Armed Forces Bank Employee Reviews

Fun, positive place to work at
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Fort Leonard Wood, MOApril 3, 2017
If you like handling money all day every day, then I think it is a great place to work! Just wasn't for me. People were always very nice and customers were friendly as well.
Great hours and Great customers
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis Washington Main BranchMarch 6, 2017
The hours at the main branch in Fort Lewis were great. The people who worked there were nice, some were family and some were tolerable, which is like almost any workplace. The company has started to cater more towards the customers by the products they offer, but has some work to do on what is available. The pay is very low for the amount of work that is required. Being a personal banker with AFB, you do everything from a teller to customer relations and product selling. At any other bank the compensation is higher and the responsibilities are split up between multiple positions.There is not much room for promotions, unless someone quits and/or you switch branches then you are stuck in the personal banker position with low raises only once per year.
Pros
Great hours, great customers, getting better products.
Cons
Low pay for the work, a lot of responsibility on each employee, not much room for advancement/ promotion.
Working for AFB
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAMarch 4, 2017
Working at Armed Forces Bank has taught me a lot.I learned the importance of diligence, being able to prioritize several tasks in a timely manner, learning how to problem solve as a team as well as on your own, and most importantly strong communication skills with our customers. Working for AFB was a great experience being on a military post I was able to meet people who were from all over the world. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing my daily customers.They were all always so polite and courteous which made the workplace enjoyable.
Pros
Short breaks, lunches
Cons
no benifits
Good job for starting at a young age
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  FloridaMarch 2, 2017
I enjoy working at my job as of now. I started when I was just getting into college and needed a little extra money. Now I am moving forward in my life and am looking for something new.
productive, fun, educational work place
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Coronado, CAFebruary 20, 2017
I learn a lot everyday, its a fun environment to work for and you meets people from all over, it can be challenging at times but who doesn't want a challenge every now and then
I loved my job. Not sure what else is necessary here.
Vice President Loss Prevention Dept (Former Employee) –  Fort Leavenworth, KSFebruary 17, 2017
I felt like I was given all the opportunities I would expect for advancement at AFB. My bosses were accessible and easy to talk to in most cases.
There were a few rough spots but considering how long I was there, 30 years, my tenure there is not defined by those few times.
Pros
good health coverage, free flu shots on site, free coffee
Cons
nothing that is not just part of the job with a large organization
Very stressful environment but well worth it!
Recruiting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ft Leavnwrth, KSFebruary 3, 2017
I met some interesting soldiers from all over the U.S.
I got to attend seminars and learned acronyms for different branches of the military.
Not a typical bank job
Assistant Manager, ATM Coordinator, New Hire Coach (Former Employee) –  Vandenberg AFB, CADecember 6, 2016
Armed Forces Bank is not your typical bank. Some are located inside Base Exchange stores, and are open on the weekend/holidays to wor as a cash cage and count cashiers money. Pay is the lowest paying out of all banks as far as I can tell. Healthcare was very good. Hard to get accounts open as most Military personnel have USAA already.
Has Pro and Cons
Recruit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Leavenworth, KSNovember 12, 2016
No real advancement inside company, training is more self learning, and management isn't very respondent to needs.
Pros would be good hours, decent pay for entry level, and decent work environment far as employees, and work area.
Good place to work and gain valuable experience.
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILNovember 8, 2016
I worked for this company for many years. I obtained a tremendous amount of knowledge of the banking industry through management and training. My managers were very supportive and on top of things. The incentives were awesome. The pay could be better and more competitive with other financial institutions in the local area. The sales goals were fair. If you did not make them for the month, you were always encouraged to try harder. You were always provided the tools to be successful in your position. If there were room for advancement, I would most likely still be with the company.
Pros
Ongoing training, good incentives, supportive senior management
Cons
Compensation could be better, room for advancement
The company is a great place to work.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSOctober 14, 2016
I love working at this company. The management was excellent and the co-workers were a pleasure to work with. They are always willing to train their co-workers and keep them up today on all of the changes. I highly recommend it.
