Army & Airforce Exchange Service

Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews

Plenty of room for advancement
Computer Operator I (Current Employee) –  Join Base Elmendorf-Richardson, AlaskaFebruary 15, 2017
I started out as a senior store associate and in three short years worked my way into a management position. AAFES is a family friendly company serving the best customers in the world - our Army and Air Force service members and their families. As the spouse of a retired Army Paratrooper, the Exchange has been an essential part of our lives. With my current position, I'm the payroll administer for the main Exchange - a typical day at work is mostly working at my desk reviewing each associate's time cards through Kronos. I love that my management team allows me to put my family first.
Pros
Benefit package, paid time off, sick leave
fast paced food court job
Government service worker (Former Employee) –  Patrick Afb, FLJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day working for AAFES starts out opening the restaurant and consists of working hard as a fast food worker.
I learned the basics of the food industry at this job.
The management was not too bad but they make sure you follow the rules given that we were on a military base.
My co-workers were friendly enough.
The hardest part of the job was the hard work.
The most enjoyable part was the free food.
Pros
free food
Cons
low hours low pay
Waste of time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJanuary 3, 2017
Messy environment meaning gossiping and fake management! never work with your schedule. if you make them mad they cut your hours or put you on the worst shifts that can't work. the pay is terrible , so if you have bills , look elsewhere. They score you low on your PER, so that you don't get a raise. Human resources is just as bad as management, just look else where or try MWR!
Pros
Meeting a lot of military friends
Cons
short breaks, low pay, terrible management
Great company and great associates to work with. Job security is one of the best as a company.
stockroom foreman (Current Employee) –  Lackland AFB, TXJanuary 10, 2017
I am a stockroom foreman and I oversee a 40+ staff such as laborers, stockers, receivers, logistic clerks, rtv clerks, and ecommerce. I love going to work because everyday is an opportunity to learn something new. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the sensitivity of employee issues and taking the right precaution and procedures into dealing with these issues. The best part of my job is when I can teach someone something new or learn something new from my associates and co-workers. The people are great, the environment is great. The job security is the by far the best when it comes to civilian jobs.
Pros
job security, carreer advancement
Cons
carreer advancement can take time
Retail environment which serves the military community.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 16, 2016
Best thing about the job really was the fact that you are serving only military members, retirees and their dependents which can give you a sense of pride. Great, close-knit group of coworkers. Some members of the management team were great, others could be difficult. Like anywhere else I guess. The pay was a little below par.
Pros
As an employee you can shop in the store. Great coworkers.
Cons
Low pay, not enough hours.
It is a great job, learned a lot and trained people. Learned a lot about management. Enjoy working with different people and their culture.
Food Activity Foreman (Former Employee) –  Misawa Air Force Base in JapanJanuary 15, 2017
It is a great company. They have fairness with the employees. Great people to work with. They trained people good. Part time employees have a benefits too.
Pros
discount 50% lunch meal
Cons
One hour lunch break, 15 minutes breaks, health care and more benefits
Pay not commensurate with experience, shady management.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJanuary 11, 2017
If you want to make less than your peers off post and have wishy washy management, have I got a career for you!

Your leaders will constantly change, you will have zero potential for advancement, and they will find a way to back out of earned pay raises!
Pros
Hour flexibility
Cons
Low wages, constant leadership changes, failure to promote from within.
Not an ideal company for a career
Executive Safety & Security Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Yigo, GUNovember 21, 2016
My supervisor was very strict and by-the-book, yet compassionate and supportive of staff, believed in leading by example, and was accommodating when it came to scheduling around unplanned life events. If more managers were like her, the company would be leaps and bounds above what it is now. Many managers in this company are not this way, and do not appreciate their employees, lack integrity, and/or play politics in the workplace in order to advance their personal careers, sometimes throwing individuals (who have done no wrong) "under the bus" in the process.
Pros
Commute, Supportive Direct supervisor
Cons
Low Pay, "Every one for herself/himself"
International and Inclusive
Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee) –  McChord AFB, WADecember 3, 2016
This is the company you never heard of. The Army & Air Force Exchange is the primary retail provider for two of the primary armed forces in the United States. The company is global; the motto is 'We go where you go." Anywhere the soldiers are so is the Exchange. I found this to be a company that you can be proud of, especially if you want to show your appreciation to our armed forces.

Many people in this organization start at the bottom and work their way up into middle management in only a few years whether you start in food services, maintenance, floor sales, etc.

