Armor Correctional Health Services Employee Reviews in United States

Not properly managed
LPN (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYNovember 9, 2015
Manager of site had no nursing experience. She was unable to fully understand nursing judgment and the decisions made by the nurses and the providers. Made little attempt to build a rapport with staff.
A progressive company with many talented employees.
RN DON, Accreditation Coordinator, (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLNovember 2, 2015
A lot of talented people, at many levels of the typical day at work. I learned a lot about business models, management and survival for a medical company in the correctional health industry. The hardest part was some ego's and management styles, and lack of leadership classes or mentorship, from the top. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of working with the line staff. It was an opportunity to learn and love going to work every day.
Pros
Co-workers, Clients, Opportunities
Cons
None to mention
I've actively been looking for a new place to work. The last 10 months with Armor have been terrible.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach FLSeptember 30, 2015
Hello. I'm going to save you a lot of frustration and tell you what I know about Armor. I deleted my original review(2nd highest rated about this company in order to update some things) I've included it because some of the stuff is relevant if Armor comes to take over your jail. This is the real deal account of what 10 months at Armor looks like at Volusia County.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get to walk out the front door. I truly feel incarcerated when I am here working for this company. Many days I think being an inmate would be better than working for Armor. There are no happy co workers and the life has been sucked out of us all. We use to be able to joke and try and enjoy our work but now it's just a giant negative mess.

We are constantly short so many nurses and they quit so fast/often that we don't have a schedules more than a week at a time. GOOD LUCK getting approved for time off. Everyone I work with needs time off because they are so fed up with this company they are ready to walk out the door and never look back. But we can't get any because we are barley covering our spots as it is. I don't even want to call off sick when I really need to because I know there is no one to work for me. Oh and the accruals for the time you work are almost nonexistent.

This place expects you to be responsible for way to many inmates. It's down right dangerous(not the inmates(most), just the amount you have to care for) If anything serious happens on your shift, you are going to be majorly screwed over. There is hardly enough time to do things the most basic
  more... way, let alone provide decent care.

We did get some help on detox checks but only because an inmate died in our custody. Thanks Armor!

The people being arrested are so messed up these days and require so much care it's not like the old days. This site doesn't have the ability to keep pace with the serious medical care required of inmates because it's so old. I think the jail was built in the 70s.

Management hides in their offices all day in meetings. How about you listen to the nurses you still have left and help us? We know what is wrong. We have tried to tell you but have gone unheard.

Old review with updates:
Armor came in and took over a contract at my local jail. They basically doubled our daily work load with their paper work and policies. Some of their stuff is better and could be great but they didn't give us any extra help at all. We have lost entire shifts of workers who became fed up with it. Many people who I work with are actively seeking other employment.(update: the EMR that was brought in is much better than the ungodly amount of paper work but they found more ways to occupy our time. We have lost a LOT of great nurses, while not doing anything to address the BAD ones)

If you are familiar with correctional nursing, you know that security staff will make or break your night. Well security hates how much more work we/they now have to do and there is constant tension between security/nursing. It was not like this before Armor took over.(update: they still give us a hard time because we have dramatically increased their work loads)

You're unlikely to get a real lunch break or any decent time to relax for 15 minutes during your 12+ hour shift. Expect to work hard, fast and nonstop from the moment you walk in the door. The hardest part of the job is remembering to fill out all the logs. There is a log for everything. It's all hard charting, and each thing you do takes so much longer than it should because of that. We don't even have internet access and are expected to use our off time to check Armor email. I have to fudge a lot of work, just to be able to fill out the forums so I don't get written up. It's a catch 22. I can either do the actual nursing care or chart that I did it. It's simply impossible with the work load to do both on most days.(update: most of the logs are electronic now but don't worry, you won't have any extra time at the end of the day still because the work load it ever increasing)

The 401k is a joke, all the fees that are included will cancel out any matching Armor does. You can't retire working for this company.

Health Insurance is better than I had on my own but you pay a lot for it. (updates: prices went up about 20% for me since last update) I pay about $260/month per person.

