Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews

management is not good
program eligibility specialist (Former Employee) –  Searcy, AROctober 29, 2015
The co workers are good to work with. Management will tell you they are behind you and have your back but they only care about their selves. Management will pile on work set you up to fail. If you have health issues which worsen with stress. This is not the job for you. Management will lie to your face and conspire against the workers to have them written up or fired
Pros
good health benefits, paid holidays
Cons
Management need to care about their employees instead of out dor themselves
Horrible pay. Horrible culture
Residential Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warren, ARFebruary 7, 2016
Very, very low pay for the amount of duties and responsibility that are assigned. Administration is totally unaware as to the needs of the clients and staff. Staff are so discouraged and overworked that it has created a poor work environment. Benefits are good, especially the accrual of leave time, but one can't use the leave time because of an embarrassing lack of total staff. Client care is poor because of general lack of experienced care givers due to extremely high turn over rate.
Pros
Benefits, insurance, retirement
Cons
Low pay, high stress, lack of support, dangerous
Retired
SLAVE (Former Employee) –  COUNTY OFFICEJuly 25, 2016
if you value your health (both physical and mental) DO NOT WORK FOR DHS in one of the county offices. I was lucky to be able to retire.. The stress level is off the chart. Not enough employees in the County offices. The new Curam medicaid system does not function properly. Huge back-log of medicaid applications. Clients screaming at us eight hours a day, seven days a week. I could go on and on. On the other hand, a job with DHS Central Office in Little Rock would not be as bad. They don't have to deal directly with the public. They make the policies that make county workers lives a living he!! on earth.
Pros
Cons
Working there
Very unprofessional horrible management Jonesboro Human Development Center
Rct (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJuly 10, 2016
I have never been in setting so unprofessional, to the point they even have a code to call when the staff is in a physical altercation. They have a tremendous turn over rate with staff, and this is for several reasons. 1. The staff is very unprofessional and rude to new employees. 2. They have no break, you work a straight 8 hours and with a job as stressful as this can be... taking a moment for self and getting a break from the monotony is necessary. 3. In orientation they tell you how you get help here and here, and frankly you just do not!! The lack of support from your co-workers is ridiculous. There is NO team work. 4. They basically hire young kids 18 19 years old who have never had to hold down a job much less behave as if this is a job and not the high school hall ways. I love working with people whom have development disabilities, but your co-workers make this job miserable!! Management has alot to work on if they are ever going to fix the issues they have with retaining the employees and ensuring the quality and safety of their residents.
Pros
Love the residents, job security! because they cant keep anyone they definitely wont fire you!
Cons
Pay, management, lack of support and team work. Horrible environment.
Very demanding position.
Adult Protective Services Foster Care (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 16, 2016
This position in my humble opinion was very stressful. There were no Federal caps on the number of foster cases an individual could be assigned to and in the end, I was assigned to 50 families due to high turn over in the office.
Pros
I feel like I could make a difference in the lives of families in Arkansas.
Cons
There was not enough time to do the job proficiently.
Working at DHS is the most stressful job I EVER had
Local Office Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARMarch 3, 2016
It's not the public that stresses you, it's the people who ride your back all day... it seems like you can never do enough and they never appreciate what you do. County offices are horrible. You deal with the supervisors having their picks and the picks get to do whatever whenever while you pick up slack. I dealt with racism, got called names and after I made a complaint I got treated like a dog by the supervisors who just kept loading me up with job duties. Faulkner Co. Can't be the only office doing this.. I heard it happens in alot of offices. Does no good to complain.. keep a lawyer on your side.
Pros
Your helping the public
Cons
Horrible work environment
Crazy and stressful...with little rewards
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Paris, ARJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at work...well there is no typical day at work when you work for this agency. You might start a day at 8am and not get home until 8pm depending upon how many children you have to pick up and place. Oh and finding placement in foster homes/shelters is very difficult since Arkansas has no where for these kiddos to go. The system is broke financially and from within. Little Rock runs the show and really does not care about those workers in smaller towns. If someone leaves the job no one gets into a hurry to hire someone else. Why would they when they could just overwork the ones still there for the same amount of money? Something has to give in this system and I don't think that it is all about money. I think some of those people in Little Rock need a dose of what goes on and then they could relate. I thought that I was going to be able to help people at this job but there is not enough time and resources available to work the kind of miracles they want you to work. The hardest part of the job is the stress. There is always something over your head and if you care at all then you will never succeed. I was told that 'I cared too much". I did not think that was possible. Also, the politics that play out in this agency is ridiculous. I thought we were supposed to put family's back together. But instead it was who could outwit who in court. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you were fully staffed and you could have an 8 hr day. Sometimes you actually could help someone and that felt good. But that was not the case most of the time. In a nutshell this job is  more... very stressful, low-paying (for all the responsibilities), long hours and lots and lots and lots of travel. I put 40, 000 miles on my vehicle in a year. If you have children do not expect to see them hardly ever. Don't even get me started on the on-call. That's right...you have to go on-call as well. It differs in different counties. In my county which was fairly small. A worker would go on call from Friday at 4pm until the following Friday at 8am. It was a very long week. You would be by yourself and cover 3 counties. You would only get paid if you had to go on call. Unless something drastically change this job will never be worth it for anyone.  less
Benefits
Cons
Stress, low pay
Horrible place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poinsett County, ARApril 28, 2016
I worked as an "Administrative Assistant". The job was advertised as having benefits. I got none. It was advertised as making $22,00-$37,000 a year, I made $18,000. I told my boss going in that I missed a lot of work for sickness. I missed a week and had a doctors excuse, missed a few more days, all excused by a doctor, and was fired. The employees, including the clerical manager, spend most of their time talking bad about the clients. If this sounds like a good place to work, Poinsett County DHS is definitely for you!
Unprofessional and Very Unorganized
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Phillips County, ARJuly 21, 2016
Philip's county DCFS is the worst place to work. Limited to no resources, very unorganized and dysfunctional. Supervisors always stating policy, but self made policy. There is No support from supervisors in office, region, or state office. One big sad dysfunctional joke!
Pros
Benefits and Co-Workers
Cons
Work Environment, Supervisors, Safety, and Pay
Dog Eat Dog
Program Eligibility Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stuttgart, ARAugust 10, 2016
Very competitive culture. People are scrounging for leads and clients when they walk though the door. You have to know your co-workers well enough to know who won't cut your throat. The best part was helping people get huge refunds.
Assist clients in day to day work
DHS Program Manager/Planning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 10, 2016
Busy day in the department I worked in. timeframes and deadliens. Busy from beginning to end. Co-workers were friendly and got along well. Quick turn around time for things at the job.
Employee pay is not enough.
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 30, 2015
Agency should base salary on experience and not start everyone of at base salary. Could also have better management. In certain department there is not room for growth.
Well... Here it is
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 27, 2016
No place for the innovator in moving forward or advancement . Opportunities for advancement are obsolete. Positions are inherited or chosen. No matter how much you know they will keep you as low on the pay scale as possible. Morale is diminishing.
Pros
hours
Cons
Stagnant
Worst place I've worked
Family Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Paris, ARJune 10, 2016
Horrible working environment. No professionalism. Stereotypical small town attitudes. The only enjoyable thing about this position is the clients.
Pros
Clients
Cons
management, long hours, lack of professionalism
DCFS FSW is Hard Work
DCFS Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodruff CountyJanuary 23, 2013
Being a Family Service Worker is hard work and it can be dangerous out there in protecting the children. It was adrenaline rush and action when I was a FSW but I got burned out. DCFS needs to strongly praised and more recognition needs to be for DCFS. It is a great job and a excellent job if you are an investigator. Case Management Work is tough. I worked with some great co-workers and supervisors! I actually cried I left but it had to be done because I simply got burned out. There is a big need for some good strong & knowledgeable people to keep children away from abuse & neglect.
Pros
action packed in investigations, great co-workers and pto.
Cons
long hours if you not use to it (dcfs), dangerous life & death in some areas (dcfs)
DHS, Arkansas
Staff Development (Current Employee) –  Little Rock ARJuly 7, 2015
DHS provides an amazing network of services for Arkansas citizens. The workplace allows for adequate time to balance life and work. Benefits are acceptable and salaries are generally low for the jobs done. The opportunity for advancement occurs only by changing jobs, as the pay scale raises require legislative approval for the entire agency. These are general lump sum payments when approved, not movement up the annual salary scale.
Pros
Satisfying work
Cons
low pay and limited advancement
state job
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 27, 2016
Of course state jobs don't pay that well but have excellent benefits and all the holidays off. Just needs to pay more
Job was stressful at sometimes but l enjoyed helping general public
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARFebruary 27, 2014
Typical day at work was a little stressful and busy.

