Armstrong Group of Companies Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bethel Park, PAFebruary 3, 2016
Came from Veterans Cable and shadowed an Armstrong driver for my training. During training, my pay was $400 a week, which was nice. However, I was told the work hours were going to be from 8am-4pm, but I'll probably get off around 2pm most days. That sounded great to me. Turns out, I had to meet up with my trainer at 6am, get to the warehouse by 7am to get equipment and organize things for the day. 90% of the time, I didn't get home until 7:30pm. this happened on day 1. By the end of the first week, I realized, from my trainer, that this is how the job is. He has gotten off around 4pm before, but that isn't likely, and getting off at 2pm is nearly impossible. 12 hour work days were definitely not what I was told the job would be like. Maybe while applying if I had known this, I wouldn't have quit before my training was even over.

If you truly enjoy installing cable, spending all day, 5 days a week doing it may not sound so bad. In that case, go for it. If you are skeptical, I strongly recommend talking to a current or recent employee first - NOT the managers or the guys telling you whatever they can to hire you.
Pros
Decent pay (depending on the day), friendly co-workers
Cons
Poor communication, unreliable management.
Not a great company
customer service (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAJanuary 18, 2016
I worked at the call center so really this only applies to that establishment. I wanted to leave two star rating but I couldn't give more than a one star in the categories. I'd say its an alright job if you are looking to get a job for a couple of months while still looking for something but thats about all.

Work days are crazy. You answer calls non stop the entire day. You deal with frustrated and angry people all day. They give you a schedule for 2 months at a time or so. Its pretty much impossible to get a good schedule unless you've worked there for over 5 years. Anyone under that will be working nights and weekends. Allot of the times not even two days off in a row.

Pay is alright but again only for like a job for a couple of months. I'd say 90% or more of the people there are part time. So they do not offer any benefits. They do not give any paid vacation. You get very little sick days and they are not paid as well. They will give you a raise yearly but its not much when you start out so low.

I worked there for a couple of years and the chance of advancement is very slim. I applied to a good number of jobs and was never considered for any. I have a college degree and I am a good worker so I found it strange that I could not move up. It wasn't just me as well. Many people at their call center work their part time positions for years and years without moving up or getting full time.

Management is very poor. You will never see or know the people that run the place. Supervisors are extremely bad at their jobs. The call center will be having a flood of calls
  more... or having a major issue and you will see them all talking together at one of their desks. That or they will be doing nothing at all. Many of the supervisors were not even knowledgeable about troubleshooting and other parts of my job. Many times I would point out or inform supervisors of the correct way of handling a situation in which they had said something different. When a situation like a cable outage occurred, they were very slow to put up a message to inform customers that there was an outage in there area and we had technicians working on it. Also on the weekends, the supervisors would basically vanish.

Job culture is pretty crazy too. Management tries to distract the employees with what they call their "FISH" culture or team etc. Some of the things that this FISH team would do is make free popcorn on Fridays, make bulletin boards around the office and decorate the cubicles/office during holidays. First of all, employees were being paid to decorate cubicles or make popcorn while the rest of us did our actual jobs. Second, I found this pretty insulting that they try to say that Armstrong is a great place to work with these type of things yet at the same time they don't offer their employees benefits or paid vacations or paid sick time.

This all probably sounds negative or biased etc. I'm really not trying to be though. I worked their for some years and worked hard, tried to help customers the best I could and met all their requirements of my job. I'm really just trying to be honest about the Armstrong Call Center and their business in general. Hopefully serve as a warning to others as well.
Pros
Not many. A job thats about it
Cons
No benefits, most positions Part time, no paid vacation or sick days, Choatic work duties, poor management, low pay
Waste of time
electronic tester (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 4, 2016
I worked for this company for close to a year in Erie PA.

I worked almost 300 hours of overtime within that time frame. When it came time to hire me in from temp agency (90 days from start date) they drug their feet. Which i heard was the norm for them to wait 6 months.

Pay is bi-weekly and some of the worst work to pay ratio in erie pa. They expect constant fast paced work in a fast environment testing electronics and pay them the least amount.

bottom line--if you want to work hard with no chance at advancement, raises, or respect, don not work here. Your paychecks are small and they will stay that way. Also you will not be recognized for your accomplishments, only your mistakes.

the management is ran and controlled by HR. They are constantly over stepping their boundaries, and ignore the "little guys" on the floor.

Bad place to work period.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
too many to list, read descrioption
too political high turnover
engineer (Current Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 19, 2015
don't work here. If you wish to advance your career. Difficult place to work. High management turn over. Your efforts will not be rewarded.
Pros
floor people are excellent to work with
Cons
too political and high management turnover
Limited Advancement
Document Control (Current Employee) –  Erie, PANovember 4, 2015
Currently I work at AccuSpec Electronics that is located in Erie, PA and owned by Armstrong. The days are standard, but they have very limited advancement.

Management makes promises that they don't follow through on in regards to raises and compensating. Expect to do jobs that aren't your "function" without being paid for them!
Pros
Cons
Limited advancement, bad management
I love it!
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Butler, PANovember 19, 2014
I'll start off by talking about my job. I am classified as a full time TSR agent, which means that I answer inbound calls from customers. The calls can range from simple questions to fairly complex troubleshooting of our internet and telephone services. People calling in can be very nice or outrageously mean, you never know what you're gonna get. People skills are a must!

Some days are slow and relaxed, most are moderate, and others are extremely busy and a bit stressful. However, everything kind of evens itself out. It's definitely not one of those call centers where you take wall to wall calls every day of the year from start to finish.

