Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews

great company
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), Benton, ARAugust 14, 2015
productive, and very client centered . the environment is moderate overall not a bad organization to work for. A good start to working in the public sector and prepares you for good a good medaciad/insurance background.
Document Examiner (Former Employee), Camden, ARJuly 22, 2015
I enjoyed the people I worked with very much. There is a lot of red tape in dealing with policy and procedures, but once learned, it is pleasant
AR DHS
Operations Administrator (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Holiday pay
Cons: Long Work Hours
Arkansas Department of Human Services is a place that provides an array of public assistance to the citizens of Arkansas that help them become and remain self sufficient.
DHS, Arkansas
Staff Development (Current Employee), Little Rock ARJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Satisfying work
Cons: low pay and limited advancement
DHS provides an amazing network of services for Arkansas citizens. The workplace allows for adequate time to balance life and work. Benefits are acceptable and salaries are generally low for the jobs done. The opportunity for advancement occurs only by changing jobs, as the pay scale raises require legislative approval for the entire agency. These are general lump sum payments when approved, not movement up the annual salary scale.
Temporary position
Documents Examiner II (Former Employee), Hot Springs, ARJune 9, 2015
Pros: Day shift, office job
Cons: Temporary job
Assisted Manager- Answered phone, took messages, made copies,sent faxes, and helped with scheduling. Most employees were nice. Human services agency.
Nice location and great supervisor.
Volunteer Transporter (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARMay 12, 2015
Pros: Free training
Cons: observing children who had been abused
The atmosphere was pleasant and the employess were helpful in assisting me in the job position for which I was in training.
Stable working environment with full benefits package
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), Stuttgart, ARMay 3, 2015
The job is very mentally stimulating which if very important to me. I have enough work to keep me busy throughout my day, but it is not an overwhelming load. The management team is helpful and understanding. My coworkers are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is being enclosed in an office for most of the day. The most enjoyable part is helping others.
Very good place to work.
case manager (Former Employee), hot springs,arMarch 1, 2015
Pros: insurance provided
Cons: only 30 minutes lunch
Had to report to work at a 8 am. Had to return phone calls and would make home visits to clients and return to office and write up reports.
Positive and productive work place.
RN Utilization Review Arkansas Medicaid (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: great hours. great benefits.
Cons: pay scale could of been a little hire.
The best nursing job I have ever had. Great management and co-workers. Great benefits. I only left due to marriage and relocating to be with my husband.
A job for people with a heart for service to others
Investigation Unit Supervisor (Current Employee), Texarkana, ArkansasJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: healthcare and flexible schedule
Cons: hostile work environment
No 2 days are the same. A very unpredictable job. I have learned to value coworkers and the team spirit. It is a blessing to have people surrounding you with the common goal of protection of children and service to keep family units in tact. The most enjoyable is the ability to reunite kids with families after the necessary services have been provided to ensure their welfare.
Interesting work
JR Mayer (Current Employee), Hot SpringsJanuary 22, 2015
I enjoy the work at AR DHS. There is always the challenge of data mining the necessary research required prior to completing an investigation with the actual field work. I have a wonderful supervisor and department. The down side is the compensation.
Administrative Office Supervisor (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARJanuary 20, 2015
Government job. Overall great place to work. Everyday was a challenge however, I looked forward to completing the tasks at hand.
Rewarding work, demanding, low pay
Case manager, Investigator, Generalist (Former Employee), Monticello, ARJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: overtime was banked and could be used for vacation time or cashed out, weekends off with little call
Cons: horrible work atmosphere, management with closed door policy, lazy co-workers
A typical day at work involved checking in with clients and with other staff involved with clients, and documenting interactions and interventions. Most of my work was independent of others and the volume of work was high. There was very little consistent, reliable support, even from those with jobs that included providing support.
On a typical day I heard "that's not my job" way too many times when listening to interactions between co-workers.

I learned how government offices can make problems when problems don't exist and how they can turn small problems into catastrophes. I also learned how avoid these problems in order to do my work in such a way that nobody suffered and my clients benefited.

Management was best described as iron fisted in a haphazard sort of way.

I had several dynamite co-workers, but many who were miraculously terrible.

The hardest part of the job was trying to help families with minimal resources at my disposal.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the public.
Horrible County Supervisor. .Horrible Area Director and Horrible Place to Work
Family Service Worker (FSW) (Former Employee), West Memphis (Crittenden County)December 3, 2014
Pros: working with the families
Cons: lack of support from supervisors, horrible stress, work hours, pay, crazy colleagues (literally psycho--crystal griffith)!
This job is not for anyone with children. You put in very very very very long hours with minimal pay 50-60 plus hours weekly but have to fight for your overtime. This company expect you to work yourself to death at the expense of kids and family. Example: typical work day starts at 8am and may end by 8-10pm...if you not placing kids then it may end anywhere from 11pm to 2am the next morning. Then they expect you to report to work by 8am tye next day.They do not follow there own policies and often take advantage of families who are uneducated by lying in court saying what services they've provided to families knowing they are barely seeing the children who are in state custody. So they are most definitely not seeing the families let alone offering services. There motto is family preserverance; however, this is far from the truth. There is absolutely no support from the current County Supervisor (Crittenden County). She is selfish and only look out for herself. If you do decide to take this position against better judgement PLEASE BE PREPARED TO DOCUMENT ALL YOU DO AND KEEP ALL EMAILS. This chick and her boss Cyndi Rowlett are PURE EVIL! The turnover rate at this job is atrocious. RUN FAR AWAY FAST AS YOU CAN! PLEASE TAKE HEED TO THE WARNING!!!
This a good website to find positions
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARNovember 10, 2014
Pros: co-workers goes out smoke and then takes long lunch breaks
Cons: co-workers takes adventages of smoke breakes
A typical day at work when I'm constantly on phone calls after call but still maintain to get all my work done. I have a good superior who knows I very dependable and accurate when getting my work completed the hardest part about my job is co-workers who set around all day and does nothing which drives me crazy the most enjoyable part about my job when Providers calls me say " Ms. blank Thank you so much for helping me, others say Thank you for taking time out to help me when I couldn't find anyone to answer my questions and you were so helpful.
Great Place to Be
Assistant to Arkansas Medicaid Director (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARSeptember 3, 2014
DHS is a great place to work. The employees and management are very personable. Everyone relates on some level or another. People get along with each other. It's kind of like family. Having a parking deck is a huge blessing. It really makes a difference if it's very rainy outside. I can't think of anything negative to say about this organization.
Overall it is a good place to work.
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), West Memphis, ARAugust 25, 2014
Pros: the work schedule
Cons: healthcare and a tremendous amount of paperwork.
I enjoy helping others and I'm giving that opportunity with the department of human services. I work hard on a daily basis. I enjoy the contact I have with my clients. The caseload is terribly large, but its a very rewarding job.
State Government
Local Office Assistant (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARJuly 21, 2014
Good place to work if interested in serving people to provide support in Human Services to the community.
Challenging work each day
DDS Specialist (Former Employee), harrison arJune 3, 2014
This position required a lot of time management due to paperwork timelines.
Hardworking and willing to learn.
Family Service worker (Former Employee), Warren, ArkansasApril 14, 2014
Pros: always on time.
Cons: healthcare
A typical work day is something that I like. Learning about different people and helping my clients and co-workers.