Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews

Waste of time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJanuary 3, 2017
Messy environment meaning gossiping and fake management! never work with your schedule. if you make them mad they cut your hours or put you on the worst shifts that can't work. the pay is terrible , so if you have bills , look elsewhere. They score you low on your PER, so that you don't get a raise. Human resources is just as bad as management, just look else where or try MWR!
Pros
Meeting a lot of military friends
Cons
short breaks, low pay, terrible management
International and Inclusive
Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee) –  McChord AFB, WADecember 3, 2016
This is the company you never heard of. The Army & Air Force Exchange is the primary retail provider for two of the primary armed forces in the United States. The company is global; the motto is 'We go where you go." Anywhere the soldiers are so is the Exchange. I found this to be a company that you can be proud of, especially if you want to show your appreciation to our armed forces.

Many people in this organization start at the bottom and work their way up into middle management in only a few years whether you start in food services, maintenance, floor sales, etc.

In house training is provided by Corporate University which can provide training that can be transferred to other business' should you ever leave.
Pros
Excellent benefits, global, chance for bonus pay.
Cons
Most entry level is regular part time.
Not an ideal company for a career
Executive Safety & Security Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Yigo, GUNovember 21, 2016
My supervisor was very strict and by-the-book, yet compassionate and supportive of staff, believed in leading by example, and was accommodating when it came to scheduling around unplanned life events. If more managers were like her, the company would be leaps and bounds above what it is now. Many managers in this company are not this way, and do not appreciate their employees, lack integrity, and/or play politics in the workplace in order to advance their personal careers, sometimes throwing individuals (who have done no wrong) "under the bus" in the process.
Pros
Commute, Supportive Direct supervisor
Cons
Low Pay, "Every one for herself/himself"
Pay not commensurate with experience, shady management.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJanuary 11, 2017
If you want to make less than your peers off post and have wishy washy management, have I got a career for you!

Your leaders will constantly change, you will have zero potential for advancement, and they will find a way to back out of earned pay raises!
Pros
Hour flexibility
Cons
Low wages, constant leadership changes, failure to promote from within.
Terrible low paying high school atmosphere of a job
Outdoor Rec Associate (Former Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLOctober 22, 2016
Horrible place to work. No opportunity to advance, favoritism, discrimination, inept management, and underwhelming benefits.

The military spousal preference also makes it extremely difficult to even get a job here if your not a military spouse.

