Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews

To much stress with no pay
Teacher's assistant (Former Employee) –  Conway, AROctober 13, 2016
CHDC is a horrible place to work. The clients are wonderful. Most of the staff is ok. Then you have some that will stab you in the back. Seniority doesn't exist there. Your supervisor doesn't have your back. Administration sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they close the place in the next 10 years.
Pros
Cons
Health insurance
Enjoyed working here and the perks were great
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, AROctober 8, 2016
I worked at the job for 29 years retiring in 2014
The job was at times stressful but the benefits (insurance, paid time off, sick leave) were wonderful especially when raising children
The management was great
The hardest part of the job was usually the stress and time lines
The best part of the job was working with so many different people and actually being able to help people most of the time
Benefits
Cons
Very high stressed job
Very demanding position.
Adult Protective Services Foster Care (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 16, 2016
This position in my humble opinion was very stressful. There were no Federal caps on the number of foster cases an individual could be assigned to and in the end, I was assigned to 50 families due to high turn over in the office.
Pros
I feel like I could make a difference in the lives of families in Arkansas.
Cons
There was not enough time to do the job proficiently.
Dog Eat Dog
Program Eligibility Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stuttgart, ARAugust 10, 2016
Very competitive culture. People are scrounging for leads and clients when they walk though the door. You have to know your co-workers well enough to know who won't cut your throat. The best part was helping people get huge refunds.
Assist clients in day to day work
DHS Program Manager/Planning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 10, 2016
Busy day in the department I worked in. timeframes and deadliens. Busy from beginning to end. Co-workers were friendly and got along well. Quick turn around time for things at the job.
Retired
SLAVE (Former Employee) –  COUNTY OFFICEJuly 25, 2016
if you value your health (both physical and mental) DO NOT WORK FOR DHS in one of the county offices. I was lucky to be able to retire.. The stress level is off the chart. Not enough employees in the County offices. The new Curam medicaid system does not function properly. Huge back-log of medicaid applications. Clients screaming at us eight hours a day, seven days a week. I could go on and on. On the other hand, a job with DHS Central Office in Little Rock would not be as bad. They don't have to deal directly with the public. They make the policies that make county workers lives a living he!! on earth.
Pros
Cons
Working there
Unprofessional and Very Unorganized
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Phillips County, ARJuly 21, 2016
Philip's county DCFS is the worst place to work. Limited to no resources, very unorganized and dysfunctional. Supervisors always stating policy, but self made policy. There is No support from supervisors in office, region, or state office. One big sad dysfunctional joke!
Pros
Benefits and Co-Workers
Cons
Work Environment, Supervisors, Safety, and Pay
Very unprofessional horrible management Jonesboro Human Development Center
Rct (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJuly 10, 2016
I have never been in setting so unprofessional, to the point they even have a code to call when the staff is in a physical altercation. They have a tremendous turn over rate with staff, and this is for several reasons. 1. The staff is very unprofessional and rude to new employees. 2. They have no break, you work a straight 8 hours and with a job as stressful as this can be... taking a moment for self and getting a break from the monotony is necessary. 3. In orientation they tell you how you get help here and here, and frankly you just do not!! The lack of support from your co-workers is ridiculous. There is NO team work. 4. They basically hire young kids 18 19 years old who have never had to hold down a job much less behave as if this is a job and not the high school hall ways. I love working with people whom have development disabilities, but your co-workers make this job miserable!! Management has alot to work on if they are ever going to fix the issues they have with retaining the employees and ensuring the quality and safety of their residents.
Pros
Love the residents, job security! because they cant keep anyone they definitely wont fire you!
Cons
Pay, management, lack of support and team work. Horrible environment.
state job
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 27, 2016
Of course state jobs don't pay that well but have excellent benefits and all the holidays off. Just needs to pay more
Worst place I've worked
Family Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Paris, ARJune 10, 2016
Horrible working environment. No professionalism. Stereotypical small town attitudes. The only enjoyable thing about this position is the clients.
Pros
Clients
Cons
management, long hours, lack of professionalism
Well... Here it is
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 27, 2016
No place for the innovator in moving forward or advancement . Opportunities for advancement are obsolete. Positions are inherited or chosen. No matter how much you know they will keep you as low on the pay scale as possible. Morale is diminishing.
Pros
hours
Cons
Stagnant
Horrible place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poinsett County, ARApril 28, 2016
I worked as an "Administrative Assistant". The job was advertised as having benefits. I got none. It was advertised as making $22,00-$37,000 a year, I made $18,000. I told my boss going in that I missed a lot of work for sickness. I missed a week and had a doctors excuse, missed a few more days, all excused by a doctor, and was fired. The employees, including the clerical manager, spend most of their time talking bad about the clients. If this sounds like a good place to work, Poinsett County DHS is definitely for you!
