Arlington Public Schools Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 16, 2017
Nice place to work. Nice people and passionate leaders dedicated to the education of our youth. The students are respectful and seem more advanced than other districts I've worked in.
Great diverse environment to work for
In House Sub (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 18, 2017
My experiences and skills really came from working with the public schools. The community is very diverse and was a great way for me to experience and learn from different cultures, religion, community and school standards.
Pros
Diversity
Wonderful workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 4, 2017
I currently am a preschool special needs instructional assistant in Arlington, VA. I work from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. The work environment is wonderful and allows me how to be flexible and accommodating to others.
Pros
Retirement plan, active, great community
Great place to grow.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 17, 2017
It's a really good place to start. Being as tho I'm a substitute I'd like to become permanent in this field. Great schools throughout the county as well as staff. Very welcoming.
Mostly pleasant students and staff.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arlington, WAMarch 1, 2017
Mostly pleasant students and staff. I love the community, the kids, and most of the staff. Some school staffs are more cliquish and others are more inviting, but all of them are friendly.

Ultimately there were some politics that started to get to me because of a few people, but not for a very long time. Most of the staff I've met have been pretty great.

Perhaps normal for subbing, but I have been frustrated by the lack of feedback. Despite my request, about the only feedback you ever get is that you don't get called back certain places and no one ever tells you why.
Pros
Close-knit community.
Cons
Poor feedback.
Great place to live in and work
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 8, 2017
Best of the local school systems. Great pay and a better place to send your kids to school. Teachers are very happy to work in the county which offers tons of support to teachers new and old.
Very hands on work place with lots of laughs
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 1, 2017
This is an amazing job. Meet a lot of new people and work along side with a great group of guys. It's very physical job. From repairing walls, playgrounds, concrete etc. To moving furniture around and lifting boxes things of that nature. Learn a lot about different skills and tool usage.
Pros
Work times, Pay, benefits and much more
Cons
The retirement plan
Excellent work place
Extended Day Aide (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 29, 2016
Arlington County has high standards and it certainly lives up to them with their high tech tools for students and teachers to use, it makes learning easy. The students always feel well equipped with their smart boards or laptops that are provided from the school system. Way to go Arlington!
I LOVE my current workplace
PR Liaison and Webmaster (Current Employee) –  Career CenterNovember 19, 2016
BUT APS in a whole does not look after their long time workers, workers who have given the system years of their service. Long timer's jobs are eliminated and they are not put into positions comparable to what they had position wise nor salary wise.
Wonderfulway to get hired by working as a substitute.
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 25, 2016
The most enjoyable place to work. I love working with children who are in elementary. My experience to work in different schools are very rewarding. I also like working in the Special Education area with students with behavior problems.
Pros
All the celebrations, such as Christmas, Thanksgiving luncheons.
Cons
No benefits
Diverse staff and many facets to job environment
Registrar and Educational Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 4, 2016
The day has many ups and downs in terms of things going on at once. There are several times during the day when the office has a lot going on and I have to multi-task at high speed. There is heavy communication with staff, students, administration and parents. Confidentiality is key.

I have learned that I am very capable of doing many things at once. I have great time management and have learned to plan ahead well. I have also learned much compassion and patience by dealing with the parents and students in the area.

Management is rather volatile and a thick skin is necessary. The two supervisors are very different in their management style and I have to adapt depending on who I am working with.

My co-workers are very different in work style and ethic. One is very efficient and thorough. She tends to like to work on her own most of the time. The other tends to be unmotivated and spends a lot of time on her phone or chatting with other co-workers not in the office area.

The hardest part of the job is seeing the children struggle due to their lives outside of school. Another challenge is dealing with bureaucracy of a county establishment. One has to be able to navigate through the many layers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am making a difference. I like being able to work with and help people. I get great energy from the moments that are fast paced.
Pros
Stable position, most people are there because they care
Cons
No breaks, poor pay
If you think Kids are Data this is your place
Teacher (Former Employee) –  FormerMay 13, 2016
This used to be a good district to work for. Unfortunately over the last few years, incompetent administrators have taken leadership positions all through the district. They are using Danielson as a tool, not to purge bad teachers from the work force, but older excellent teachers that they don't like. They are the highest pay in the area, but the work culture is not worth the pay. If (really more like when) a parent calls the Superintendent and complains about a grade, the Sup will have the teacher change the grade - just to make the problem go away. The parents know this.
Pros
High Pay
Cons
Incompetent administration - especially in the Arts Ed Office.
This position is a death trap
Executive (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 11, 2016
Co workers are good in this particular location, but the management is sub par. There are double standards and the manager for this particular position is a control junkie and mirco-manages. He knows nothing about what it means to be a manager. If you dont have a life outside of work, a back bone or pride as a person, you can do well at this job. This job doesnt allow for a life outside of work.
Benefits
Cons
management, management, management, micromanagement
Horrible
Sub Custodian (Former Employee) –  Arlington, WAFebruary 4, 2016
My manager was a woman that had no experience and didnt communicate at all. Mood swings daily and didnt have the stones to talk to me.Mixed messages daily and the people were all old and boring. Dont know a hard worker when they see one. Janitorial staff was treated like garbage by incompetent supposed upper management. In my opinion they should be the ones cleaning toilets.
Benefits
Cons
Treated like garbage
Sub
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 11, 2015
I lead and taught students in subjects such as Physical Education, Music, Art, and K-5 classrooms. I communicated with other teachers about lesson plans and objectives.
Supportive school system with great resources
Spanish Immersion Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 6, 2015
Small school district with a focus on data and closing the education gap. Great resources to help support different skill leveled students.
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
Lack of time for planning
The actual work is great. Dealing with the inconsistencies of the administration and their indifference to homebound instructors is difficult.
Homebound Instructor (Current Employee) –  All of Arlington CountyOctober 1, 2015
Teaching the students one-on-one is great. I readily accept the challenges of their needs and the onus of doing all implementation of the program.The counselors who I work with are great. The administration of the program is poor and I feel unvalued. I'd do this job for ever if I had an actual contract and was included in professional development opportunities.
Pros
Making a real difference in a student's life. Being able to tailor instruction to suit their needs.
Cons
Having to fight for what is legally correct pay.
Work environment provided allowed me to excel
Vocal Music Teacher, Mentor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 12, 2015
I was satisfied with administrators and the work climate at APS. My daily class load was heavy, but always enjoyable. I prepared, taught, and performed an average of 12 music performances per year. I had 4 choruses and I established a children's theater which was free to families through a grant that I wrote.
Pros
Satisfaction of watching childrens shine
Cons
short breaks
fun work place
Extended Day Aide (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 9, 2015
working with the children is a happy thing. you can see them grown up and move on to other school. know what they like to do for fun how love to see you happy..
Typical Public School System
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 4, 2015
Excellent colleagues and students. Experience inside the classroom is outstanding. However students are overly assessed and central office is focused on quantitative date instead of teaching the whole child. If you can ignore this, you'll enjoy APS.
Pros
Great kids! Ability to make a difference
Cons
Teacher Pay Steps rarely included in yearly budget (no salary increase)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arlington Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Arlington Public Schools Reviews by Location