Arkansas Department Of Human Services

Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employer Reviews

Interesting work
JR Mayer (Current Employee), Hot SpringsJanuary 22, 2015
I enjoy the work at AR DHS. There is always the challenge of data mining the necessary research required prior to completing an investigation with the actual field work. I have a wonderful supervisor and department. The down side is the compensation.
Administrative Office Supervisor (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARJanuary 20, 2015
Government job. Overall great place to work. Everyday was a challenge however, I looked forward to completing the tasks at hand.
Rewarding work, demanding, low pay
Case manager, Investigator, Generalist (Former Employee), Monticello, ARJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: overtime was banked and could be used for vacation time or cashed out, weekends off with little call
Cons: horrible work atmosphere, management with closed door policy, lazy co-workers
A typical day at work involved checking in with clients and with other staff involved with clients, and documenting interactions and interventions. Most of my work was independent of others and the volume of work was high. There was very little consistent, reliable support, even from those with jobs that included providing support.
On a typical day I heard "that's not my job" way too many times when listening to interactions between co-workers.

I learned how government offices can make problems when problems don't exist and how they can turn small problems into catastrophes. I also learned how avoid these problems in order to do my work in such a way that nobody suffered and my clients benefited.

Management was best described as iron fisted in a haphazard sort of way.

I had several dynamite co-workers, but many who were miraculously terrible.

The hardest part of the job was trying to help families with minimal resources at my disposal.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the public.
Horrible County Supervisor. .Horrible Area Director and Horrible Place to Work
Family Service Worker (FSW) (Former Employee), West Memphis (Crittenden County)December 3, 2014
Pros: working with the families
Cons: lack of support from supervisors, horrible stress, work hours, pay, crazy colleagues (literally psycho--crystal griffith)!
This job is not for anyone with children. You put in very very very very long hours with minimal pay 50-60 plus hours weekly but have to fight for your overtime. This company expect you to work yourself to death at the expense of kids and family. Example: typical work day starts at 8am and may end by 8-10pm...if you not placing kids then it may end anywhere from 11pm to 2am the next morning. Then they expect you to report to work by 8am tye next day.They do not follow there own policies and often take advantage of families who are uneducated by lying in court saying what services they've provided to families knowing they are barely seeing the children who are in state custody. So they are most definitely not seeing the families let alone offering services. There motto is family preserverance; however, this is far from the truth. There is absolutely no support from the current County Supervisor (Crittenden County). She is selfish and only look out for herself. If you do decide to take this position against better judgement PLEASE BE PREPARED TO DOCUMENT ALL YOU DO AND KEEP ALL EMAILS. This chick and her boss Cyndi Rowlett are PURE EVIL! The turnover rate at this job is atrocious. RUN FAR AWAY FAST AS YOU CAN! PLEASE TAKE HEED TO THE WARNING!!!
This a good website to find positions
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARNovember 10, 2014
Pros: co-workers goes out smoke and then takes long lunch breaks
Cons: co-workers takes adventages of smoke breakes
A typical day at work when I'm constantly on phone calls after call but still maintain to get all my work done. I have a good superior who knows I very dependable and accurate when getting my work completed the hardest part about my job is co-workers who set around all day and does nothing which drives me crazy the most enjoyable part about my job when Providers calls me say " Ms. blank Thank you so much for helping me, others say Thank you for taking time out to help me when I couldn't find anyone to answer my questions and you were so helpful.
Great Place to Be
Assistant to Arkansas Medicaid Director (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARSeptember 3, 2014
DHS is a great place to work. The employees and management are very personable. Everyone relates on some level or another. People get along with each other. It's kind of like family. Having a parking deck is a huge blessing. It really makes a difference if it's very rainy outside. I can't think of anything negative to say about this organization.
Overall it is a good place to work.
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), West Memphis, ARAugust 25, 2014
Pros: the work schedule
Cons: healthcare and a tremendous amount of paperwork.
I enjoy helping others and I'm giving that opportunity with the department of human services. I work hard on a daily basis. I enjoy the contact I have with my clients. The caseload is terribly large, but its a very rewarding job.
State Government
Local Office Assistant (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARJuly 21, 2014
Good place to work if interested in serving people to provide support in Human Services to the community.
Challenging work each day
DDS Specialist (Former Employee), harrison arJune 3, 2014
This position required a lot of time management due to paperwork timelines.
Hardworking and willing to learn.
Family Service worker (Former Employee), Warren, ArkansasApril 14, 2014
Pros: always on time.
Cons: healthcare
A typical work day is something that I like. Learning about different people and helping my clients and co-workers.
VERY UNPROFESSIONAL
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Sebastian CountyApril 1, 2014
Cons: pay, lack of professionalism, lack of respect for employees
Most unprofessional place I have ever worked. Sebastian County needs some major restructuring with management! Working in that environment was very stressful and not necessary! The management does not have any respect for the employees and will yell and make an example out of the employee, in front of clients and other staff. there is the smallest mistake made.
Job was stressful at sometimes but l enjoyed helping general public
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee), El Dorado, ARFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: benefits, advancement, 401k, retirement
Cons: environment stressful at times, negative supervisor
Typical day at work was a little stressful and busy.

