Armor Correctional Health Services Employee Reviews

day's work
Correctional Nurse (Current Employee) –  Immokalee, FLMay 26, 2017
med pass. intake at booking. phlebotomy work as needed. Most enjoyable part of the job is that i know everyone and get along them. Hardest part of the job is the few times i could not find a vein for blood draw
Pros
got used to it
Cons
don't see any cons
Jail
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 15, 2017
I had not worked in an environment like this before. I was not accustomed to the processes for healthcare delivery. This made for a very uncomfortable working situation. This facility could benefit greatly from a very structured orientation and training program as there was no consistency to the preceptorship.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Lack of consistent orientation and training for a specialized environment.
important nursing
Charge RN (Current Employee) –  Waverly, VAMarch 6, 2017
This company provides an all important service to the imprisoned population. It is a very diverse group of people that with allow you to see a wide spectrum of both diagnosis as well as care needed. That being said this type of work is not for everyone
A place to grow and gain exepriences to become an asset to any nursing organization.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 22, 2017
Love the atmosphere, the people and the lessons learned. Although the place of work is a jail, the passion for nursing extends to embracing not an inmate, but a patient and providing the best nursing care to those in need. That is the greatest reward. This teaches you that not everyone has the best life or has made the best choices in life so it is important to be a compassionate advocate to a complete stranger regardless of their situation.
Health Service Administrator - Armor Correctional Health Services - Miami, FL
Health Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 15, 2017
Armor Correctional Health Services Inc. is an excellent company to be employed with. Armor's corporate staff is dedicated to their patient's and employees. The corporate staff are always available to their employee's for anything that is needed(Education, Training, Technical & Workplace advice). I cannot recommend a better company to be associated with.
Pros
Premium pay, Employee support, Patient Safety, Quality of Care
Good Work experience
RN (Current Employee) –  East Meadow, NYFebruary 2, 2017
I enjoyed working in my department. At times it was very challenging to work with other staff, as they were often unhappy with management and tasks assigned
No support, poorly educated "management".
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lake County, ILJanuary 23, 2017
Harassment was the common feature of the day, the management tended to make things up as they went along with no clue as to employment law or much else. The behavior was of a very hostile and backstabbing nature. Pay was dismal and bonuses were seldom paid. My only regret is that I did not keep better records so that I could have filed a proper wage claim.
Pros
Several of the staff and the corrections officers were great people.
Cons
Almost everything
Interesting
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 27, 2016
My day at work is very busy and interesting, I respond to emergencies within the jail, perform history and physicals, head to toe assessments, detox monitoring, lab draws, perform EKG'S,. I have learned to critically think, evaluate patients and their situations getting to the truth of their ailments. Management is very helpful and is always available for any problems that may occur. I work in the Charge Nurse capacity. Therefore I am always helpful with the staff as well. My co-workers are fun, light-hearted group of people who pull together to help out wherever is needed. The hardest part of my job is seeing young men and women with severe drug addictions. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to effectively communicate with the patient and teach them about their illness, seeing that patient make an effort to apply what you have educated them on.
working for armor corrections
nurse (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 15, 2016
Get out of my profession, you pathetic excuse for caring human beings! No one employ with this company, you will have no future, because one day, we all get escorted out, with the patient's being sacrificed for the sake of the almighty american dollar, in the pocket of the CEO. And those promoted have played by his dirty rules. I will continue to be brutally honest in expressing my opinion to all I know about how unsavory these so called people are.
Pros
the real people I worked with.
Cons
their sleazy underhanded practices, in order to save a buck!
Horrible place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 30, 2016
Upper management are a bunch of liars and snakes.You are not treated with respect at all.Regional Manger adds you to the do not rehire list if and when you give your notice. The Medical Director sleeps with her own married staff and administration allows it.The staff turn over rate is extremely high.
Pros
Cons
Horrible place to work
Worst company
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 29, 2016
If your in a leadership position then you may be treated with a little dignity. The management is like a dictatorship , if you are a RN, LPN, Med. Tech , secretary etc you have no value to Armor. The hardest part of the job was watching the moral of my Co workers drop. The most enjoyable part of the job was ( celebrating with co workers who found new employment). They have a poor benefits package with extremely high cost health insurance . ($800 + for a family). They are a for profit company and are self serving . The staff is treated with no dignity and often feels bullied in meetings they talk down to you or at you . Most companies value their nurses opinion and want to work as a team , not at Armor. Their inexperienced leadership staff will make sure of that. Most of my Co workers are actively seeking other employment or have a 2nd job that they can fall back on . Armor prefers new graduates nurses because they can pay them lower wages and manipulate them. Almost all of the staff consist of new nurses all of the experienced staff was fired for nonsensicle reasons the others saw the trend and guit. They are constantly recruiting all the time because the turner over rate is very high. APPLY HERE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Pros
Cons
Worst company I ever worked for
Not properly managed
LPN (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYNovember 9, 2015
Manager of site had no nursing experience. She was unable to fully understand nursing judgment and the decisions made by the nurses and the providers. Made little attempt to build a rapport with staff.
A progressive company with many talented employees.
RN DON, Accreditation Coordinator, (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLNovember 2, 2015
A lot of talented people, at many levels of the typical day at work. I learned a lot about business models, management and survival for a medical company in the correctional health industry. The hardest part was some ego's and management styles, and lack of leadership classes or mentorship, from the top. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of working with the line staff. It was an opportunity to learn and love going to work every day.
Pros
Co-workers, Clients, Opportunities
Cons
None to mention
supportive and caring environment.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLOctober 8, 2015
Report ,rounding with RN and MHT. Medication and groups are done, Labs as ordered. admission and discharge of inmates.Had great working relationship with staff, controlled and well-manned atmosphere.
I've actively been looking for a new place to work. The last 10 months with Armor have been terrible.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach FLSeptember 30, 2015
Hello. I'm going to save you a lot of frustration and tell you what I know about Armor. I deleted my original review(2nd highest rated about this company in order to update some things) I've included it because some of the stuff is relevant if Armor comes to take over your jail. This is the real deal account of what 10 months at Armor looks like at Volusia County.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get to walk out the front door. I truly feel incarcerated when I am here working for this company. Many days I think being an inmate would be better than working for Armor. There are no happy co workers and the life has been sucked out of us all. We use to be able to joke and try and enjoy our work but now it's just a giant negative mess.

