Army & Airforce Exchange Service

Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews in United States

It's not all it's cracked up to be
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLMay 11, 2016
There's too much drama and people do not know how to treat one another with respect.The ones that have worked there for over 10 years feel as though because they have been there for so long that they do not have to change with the times and they can just do whatever it is that they want. It is very tiring.
Pros
meeting service members from other countries
Cons
Too many things to list but one thing is lack of respect
A multicultural work environment made working here fun.
Market Price Coordinator and Security (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMay 9, 2016
I learned a lot from this company. I was rapidly promoted through my few years working here and they really take good care of their employees. It was fun to go to work and enjoyable.
Pros
Great benifits and rapid promotions
Cons
Management (at the time) needed to work together more.
Personnel Craftsman
Housing Express Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dover AFB, DEMay 9, 2016
Provide stats, work with staff on providing outstanding customer service, completed payroll, made monthly schedules, approved vacation leave, completed reset for merchandise as required
Pros
Working with the military
work focused
General Warehouse Worker/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2016
Come in get your work done. Management wasn't great. Learned to be an independent worker with minimal supervision. hard work that was done.
Fun Workplace
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAApril 26, 2016
This was also a fun and enjoyable job I worked at. I loved to come in everyday and take care of the customers and their needs.
work ethics was good
Material Handler II/Maintenance/draftsman (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 21, 2016
Working for AAFES was a great experience. The benefits were really good and the Management got down and worked with you picking or loading merchandise. Job security was the best
Pros
picnics
Great for temp job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  VAApril 18, 2016
Does not work with you. Schedules are what they need not work life. Managers try but the visits are all the time and they are worn out.
ok
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VA 22060April 14, 2016
it was a job, bad money and too much work, so overall no do not work for them, bad money and bad leader ship, so please don't work for them, ugh this is getting very old omg please please please omg please stop this stuff
Fulfilling job working with the military and their families
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Little Rock AFB, ARApril 12, 2016
As a Visual Merchandiser I implemented and maintained daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and seasonal corporate standards outside and inside 28 facilities. I created advertisement material for events and promotions. I learned to abide by strict logo guidelines. I set up event displays, seasonal displays, and staff events as well as photographing the events. I learned time management as my department was downsized from two individuals to one. The most challenging part of my duties was working with multiple facility managers plus the Marketing department to create unified material while staying within standard guidelines. As I continued in the position I was tasked with managing a corporate expense account and ordering fixtures and materials for the facilities. I learned to divide a single material charge among multiple facilities, how to track materials use over multiple facilities and to work within budget. After giving my notice I was tasked with training my replacement.
Pros
Self paced work with clear deadlines
Cons
Increase in work as staff was reduced
nothing amazing
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 29, 2016
They work around your schedule, the job is easy. Short staffing issues is a negative. other than that its a good job for student or someone who just wants part time work. It is difficult to find a full time position with the company.
Employee (Current Employee) –  LrAFB, ARMarch 23, 2016
Honestly, I love the customers. Having the opportunity to connect and serve those who serve for me is an honor. The problem comes with unnecessary drama perpetuated by prejudice and stereotypes. The dramatic individuals overpower the honest hardworking ones. They will tear you down to build them selves up, and it's exasperated by individuals who instead of standing up for what is right, would rather take the easy way out. Instead of rebuilding the culture and doing the hard work, get rid of the people that want to do the right thing. I considered myself to have thick skin but these individuals broke me. It's hard having faith in a company that doesn't stand up for its employees. You'd think they would at least attempt to build a better environment for our client base rather than side with people who tear it down.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Some Coworkers (not all), favoritism
Not a friendly environment
Former manager (Former Employee) –  SCMarch 22, 2016
Supervisory and Management positions are not the best choice. They will work you like there's no tommorow and pay you garbage money. Not to mention you will be micro managed and treated like a two year old. Not a company I would recommend.
Pros
Cons
Micro-managers, long hours, not good pay for the work you have to do.
havinf fun and helpfull desk manager
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Dix, NJMarch 20, 2016
i like my cpmpany where i work, having good knowledge and skills to interact with customers, they give me all the life benefits which i needs, they are always redy to help me.
Pros
holidays celerations, retirement celerations
Cons
lunch breaks, short breaks
All up to you
Social Media Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 16, 2016
Working at the Exchange is interesting; its all about who you can partner with. Large number of employees. Success or failure is definitely an individual effort.
Abel to work with different cultures, people of different personalities.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Shafter, HIMarch 10, 2016
Typical day making sure register is good at end of shift and keeping area fully stocked and making sure area was also clean. Able to work with co workers fine. Hardest thing is leaving the end of the day without getting all your task done which was very rare but still bothered me
Pros
Being able to have conversation with different culture of people
Cons
Working with irate customers
Great way of learning ways to work with different cultures
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Shafter, HIMarch 10, 2016
Enjoy Conversations with customers and employees. Learning something new everyday and willing to learn as long as they are patient enough to teach. Hardest thing is dealing with an irate customer who wont listen to reason.
Pros
great team work
Cons
take too long to become part timer or full timer
I really enjoyed my Job as an Accounting Associate
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GAMarch 10, 2016
Had a great experience with this store. Most people at this store were very nice and willing to go the extra mile. The supervisors and managers were very willing to listen to your opinions.
Not recommended for older workers
Warehouse laborer (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, N.Y. Main ExchangeMarch 10, 2016
Good place to work 5 years ago. 2010 thru 2015. Once management turnover began it was sheer bedlam. They brought in people that had no management skills. Promoted the same. Your chance of moving up in the organization is who you know and who your friends are in supervision.
Co workers were the best, New hires would rely on the older employees. The harmony was great.
Hardest part of job was leaving after 5 years of employment. I will always miss the co workers. When I left there was not even any intention by management in trying to retain me. No interest as to why I was leaving., even though I was never written up for anything.
Enjoyable part was being employee of the month. Also the commendations of my immediate foreman.
Pros
The parties for people that were leaving.
Cons
No health care, no benefits for intermittents
Avoid it unlees you are desperate for a job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cannon AFB, NMMarch 3, 2016
This is my second unfortunate time I have worked for affees.I thought because it was a different location,things would be better.Nope, and it continues to get worse.The longer I am here the more I am seeing.Coruption,bad management,and favoritism.Very little hours,pathetic pay,and very little chance of advancement.Management does nothing to fix problems,and it amazes me that some people still have their jobs.Lazy employees that are only there for a paycheck make it difficult for the hardworkers.I know that's at any job,but having experience working in a lot of other places,affees is the worst.The only reason I haven't left is because there aren't many jobs around here.As soon as I find something better,I am gone.However,I am still grateful to have this job even though it sucks lol
Pros
Serving the military
Cons
Dont get me started
Think hard before taking the job
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAFebruary 29, 2016
I is an okay starter job but if you have bills and a family to support then this might not be a good choice for you. Don't pay that well at all.
Pros
You can Travel around the world
Cons
Pay is kind of bad