Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews

Store Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAJanuary 19, 2018
Its always cold every day coming to work
I learned to get along with employees and staff
management was great always supportive
Workplace great very professional level.

hardest part of the job...first time working with AAFES but it wasn't long to adapt to work schedule then all went well.

most enjoyable moment is when lots of different celebrities come over to AAFES PX in Fort Lewis draws lots of attention from everywhere.
Pros
very professional work enviroment
Cons
short hours
Fast paced, stressful, competitive
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hill AFB, UTJanuary 18, 2018
Overall good place to work, pay usually comparable with off base. Promotion potential minimal, hours can fluctuate depending on position with company.
An Interesting Experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAJanuary 18, 2018
Overall the Exchange is a good place to work, especially if you are a student or the spouse of a service member. For those who are single adults working to pay the bills, it can be a struggle if you are a part time or intermittent.
Pros
Healthcare for those who are regular part time or full time
Productive. Fun place to work.
Safety and Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Travis AFB, CAJanuary 18, 2018
AAFES overall was a very good place to work. It has excellent benefits and job security. As long as you're good at your job you have a chance for advancement as well.
Work
Store Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJanuary 18, 2018
Most days are the same, working with customers, benefits are decent, you work here to have a job, some managers are worth working for and others aren't.
Pros
Guaranteed job, lots of good people
Cons
Management, no structured training program
Good place to get a job when you need one
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Joint Base Lewis McChord, WAJanuary 17, 2018
Overall review is 3 stars because I know not every store is the same as the one I worked at. Its a good place to get a job. Not something that I would make a career out of. Too much stress for not enough pay with people who either have no clue or they let power go to their head.
I'd have stayed
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 17, 2018
Working at AAFES was not a bad job. I would have stayed if my manager would work with my school schedule but through the conversation we had, she had me choose between my job or my degree and I'm not giving up my degree for a minimum wage job with no way to move up.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, flexible hours, easy to get to
Cons
Management, co-worker drama
Used to be a fine place to work for now I have ses good points and bad points
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 17, 2018
The exchange have is good points and bad parts and all depends on who Manager Is and your store manager is Too many hands in the pot I guess I that's the correct way sin is more for the government
Pros
Pros you get to be all kinds of people from different nationalities
Cons
Cons Too many cost to talk about
Great place to work for if you choose to go mobile
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Selfridge Angb, MIJanuary 16, 2018
I loved my job there However was forced to take a cashier position due to reduction in force or quit. It is a very family type environment , I feel those who do good work do advance however limited to staying local or going Mobil which could place you anyplace .
Pros
Great company
Cons
Limited room for advancement
Very fun place to work and see familiar faces everyday.
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Ft. Benning, GAJanuary 16, 2018
I had the very best manager ever while working here. This manager made coming to work fun while teaching us by example that we can all work together to get the job done
Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the other shift manager.
During a typical day at work, we kept the store stocked and fronted. We greeted everyone who entered with a hearty "Hello!" and had many of the same families and soldiers come in whom we got to know and look forward to seeing.
Pros
A mile from my house and they seek to hire military spouses.
Cons
Hard time keeping people at our particular store because of one inconsistent shift manager, pay is not great
Fun making coffee
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lee, VAJanuary 16, 2018
Giving the best customer service. I have learned that time management is very important and to prioritize. I am a manager and sometimes I have to coach my team on policies and why. I work with many kinds of people everyone learns different. Hardest part of my job is having to terminate employees that are great workers but they did something that they should not have. The most enjoyable part of my job is making people smile completing the challenge.
Pros
sick time, vacation time
Cons
no consistency in schedule
very great place to work
Warehouse Foreman (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 14, 2018
i have held 3 different positions at this company and had fun in all of them, coworkers are nice, management is very approachable and the job keeps me really busy.
Fast-paced working environment
Food service worker (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 13, 2018
Other than lack of managerial respect, the job was fitting for the pay. I would most likely not recommend working for the AAFES jobs primarily due to the managers.
minimum wage
Retail Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  OSAN AIR BASEJanuary 12, 2018
worked at the register for a couple of months, had great Korean coworkers but the hourly pay is horrible. Plus as an American in korea you don't have the same rights and days off as the locals even though you work for an American company
I was a cook
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJanuary 12, 2018
I loved the fast pace of being a cook at the food court. Management was great. Only down side was the drama that my coworkers would start. That was the main reason I left.
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
Drama
Exceptional work place
Supervisor of Central Checkout (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYJanuary 11, 2018
During my time with the exchange, the management was awesome, any day of work could be challenging and effective. I learned to greet people with a smile and pleasantness their attitudes changed from angry to tolerable. The most enjoyable day for me when the store manager at the time told me that I did what no other Supervisor has done during the time he was managing the store, which meant that I had hired over 20 qualified men and women with different cultural backgrounds to run Central Checkout and I worked without a Manager for my department. While working there I never had a hardest part of the job, I enjoyed everyday that I was employed with AAFES.
Pros
Managment and my co-workers
Awesome
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Loved working for AAFES. it was relaxed and they really worked around my schedule. the people there were always very helpful. no one tried to make the other employees feel bad about anything we all worked as a team.
fast pace and safe environment
Customer Service Representative, Exchange, AAFES (Current Employee) –  Columbus AFB, MS 39701January 6, 2018
The typical day to day operations is fast pace and very fluid. There is always opportunities to learn something new everyday, especially from the customers you interact with on a daily basis. The management staff is very helpful in resolving issues and providing a flexible or alternate work schedule that will accommodate your needs. The workplace is a diverse culture, which makes it enjoyable to work and learn new things from many different perspectives. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with customers and ensuring they find and get what they need.
Pros
Safe work environment
Cons
No full time positions
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McChord AFB, WAJanuary 5, 2018
It was a nice job, good bosses. Scheduled everyone well with everyone in mind when asking for time off and didn't over work us. Allowed us to take training courses to learn everything that we could and helped you to advance to manager if you desired to.
Productive workplace
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 3, 2018
Workplace culture is quick pace, yet assisting customers is always rewarding. I really enjoyed working for this company. The hardest part of the job is not being to work full time.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Not enough hours to work full time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army & Airforce Exchange Service. Our community is ready to answer.