We are constantly short so many nurses and they quit so fast/often that we don't have a schedules more than a week at a time. GOOD LUCK getting approved for time off. Everyone I work with needs time off because they are so fed up with this company they are ready to walk out the door and never look back. But we can't get any because we are barley covering our spots as it is. I don't even want to call off sick when I really need to because I know there is no one to work for me. Oh and the accruals for the time you work are almost nonexistent.

This place expects you to be responsible for way to many inmates. It's down right dangerous(not the inmates(most), just the amount you have to care for) If anything serious happens on your shift, you are going to be majorly screwed over. There is hardly enough time to do things the most basic
  more... way, let alone provide decent care.

We did get some help on detox checks but only because an inmate died in our custody. Thanks Armor!

The people being arrested are so messed up these days and require so much care it's not like the old days. This site doesn't have the ability to keep pace with the serious medical care required of inmates because it's so old. I think the jail was built in the 70s.

Management hides in their offices all day in meetings. How about you listen to the nurses you still have left and help us? We know what is wrong. We have tried to tell you but have gone unheard.

Old review with updates:
Armor came in and took over a contract at my local jail. They basically doubled our daily work load with their paper work and policies. Some of their stuff is better and could be great but they didn't give us any extra help at all. We have lost entire shifts of workers who became fed up with it. Many people who I work with are actively seeking other employment.(update: the EMR that was brought in is much better than the ungodly amount of paper work but they found more ways to occupy our time. We have lost a LOT of great nurses, while not doing anything to address the BAD ones)

If you are familiar with correctional nursing, you know that security staff will make or break your night. Well security hates how much more work we/they now have to do and there is constant tension between security/nursing. It was not like this before Armor took over.(update: they still give us a hard time because we have dramatically increased their work loads)

You're unlikely to get a real lunch break or any decent time to relax for 15 minutes during your 12+ hour shift. Expect to work hard, fast and nonstop from the moment you walk in the door. The hardest part of the job is remembering to fill out all the logs. There is a log for everything. It's all hard charting, and each thing you do takes so much longer than it should because of that. We don't even have internet access and are expected to use our off time to check Armor email. I have to fudge a lot of work, just to be able to fill out the forums so I don't get written up. It's a catch 22. I can either do the actual nursing care or chart that I did it. It's simply impossible with the work load to do both on most days.(update: most of the logs are electronic now but don't worry, you won't have any extra time at the end of the day still because the work load it ever increasing)

The 401k is a joke, all the fees that are included will cancel out any matching Armor does. You can't retire working for this company.

Health Insurance is better than I had on my own but you pay a lot for it. (updates: prices went up about 20% for me since last update) I pay about $260/month per person.

I don't think the people who manage have a clue about what is going on during our day. That's standard I know, but what works for one site may not work for every site. This site is not working. I'm actually amazed that more people haven't quit.(nothing changed here.)
Pros
Leaving
Cons
I'd rather deal with the cons than my bosses.
Could be better
HR Client Account Support Specialist - Cigna (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 14, 2015
Sometimes it is better to leave things as is. No comments, Great people to work with. Got along with everyone and I am in my hometown; a plus,
Very Negative work environment
LPN (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 14, 2015
Management is not good unless you are hired by upper management. They seem to be getting rid of anyone not hired by them. Rules change daily hard to keep up with new rules. Getting vacation is hard they make you submit request months ahead of time but don't tell you if approved until the 1st of the month.
Pros
End of the shift
Cons
start of the shift
Professional Tidy workplace with great energy
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLJanuary 22, 2015
A typical day at work for myself is to draw blood to perform various test on patients. I learn something new everyday if not from a co-worker then from the patients. My job duties aren't hard at all because I've mastered my skills to the best of my ability, but if I had to choose it would be trying to draw blood from a patient with small veins. The greatest part of my day being a medical assistant would be that I'm helping others and that is joy in itself.
Terrible company to work for.
MRC (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 16, 2014
Management is not very professional and tends to show favoritism. Benefits and compensation do not match the work load.
Run away!
Detox Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 4, 2014
The work is not that bad, I mean it is in a jail, but the management and staff? horrible! The new DON he is the HSA's puppet. From management on down this is not a company for anyone. I've been there 1 year. Worst year of my life! The more you work in corrections the less likely you are to get hired anywhere else. Because all you know how to do is push a cart.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Armor Correctional Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7