Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews in United States

Administrative Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 20, 2015
Government job. Overall great place to work. Everyday was a challenge however, I looked forward to completing the tasks at hand.
Rewarding work, demanding, low pay
Case manager, Investigator, Generalist (Former Employee) –  Monticello, ARJanuary 4, 2015
A typical day at work involved checking in with clients and with other staff involved with clients, and documenting interactions and interventions. Most of my work was independent of others and the volume of work was high. There was very little consistent, reliable support, even from those with jobs that included providing support.
On a typical day I heard "that's not my job" way too many times when listening to interactions between co-workers.

I learned how government offices can make problems when problems don't exist and how they can turn small problems into catastrophes. I also learned how avoid these problems in order to do my work in such a way that nobody suffered and my clients benefited.

Management was best described as iron fisted in a haphazard sort of way.

I had several dynamite co-workers, but many who were miraculously terrible.

The hardest part of the job was trying to help families with minimal resources at my disposal.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the public.
Pros
overtime was banked and could be used for vacation time or cashed out, weekends off with little call
Cons
horrible work atmosphere, management with closed door policy, lazy co-workers
Horrible County Supervisor. .Horrible Area Director and Horrible Place to Work
Family Service Worker (FSW) (Former Employee) –  West Memphis (Crittenden County)December 3, 2014
This job is not for anyone with children. You put in very very very very long hours with minimal pay 50-60 plus hours weekly but have to fight for your overtime. This company expect you to work yourself to death at the expense of kids and family. Example: typical work day starts at 8am and may end by 8-10pm...if you not placing kids then it may end anywhere from 11pm to 2am the next morning. Then they expect you to report to work by 8am tye next day.They do not follow there own policies and often take advantage of families who are uneducated by lying in court saying what services they've provided to families knowing they are barely seeing the children who are in state custody. So they are most definitely not seeing the families let alone offering services. There motto is family preserverance; however, this is far from the truth. There is absolutely no support from the current County Supervisor (Crittenden County). She is selfish and only look out for herself. If you do decide to take this position against better judgement PLEASE BE PREPARED TO DOCUMENT ALL YOU DO AND KEEP ALL EMAILS. This chick and her boss Cyndi Rowlett are PURE EVIL! The turnover rate at this job is atrocious. RUN FAR AWAY FAST AS YOU CAN! PLEASE TAKE HEED TO THE WARNING!!!
Pros
working with the families
Cons
lack of support from supervisors, horrible stress, work hours, pay, crazy colleagues (literally psycho--crystal griffith)!
This a good website to find positions
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 10, 2014
A typical day at work when I'm constantly on phone calls after call but still maintain to get all my work done. I have a good superior who knows I very dependable and accurate when getting my work completed the hardest part about my job is co-workers who set around all day and does nothing which drives me crazy the most enjoyable part about my job when Providers calls me say " Ms. blank Thank you so much for helping me, others say Thank you for taking time out to help me when I couldn't find anyone to answer my questions and you were so helpful.
Pros
co-workers goes out smoke and then takes long lunch breaks
Cons
co-workers takes adventages of smoke breakes
Great Place to Be
Assistant to Arkansas Medicaid Director (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 3, 2014
DHS is a great place to work. The employees and management are very personable. Everyone relates on some level or another. People get along with each other. It's kind of like family. Having a parking deck is a huge blessing. It really makes a difference if it's very rainy outside. I can't think of anything negative to say about this organization.
Overall it is a good place to work.
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Memphis, ARAugust 25, 2014
I enjoy helping others and I'm giving that opportunity with the department of human services. I work hard on a daily basis. I enjoy the contact I have with my clients. The caseload is terribly large, but its a very rewarding job.
Pros
the work schedule
Cons
healthcare and a tremendous amount of paperwork.
State Government
Local Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 21, 2014
Good place to work if interested in serving people to provide support in Human Services to the community.
Challenging work each day
DDS Specialist (Former Employee) –  harrison arJune 3, 2014
This position required a lot of time management due to paperwork timelines.
Hardworking and willing to learn.
Family Service worker (Former Employee) –  Warren, ArkansasApril 14, 2014
A typical work day is something that I like. Learning about different people and helping my clients and co-workers.
Pros
always on time.
Cons
healthcare
Very unprofessional
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sebastian CountyApril 1, 2014
Most unprofessional place I have ever worked. Sebastian County needs some major restructuring with management! Working in that environment was very stressful and not necessary! The management does not have any respect for the employees and will yell and make an example out of the employee, in front of clients and other staff. there is the smallest mistake made.
Cons
pay, lack of professionalism, lack of respect for employees
Job was stressful at sometimes but l enjoyed helping general public
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARFebruary 27, 2014
Typical day at work was a little stressful and busy.