We have a great supervisor and lead line staff that is available to answer questions and help us along the way. They deal with a lot of stuff like talking to outrageous angry customers, escalations to NOC, and making sure that TSRs are doing a good job, just to name a few.

There is a great resource available to is known as the help desk, which offers step by step troubleshooting processes, escalation forms, pictures of the equipment and operating system screenshots, and even more. If you can't find an answer there, you're probably not looking hard enough!

Now, on to the important stuff! How does the company treat their employees?

Armstrong Cable is a great family owned, privately held company. I have been working at Armstrong for about 10 years. I started as a part time Technical Support Representative and have since been promoted a few times within the company. I originally meant for Armstrong to simply be my job as I worked my way through
  more... college, but it became more than that!

The company pays well. Definitely better than most entry level positions. The yearly hourly raises have always been over $1.00 per hour, most years they are closer to $2.00 per hour. There is an hourly raise cap (I haven't reached it yet), at which time you will only earn yearly cost of living raises, but it's in the neighborhood of $20-$25 per hour, depending on your position from what I have heard.

There are always overtime opportunities, so you can really add to your income rather easily. With overtime and working holidays, you can really make some good money! In a time where many companies are cutting hours, downsizing, laying off, outsourcing and firing their staff, this is great!

The company currently offers health insurance coverage through Highmark and Aetna. The company pension plan and 401k is through Mass Mutual.

Another perk is that all employees, whether part time or full time, receive free cable TV, Internet and home telephone service. There is still a charge for pay per view and on demand movies, but it is discounted.

As far as time off, Armstrong is pretty awesome! Full time employees receive 4 floating holidays, 10 vacation days and 5 sick days, all paid for, each year! That's 19 paid days off per year! Oh, and after 5 years of full time, you get another additional week of vacation! And even more time off as you continue to work there! So I currently enjoy 24 paid days off per year. Like I said, pretty awesome!

You can take your time off anytime you want. Single days, full weeks, all at once, it's up to you!

If you have the unfortunate experience of having a death in the family, you get up to 3 paid bereavement days per occurrence. Those days do not count against your sick or vacation time. Again, Armstrong knows how to treat their employees right!

Shift bids and Holiday working days are determined by seniority. It's a very fair system. Those who have paid their dues get rewarded.

For example, I currently have weekends off and have 2 holidays that I can "protect" every year. I choose not to come to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas anymore!

Scheduling is flexible. You have the option to swap days with co-workers and leave work early (without pay, VTO) on slower days. Also, you can login from home and schedule a vacation day at any time!

Armstrong also offers financial educational assistance if you're full time and still pursuing an education.

I have enjoyed my time and treatment so far at Armstrong and I expect that to continue for years to come. I expect a lot more growth, especially with everything moving towards the Internet and broadband video and away from old school cable TV. No matter what, people need the Internet!

The only people who post negative reviews about Armstrong are those who weren't cut out to do the job. A bunch of sore whiners! It's so annoying. Like another reviewer said, I guess those people expected to come in, get full time and make $40,000 right out of the gate.

Oh yeah, and these people are always the ones to complain about having to do work or be at work when they'd rather be drinking or playing video games. They are also the first to go home on VTO. They probably whine about management and those who are successful. "We're busy! Why aren't they answering the phones?" Because instead of whining, they wanted better for themselves and have graduated past being a phone agent!

Listen, it's not hard at all to be successful. Have a work ethic. Offer to take on a new challenge. Be open to new learning experiences. Sacrifice and work weekends, nights, holidays. Do what it takes to become better and more valuable.

Anyway, Armstrong rocks! If you're thinking about working there, do it. If you're thinking about making a career of it, that can be done too!
Pros
good pay, lots of paid time off, free cable and internet service, health insurance, life insurance, retirement savings plan
Cons
sometimes we can be very busy and it can be stressful
Stable and productive work place with a great reputation.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAMay 1, 2014
Great work environment. Management is always accessible and very helpful and positive. Working with customers on a daily basis its the best part of the job. All co-workers are very friendly and helpful. All around a great place to work.
Pros
work enviornment
Cons
part time
Depends on the day
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAMarch 22, 2014
Some days can be very busy where you barely get to breathe between calls. If there is an outage it can be rather overwhelming.
CSR (Current Employee) –  ButlerDecember 10, 2013
No i don't care to now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country
Pros
helping people, free services at home
Cons
commute
Good place to start, if you're starting out
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAOctober 23, 2013
Good place for young people, either college or high school grads, single and unattached, looking to build a future with a good company. Not so much for older folks with families. The fact that it's still privately owned and the size it is does speak volumes.

CSR's and TSR's all start at $9.50 an hour, and are expected to meet performance guidelines such as time spent per call, after call work, must-mentions, and are subject to monthly reviews.

Everyone starts at 27.5 hours a week, but this increases with seniority, and extra hours are almost always available to those who want them. Workers at the CSC generally spend at least a year there before getting full-time work.
Pros
popcorn fridays, casual dress code, free cable and phone to part-time csrs, free internet and phone to part-time tsr's. openings are always posted internally.
Cons
evenings and holidays, not very realistic performance expectations, low pay for job type, and limited advancement.
Good place to work.
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Butler, PADecember 7, 2012
Learn something new every day while teaching others.
Everyone's issue is different, so there's no monotony.
Private Utility Company with great pay and benefits.
Outside Plant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Harrisville, WVNovember 1, 2012
Putting out day to day fires.
Hard work and dedication wil enable one to make a honest living.
Mnagement is usally mirco-managed from corporate level.
The hardest part of the job is that you are exposed to it everywhere in the community.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the public and providing them with great products and services.
Pros
great income. federally subsidized. secure employment.
Cons
not much time for a family life.

2.5