Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Store Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Leonard Wood, MODecember 14, 2017
I liked working at the shoppette and meeting new people. AAFES has great benefits and advancement options for those that work for it. The hourly pay is low and slow to get raises and such. This is a great place to work for a first job or for someone who lives on base and close to the shop. I had too far to drive to work for minimum wage and part time hours.
Fast pace, but fun
Assist Exchange (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 13, 2017
Installed hardware and software on personnel computers
Used MS Office Excel to send reports to supervisors when job was finished
Assist Exchange personal with computer issue on in/out bound calls
Installed programs and updates on business computers
Benefits
Cons
Bad Upper management
Dead end
Material Handler II (Interim) (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 13, 2017
This is a company full of managers that have never worked in a warehouse and don't understand the jobs they are in charge of. As a result, this warehouse has been behind for over 2 years and is always on mandatory overtime. Half of the overtime, however, is spent on nonsense that has nothing to do with the work that needs to be caught up on. It's almost impossible to get fired, so people stay even thought the company pay $4 and hour less than ever other distribution facility in the area.
Pros
can't get fired
Cons
worst company ever
Honorable work environment with interesting people from all over the world.
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hill AFB, UTDecember 13, 2017
While at Aafes I directed customers to store locations and assisted them on selecting items based on needs and or wants. I learned the value of serving others, especially being in the presence of our countries veterans. They helped me to develop more gratitude and strengthen my love and appreciation for this country. My supervisor was friendly and understanding, also quite encouraging. I would describe the work place culture as fast paced, friendly and enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was sometimes locating a specific item desired by the customer, and or handling their disappointment in the best way possible. And although there were minor set backs to the job itself, I found a great deal of enjoyment in it. Seeing active duty military in all branches on a regular day basis, gave me a sense of pride at my job. Being given the opportunity to brighten a soldiers day definitely did something for me as well. I was able to interact on a personal level with these important men and woman in ways I never had before.
Pros
Worked with active duty and retired military. Had creative and positive work atmosphere.
Cons
Fast paced work environment with little down time. Holiday work required.
horrible General Manager
Concept Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Redstone Arsenal, ALDecember 13, 2017
Upper Management believes everyone is replaceable. Does not care about the employees or their families. only concern is profit. very rude and has a bad attitude.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home AFB, IDDecember 12, 2017
Great place to work especially if you live on base. It's easy access and the only times the Base Exchange is busy is at lunch time and on holidays where they have great deals on merchandise.
Aafes
Cashier, Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSDecember 12, 2017
I loved working for this company. While at times it was busy, the majority of the time we were able to complete our task that would normally be done at the end of the shift.
I LOVED working with our Soldiers and their families. I found it an honor to be able to be the one that made sure their shopping experience was successful and that they were able to find what the needed.
Working at AAFES
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Baden-WürttembergDecember 11, 2017
A typical day at work was dealing with customers and serving chicken. Managing the store duties with the demands of the customers meant making sure that all the food that was being prepared was in accordance to Popeye's standards. The workplace culture was alright when things were doing fine. The hardest part was working shifts where there wasn't enough staff to cover the needs of that shift. It made getting that the quality of the product was hard to get out and that other duties would be shifted around to a later time when it could be done. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the team could come together and serve customers without having to worry about what things needed to be done in order to finish the shift.
Pros
Getting half off on employee meals
Awful
Store Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDDecember 9, 2017
If I could give 0 stars I would. Idk about other locations, but the Minot location is horrendous. ALL of the management needs some serious retraining. Associate training is seriously lacking. Not that the employees want to do anything anyways. I wouldn’t recommend eating any of the food cooked on the roller grills either. No one and I mean NO ONE follows the rules (probably because they weren’t taught). I don’t know how no one has gotten sick yet.
