Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working here and the perks were great
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, AROctober 8, 2016
I worked at the job for 29 years retiring in 2014
The job was at times stressful but the benefits (insurance, paid time off, sick leave) were wonderful especially when raising children
The management was great
The hardest part of the job was usually the stress and time lines
The best part of the job was working with so many different people and actually being able to help people most of the time
Benefits
Cons
Very high stressed job
Requires Self Motivation, Not for those easily stressed
Family Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 4, 2017
Typical day at work may be 8-4:30 or may be 8-10PM. I learned there are many people on drugs in Arkansas. Also, that Self- Motivation is a plus in this job, you have to want to do it to make it here. There may be some good managers out there, haven't met one yet. Co Workers are pleasant for the most part. I'm not here to make friends. Hardest part of the job is depending on management to complete a task in a timely manner. Most enjoyable part of the job are the children I come in contact with, they brighten up my day and remind me why I do this job for the minimal pay.
Pros
Flexibility, Lots of travel out of the office, personal office
Cons
low pay, on call some nights, weekends and holidays
Stressful, long hours, demanding job
DCFS County Supervisor (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJanuary 4, 2017
Low pay, long work hours, demanding, high case loads, very little help from upper management. no compensation for overtime at supervisor level, high turnover
Family Service Worker
FSW (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARFebruary 5, 2017
I've been a FSW for six months and it has been a roller coaster. Once I find a new job I'm leaving. This job is for a single person, with no children. It's very demanding and will spill over into your personal life. My coworkers are amazing, and we work together to get the job done. I typically work 12-14 hour days. The caseloads are high, and the work is impossible. The most rewarding part of my job is helping the children. It could be a great place to work if there were enough staff and a balance workload.
Pros
The children
Very unprofessional horrible management Jonesboro Human Development Center
Rct (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJuly 10, 2016
I have never been in setting so unprofessional, to the point they even have a code to call when the staff is in a physical altercation. They have a tremendous turn over rate with staff, and this is for several reasons. 1. The staff is very unprofessional and rude to new employees. 2. They have no break, you work a straight 8 hours and with a job as stressful as this can be... taking a moment for self and getting a break from the monotony is necessary. 3. In orientation they tell you how you get help here and here, and frankly you just do not!! The lack of support from your co-workers is ridiculous. There is NO team work. 4. They basically hire young kids 18 19 years old who have never had to hold down a job much less behave as if this is a job and not the high school hall ways. I love working with people whom have development disabilities, but your co-workers make this job miserable!! Management has alot to work on if they are ever going to fix the issues they have with retaining the employees and ensuring the quality and safety of their residents.
Pros
Love the residents, job security! because they cant keep anyone they definitely wont fire you!
Cons
Pay, management, lack of support and team work. Horrible environment.
Working here was not worth it
Documents Examiner II (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, ARMarch 15, 2017
I worked in a place that tried to stop advancement and when it was reported, they just covered it up. The supervisor was manipulative and had an ugly spirit. Its all about who knows who here.
Dco
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 1, 2017
Great Benefits and retirement pension plan is worth the wait. Various work titles from client service, medicaid compliance, Medical Review Team, or clerical intake worker.
Horrible place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poinsett County, ARApril 28, 2016
I worked as an "Administrative Assistant". The job was advertised as having benefits. I got none. It was advertised as making $22,00-$37,000 a year, I made $18,000. I told my boss going in that I missed a lot of work for sickness. I missed a week and had a doctors excuse, missed a few more days, all excused by a doctor, and was fired. The employees, including the clerical manager, spend most of their time talking bad about the clients. If this sounds like a good place to work, Poinsett County DHS is definitely for you!
Unprofessional and Very Unorganized
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Phillips County, ARJuly 21, 2016
Philip's county DCFS is the worst place to work. Limited to no resources, very unorganized and dysfunctional. Supervisors always stating policy, but self made policy. There is No support from supervisors in office, region, or state office. One big sad dysfunctional joke!
Pros
Benefits and Co-Workers
Cons
Work Environment, Supervisors, Safety, and Pay
Worst place I've worked
Family Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Paris, ARJune 10, 2016
Horrible working environment. No professionalism. Stereotypical small town attitudes. The only enjoyable thing about this position is the clients.
Pros
Clients
Cons
management, long hours, lack of professionalism

Want to know more about Arkansas Department Of Human Services?

