Armed Forces Services Corporation Employee Reviews

Very low pay for DC metropolitan area.
Education Services Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 25, 2017
No room for advancement or pay increases. Management silent and not very proactive. Working along side Government employees who make twice as much as you for the same job.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Low pay
Interesting
Master Resilience Trainer (Current Employee) –  United StatesMay 22, 2017
Day to day work is slow but can keep busy by doing research. Although the company holds trainings to increase advancement in the company, class size is limited and based on a first come first serve basis. Management is not extremely helpful in most matters it is a figure it out yourself, or ask others. There is never a simple answer to any simple question. The most difficult part of the job is staying motivated due to the lack of direction given by management. However, the job has its perks, one of them is the freedom to conduct trainings how you prefer or what best fits the client, continuing to practice in the field you like, and working with tactical athletes most days.
Transition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grafenwoehr, DEApril 20, 2017
You get to help soldiers transition out of the Army which is the best part of my job. I love talking to them about their future plans and give them advice once they separate from the service.
Great Compnay
Shipboard Barber Instructor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 13, 2017
No grips or complaints as far as the jobs offers. Would have liked to make a little more money and receive some types of benefits. Job was a very relaxed environment no stress. Really wish we could have got a contract extension.
Pros
independance, stress free, decent pay
Cons
job security, no benefits
Good place to build yourself
Human Resource Specailist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 2, 2017
serving time in the military you learn a lot of things and build up character and get a basic idea of what some jobs are like in the civilian world. it gives you a lot persepctives on things. a lot of good medical and dental benefits for you and your family.
Pros
a lot of benefits
Cons
sometimes you will be away from family.
Great place to work.
Warrior Adapted Sports Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 17, 2017
Its a great place to work. I was provided the necessary training in order for me to complete my job. Fast pace with a high operation tempo. Hardest part of the job is the travel.
Too many supervisors
State Community Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 8, 2017
Too many supervisors for a job that has the responsibilities of two jobs, but the compensation of one. Working to help Veterans is rewarding. High turnover rate for this position.
Productive workplace with a strong employee focus
HR Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 26, 2017
I am choosing not to write a review. However, I will state that my experience at AFSC thus far has been an enjoyable one. I am done with this review.
Pros
atmosphere
Cons
none to mention
Horrible company - signficantly undercompensating employees
AFC (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 20, 2017
They offer an incredibly low salary, nearly to poverty level in major metropolitan areas like Washington D.C. It is truly sad that the government and military so obviously undervalue military spouses who have given up their lives and careers in order that their spouses remain in the military. Highly educated spouses are left with jobs like this, paying $45,000 in the greater Washington area with stagnant growth opportunities in both career as well as salary. Spouses with bachelors and often masters and/or even doctorate degrees are left taking jobs like this that pay GS07 level pay or even lower. It's devaluing and degrading. Those in power in the government need to step up and do something instead of just giving us (military spouses) lip service that they care and that there are so many opportunities out there for us military spouses, I mean the REAL heroes!
Pros
A job?
Cons
Pay, stability, career growth, benefits, respect, pay, pay, pay
poor leadership
Regional Family Readiness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 14, 2017
Leadership turnover is unbelievable...In one year I have had 4 leads/supervisors...the focus sometimes appeared to be more focused on the documentation than actually serving the population...
Sounded better than actually was
Former visitor in-home (Former Employee) –  WA stateJanuary 2, 2017
Autonomy good, tedious pre/post hire process with multiple computer problems and access to needed tools for newly hired. Security process was ridiculous and requested same document they already confirmed having the 1st time 3-4 times, causing a 1 month delay in getting started. Was warned right on 1st day not to say too much about personal things to other staff cuz they are snakes. All long-distance management.
Pros
Lead staff friendly
Cons
BS process to get started
Growth in the company
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 29, 2016
World wide production company, you can be anywhere an see a product that you and your team made and created with your hands.
Army Service Review
Army (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GANovember 24, 2016
The Army provided many leadership and personal development skills that can be great attributes in the civilian workplace.Skills would include:

-Developing our bodies through physical training
-Teaching soldiers bow to properly maintain and be accountable for expensive military grade equipment
-Operating Heavy Machinery
-Teamwork skills

The hardest part of the job was not getting enough sleep, but you had to fight through it and do your duty.

