Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews

Something different everyday
Rcss (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARMay 22, 2017
This is a great place to work if you want a career, always opportunities to move up, you get to help people who can't help themselves, the people you care for looks up to you
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 17, 2017
This really varies from section to section, some sections are wonderful, others horrible. It took 3 mnths for my paycheck to be corrected. Money was being taken out for insurance but the paperwork was not sent to the company (I did not get the money back yet was unable to use the account until just before I left). Procedures change frequently, often multiple changes in one day. I was lied to about the job in the interview. I was led to believe "flex hours" were available but when I asked after starting, I was told it was only for parents. I was given no orientation. Asking questions about job tasks was strongly discouraged and stated to be part of "not being a team player." (I trained new employees in another job and know that is "hog wash!") Reasonable accomodations were not given for a mild disability despite my repeated requests. Training was very "hit and miss" and often contradictory.

There's some very good employees, but way too much red-tape to feel you are doing much good. It seemed like management spent more time changing procedures than managing the various services the agencies oversees. The agency seems to be far too big to be efficient.
Pros
Some of my co-workers were very nice.
Cons
Way too big to be efficient.
Fun workplace
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 7, 2017
There's room for advancement. They help pay for your work related schooling. A lot of overtime . Biweekly pay. Great benefits. Located at the heart of the State's capital city.
Pros
No micromanaging
Cons
Poor pay
Excessive stress, no help from Management
Local office Administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMay 2, 2017
When I started, this seemed like they would be perfect. It quickly became a nightmare of work overload, miserable working conditions and getting shafted by upper management on job duties. No one I work with is happy and turn over is high. The benefits suck, too. I can't afford the health insurance on my salary but they pay me just enough so I can't qualify for state medicaid either. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have taken this job.
Pros
Stable hours
Cons
stress, poor management, excessive workload, no advancement
intense caseload - must enjoy staying busy
Case Manager/Program Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 27, 2017
Good fit for an individual willing to work with the most vulnerable and less fortunate in the community. Casework is heavy - the county processes more in all the counties combined
Working here was not worth it
Documents Examiner II (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, ARMarch 15, 2017
I worked in a place that tried to stop advancement and when it was reported, they just covered it up. The supervisor was manipulative and had an ugly spirit. Its all about who knows who here.
Hardwork required
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 6, 2017
Any position with this agency requires hardwork and compassion for the people you work with. You have to have a love for the work. It will be difficult but also rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Hard to find balance between work and personal life
Family Service Worker
FSW (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARFebruary 5, 2017
I've been a FSW for six months and it has been a roller coaster. Once I find a new job I'm leaving. This job is for a single person, with no children. It's very demanding and will spill over into your personal life. My coworkers are amazing, and we work together to get the job done. I typically work 12-14 hour days. The caseloads are high, and the work is impossible. The most rewarding part of my job is helping the children. It could be a great place to work if there were enough staff and a balance workload.
Pros
The children
Dco
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 1, 2017
Great Benefits and retirement pension plan is worth the wait. Various work titles from client service, medicaid compliance, Medical Review Team, or clerical intake worker.
Stressful, long hours, demanding job
DCFS County Supervisor (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJanuary 4, 2017
Low pay, long work hours, demanding, high case loads, very little help from upper management. no compensation for overtime at supervisor level, high turnover
Requires Self Motivation, Not for those easily stressed
Family Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 4, 2017
Typical day at work may be 8-4:30 or may be 8-10PM. I learned there are many people on drugs in Arkansas. Also, that Self- Motivation is a plus in this job, you have to want to do it to make it here. There may be some good managers out there, haven't met one yet. Co Workers are pleasant for the most part. I'm not here to make friends. Hardest part of the job is depending on management to complete a task in a timely manner. Most enjoyable part of the job are the children I come in contact with, they brighten up my day and remind me why I do this job for the minimal pay.