Learned to be patience and be multi-tasker.

Management- N/A

Co-workers was helpful at times.

The hardest part of the job was getting deadlines done promptly.

Most enjoyable part of the job was helping the general public.
Challenging but interesting
Family Service Worker (Former Employee), West Memphis, ArDecember 17, 2013
Pros: extra pay
Cons: working after hours
I experienced a lot working with children. This will help me in the near future.
Government job, dealing with red tape
County Records Clerk (Former Employee), West Memphis, ARNovember 20, 2013
Pros: health benefits, regular schedule, holidays off, paid vacation
Cons: self serving caseworkers who didn't care about clients; poor pay
This job started out really well, but the longer I worked there, the worse it got. The caseworkers were more concerned with personal drama than with helping clients; My favorite part was transcribing for children and family services, but you saw the worse of human beings
Productive position
Administrative Specialist III/Human Resources (Former Employee), Pine Bluff, ARNovember 19, 2013
Great place to work, politics makes it difficult to work there. Management needs revamping. Management needs to be overhauled
Chaotic Management
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Smith, ARNovember 16, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: lack of leadership on part of supervisors and upper management
Management is more concerned about the rules than quality of service or quality of working environment. Get reamed out if you start before 8:00 or work a minute past 4:30. Immediate supervisor had already retired in her own mind and was unavailable and/or unapproachable. Decisions were not made with all players participating in the process and as a result, they got revamped MANY times, and often received contradictory directives. Many go to work there thinking they will make a difference in people's lives...and leave very disenchanted with the chaotic and unsupportive environment.
Great place to grow and learn about children and families with disabilities
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARAugust 2, 2013
I get so much joy knowing that I'm able to provide a service that will benefit children and families with a developmental disability.
Too much politics interfere with ability to do job
FSW Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort Smith, ARJune 3, 2013
Pros: lots of good co-workers, helping people, fast paced, everyday is different
Cons: low pay, long hours, on-call, when things go wrong, (and they do frequently) the administration is quick to look for someone to blame and fire
DHS/DCFS is filled with very dedicated and idealistic people. The mission of the agency is to help strengthen families and protect children. However, there are many dynamics involved in that mission. I recommend that you understand that it is very unlikely that you will make this job a long term career. The constant stress leads to a high turnover rate that adds to the stress of the job. A lack of placements available for teenagers results in a lot of long nights and much time spent on the road away from you family. Then you have to balance the demands of the agency, your clients, and the juvenile court. And that is just the beginning!
Job Security
Fiscal Support Analyst (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARMay 20, 2013
A typical day at work is creating purchase requisitions and reconciling accounts.
Wonderful work environment
FINANCE ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARMay 13, 2013
Pros: very flexible and laid back work environment
Cons: healthcare, interal advancement opportunites
I have learned a lot while working in State Government. My current workflow is very busy and I constantly have deadlines. I enjoy the workflow