ARMY & AIRFORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE

ARMY & AIRFORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE Employer Reviews

A learning experience
CUSTOMER SERVICE CLERK/FRONTCHECKOUT CASHIER (Former Employee), Fort Stewart, GAJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: serving our active duty military members, their families and military retirees.
Cons: at that time 4.65 a hr. that was probably minimum wage, or close to back then.
Working at the Army and Air force Exchange Services, was the beginning of my experience in retail. I learned how to operate adding machines, registers and helping military personnel and their family members to find all of their retail needs.

When I began my employment there, I was a receptionist in the Exchange office. I also had an opportunity to – more... work in the Customer Service and the Front Line Checkout as a cashier.

My co-workers were very courteous and nice to work with. I have a letter of referral from the Main Manager at AAFES at that time, that stated I got along well with all my co-workers.

Also when I left the area to move to Virginia to go to school and live. I was told after I left customers were asking about me and where I was. I was nice to all my customer's. Those that had some problems that needed to be addressed by supervisors or management. I liked talking with them to let them know we care about what you are concerned about and help them with their purchasing needs.

I enjoyed working for our military members when they came in to the facility. And at times had to face the difficult situation of going overseas to war. Leaving their families behind to do the job they came in to do, in protecting our country. I am glad to have that opportunity with helping and working with them and their love ones. – less
A job with no guidance and expectations made clear, yet those expectations were never met.
Hardlines Team Member (Former Employee), Vandenberg AFB, CAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: meeting many new people, due to working on a military base
Cons: barely any hours, scheduling issues, miscommunication or no communication, no room for advancement
A typical work day would be to go in, either cover another employee's break or open the store. No matter how much work was accomplished or what sales or made or what was achieved during the day, management was never happy. Many employees stressed about the job, due to the fact no matter what they accomplished no reward was given and more stress was – more... placed on the employees as a whole. Management was never willing to talk about issues at hand, and if talking to them did manage to happen, promises of solving the issues brought up would be made, but with no results. When asking for time off most of the time it wasn't approved despite asking a month or two months in advance. Calling out sick was nerve racking because they would always doubt your illness, even despite bringing in a doctor's note. The only enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers, which management did not like talking to customer's for too long, even if it was about them purchasing a product or making a huge sale. Management set no specific tasks to be done throughout the day, yet they would expect employees to know that a certain item or shelf needed to be moved or reorganized. The job wasn't one where you could be a self-sufficent worker; trying to move a self or fixture on your own usually resulted in having to move it back and being scolded by management for acting on your own. This would be okay, if they didn't expect you to be a self-sufficent worker. AAFES as a whole isn't necessarily a frustrating company, but of the many facilities in my local area I worked, they were too many negatives to even begin looking at the positives. – less
Good place to start out
Food Facility Foreman (Former Employee), Eglin AFB, FLJanuary 10, 2014
I am glad I got to work with AAFES for 6+ years, they have provided me with experience that I will use for the rest of my life.
Worst work experience in my life
Sales Area Manager (Former Employee), Fort Huachuca, AZJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: none!
Cons: everything!
I was in my early 30's, having spent 8 years active duty in the military before taking this job so this was by no means my first rodeo. I was hired as a management trainee, and sent to three months of training before going on to my store along with another trainee. The work environment was horrific, senior management sniping at the employees, at each – more... other completely unprofessional. Both of us (me and the other trainee) were forced to work 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week for 5 months straight. I had signed a contract when they relocated me that stated if I quit within one year of the move I would have to pay back the cost of my relocation so I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I was laid off, along with the other trainee, one week prior to the end our probationary period. We were told that the decision was non-punitive and that we were eligible for re-hire. Unfortunately, we were left high and dry after they moved us to a different state and had to make our own way back to our respective homes. The lay-off was a blessing because had it not happened I would have been forced to work there three more months before I could quit!

I gave them one star only because it wouldn't let me go lower!

Beware! – less
wonderful work place
Stocker/ Laborer (Former Employee), Wichita, KSJanuary 7, 2014
I have learn a lot by stocking products for customers for being happy and coming back
Supporting Armed Forces through retail goods at reasonable prices
Sales Assistant - Operations (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: supports military members directly, good benefits for even part time employees
Cons: some merchandise would take a long time to receive due to location, short staffed for majority of year due to decline in sales
A typical day in my position would be: clock in, log in to my computer, print out the price change list, check the sales floor for items changing in price, log back in to computer to close out price change documents, finish any current project I was working on or consult with my supervisor with any additional duties.

In this position, I learned how – more... to multitask well. I also learned a lot about different departments in the store so I was able to work anywhere that needed extra assistance.

We had a complete change of management during my 3 years at this store. Most were good changes but they did eliminate a few positions due to declining sales.

My coworkers were also a complete turnover. When I was first hired we started with 8 filled vacancies and by the time I left they were down to 4 with no replacement for me. Overall, we had a good team and were able to work well together despite the consistently high turnover rate.

The hardest part of my job was the hours. Though it was a set schedule, the time difference was pretty hard to adjust to at first.