Ask a question
Hardwork required
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 6, 2017
Any position with this agency requires hardwork and compassion for the people you work with. You have to have a love for the work. It will be difficult but also rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Hard to find balance between work and personal life
Dog Eat Dog
Program Eligibility Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stuttgart, ARAugust 10, 2016
Very competitive culture. People are scrounging for leads and clients when they walk though the door. You have to know your co-workers well enough to know who won't cut your throat. The best part was helping people get huge refunds.
intense caseload - must enjoy staying busy
Case Manager/Program Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMarch 27, 2017
Good fit for an individual willing to work with the most vulnerable and less fortunate in the community. Casework is heavy - the county processes more in all the counties combined
management is not good
program eligibility specialist (Former Employee) –  Searcy, AROctober 29, 2015
The co workers are good to work with. Management will tell you they are behind you and have your back but they only care about their selves. Management will pile on work set you up to fail. If you have health issues which worsen with stress. This is not the job for you. Management will lie to your face and conspire against the workers to have them written up or fired
Pros
good health benefits, paid holidays
Cons
Management need to care about their employees instead of out dor themselves
To much stress with no pay
Teacher's assistant (Former Employee) –  Conway, AROctober 13, 2016
CHDC is a horrible place to work. The clients are wonderful. Most of the staff is ok. Then you have some that will stab you in the back. Seniority doesn't exist there. Your supervisor doesn't have your back. Administration sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they close the place in the next 10 years.
Pros
Cons
Health insurance
DCFS FSW is Hard Work
DCFS Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodruff CountyJanuary 23, 2013
Being a Family Service Worker is hard work and it can be dangerous out there in protecting the children. It was adrenaline rush and action when I was a FSW but I got burned out. DCFS needs to strongly praised and more recognition needs to be for DCFS. It is a great job and a excellent job if you are an investigator. Case Management Work is tough. I worked with some great co-workers and supervisors! I actually cried I left but it had to be done because I simply got burned out. There is a big need for some good strong & knowledgeable people to keep children away from abuse & neglect.
Pros
action packed in investigations, great co-workers and pto.
Cons
long hours if you not use to it (dcfs), dangerous life & death in some areas (dcfs)
Retired
SLAVE (Former Employee) –  COUNTY OFFICEJuly 25, 2016
if you value your health (both physical and mental) DO NOT WORK FOR DHS in one of the county offices. I was lucky to be able to retire.. The stress level is off the chart. Not enough employees in the County offices. The new Curam medicaid system does not function properly. Huge back-log of medicaid applications. Clients screaming at us eight hours a day, seven days a week. I could go on and on. On the other hand, a job with DHS Central Office in Little Rock would not be as bad. They don't have to deal directly with the public. They make the policies that make county workers lives a living he!! on earth.
Pros
Cons
Working there
Well... Here it is
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 27, 2016
No place for the innovator in moving forward or advancement . Opportunities for advancement are obsolete. Positions are inherited or chosen. No matter how much you know they will keep you as low on the pay scale as possible. Morale is diminishing.
Pros
hours
Cons
Stagnant
Very demanding position.
Adult Protective Services Foster Care (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 16, 2016
This position in my humble opinion was very stressful. There were no Federal caps on the number of foster cases an individual could be assigned to and in the end, I was assigned to 50 families due to high turn over in the office.
Pros
I feel like I could make a difference in the lives of families in Arkansas.
Cons
There was not enough time to do the job proficiently.
Horrible pay. Horrible culture
Residential Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warren, ARFebruary 7, 2016
Very, very low pay for the amount of duties and responsibility that are assigned. Administration is totally unaware as to the needs of the clients and staff. Staff are so discouraged and overworked that it has created a poor work environment. Benefits are good, especially the accrual of leave time, but one can't use the leave time because of an embarrassing lack of total staff. Client care is poor because of general lack of experienced care givers due to extremely high turn over rate.
Pros
Benefits, insurance, retirement
Cons
Low pay, high stress, lack of support, dangerous

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Department Of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6