In house training is provided by Corporate University which can provide training that can be transferred to other business' should you ever leave.
Pros
Excellent benefits, global, chance for bonus pay.
Cons
Most entry level is regular part time.
Awful leadership
Foreman (Former Employee) –  West Point, NYOctober 24, 2016
I assumed that something as prestigious as west point would have something that is run somewhat efficient but I was completely wrong. Management is awful even chasing people into the bathroom to yell at them and falsifying records to show sales to which I told the gm and was told mind my business. I was then threatened to be terminated because it wasn't working out lol. I never knew that my middle school break up would happen again because I tried to do the right thing in a sea full of wrong.
Pros
Coworkers were cool, customers are very polite
Cons
Short or no breaks, too many managers not enough workers
Terrible low paying high school atmosphere of a job
Outdoor Rec Associate (Former Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLOctober 22, 2016
Horrible place to work. No opportunity to advance, favoritism, discrimination, inept management, and underwhelming benefits.

The military spousal preference also makes it extremely difficult to even get a job here if your not a military spouse.

Poor training programs, archaic inventory and computer systems, and extreme workloads per number of personnel make even Walmart seem like a viable job option. Only apply if truly desperate for work.
Pros
Supporting MRW programs
Cons
Everything else
A place where everyone looking to rule the marketing feild
Senior Digital Designer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 3, 2017
I'm a creative! Marketing in every area. I wear tons of hats after I take off my fedora.I am the go to person in the office and the studio. The only thing I haven't done was deliver a child. Maybe that will be next. Let me grab my catchers mitt.
Pros
Being creative
Cons
Being too creative
Shift Assistant
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 29, 2016
When I went to the interview and seen how it wasn't carried out on a normal standard, should have been a red flag for me. The manager let me know she wanted me to replace her because she was ready to retire due to her manager. The job wasn't hard at all but there was no real leadership. I wanted to learn quickly and perform at my highest level, which is difficult when the manager was hardly ever there. A co-worker ended up teaching me a lot and she was just as new as me.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
It became stressful to work and to see how demotivated the manager was daily.
overall it was a nice to place to work and with good job security
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Riley North, KSJanuary 26, 2017
I enjoy most of my work with AAFES in 34 years I work for the company. My last 10 years with the company was very stress full for me. when I work in a small store I was at my best.. the Main Exchange was to much for me to keep up with my duties.
Nice environment to work
Teller/Cashier (Retail Office) (Former Employee) –  George AFB, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Learned to do financial work,increased my typing wpm, and helped customer for their NSF. Working multi task was enjoyable. Helped customer cashing their paycheck and money order. Great opportunity to served the military personnel and their families.
Constant moving, simple task, quiet workplace
Laborer/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VASeptember 9, 2016
The shift length for my current position ranges from 5-8 hours. Go in at midnight when there's a truck to offload; 5 am when there isn't one. Truckloads tend to be large so the work makes time go by fast. Teaches you to work cooperatively with a team however not all coworkers always see eye to eye.
Pros
Great benefits, Early in the morning
Cons
Not enough hours, Only Part-time available for my position
Productive and fun workplace.
Loss Prevention Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 17, 2017
Have been employed with AAFES 6+ years and is an amazing company with a lot of opportunities. Management is superb. A typical day is never the same so you will never feel like you're stuck doing the same thing day in a day out.
Busy work for spouses and children
Fast Food Worker (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WADecember 9, 2016
This company provides military Spouses busy work and their children a first job. Their "wonderful" position of Intermitten is a glorified permanent seasonal worker. I work at a store where not even management are listed PT-FT.
Its an honor to serve the men & women in the US Army on a daily badis.
Automotive / Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ft. Campbell, KYAugust 16, 2016
This was a great place to work if you have a heart for the soldiers, it is very demanding of your time if your a management team member. Often told to complete tasks on your day off, or after hours, it's a very diverse place to work, get to meet people from all over the world. If your spouse gets orders to move, there's usually always a place for you to transfer to with in the AAFES community.
Pros
world wide opportunity
Cons
highly demanding of time if in mgmt position, paid on salary often worked 65 hour weeks
It was an honor to serve my countryman.
Services and Vending Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJanuary 26, 2017
The Army Air Force Exchange Service is a retail outlet provided for our countries Military Families and Servicemen. It was an honor to be of service to them for all they do for our country.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army & Airforce Exchange Service. Our community is ready to answer.

Army & Airforce Exchange Service Reviews by Location