Pros
Flexibility, Lots of travel out of the office, personal office
Cons
low pay, on call some nights, weekends and holidays
To much stress with no pay
Teacher's assistant (Former Employee) –  Conway, AROctober 13, 2016
CHDC is a horrible place to work. The clients are wonderful. Most of the staff is ok. Then you have some that will stab you in the back. Seniority doesn't exist there. Your supervisor doesn't have your back. Administration sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they close the place in the next 10 years.
Pros
Cons
Health insurance
Enjoyed working here and the perks were great
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, AROctober 8, 2016
I worked at the job for 29 years retiring in 2014
The job was at times stressful but the benefits (insurance, paid time off, sick leave) were wonderful especially when raising children
The management was great
The hardest part of the job was usually the stress and time lines
The best part of the job was working with so many different people and actually being able to help people most of the time
Benefits
Cons
Very high stressed job
Very demanding position.
Adult Protective Services Foster Care (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 16, 2016
This position in my humble opinion was very stressful. There were no Federal caps on the number of foster cases an individual could be assigned to and in the end, I was assigned to 50 families due to high turn over in the office.
Pros
I feel like I could make a difference in the lives of families in Arkansas.
Cons
There was not enough time to do the job proficiently.
Dog Eat Dog
Program Eligibility Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stuttgart, ARAugust 10, 2016
Very competitive culture. People are scrounging for leads and clients when they walk though the door. You have to know your co-workers well enough to know who won't cut your throat. The best part was helping people get huge refunds.
Assist clients in day to day work
DHS Program Manager/Planning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 10, 2016
Busy day in the department I worked in. timeframes and deadliens. Busy from beginning to end. Co-workers were friendly and got along well. Quick turn around time for things at the job.
Retired
SLAVE (Former Employee) –  COUNTY OFFICEJuly 25, 2016
if you value your health (both physical and mental) DO NOT WORK FOR DHS in one of the county offices. I was lucky to be able to retire.. The stress level is off the chart. Not enough employees in the County offices. The new Curam medicaid system does not function properly. Huge back-log of medicaid applications. Clients screaming at us eight hours a day, seven days a week. I could go on and on. On the other hand, a job with DHS Central Office in Little Rock would not be as bad. They don't have to deal directly with the public. They make the policies that make county workers lives a living he!! on earth.
Pros
Cons
Working there
Unprofessional and Very Unorganized
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Phillips County, ARJuly 21, 2016
Philip's county DCFS is the worst place to work. Limited to no resources, very unorganized and dysfunctional. Supervisors always stating policy, but self made policy. There is No support from supervisors in office, region, or state office. One big sad dysfunctional joke!
Pros
Benefits and Co-Workers
Cons
Work Environment, Supervisors, Safety, and Pay
Very unprofessional horrible management Jonesboro Human Development Center
Rct (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJuly 10, 2016
I have never been in setting so unprofessional, to the point they even have a code to call when the staff is in a physical altercation. They have a tremendous turn over rate with staff, and this is for several reasons. 1. The staff is very unprofessional and rude to new employees. 2. They have no break, you work a straight 8 hours and with a job as stressful as this can be... taking a moment for self and getting a break from the monotony is necessary. 3. In orientation they tell you how you get help here and here, and frankly you just do not!! The lack of support from your co-workers is ridiculous. There is NO team work. 4. They basically hire young kids 18 19 years old who have never had to hold down a job much less behave as if this is a job and not the high school hall ways. I love working with people whom have development disabilities, but your co-workers make this job miserable!! Management has alot to work on if they are ever going to fix the issues they have with retaining the employees and ensuring the quality and safety of their residents.
Pros
Love the residents, job security! because they cant keep anyone they definitely wont fire you!
Cons
Pay, management, lack of support and team work. Horrible environment.
state job
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 27, 2016
Of course state jobs don't pay that well but have excellent benefits and all the holidays off. Just needs to pay more

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Department Of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9