Poor training programs, archaic inventory and computer systems, and extreme workloads per number of personnel make even Walmart seem like a viable job option. Only apply if truly desperate for work.
Pros
Supporting MRW programs
Cons
Everything else
A great place to work for, a struggle for advancement.
Return Authorization Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXJuly 19, 2016
I have learned that under certain circumstances some management involvement is needed for advancement. Management is based at times dealing with politics, then build on merits. The hardest part of the job is dealing with other associates delegations, and shortage in training to certain employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to learn different jobs within the company.
Its an honor to serve the men & women in the US Army on a daily badis.
Automotive / Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ft. Campbell, KYAugust 16, 2016
This was a great place to work if you have a heart for the soldiers, it is very demanding of your time if your a management team member. Often told to complete tasks on your day off, or after hours, it's a very diverse place to work, get to meet people from all over the world. If your spouse gets orders to move, there's usually always a place for you to transfer to with in the AAFES community.
Pros
world wide opportunity
Cons
highly demanding of time if in mgmt position, paid on salary often worked 65 hour weeks
Great company and great associates to work with. Job security is one of the best as a company.
stockroom foreman (Current Employee) –  Lackland AFB, TXJanuary 10, 2017
I am a stockroom foreman and I oversee a 40+ staff such as laborers, stockers, receivers, logistic clerks, rtv clerks, and ecommerce. I love going to work because everyday is an opportunity to learn something new. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the sensitivity of employee issues and taking the right precaution and procedures into dealing with these issues. The best part of my job is when I can teach someone something new or learn something new from my associates and co-workers. The people are great, the environment is great. The job security is the by far the best when it comes to civilian jobs.
Pros
job security, carreer advancement
Cons
carreer advancement can take time
Fun Workplace
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VADecember 7, 2016
Overall, it was a fun atmosphere. I learned a lot about the restaurant business. Very easy to progress if management likes and supports you. I really enjoyed working for AAFES and it was a great place to start off my career.
Outstanding Place to work
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GANovember 9, 2016
Great co-works and management. The room for advancement, flexibility of schedules fits right in for military families. Great place to work!
Pros
Awesome co-works and management
Productive Workplace
Warehouse Worker - Receiver (Current Employee) –  Fort Buchanan, PRSeptember 6, 2016
Learned to operate the forklift, to receive and input to system.
Management do not see the potential on employees and does that do not work at all.
The most enjoyable part of the job is really few supervision.
Pros
Regular PT have benefits
Cons
Short breaks, company does not provide % for 401K
Awful leadership
Foreman (Former Employee) –  West Point, NYOctober 24, 2016
I assumed that something as prestigious as west point would have something that is run somewhat efficient but I was completely wrong. Management is awful even chasing people into the bathroom to yell at them and falsifying records to show sales to which I told the gm and was told mind my business. I was then threatened to be terminated because it wasn't working out lol. I never knew that my middle school break up would happen again because I tried to do the right thing in a sea full of wrong.
Pros
Coworkers were cool, customers are very polite
Cons
Short or no breaks, too many managers not enough workers
fast paced food court job
Government service worker (Former Employee) –  Patrick Afb, FLJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day working for AAFES starts out opening the restaurant and consists of working hard as a fast food worker.
I learned the basics of the food industry at this job.
The management was not too bad but they make sure you follow the rules given that we were on a military base.
My co-workers were friendly enough.
The hardest part of the job was the hard work.
The most enjoyable part was the free food.
Pros
free food
Cons
low hours low pay
A multicultural work environment made working here fun.
Market Price Coordinator and Security (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMay 9, 2016
I learned a lot from this company. I was rapidly promoted through my few years working here and they really take good care of their employees. It was fun to go to work and enjoyable.
Pros
Great benifits and rapid promotions
Cons
Management (at the time) needed to work together more.
Retail environment which serves the military community.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 16, 2016
Best thing about the job really was the fact that you are serving only military members, retirees and their dependents which can give you a sense of pride. Great, close-knit group of coworkers. Some members of the management team were great, others could be difficult. Like anywhere else I guess. The pay was a little below par.
Pros
As an employee you can shop in the store. Great coworkers.
Cons
Low pay, not enough hours.
Easy work with great pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXAugust 31, 2016
Incredibly great atmosphere, ensures promotions and there is never a dull day at work. Hours aren't ridiculously long and adequately given among all employees.
Pros
easy work non supervisory
Cons
management communication
Constant moving, simple task, quiet workplace
Laborer/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VASeptember 9, 2016
The shift length for my current position ranges from 5-8 hours. Go in at midnight when there's a truck to offload; 5 am when there isn't one. Truckloads tend to be large so the work makes time go by fast. Teaches you to work cooperatively with a team however not all coworkers always see eye to eye.
Pros
Great benefits, Early in the morning
Cons
Not enough hours, Only Part-time available for my position
It is a great job, learned a lot and trained people. Learned a lot about management. Enjoy working with different people and their culture.
Food Activity Foreman (Former Employee) –  Misawa Air Force Base in JapanJanuary 15, 2017
It is a great company. They have fairness with the employees. Great people to work with. They trained people good. Part time employees have a benefits too.
Pros
discount 50% lunch meal
Cons
One hour lunch break, 15 minutes breaks, health care and more benefits
Everyday is drama and more drama
Service Business Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJuly 15, 2016
I would say this. If you like a job that keeps you busy, but do not enhance your skills, then working for AAFES is for you. It would take a lot of slacking and no performance in order for you to get fired. Promotion only comes from knowing the right manager. The worst part is no one is allowed to complain or file a complaint. If you want results for any issues, you have to teach yourself, or learn from your mistakes. There is no 'formal' training. You will spend most of your time repairing others mess that was left behind before you.

You have to know someone to get a part-time or a full-time job.All positions offered are intermittent. If Sales are not met, they cut your hours because it "affects the bottom line'. if they like you, you get more hours,if not they cut hours. The longer you are there, the more you can get away with.
Pros
take vacations, meeting customers and serving the Military members
Cons
no breaks, so many Department of Labor violations
Not recommended for older workers
Warehouse laborer (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, N.Y. Main ExchangeMarch 10, 2016
Good place to work 5 years ago. 2010 thru 2015. Once management turnover began it was sheer bedlam. They brought in people that had no management skills. Promoted the same. Your chance of moving up in the organization is who you know and who your friends are in supervision.
Co workers were the best, New hires would rely on the older employees. The harmony was great.
Hardest part of job was leaving after 5 years of employment. I will always miss the co workers. When I left there was not even any intention by management in trying to retain me. No interest as to why I was leaving., even though I was never written up for anything.
Enjoyable part was being employee of the month. Also the commendations of my immediate foreman.
Pros
The parties for people that were leaving.
Cons
No health care, no benefits for intermittents

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army & Airforce Exchange Service. Our community is ready to answer.