Armed Forces Bank
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSOctober 4, 2016
As an employee at Armed forces Bank, a typical day at work is like out with the people you love. I love my job and I enjoy every moment im at work. There is not a day that goes by that I don't want to be at Armed Forces Bank. I can honestly say it has helped me. I would like to finish my associates degree and further my bachelors degree in business and financing which I feel like I'm one step closer to achieving that goal. I am a friendly peoples person so I enjoy helping my customers and making sure, that they leave my teller line with a smile and satisfied knowing I gave 100% in helping them and making sure I fulfilled their issue, as well as my coworkers. As for as my management she is great. She is always on the line making sure she is there to help her employees, and still manages to get her work done also.
Pros
making sure my customers are satisfied
A day at work
Bank Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 15, 2016
Excellent communication skills. Executed customer transactions, including deposits, withdrawels, money orders and checks. Cash handling expertise,quick thinking skills. Reliable friendly energetic.
Great Starter Bank
Personal Banker Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJune 30, 2016
-Not much room for in-branch advancement beyond supervisor, since everything is processed in the back office in Kansas City.
-Part-time employment means an upredicatable schedule, varying from week to week, where nobody except the Branch Manager is allowed to work over 30hrs per week.
-Fun environment, generally slower-paced bank.
-Good values.
-Every teller is actually a Personal Banker here, trained in normal teller duties, but also trained in Account Openings, Loan Applications, Account Maintenance, and Mortgage Applications.
-Poor internal support, as the back office closes at 3:00pm PST, while branches in PST remain open until 7:00pm. This means you will often have no answer for a customer's question, and will instead have to apologize and get in touch with them the next business day.
-They used to give good incentives for meeting sales goals, but recently decided to make those goals nearly unobtainable, by requiring a "package" to be sold to the customer. So, now, instead of simply opening a checking account to get in the branch's "pot" you must open a checking/savings/direct deposit/eStatement package just to be entered into that "pot".
-Compensation is alright, but without incentives, it is markedly less than competing banks.
Pros
Every teller is a personal banker (and that looks great on a resume), enjoyable work environment, sales driven
Cons
Part-time gets no benefits, relatively poor compensation, not much room for advancement, capped hours & varying schedule
Worse place I've ever worked
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJune 21, 2016
Management very unethical and did not care about customers or employees. Management always belittling employees. Hours were decent but the job it's self was not worth the time or pay.
Cons
working at armed forces bank
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAJune 21, 2016
I gained a lot of experience working at Armed Forces Bank. I also didn't like the hours the bank close after the PX was done with balancing everything.
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJune 5, 2016
I have several years of sales and customer service in call centers. This was a great fit for me. Within 8 months I worked my way up from customer service representative level 1 (out for 4) to team lead. This type of work is not for everyone, but I did enjoy the opportunity to help train and develop customer service representatives
Pros
Always something differnt going with assisting customers
A Decent Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSMay 27, 2016
It was a good place to work, I didn't necessarily subscribe to their policies though, especially their hiring process.

There was a very high turnover rate and they would hire just about anyone. Being a bank I don't see this as a very good approach. The only reason I could see them doing it this way was to keep the cost of their employees down. The risk seemed too large to me as we were given access to a lot of people private and sensitive information.
Pros
Relaxed Environment, 2-3 15 minute breaks per day
Cons
I didn't agree with the way they graded our phone calls
n/a
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSMay 22, 2016
Performs teller transactions; cash checks, makes cash/check deposits, saving and checking withdrawals, scan work on imager, and handle cash ยท Open checking, savings accounts, wire transfers, and business accounts. Assist customers with turning debit cards back on, giving balances, answering questions about accounts, and selling products. Also take complaints and try to better bank relationships with customers.
Fun and fast paced customer service and company directive driven environment
Customer Care Center AVP, CCMC (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSFebruary 29, 2016
A typical work day included reporting all requested information to executive management in reference to company goals and objectives, to make sure all of my team members and customers were well informed and taken care of, working closely with other departments within the organization to solve customer issues, and ensure that all regulations and compliance rules were carefully followed. I had daily meetings with my team leaders to ensure that any and all changes to regulations and operations were understood and to assist in anything they needed. I was responsible for the coaching and development of my team members, any necessary disciplinary actions and the interviewing and promotion of employees within the department. I thoroughly enjoy a challenge, to learn new things and being a part of a successful team.
Pros
Room for advancement within the company, and having the opportunity to work with a very diverse group of people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Armed Forces Bank. Our community is ready to answer.