I really enjoyed the making knew friends and developing a brotherhood with some great men.
Pros
Great for future development and success
Cons
Depending on what your job was in the service, there can be mental issues based off experiences such as deployment
Disability Analyst
HR Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 11, 2016
This company is running unchecked, brings people in at a salary to later on change your job description and lower your pay. There is a big disconnect between HR, your DC/VA supervisor and the client Management. You basically have two bosses, but if conflict arises do not count on AFSC to be there for you. The benefits are over $600.00 for employee and one child, there are no raises or room to grow, every time the contract gets renewed they find a way to change your pay. Getting paid on the 7th and 22nd of every month is not necessarily convenient, especially if the 7th falls on a Sunday. I love my job and what I do but it is hard to work in the place where you are not really part of because as contractors you can't join or participate in office activities or ceremonies that bring an office together. There is no magic formula but having three different categories of employees mixed together and have one of them as an outsider is not conducive to integration. Unfortunately, the job market is terrible and many people, especially those with military experience, will take these jobs until a GS job opens up. If you are thinking of job security, flexible hours, life and work balance, compensation according to abilities and experience, comprehensive benefits packets, this is NOT the place.
Pros
Cons
Forced unpaid lunch, no raises, high medical premiums, Micromanagement from afar, no sick leave, low morale
Awful Company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 18, 2016
This was absolutely the worst company I have ever worked for in my life!! First off, they underpay their employees and have no respect for them. The company allows the government client to mistreat their employees. They don't care about their contractors. All they care about is the government client. They have you sign an initial offer letter, then a few months later they come back and tell you they are doing a re-assessment of he duties of all jobs and they will have to reduce your pay. They only give you 3.0 hours of leave per pay period and don't offer sick leave. If the government staff has any type of party, we are not allowed to attend. All other contractors attend the government functions. AFSC is basically training their employees that we are less thanot government employees. Also, the health benefits are extremely high! There is no room for growth within the company. I could go on and on about AFSC. It's an awful Company, so please run far away!!
Pros
Cons
High health insurance, low leave accrual, no respect, no opportunities for growth!
horrible agency and low pay
Home Visitor (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lee, VAJuly 19, 2016
low pay, no communication
poor training
no room for growth
owed money for travel and trainings
too much work for too little pay
Pros
autonomy
Cons
pay benefits communication
Great Learning Experience
Recovery Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 11, 2016
Taking care of the wounded warriors was probably the most rewarding job that I've ever had. I learned so much about the resources needed to bring a soldier from a state of despair to recovery. The staff members were passionate about their work, and the greatest reward was making a difference in someone's life. The challenge was reaching out to the resources, when so many of them come and go. Business that look great on paper were often closed, so finding good help wasn't always easy.
Pros
Flexibility in Schedule
Cons
Not enough support in the field
Could be a better company
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  scDecember 31, 2015
Accrued leave is low (3.08 a pay period). Pay is low compared to the same position if it was a GS position. I was on the job for months before I was contacted by AFSC and didn't even know they were suppose to provide clinical supervision. I had only the person from Goldbelt to approve my travel or leave. They rely on the office staff to train you for the job while AFSC get paid to do this. If you take off the day before or after a holiday, you won't get paid for the holiday. You won't get the 59s the GS employees get before a holiday or even attend some of the functions, reward ceremonies, etc. like the GS employees. It can create dissention in the office and low morale. They don't tell you all this stuff about benefits when you are interviewing or before you accept the job either.
Pros
Flexible work and the health insurance is ok
Cons
Low pay, horrible leave policies, lack of clinical oversight, no 401 K match
Run Away
clinical (Current Employee) –  VADecember 16, 2015
This company recently won the federal contract for Fleet and Family Support services. They came in, reduced everyone's salary, reduced paid time off to 14 days TOTAL (Both sick and vacation), took away our few 59s (when the skipper of the base sends everyone home an hour early, usually the day before a holiday) and gave us a 401k plan that they do not contribute to. We were told that even though Pres Obama has recommended that federal employees get a half a day off on Christmas Eve, this does not apply to us, so we have to stay. The morale is at an all time low since they took over and they do not care. We were told that this company will not allow us to have a Christmas luncheon, so we had to have a staff meeting during it for it to be allowed. They offer $200 per year for licensing, etc...So basically after I renew my professional license, there will be no money left for any conferences or training. Our supervisor has tried to fight for us to no avail. Literally everyone who works here is currently looking for another job and will likely leave as soon as they find something.

The worst part is that I really like my job. I love my team, I like my clients, and I like what I do. But working for a company that treats its employees so terribly is going to push me out.
Pros
?
Cons
Benefits, Pay, Respect, feeling valued as a team member
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, CODecember 12, 2015
My Typical day as usual enthusiasm, like working with kids but that was not for me. I have two kids myself at the house and I want different environment besides kids.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Armed Forces Services Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9