I don't think the people who manage have a clue about what is going on during our day. That's standard I know, but what works for one site may not work for every site. This site is not working. I'm actually amazed that more people haven't quit.(nothing changed here.)
Pros
Leaving
Cons
I'd rather deal with the cons than my bosses.
Could be better
HR Client Account Support Specialist - Cigna (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 14, 2015
Sometimes it is better to leave things as is. No comments, Great people to work with. Got along with everyone and I am in my hometown; a plus,
Very Negative work environment
LPN (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 14, 2015
Management is not good unless you are hired by upper management. They seem to be getting rid of anyone not hired by them. Rules change daily hard to keep up with new rules. Getting vacation is hard they make you submit request months ahead of time but don't tell you if approved until the 1st of the month.
Pros
End of the shift
Cons
start of the shift
Professional Tidy workplace with great energy
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLJanuary 22, 2015
A typical day at work for myself is to draw blood to perform various test on patients. I learn something new everyday if not from a co-worker then from the patients. My job duties aren't hard at all because I've mastered my skills to the best of my ability, but if I had to choose it would be trying to draw blood from a patient with small veins. The greatest part of my day being a medical assistant would be that I'm helping others and that is joy in itself.
Terrible company to work for.
MRC (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 16, 2014
Management is not very professional and tends to show favoritism. Benefits and compensation do not match the work load.
Run away!
Detox Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 4, 2014
The work is not that bad, I mean it is in a jail, but the management and staff? horrible! The new DON he is the HSA's puppet. From management on down this is not a company for anyone. I've been there 1 year. Worst year of my life! The more you work in corrections the less likely you are to get hired anywhere else. Because all you know how to do is push a cart.
Difficult place to work
Charge Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  East Meadow, NYJanuary 24, 2014
Correctional nursing is tough, and the environment at the jail in which I worked made day-to-day work functions difficult at best. The inmates are actually the best part of the job because they really need the services that you are providing.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Productive environment
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Lowell, FLDecember 5, 2013
This position allowed opportunity for advancement. Customer service driven company.
Pros
employee morale and benefits
Cons
not applicable
flexable work schedule
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLNovember 14, 2013
A typical shift involves passing medications to inmate, providing medical assistant and monitoring behavior. While working at Armor I have learned how to better manage my time. I would say the hardest part of my job is my work environment, and the most enjoyable part is being able to help someone in need regardless of the circumstances.
Pros
per diem-flexable work schedule
Cons
night shift. environment
Fun and very dangerous
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 10, 2013
Dangerous very dangerous very dangerous place to work if you like danger
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
dangerous
Awful management and supervisors
LPN (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 27, 2013
All upper management is deceitful and dishonest with staff. They hire supervisors who have no experience with dealing with management or staff issues, and the great ones they do hire are either fired or quit because standing up for their staff is essentially prohibited. After 5 years they still treat their staff horribly, their are no raises, no incentives, yet they expect you to be there for anything they need at a drop of a hat. The supervisors, especially at night, have no business being in charge of others let alone other peoples medical decisions when needed. Even things that are federally protected you will be harassed about. Don't think about lodging a complaint, either. Nothing will be done about it. Hopefully when they are done being investigated about all the deaths that happen under their care, Armor will lose their contracts.
Pros
pay is decent, fellow pod nurses are great support, deputies are wonderful to work with
Cons
management, supervisors
Good people, great service to patients
Discharge Planner (Current Employee) –  Fort LauderdaleAugust 24, 2013
Great people to work with, high skill set, experience, good service to client. Wish they operated in CA. Good hours, paid time off, flexible.
Pros
hours, pay, flexibility
Cons
correctional environment
nice work environment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 7, 2013
love working with teens and teaching them about life and how to protect themselves against stds
I moved up in may career over the past 30 years in many areas. I have used my education to a full extent
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Powhatan, VAMay 3, 2013
Rewarding and challenging
Managing a workplace was great for my experience and personal gain.
Supervisory experience I learned was invaluable
Productive environment.
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLFebruary 20, 2013
Sort and File paper work
Pull charts for nurses
Review charts
Check for Inmate Releases
Horrible company to work for.
Corrections Nurse (Former Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLSeptember 23, 2012
The worst company I have ever worked for. My direct supervisor was incapable of putting out a regular schedule and could not even implement one for longer than one month after the employees put one together for the shift and all agreed to it and every shift was filled.
When you voiced concerns or complaints to the immediate supervisor, no action was taken. When this was taken to the next level of supervision, there was never any action taken there, either. The supervisor continually put out memos and directives with threats of the consequences if the information was not followed. This created the worst back-stabbing atmosphere I have ever worked in.

The health plan offered one primary physician in the county of employment. There was no place to take a break or lunch, so most staff did not take lunch breaks. The physical environment was filthy.

This is not a company you want to work for.

2.8