Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews in United States

management is not good
program eligibility specialist (Former Employee) –  Searcy, AROctober 29, 2015
The co workers are good to work with. Management will tell you they are behind you and have your back but they only care about their selves. Management will pile on work set you up to fail. If you have health issues which worsen with stress. This is not the job for you. Management will lie to your face and conspire against the workers to have them written up or fired
Pros
good health benefits, paid holidays
Cons
Management need to care about their employees instead of out dor themselves
Horrible pay. Horrible culture
Residential Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warren, ARFebruary 7, 2016
Very, very low pay for the amount of duties and responsibility that are assigned. Administration is totally unaware as to the needs of the clients and staff. Staff are so discouraged and overworked that it has created a poor work environment. Benefits are good, especially the accrual of leave time, but one can't use the leave time because of an embarrassing lack of total staff. Client care is poor because of general lack of experienced care givers due to extremely high turn over rate.
Pros
Benefits, insurance, retirement
Cons
Low pay, high stress, lack of support, dangerous
Crazy and stressful...with little rewards
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Paris, ARJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at work...well there is no typical day at work when you work for this agency. You might start a day at 8am and not get home until 8pm depending upon how many children you have to pick up and place. Oh and finding placement in foster homes/shelters is very difficult since Arkansas has no where for these kiddos to go. The system is broke financially and from within. Little Rock runs the show and really does not care about those workers in smaller towns. If someone leaves the job no one gets into a hurry to hire someone else. Why would they when they could just overwork the ones still there for the same amount of money? Something has to give in this system and I don't think that it is all about money. I think some of those people in Little Rock need a dose of what goes on and then they could relate. I thought that I was going to be able to help people at this job but there is not enough time and resources available to work the kind of miracles they want you to work. The hardest part of the job is the stress. There is always something over your head and if you care at all then you will never succeed. I was told that 'I cared too much". I did not think that was possible. Also, the politics that play out in this agency is ridiculous. I thought we were supposed to put family's back together. But instead it was who could outwit who in court. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you were fully staffed and you could have an 8 hr day. Sometimes you actually could help someone and that felt good. But that was not the case most of the time. In a nutshell this job is  more... very stressful, low-paying (for all the responsibilities), long hours and lots and lots and lots of travel. I put 40, 000 miles on my vehicle in a year. If you have children do not expect to see them hardly ever. Don't even get me started on the on-call. That's right...you have to go on-call as well. It differs in different counties. In my county which was fairly small. A worker would go on call from Friday at 4pm until the following Friday at 8am. It was a very long week. You would be by yourself and cover 3 counties. You would only get paid if you had to go on call. Unless something drastically change this job will never be worth it for anyone.  less
Benefits
Cons
Stress, low pay
Employee pay is not enough.
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 30, 2015
Agency should base salary on experience and not start everyone of at base salary. Could also have better management. In certain department there is not room for growth.
Working at DHS is the most stressful job I EVER had
Local Office Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARMarch 3, 2016
It's not the public that stresses you, it's the people who ride your back all day... it seems like you can never do enough and they never appreciate what you do. County offices are horrible. You deal with the supervisors having their picks and the picks get to do whatever whenever while you pick up slack. I dealt with racism, got called names and after I made a complaint I got treated like a dog by the supervisors who just kept loading me up with job duties. Faulkner Co. Can't be the only office doing this.. I heard it happens in alot of offices. Does no good to complain.. keep a lawyer on your side.
Pros
Your helping the public
Cons
Horrible work environment
DHS, Arkansas
Staff Development (Current Employee) –  Little Rock ARJuly 7, 2015
DHS provides an amazing network of services for Arkansas citizens. The workplace allows for adequate time to balance life and work. Benefits are acceptable and salaries are generally low for the jobs done. The opportunity for advancement occurs only by changing jobs, as the pay scale raises require legislative approval for the entire agency. These are general lump sum payments when approved, not movement up the annual salary scale.
Pros
Satisfying work
Cons
low pay and limited advancement
Horrible place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poinsett County, ARApril 28, 2016
I worked as an "Administrative Assistant". The job was advertised as having benefits. I got none. It was advertised as making $22,00-$37,000 a year, I made $18,000. I told my boss going in that I missed a lot of work for sickness. I missed a week and had a doctors excuse, missed a few more days, all excused by a doctor, and was fired. The employees, including the clerical manager, spend most of their time talking bad about the clients. If this sounds like a good place to work, Poinsett County DHS is definitely for you!
Work
Recycle Manager (Current Employee) –  little rockOctober 9, 2015
You work hard but little money. Its ok to work for little money. You have some good people and bad people. The work is easy but people are mean here and all about them self. Hard to move up to a better paying job.
Pros
working mon thur friday
Cons
no weekends
I loved assisting families in need.
Child Abuse Investigator (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARSeptember 7, 2015
Working closely with families, the community, local authorities was very fulfilling. The on-call duties was challenging because we were short staffed we were on-call more frequently.
Pros
paid holidays, good health benifits
Cons
frequent shortage of staff to assist the families in need
DCFS FSW is Hard Work
DCFS Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodruff CountyJanuary 23, 2013
Being a Family Service Worker is hard work and it can be dangerous out there in protecting the children. It was adrenaline rush and action when I was a FSW but I got burned out. DCFS needs to strongly praised and more recognition needs to be for DCFS. It is a great job and a excellent job if you are an investigator. Case Management Work is tough. I worked with some great co-workers and supervisors! I actually cried I left but it had to be done because I simply got burned out. There is a big need for some good strong & knowledgeable people to keep children away from abuse & neglect.
Pros
action packed in investigations, great co-workers and pto.
Cons
long hours if you not use to it (dcfs), dangerous life & death in some areas (dcfs)
Stable working environment with full benefits package
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stuttgart, ARMay 3, 2015
The job is very mentally stimulating which if very important to me. I have enough work to keep me busy throughout my day, but it is not an overwhelming load. The management team is helpful and understanding. My coworkers are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is being enclosed in an office for most of the day. The most enjoyable part is helping others.
Positive and productive work place.
RN Utilization Review Arkansas Medicaid (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 10, 2015
The best nursing job I have ever had. Great management and co-workers. Great benefits. I only left due to marriage and relocating to be with my husband.
Pros
great hours. great benefits.
Cons
pay scale could of been a little hire.
Job was stressful at sometimes but l enjoyed helping general public
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARFebruary 27, 2014
Typical day at work was a little stressful and busy.

