Arlington Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible
Sub Custodian (Former Employee) –  Arlington, WAFebruary 4, 2016
My manager was a woman that had no experience and didnt communicate at all. Mood swings daily and didnt have the stones to talk to me.Mixed messages daily and the people were all old and boring. Dont know a hard worker when they see one. Janitorial staff was treated like garbage by incompetent supposed upper management. In my opinion they should be the ones cleaning toilets.
Benefits
Cons
Treated like garbage
Supportive school system with great resources
Spanish Immersion Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 6, 2015
Small school district with a focus on data and closing the education gap. Great resources to help support different skill leveled students.
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
Lack of time for planning
If you think Kids are Data this is your place
Teacher (Former Employee) –  FormerMay 13, 2016
This used to be a good district to work for. Unfortunately over the last few years, incompetent administrators have taken leadership positions all through the district. They are using Danielson as a tool, not to purge bad teachers from the work force, but older excellent teachers that they don't like. They are the highest pay in the area, but the work culture is not worth the pay. If (really more like when) a parent calls the Superintendent and complains about a grade, the Sup will have the teacher change the grade - just to make the problem go away. The parents know this.
Pros
High Pay
Cons
Incompetent administration - especially in the Arts Ed Office.
This position is a death trap
Executive (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 11, 2016
Co workers are good in this particular location, but the management is sub par. There are double standards and the manager for this particular position is a control junkie and mirco-manages. He knows nothing about what it means to be a manager. If you dont have a life outside of work, a back bone or pride as a person, you can do well at this job. This job doesnt allow for a life outside of work.
Benefits
Cons
management, management, management, micromanagement
Typical Public School System
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 4, 2015
Excellent colleagues and students. Experience inside the classroom is outstanding. However students are overly assessed and central office is focused on quantitative date instead of teaching the whole child. If you can ignore this, you'll enjoy APS.
Pros
Great kids! Ability to make a difference
Cons
Teacher Pay Steps rarely included in yearly budget (no salary increase)
Fun place with opportunities to grow within the company.
Mentor Aid (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Every day is a different chapter from a book. You never know what to ex[pect when you are working with kids in a school setting.
Pros
benefits if you are a full time emplyee
Cons
people who are not on a salary dont get pay during school closures
Sub
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 11, 2015
I lead and taught students in subjects such as Physical Education, Music, Art, and K-5 classrooms. I communicated with other teachers about lesson plans and objectives.
Work environment provided allowed me to excel
Vocal Music Teacher, Mentor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 12, 2015
I was satisfied with administrators and the work climate at APS. My daily class load was heavy, but always enjoyable. I prepared, taught, and performed an average of 12 music performances per year. I had 4 choruses and I established a children's theater which was free to families through a grant that I wrote.
Pros
Satisfaction of watching childrens shine
Cons
short breaks
The wheels on the bus go round and round
school bus driver (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 21, 2015
My day starts with me making sure that my bus is safe and operating properly. This is called a pre- trip inspection.Once I complete that.I go and see if management need me to do anything other then what I am assigned daily. My day starts on time we have a set time to start,and a set time to be at school.When I get to school and my students look at me and smile and say have a good day, this a the bright point of my day.The hardest part of the day is traffic,and crazy drivers in cars,joggers with dark cloths, people in cross walks crossing against the traffic lights and bikes on the road.I have to remember to be cool and patience daily.Through all that I enjoy working for Arlington Public Schools.
Schools have lost their way
Secondary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 28, 2015
Not a good work experience in a public school system. The administration tends to side with the bossy parents and spoiled students of this politically situated County. A very demanding work experience that insists on perfection (nothing wrong with that), but does so by micro-managing and expects all teachers to adapt the same style of teaching. Very poorly interpreted standards both for students and for the schools.
No room for creativity, all teachers good works are unacknowledged and brushed aside in favor of fault-finding. Students are mostly good, but it only takes a few to wreak havoc in the lives of many.
The system is badly broken.
Pros
comrades - all teachers are very professional
Cons
too many requirements during ‘planning time’ to get any work done
fun work place
Extended Day Aide (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 9, 2015
working with the children is a happy thing. you can see them grown up and move on to other school. know what they like to do for fun how love to see you happy..
great county to work for
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 2, 2015
APS provided me the opportunity to teach through the Career Switcher path. APS provides a great deal of professional development.
Real low pressure and laid back work environment
AV and desk side support technician (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 14, 2014
This was my dream job came through. I really enjoyed working here. On a given day I check my emails for meetings and requests. Check my online assign tickets, Go out and deliver goods and services to my designated sites,
Update completed tickets after lunch, do a little of bench work and troublshooting, imaging etc, and at just about an hour or two before quitting time,,, Block out everything else to do real focus work or hard tasks. Co-workers are great, there is a little bit of departmental bias. Learned a lot about customer service. Hardest part of job is loading and off loading delivery trucks with larg shipments.
Pros
flex work days
Cons
taking on mail runs
good business training
AV and desk side support technician (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 17, 2014
troubleshoot and repair mini and micro audio recording systems for government, media, schools, news and court reporters. Installed language learning booth systems of the day. Cabling, carpentry, custom fitting. Learned a lot about contracting, hardest part was having to take a taxi cab out of pocket cost to go to a site since company was located down town area. Most enjoyable part was that it was relaxed and you get to spend time out in the field as well as at a work bench.
Pros
got to learn about government contracting
Cons
pay had no growth
Working in a High School is always a great experience
School Based Substitute Teacher Yorktown H. S (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 14, 2012
My job would require me to work all over the school with every faculty member and all different types of students.

The school based substitute position teaches you to adapt to constantly changing situations and to be aware of different individual's state of mind.

I typical day would include performing administrative work, answering to the general public, serving administrators tasks, and teaching classrooms of students across varying subjects.
working with kids is great its the adults you have to watch for
Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 28, 2015
I enjoyed APS up until i left i did not get the support i needed to protect my self from two students who promoted untrue allegations against me.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 19, 2013
I managed fourteen school psychologist in typing all their reports, and 12 school social workers, manage budget for 33 schools for supplies an inventory, reported payroll for my department, registered an notified teachers of updating their certifications, manage reports an correspondences an graphs for the Director of Student Services, Board meetings.
Pros
pressured deadlines to meet an fast pace daily
Cons
balancing your time effectively
1st grade teacher
Teacher - 1st- 5th grade (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 10, 2014
I teach a multicultural 1st grade inclusion class. My students speak various languages and are English Language Learners. I also have typical native English speakers.
Pros
modified calendar
Cons
very stressful job
Fun working place
Extended Day Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 3, 2014
Excellent staff, co-workers highly cooperative, there was not any hard part in this job. It was always enjoyable to enrich the life of kids
Pros
flexible
Cons
only part-time
just an awesome place to work
Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 22, 2014
Working with professional everyday in the classroom to educate all types of students.That is the reward in itself...