Army & Airforce Exchange Service

Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews in United States

This is the worst job i had
stocker (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 16, 2015
Coming from the oil field because of lay offs, had to get a job, and this was just that, A JOB! Not for adults, pay is so bad no overtime so your pay check is almost 390 EVERY TWO WEEKS!! JUST GETTING THERE, YOU PAY FOR GAS, SO TAKE THAT OUT OF YOUR TWO WEEK CHECK, SO WHO IS WORKING FOR WHO. Then they try to work you like a dog. Management is bad. And I and other employees where told, "If we are on a break, they can come and get us off that break to work anytime they want." The job is not worth the gas money. You can make more giving plasma monthly. YOU WILL SEE!
Pros
nothing
Cons
short short short breaks and lunch
Steady if you can get regualr part-time
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Luke AFB, AZSeptember 14, 2015
Its a great part-time job if you can get the right positions. Management can be a hassle to deal with if you. As long as you do your job, it's easy to work for this company.
Pros
Government Benefits if part-time
Cons
Hours can be chaotic at times
Support our future leader
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen Proving Ground, MDJune 22, 2016
A typical day at work is quiet, I've learned to just say yes.
Management is ok as I just feel upper management should
get to know her people better. The co-worker are okay it's jus t
the one that have been in a position for year are treated differently.
The hardest part of the job making sure your you can satisfy all ranks.The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to the young soldier and encouraging them to be successful. It's a joy to work with our future leader of the United States.
Pros
Helping our soldiers
Cons
not enough pay
A great place to work for, a struggle for advancement.
Return Authorization Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXJuly 19, 2016
I have learned that under certain circumstances some management involvement is needed for advancement. Management is based at times dealing with politics, then build on merits. The hardest part of the job is dealing with other associates delegations, and shortage in training to certain employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to learn different jobs within the company.
Fulfilling job working with the military and their families
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Little Rock AFB, ARApril 12, 2016
As a Visual Merchandiser I implemented and maintained daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and seasonal corporate standards outside and inside 28 facilities. I created advertisement material for events and promotions. I learned to abide by strict logo guidelines. I set up event displays, seasonal displays, and staff events as well as photographing the events. I learned time management as my department was downsized from two individuals to one. The most challenging part of my duties was working with multiple facility managers plus the Marketing department to create unified material while staying within standard guidelines. As I continued in the position I was tasked with managing a corporate expense account and ordering fixtures and materials for the facilities. I learned to divide a single material charge among multiple facilities, how to track materials use over multiple facilities and to work within budget. After giving my notice I was tasked with training my replacement.
Pros
Self paced work with clear deadlines
Cons
Increase in work as staff was reduced
Abel to work with different cultures, people of different personalities.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Shafter, HIMarch 10, 2016
Typical day making sure register is good at end of shift and keeping area fully stocked and making sure area was also clean. Able to work with co workers fine. Hardest thing is leaving the end of the day without getting all your task done which was very rare but still bothered me
Pros
Being able to have conversation with different culture of people
Cons
Working with irate customers
It's not all it's cracked up to be
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLMay 11, 2016
There's too much drama and people do not know how to treat one another with respect.The ones that have worked there for over 10 years feel as though because they have been there for so long that they do not have to change with the times and they can just do whatever it is that they want. It is very tiring.
Pros
meeting service members from other countries
Cons
Too many things to list but one thing is lack of respect
physical job, keeps you in shape
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 29, 2015
Very physical job, load and unload trucks.
keeps you in shape. Checking in merchandise.
Management expects a lot, but would allow some down time for pot luck lunches with other employee's. Good work experience.
Pros
Lots of exercise to keep in shape.
Cons
no benefits for temporary employees.
Good Work Environment, Flexible Hours
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MacDill AFB, FLNovember 9, 2015
A very positive organization with a great customer base. Very understanding managers who appreciate hard work Lots of independence is afforded to employees if they act proactively. Advancement is a very slow process as there are many people with decades of seniority applying for the same positions as you.
Pros
flexible hours, good management, friendly atmosphere
Cons
pay, slow advancement
A multicultural work environment made working here fun.
Market Price Coordinator and Security (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMay 9, 2016
I learned a lot from this company. I was rapidly promoted through my few years working here and they really take good care of their employees. It was fun to go to work and enjoyable.
Pros
Great benifits and rapid promotions
Cons
Management (at the time) needed to work together more.
Productive and Fun place to work for.
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJuly 20, 2016
My days usually start off very smooth until the store opens then I answer the phones all day aside from filing, faxing and doing my daily reports it can get crazy fast. For the most part I love working for them. Its like we are all one big family.
Pros
breaks, healthcare
Cons
even work sundays.
Productive and Good work place
Assistant Manager/Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Minot AFB, NDJanuary 29, 2016
* Busy work place very hectic
*Handling the whole store
*Good Management
*Very hard worker's
*When you don't have enough people but you do what you can till closing.
*Everyone is having fun working hard
Pros
50% discount on your meals on lunch break
Cons
COLA
Think hard before taking the job
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAFebruary 29, 2016
I is an okay starter job but if you have bills and a family to support then this might not be a good choice for you. Don't pay that well at all.
Pros
You can Travel around the world
Cons
Pay is kind of bad
The best workplace ever!
Multi-unit General Manager (Former Employee) –  Andrews AFB, MDMarch 26, 2015
As a intermittent non exempt manager for over 15 years.
AAFES has been a great place to work, of course every duty station assigned ( PCS 14 times in 15 Years) has it's challenges at a local level and dealing with adjustments in senior mgmt. But the single common factor of supporting our troops made it worth it.
Been able to travel all over the world also is a benefit.
Demanding: very. Rewarding: very
Life events, demanded separation from AAFES but the memories and people I had the honor and pleasure to meet and work are priceless
Pros
Travel, compensation, benefit
AAFES Starbucks, Ft Sam Houston
Starbucks, Barista, March (Former Employee) –  Fort Sam Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2016
Demonstrated excellence in hospitality while utilizing invaluable interpersonal communication skills.
Effectively worked as a team player in a sometimes hectic environment. Managed time efficiently, while preparing product to the standards and quality of recipes. Maintain and clean equipment, tools, supplies and storage to ensure compliance with safety regulations.