Learned to be patience and be multi-tasker.

Management- N/A

Co-workers was helpful at times.

The hardest part of the job was getting deadlines done promptly.

Most enjoyable part of the job was helping the general public.
Pros
benefits, advancement, 401k, retirement
Cons
environment stressful at times, negative supervisor
great company
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Benton, ARAugust 14, 2015
productive, and very client centered . the environment is moderate overall not a bad organization to work for. A good start to working in the public sector and prepares you for good a good medaciad/insurance background.
Fast paced work environment
Executive Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 28, 2013
Each day brought new crises to handle. Reading, responding and reminding were the 3 most important parts of my role as Administrative Assistant to the Director of Medicaid. There were not enough hours in the day to accommodate all the people that needed to meet with him therefore I became quite adept working in Outlook calendar. I was expected to know virtually every problem that arose and how to best get it solved involving the proper people. The management are all very knowledgeable and the co-workers all worked together to attain the goals. Obamacare and Medicaid Reform are the hot topics and Arkansas has been fortunate to lead the nation on reform. I am very proud to have been a part of that.
Pros
Job Security, Challenging
Cons
Fast paced, frustrating
Too much politics interfere with ability to do job
FSW Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 3, 2013
DHS/DCFS is filled with very dedicated and idealistic people. The mission of the agency is to help strengthen families and protect children. However, there are many dynamics involved in that mission. I recommend that you understand that it is very unlikely that you will make this job a long term career. The constant stress leads to a high turnover rate that adds to the stress of the job. A lack of placements available for teenagers results in a lot of long nights and much time spent on the road away from you family. Then you have to balance the demands of the agency, your clients, and the juvenile court. And that is just the beginning!
Pros
lots of good co-workers, helping people, fast paced, everyday is different
Cons
low pay, long hours, on-call, when things go wrong, (and they do frequently) the administration is quick to look for someone to blame and fire
Great Opportunity to develop strong interpersonal skills, communication skills, and professionalism
SOCIAL SERVICE WORKER I (Food Stamps/Work Program) (Former Employee) –  Walnut Ridge, ArkansasOctober 3, 2012
This was my first professional job in an office seting. I had the opportunity to learn and grow as a human services professional. I provided food stamps and work program case management. I helped individuals obtain food stamps and helped them to transition into successful employment, Again the hardest part of the job was the constyant changes in policy, procedure and documentation requirements.
Pros
great co-workers and supervisors, great atmosphere and good benefits
Cons
the constant changes, being held accountable for client/program participants actions/failures beyond my control
Chaotic Management
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 16, 2013
Management is more concerned about the rules than quality of service or quality of working environment. Get reamed out if you start before 8:00 or work a minute past 4:30. Immediate supervisor had already retired in her own mind and was unavailable and/or unapproachable. Decisions were not made with all players participating in the process and as a result, they got revamped MANY times, and often received contradictory directives. Many go to work there thinking they will make a difference in people's lives...and leave very disenchanted with the chaotic and unsupportive environment.
benefits
Cons
lack of leadership on part of supervisors and upper management
DHS Investigations Division
SIU Public Service Investigator (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, Washington County , Benton CountyJanuary 31, 2014
Okay this Place is B-O-R-I-N-G the work load is impossible to complete. Average 40 cases per week Never ever ever Stops being depressing. Every worker at the Office lives in Fearof being Fired . You area At will Employee for the State and you will not make enough money to support your family No matter what Job you get. I have never seen anything like it. Everyone hates coming to work, then you see people that are so badly in need of help that thanks to the reduction in SNAP not much you can do to help. You will cry every evening when you get Home. Take my advise, your better off even if you have to hold a sign and beg for food. Oh and the Great Benefits these other idiots are talking about will cost you $250.00 a month off your check and u still will pay $35 for a dr. Visit. Your take home will be $600.00 for two weeks. I had to leave before I hung. Myself. It is Hell if you apply dont say I didnt warn you. I dont care what job it is at DHS money is horrible, management iz Horrible and dont think you will help needy. You will be mandated to refer any and I mean any suspisions for a Investigation. Even if u know these poor souls need the money. Sad part most CW get excited denying benifets. Like i said its Hell And working there makes demons out of people.
Cons
little rock supervisors
Ar dhs
Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 16, 2015
Arkansas Department of Human Services is a place that provides an array of public assistance to the citizens of Arkansas that help them become and remain self sufficient.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
Long Work Hours