Learned to be patience and be multi-tasker.

Management- N/A

Co-workers was helpful at times.

The hardest part of the job was getting deadlines done promptly.

Most enjoyable part of the job was helping the general public.
Pros
benefits, advancement, 401k, retirement
Cons
environment stressful at times, negative supervisor
Fast paced work environment
Executive Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 28, 2013
Each day brought new crises to handle. Reading, responding and reminding were the 3 most important parts of my role as Administrative Assistant to the Director of Medicaid. There were not enough hours in the day to accommodate all the people that needed to meet with him therefore I became quite adept working in Outlook calendar. I was expected to know virtually every problem that arose and how to best get it solved involving the proper people. The management are all very knowledgeable and the co-workers all worked together to attain the goals. Obamacare and Medicaid Reform are the hot topics and Arkansas has been fortunate to lead the nation on reform. I am very proud to have been a part of that.
Pros
Job Security, Challenging
Cons
Fast paced, frustrating
Too much politics interfere with ability to do job
FSW Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 3, 2013
DHS/DCFS is filled with very dedicated and idealistic people. The mission of the agency is to help strengthen families and protect children. However, there are many dynamics involved in that mission. I recommend that you understand that it is very unlikely that you will make this job a long term career. The constant stress leads to a high turnover rate that adds to the stress of the job. A lack of placements available for teenagers results in a lot of long nights and much time spent on the road away from you family. Then you have to balance the demands of the agency, your clients, and the juvenile court. And that is just the beginning!
Pros
lots of good co-workers, helping people, fast paced, everyday is different
Cons
low pay, long hours, on-call, when things go wrong, (and they do frequently) the administration is quick to look for someone to blame and fire

2.6