Working at DHS is the most stressful job I EVER had
Local Office Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARMarch 3, 2016
It's not the public that stresses you, it's the people who ride your back all day... it seems like you can never do enough and they never appreciate what you do. County offices are horrible. You deal with the supervisors having their picks and the picks get to do whatever whenever while you pick up slack. I dealt with racism, got called names and after I made a complaint I got treated like a dog by the supervisors who just kept loading me up with job duties. Faulkner Co. Can't be the only office doing this.. I heard it happens in alot of offices. Does no good to complain.. keep a lawyer on your side.
Pros
Your helping the public
Cons
Horrible work environment
Horrible pay. Horrible culture
Residential Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warren, ARFebruary 7, 2016
Very, very low pay for the amount of duties and responsibility that are assigned. Administration is totally unaware as to the needs of the clients and staff. Staff are so discouraged and overworked that it has created a poor work environment. Benefits are good, especially the accrual of leave time, but one can't use the leave time because of an embarrassing lack of total staff. Client care is poor because of general lack of experienced care givers due to extremely high turn over rate.
Pros
Benefits, insurance, retirement
Cons
Low pay, high stress, lack of support, dangerous
Crazy and stressful...with little rewards
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Paris, ARJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at work...well there is no typical day at work when you work for this agency. You might start a day at 8am and not get home until 8pm depending upon how many children you have to pick up and place. Oh and finding placement in foster homes/shelters is very difficult since Arkansas has no where for these kiddos to go. The system is broke financially and from within. Little Rock runs the show and really does not care about those workers in smaller towns. If someone leaves the job no one gets into a hurry to hire someone else. Why would they when they could just overwork the ones still there for the same amount of money? Something has to give in this system and I don't think that it is all about money. I think some of those people in Little Rock need a dose of what goes on and then they could relate. I thought that I was going to be able to help people at this job but there is not enough time and resources available to work the kind of miracles they want you to work. The hardest part of the job is the stress. There is always something over your head and if you care at all then you will never succeed. I was told that 'I cared too much". I did not think that was possible. Also, the politics that play out in this agency is ridiculous. I thought we were supposed to put family's back together. But instead it was who could outwit who in court. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you were fully staffed and you could have an 8 hr day. Sometimes you actually could help someone and that felt good. But that was not the case most of the time. In a nutshell this job is  more... very stressful, low-paying (for all the responsibilities), long hours and lots and lots and lots of travel. I put 40, 000 miles on my vehicle in a year. If you have children do not expect to see them hardly ever. Don't even get me started on the on-call. That's right...you have to go on-call as well. It differs in different counties. In my county which was fairly small. A worker would go on call from Friday at 4pm until the following Friday at 8am. It was a very long week. You would be by yourself and cover 3 counties. You would only get paid if you had to go on call. Unless something drastically change this job will never be worth it for anyone.  less
Benefits
Cons
Stress, low pay
Employee pay is not enough.
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 30, 2015
Agency should base salary on experience and not start everyone of at base salary. Could also have better management. In certain department there is not room for growth.
management is not good
program eligibility specialist (Former Employee) –  Searcy, AROctober 29, 2015
The co workers are good to work with. Management will tell you they are behind you and have your back but they only care about their selves. Management will pile on work set you up to fail. If you have health issues which worsen with stress. This is not the job for you. Management will lie to your face and conspire against the workers to have them written up or fired
Pros
good health benefits, paid holidays
Cons
Management need to care about their employees instead of out dor themselves
Work
Recycle Manager (Current Employee) –  little rockOctober 9, 2015
You work hard but little money. Its ok to work for little money. You have some good people and bad people. The work is easy but people are mean here and all about them self. Hard to move up to a better paying job.
Pros
working mon thur friday
Cons
no weekends
I loved assisting families in need.
Child Abuse Investigator (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARSeptember 7, 2015
Working closely with families, the community, local authorities was very fulfilling. The on-call duties was challenging because we were short staffed we were on-call more frequently.
Pros
paid holidays, good health benifits
Cons
frequent shortage of staff to assist the families in need
great company
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Benton, ARAugust 14, 2015
productive, and very client centered . the environment is moderate overall not a bad organization to work for. A good start to working in the public sector and prepares you for good a good medaciad/insurance background.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Department Of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9