus hours weekly but have to fight for your overtime. This company expect you to work yourself to death at the expense of kids and family. Example: typical work day starts at 8am and may end by 8-10pm...if you not placing kids then it may end anywhere from 11pm to 2am the next morning. Then they expect you to report to work by 8am tye next day.They do not follow there own policies and often take advantage of families who are uneducated by lying in court saying what services they've provided to families knowing they are barely seeing the children who are in state custody. So they are most definitely not seeing the families let alone offering services. There motto is family preserverance; however, this is far from the truth. There is absolutely no support from the current County Supervisor (Crittenden County). She is selfish and only look out for herself. If you do decide to take this position against better judgement PLEASE BE PREPARED TO DOCUMENT ALL YOU DO AND KEEP ALL EMAILS. This chick and her boss Cyndi Rowlett are PURE EVIL! The turnover rate at this job is atrocious. RUN FAR AWAY FAST AS YOU CAN! PLEASE TAKE HEED TO THE WARNING!!!
Pros
working with the families
Cons
lack of support from supervisors, horrible stress, work hours, pay, crazy colleagues (literally psycho--crystal griffith)!