Friendly environment where we got to know our customers by name. Life long friendships with co-workers
Overall ok place to work
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 3, 2016
I have learned a lot at AAFES but do not recommend work at this location due to management. Most time my co workers were great to work with but everyone talks about everyone behind eachothers backs no matter how close you think you are with someone.
Great way of learning ways to work with different cultures
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Shafter, HIMarch 10, 2016
Enjoy Conversations with customers and employees. Learning something new everyday and willing to learn as long as they are patient enough to teach. Hardest thing is dealing with an irate customer who wont listen to reason.
Pros
great team work
Cons
take too long to become part timer or full timer
Personnel Craftsman
Housing Express Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dover AFB, DEMay 9, 2016
Provide stats, work with staff on providing outstanding customer service, completed payroll, made monthly schedules, approved vacation leave, completed reset for merchandise as required
Pros
Working with the military
It was just ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  BelgiumJuly 9, 2015
Not a terrbile job, but one that somewhat sucked. Bad pay, most people on base dont like the company and take it out on you. Benefits are useless to most employees who already have free coverage from tricare.
Work While Giving Back to the Military and Their Families
Business Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 7, 2015
The typical day of work varies depending on your position, the time of year, whether you work in the field, or whether you work in the HQ located in Dallas. The main goal for every employee is to support our military and their families worldwide whether you work in one of 12 distribution centers located throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia, or whether you work in the Telecom Division rolling out leading edge high speed broadband services to military installations, whether you are a buyer or planner in HQ, or whether you work in one of the hundreds of retail facilities located on the military installations. I felt a sense of family with my co-workers and have built lasting relationships with each assignment or division that I worked in. As with any job, the most difficult parts usually involved major software systems changes and scaling back costs. I've enjoyed my career with AAFES, and have a sense of special appreciation as the daughter of an Army Veteran and having served on active duty in the Air Force. I've basically been surrounded by and/or affiliated with the military all of my life.
Pros
supporting the military and good benefits

Army & Airforce Exchange Service Reviews by Location