My favorite part of my job was that I was always doing something different each day. I always had work to do and it was a position where you had to be independent and self-sufficient but still able to work as a team. – less
Horrible management but amazing customers
Cashier/ Sr. Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ft. Bliss, TXJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: get to have a cac card and customers have common courtesy
Cons: no employee discounts, horrible management, & no team work.
I will never work for AAFES again and I wouldn't recommend it. Managers only care about numbers and not about the associate. Even if it was so busy and cashiers needed help, they would usually not help by getting on the registers even though they're supposed to follow Code Promise. Managers don't train new associates, they just toss them to the other – more... cashiers. People quit all the time and don't show up to work. But soldiers are polite and outgoing. That is the only thing I miss about working for AAFES. – less
Very enjoyable and great learning experience for me.
Small Electronic Clerk (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: was a great learning experience, very interesting job
Cons: not really any cons
Did all the small electronic buys for the bases in the US and abroad.
FUN PLACE TO WORK
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Fort Bliss, TXDecember 24, 2013
Pros: managers was always there when you needed them
Cons: nothing
I LEARN AT LOT OFF THING WHILE I WAS THERE. MANAGER ALWAYS HELP YOU OUT WHEN YOU NEED THEM.
Committed to serving our military
Main Store Manager - Retail (Former Employee), WorldwideDecember 22, 2013
Pros: dept of defense position
Training, mentoring, and coach team members was the highlight of the position. Service to our military communities around the world was equally as rewarding.
Good Job, Good training, Lousy Management and Advancement
several jobs: indoor, outdoor, food (Former Employee), FLDecember 11, 2013
Pros: pretty good benefits, excellent training
Cons: consistently short-staffed, no chance for full-time & retirement benefits
After working for AAFES for 2 1/2 years, I had made it to supervisor. Problem was that I had two managers that were completely cutthroat, and did everything they could to protect their bonuses, including attempting to short my hours, as well as a couple other employees' hours. HR resolved the problem, but did nothing to discipline one manager even after – more... she admitted to intentionally ripping us off face-to-face in front of the HR manager and myself ! I kept the manager from getting in trouble with the union, but she treated me so bad after the incident, that I quit. The company is great with training, and fair with pay. But if you are looking for a career, don't go here. Even as a supervisor who had gone through every single training course to become a manager, they refused to move me to full time status, let alone management. One of my employees actually retired at part-time status with over 30 years of service because they refused every request for full-time! In short, unless you can kiss a lot of butt, you'll never make it to full-time! Please note also that military spouses and their family, as well as minorities, handicapped, and people from other countries get preferential treatment when it comes job openings and placement, So, if you are a non-military white male (like me) accept the fact that you may be passed up time and time again for new opportunities. This is not intended to offend....it is the truth. AAFES even states in their policy somewhere that some of these groups get preferential hiring treatment.The very best thing about the job was the customers. They were the best customers I have EVER had the privilege to serve! – less
Will promise you the world and work you to death!
cashier (Former Employee), Hanscom Air Force Base, Bedford MADecember 8, 2013
Pros: serving military families.
Cons: low pay. too many demands in job. need to be in preferred clique.
Got hired as cashier. Had 34 job duties including bank teller role. Had to cash personal and payroll checks on regular cash out line. Sell stamps and merchandise protection plans.

Hired itterment so you get no benefits which I was told to be great. Permanent jobs given to insiders. Staff trying to be made permanent felt demoralized after not getting – more... benefits. Low pay for constant work. Should only hire people who live on base. Felt taken advantage of. This is a form of modern day slavery!

Always glad when I got my break. If you wanted to go into management like I was qualified for, very few positions listed in worldwide corporation. A bad move on my part. Left quickly as after first day knew I had made a mistake taking job. – less
laborious but fun environment
Warehouse Receiving Clerk/Inventory Control (Former Employee), Fort Lewis, WANovember 30, 2013
off loaded trucks. as a receiving clerk, checked in merchandise delivered by various distribution sources. scanned po orders and items into the ASAP program.
Assoicate
Over seas (Former Employee), WashingtionNovember 14, 2013
Pros: learning mre in the company
Cons: i have none
I would work long hours a day but with the Military Exchange there are many jobs to be learned and can change different areas in the exchange. I was a cahier, stocker, Jewelry area and much more parts. There was never a hard part of my day I served for the Military men and women so it was an honor at all times to make there serves the highest at all – more... times and that goes for all jobs. The offered training classes at all times for different areas and would take any classes I got a chance to take. – less
Proudly serving the armed forces and their families worldwide
Senior Sales Associate (Soft lines) (Current Employee), Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort WorthNovember 5, 2013
Pros: worldwide job positions
Cons: currently under reorganization
A great company to work for is you like to travel and explore new places.
Meeting people of different countries
Exchange Accounting Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Jackson, SCNovember 3, 2013
Exciting Company, you learn a lot of different aspects of a store in different countries.
5 Star
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Fort Gillem, GA and Fort McPhersonOctober 14, 2013
Pros: professional, good benefits, good staff and co-workers
Cons: closed due to brac and lack of work.
The ARMY & AIRFORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE is an excellent place to work. The staff was easy to work for and considerate to ones family needs. My co-workers were great to work with. There were no on-the-job issues.
fun to play chess
Barber (Current Employee), Kandahar airfied U.S. Military baseOctober 14, 2013
for me its was very exciting to meet a lot of people and serve them with great job that will make there daylife better,, and i am enjoy working with other nationals. and i learned about thier traditions and languages,
Good Company
Store Manager (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 13, 2013
Good Company, days are long. Management is good and supporting. CO-workers can be challenging at times. Good company overall and the mission is the greatest you can ever have,serving the Men and Women who serve our country.
Bad first time experience
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Fort Riley, KSOctober 13, 2013
Pros: good hours and pay.
Cons: bad first experience.
I was treated really bad my first day on the job, instead of training me, the supervisor put into positions where I didn't know anything and didn't help me. The supervisor yelled at me constantly and put me into a ruff position. The supervisor even pushed me a few times making me feel very uncomfortable. I went home crying and didn't want to return. – more... I resigned from the job hoping to find a better opportunity somewhere else. – less

About ARMY & AIRFORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE

Be all that you can be and buy all that you can buy at the PX (Post Exchange). The Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) – Read more

ARMY & AIRFORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE Photos