Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews in United States

Not recommended for older workers
Warehouse laborer (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, N.Y. Main ExchangeMarch 10, 2016
Good place to work 5 years ago. 2010 thru 2015. Once management turnover began it was sheer bedlam. They brought in people that had no management skills. Promoted the same. Your chance of moving up in the organization is who you know and who your friends are in supervision.
Co workers were the best, New hires would rely on the older employees. The harmony was great.
Hardest part of job was leaving after 5 years of employment. I will always miss the co workers. When I left there was not even any intention by management in trying to retain me. No interest as to why I was leaving., even though I was never written up for anything.
Enjoyable part was being employee of the month. Also the commendations of my immediate foreman.
Pros
The parties for people that were leaving.
Cons
No health care, no benefits for intermittents
Good job for a high school student
Cashier/Temporary Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSNovember 24, 2015
This job was very menial, and did not offer much room for advancement in salary or position. The work was simple. Customer service was a priority as well as cash handling skills. The hardest part of the job was the days when new air force students arrived on base and the shop was packed with new soldiers who needed help finding everything, and there were at least 300 students in the store at one time, twice a week. The easiest and most fun part of the job was stocking the shelves. All the workers pitched in and helped everyone out in any area. The workers were very friendly and helpful but the job did not offer much for someone who has a family or any real life expenses.
Pros
laid-back atmosphere and enjoyed coming to work
Cons
very minimal hours, and inconvenient for little pay
The Exchange is a great place for a career.
Food Court Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCFebruary 16, 2016
I have enjoyed many years of work and travel while employed at the Exchange. I have worked hard and reaped many benefits while employed there. i was fortunate enough to begin an career at a young age and i am now moving on to a second career.
Pros
Great pay and travel opportunities.
Cons
Organizational Climate is weak.
worse job i ever had
laborer/stocker (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJanuary 13, 2016
You come in for only 4 hours a day to stock your area and they expect you to have everything done. The mangers is lazy The place is not ran right. I think if they get new management everything will be fine. If you a kid in Highschool or college it's ok but a grown up wouldn't accept the pay and hours check only 300 dollars every 2 weeks.
Pros
Cons
short breaks no benefits no hours
it's ok place to work if you have no where to go
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHJanuary 28, 2016
Low pay, management not great..If you work as FT benefits is great. Holidays pay,vacation,sick leave etc..but over all you can not make a living with their low hour wage..not for career
Pros
full benefits
Cons
low paying job, mulitple jobs same pay
havinf fun and helpfull desk manager
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Dix, NJMarch 20, 2016
i like my cpmpany where i work, having good knowledge and skills to interact with customers, they give me all the life benefits which i needs, they are always redy to help me.
Pros
holidays celerations, retirement celerations
Cons
lunch breaks, short breaks
Food Court Manager (Former Employee) –  West Point, NYFebruary 3, 2016
Excellent company for professional growth and movement. Working there is like giving back. We provide a great service to our military men and women
Pros
benefits, company car, expense account
Great!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 19, 2016
Loved the team, and job.
Employee moral and work life balance is great
limitless advancement opportunities
associate picnics/ BBQs
associate shop night
great benefits
variety of culture but horrible pay rate
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Myer, VAJanuary 27, 2016
good atmosphere employees are from different cultures so you can learn a lot and good benefits like vacation and sick leave but you have to be at least regular part time employee

but the pay rate is too low
AAFES is okay
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Lee, VirginiaAugust 11, 2015
I worked at AAFES for almost 2 years and it's not bad for those who are spouses or college students. As a cashier,I didn't make much to start and I didn't make much by the time I left (I even received my two raises within the 1st year.) AAFES is good for those who want to climb the ranks but it seems like everyone I've known who has grown, hit a wall at some point. I always loved the people I worked with and the job is not hard but you do not receive discounts unless you work in the Food Services side. I would recommend to anyone who isn't the sole provider of their household and just wants to make some easy money on the side. It's definitely not a bad job but retention is not something I personally think is one of their strongest attributes.
Pros
Tax free shopping, annual bonus, networking
Cons
Short breaks, no discounts, demanding at times, no weekends, management can be hit or miss and perform duties outside of your designated job
50% off
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 1, 2016
Subway is fun to at. but you gotta be fast learner, because we need to serve customers and we need to make them happy.
workers are nice they will you alot in so many ways in the job
Pros
50% off meal
Cons
low salary, not full time nor part time..