Learned to be patience and be multi-tasker.

Management- N/A

Co-workers was helpful at times.

The hardest part of the job was getting deadlines done promptly.

Most enjoyable part of the job was helping the general public.
Pros
benefits, advancement, 401k, retirement
Cons
environment stressful at times, negative supervisor
DHS Investigations Division
SIU Public Service Investigator (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, Washington County , Benton CountyJanuary 31, 2014
Okay this Place is B-O-R-I-N-G the work load is impossible to complete. Average 40 cases per week Never ever ever Stops being depressing. Every worker at the Office lives in Fearof being Fired . You area At will Employee for the State and you will not make enough money to support your family No matter what Job you get. I have never seen anything like it. Everyone hates coming to work, then you see people that are so badly in need of help that thanks to the reduction in SNAP not much you can do to help. You will cry every evening when you get Home. Take my advise, your better off even if you have to hold a sign and beg for food. Oh and the Great Benefits these other idiots are talking about will cost you $250.00 a month off your check and u still will pay $35 for a dr. Visit. Your take home will be $600.00 for two weeks. I had to leave before I hung. Myself. It is Hell if you apply dont say I didnt warn you. I dont care what job it is at DHS money is horrible, management iz Horrible and dont think you will help needy. You will be mandated to refer any and I mean any suspisions for a Investigation. Even if u know these poor souls need the money. Sad part most CW get excited denying benifets. Like i said its Hell And working there makes demons out of people.
Cons
little rock supervisors
Challenging but interesting
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ArDecember 17, 2013
I experienced a lot working with children. This will help me in the near future.
Pros
extra pay
Cons
working after hours
Government job, dealing with red tape
County Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARNovember 20, 2013
This job started out really well, but the longer I worked there, the worse it got. The caseworkers were more concerned with personal drama than with helping clients; My favorite part was transcribing for children and family services, but you saw the worse of human beings
Pros
health benefits, regular schedule, holidays off, paid vacation
Cons
self serving caseworkers who didn't care about clients; poor pay
Productive position
Administrative Specialist III/Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARNovember 19, 2013
Great place to work, politics makes it difficult to work there. Management needs revamping. Management needs to be overhauled
Chaotic Management
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 16, 2013
Management is more concerned about the rules than quality of service or quality of working environment. Get reamed out if you start before 8:00 or work a minute past 4:30. Immediate supervisor had already retired in her own mind and was unavailable and/or unapproachable. Decisions were not made with all players participating in the process and as a result, they got revamped MANY times, and often received contradictory directives. Many go to work there thinking they will make a difference in people's lives...and leave very disenchanted with the chaotic and unsupportive environment.
benefits
Cons
lack of leadership on part of supervisors and upper management
Fast paced work environment
Executive Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 28, 2013
Each day brought new crises to handle. Reading, responding and reminding were the 3 most important parts of my role as Administrative Assistant to the Director of Medicaid. There were not enough hours in the day to accommodate all the people that needed to meet with him therefore I became quite adept working in Outlook calendar. I was expected to know virtually every problem that arose and how to best get it solved involving the proper people. The management are all very knowledgeable and the co-workers all worked together to attain the goals. Obamacare and Medicaid Reform are the hot topics and Arkansas has been fortunate to lead the nation on reform. I am very proud to have been a part of that.
Pros
Job Security, Challenging
Cons
Fast paced, frustrating
Too much politics interfere with ability to do job
FSW Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 3, 2013
DHS/DCFS is filled with very dedicated and idealistic people. The mission of the agency is to help strengthen families and protect children. However, there are many dynamics involved in that mission. I recommend that you understand that it is very unlikely that you will make this job a long term career. The constant stress leads to a high turnover rate that adds to the stress of the job. A lack of placements available for teenagers results in a lot of long nights and much time spent on the road away from you family. Then you have to balance the demands of the agency, your clients, and the juvenile court. And that is just the beginning!
Pros
lots of good co-workers, helping people, fast paced, everyday is different
Cons
low pay, long hours, on-call, when things go wrong, (and they do frequently) the administration is quick to look for someone to blame and fire
Job Security
Fiscal Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 20, 2013
A typical day at work is creating purchase requisitions and reconciling accounts.
Wonderful work environment
FINANCE ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 13, 2013
I have learned a lot while working in State Government. My current workflow is very busy and I constantly have deadlines. I enjoy the workflow
Pros
very flexible and laid back work environment
Cons
healthcare, interal advancement opportunites