Pros
Cons
rude managers, lazy coworkers, gross/poorly built store
Fun place to work if you don't have kids.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSDecember 8, 2017
I am a General Manager of a facility in the food court. I learned a lot and management was really cool. I love the different kinds of people and the hardest part of my job is getting my employees to work well together due the age range. Most enjoyable part was the respect you get from working with the military and being apart of our wonderful country.
Pros
50% off employee meals
Cons
Payscale a bit off.
Good first job
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CADecember 6, 2017
Good pay and great co-workers. As a first job it was the perfect mix of fast-paced and calm. Although the hours weren't great I was able to get alot of experience from there.
Pros
Free soda, Could watch movie during lunch
Cons
Not enough hours
Excellent growth oportunity
Puerto Rico Car Care Center Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Buchanan, PRDecember 6, 2017
This is a company where you can feel like if you are growing your retail knowledge as well as your professional work. Excellent staff and very attending managers
Its a great place for a first time job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GADecember 5, 2017
It works for a first time job but rarely see anyone move up in the food chain. Has some potential to be a career but depends on the workers preference.
Pros
50% off on lunch and free employee drink
Cons
Long hours and not enough down time
I think they are OK.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buckley AFB, CODecember 4, 2017
They did not utilize my potential since I was a degree holder could have been a great asset to their team. I just did my job and punch out at the end of the day. I realized I could have been a great asset to them but I also had to leave because we moved.
Pros
I just did my job
Cons
no motivation
The Exchange has a wonderful mission.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXDecember 4, 2017
If you work for the Exchange/AAFES you will feel a pride in the mission which is to serve the military which so strongly serves all of us. The Exchange associates that "believe" in the mission are like a family.

The pay is not competitive and there is little room for advancement within unless you get into work politics. The Union at the Exchange makes life miserable if you are a non-bargaining unit associate. They do not look out for the best interest of the employees but rather gather their union dues and squander them.
Pros
Serving the UNITED STATES military proudly. The Exchange goes where they go!
Cons
Union, little advancement opportunities
Nice work environment
Foodcourt foreman (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 3, 2017
Working with AAFES is an ok job , friendly people and laid back environment. The customer can be rude at times but overall nice people to meet. The manager are very reasonable about days off.
worked there for 20+ years
Assistant Manager Nellis Express (Current Employee) –  Nellis AFB, NVDecember 3, 2017
The ability to serve who are serving enables one to have a sense of humbless and pride. We are here to serve the families and active duty and retired personnel and provide quality prices and products to our customers.
Cons
If you are in management, yiu dont have much family time
Fun place to work
SHIFT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Maxwell AFB, ALDecember 1, 2017
I was Shift Manager at the Maxwell Class Six which is a liquor store. I loved working at this facility. It was fun to come to work and we worked as a team. I gained most of my learning experience at this facility. Management, receiving, training, price changes, transfers, forklift, servsafe, signage and etc. all of my training with more learning carried over to my current position.
Pros
Excellent enviroment
Cons
I couldn't get a permanent promotion
workplace culture
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hinesville, GADecember 1, 2017
the employees were always friendly. it was a learning environment, people took time out to explain the job to you and help if time permitted. as long as you did what was required of you the job was a breeze
Pros
great management
Cons
short breaks if any at all
trainer
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYNovember 27, 2017
ok, there's this time we got a new employee and one of my co-worker had to train her. By the time they almost done, our manager came up to my co-worker and told her to follow her help her with something, i was like freaked out cuz if she leaves imma have to take over. the thing is everybody knows i never trained to be a trainer yet .so i started by "hi how are you doing, do you have any questions on what have shown or trained her if not let's continue where your trainer left off. and i did it, i trained her sooo perfect my manager was soo schock, i didn't have any trainy experience and that new employee i trained? she did great just like i told her to, by the end of the day, i became all the managers favorite lol... it's true. they put all their trusts on me and know everything is going to be ok as long as i'm there and never looked down on me every again
Pros
paid off days or call in sick days, vocations
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army & Airforce Exchange Service. Our community is ready to answer.