Avoid it unlees you are desperate for a job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cannon AFB, NMMarch 3, 2016
This is my second unfortunate time I have worked for affees.I thought because it was a different location,things would be better.Nope, and it continues to get worse.The longer I am here the more I am seeing.Coruption,bad management,and favoritism.Very little hours,pathetic pay,and very little chance of advancement.Management does nothing to fix problems,and it amazes me that some people still have their jobs.Lazy employees that are only there for a paycheck make it difficult for the hardworkers.I know that's at any job,but having experience working in a lot of other places,affees is the worst.The only reason I haven't left is because there aren't many jobs around here.As soon as I find something better,I am gone.However,I am still grateful to have this job even though it sucks lol
Pros
Serving the military
Cons
Dont get me started
Productive and a positive cultural experience.
Warehouse, Office Assistant and Temp Business Mngr (Former Employee) –  FE Warren, WY and Fort Lee, VAFebruary 29, 2016
Starting the day with an uplifting morning meeting. Then busy with vendors kept me on my toes. I learned it's good to take as many free courses available without interference with day to day tasks. Management styles vary and one learns a lot to take with to any job. Co-workers vary in culture and it's a wonderful experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning from the operations of a store and how everything comes together; From warehouse to the front line associates to customer relations. As well as running an operation and taking care of the customers.
Pros
Awards ceremonies, associate gatherings/parties, free classes and training.
Cons
Annual inventory conducted by all associates.
This job has changed a lot over time.
Material Handler II (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 20, 2015
Very hard on your body. This job used to offer full time positions, but no longer provides them. For someone just willing to work part time without benefits its a good place to work. If you have a house hold to take care this may not be the wise choice.
Pros
set amount of hours a week
Cons
lowest paid warehouse in area, not offering anymore full time positions
Not a friendly environment
Former manager (Former Employee) –  SCMarch 22, 2016
Supervisory and Management positions are not the best choice. They will work you like there's no tommorow and pay you garbage money. Not to mention you will be micro managed and treated like a two year old. Not a company I would recommend.
Pros
Cons
Micro-managers, long hours, not good pay for the work you have to do.
Great mission, valuable customers, nice people
PAR Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 9, 2016
Company with a valuable mission to provide retail goods and services on Army and Air Force bases worldwide, including warzone locations. With that in mind, the AAFES teams are at their best when supporting soldiers and airmen in deployed locations. Management largely understands the mission, and recent changes to senior leadership have resulted in a more realistic evaluation of organizational P&L statements. Investment in new and existing systems as well as an improvement to the intercultural understanding of various support groups would serve to greatly improve staff efficiencies.
Pros
Easy going, slow paced culture. People are mostly nice and fun with a mixture of experiences
Cons
Reluctance to transition from legacy systems
Employee (Current Employee) –  LrAFB, ARMarch 23, 2016
Honestly, I love the customers. Having the opportunity to connect and serve those who serve for me is an honor. The problem comes with unnecessary drama perpetuated by prejudice and stereotypes. The dramatic individuals overpower the honest hardworking ones. They will tear you down to build them selves up, and it's exasperated by individuals who instead of standing up for what is right, would rather take the easy way out. Instead of rebuilding the culture and doing the hard work, get rid of the people that want to do the right thing. I considered myself to have thick skin but these individuals broke me. It's hard having faith in a company that doesn't stand up for its employees. You'd think they would at least attempt to build a better environment for our client base rather than side with people who tear it down.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Some Coworkers (not all), favoritism
This is the worst job i had
stocker (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 16, 2015
Coming from the oil field because of lay offs, had to get a job, and this was just that, A JOB! Not for adults, pay is so bad no overtime so your pay check is almost 390 EVERY TWO WEEKS!! JUST GETTING THERE, YOU PAY FOR GAS, SO TAKE THAT OUT OF YOUR TWO WEEK CHECK, SO WHO IS WORKING FOR WHO. Then they try to work you like a dog. Management is bad. And I and other employees where told, "If we are on a break, they can come and get us off that break to work anytime they want." The job is not worth the gas money. You can make more giving plasma monthly. YOU WILL SEE!
Pros
nothing
Cons
short short short breaks and lunch
Popeyes
Food service worker/forman (Current Employee) –  FWWJanuary 26, 2016
A day at my job is for the most part great, I have grown to love my customers and take pride knowing that I can provide them with great service and a smile every time i see them.
I have learned a lot about military life and the families that move from place to place.
The management needs serious work, i feel there is never a time in management to have favoritism. I truly believe in honesty hard work and a equal opportunity for everyone.
I had such an awesome crew who i still talk to outside of work, They too take pride in there work.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with unfairness.
What i enjoy most about my job was the customers for me it will always be my customers.
Pros
discount lunches
Cons
poor management, favoritism, dont value good employees
Steady if you can get regualr part-time
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Luke AFB, AZSeptember 14, 2015
Its a great part-time job if you can get the right positions. Management can be a hassle to deal with if you. As long as you do your job, it's easy to work for this company.
Pros
Government Benefits if part-time
Cons
Hours can be chaotic at times