ARMY & AIRFORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE

ARMY & AIRFORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE Employer Reviews

great family
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort Hood, TXMarch 31, 2014
i learned how to work with military soldiers and there familys worked great with management
Fast paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort Riley, KSMarch 25, 2014
Pros: great co-workers and customers
Fun and fast moving work place, great customers, easy and fun place to work.
Food Service Worker
Food Service Worker Military Exchange (Former Employee), Ft Campbell, KyMarch 24, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: favoritism among the co workers, promotions are hard to come by, and there is a lot of miss-trust and communications among the employees.
It is a decent job for college students and military spouse. Overall, I would not recommend working here unless you are just looking for something to get you by with paying bills and such.
Nice stable job
Warehouse Receiver (Former Employee), McGuire AFB, NJMarch 24, 2014
Job security. Good Benefits. Excellent and helpful co-workers.
great company with a good service, but under appreciates employees
Store Associate (Current Employee), Fairchild Air Force BaseMarch 15, 2014
For any job with AAFES employees serve those who serve meaning our military. To me it is important to do my job well to help these men and women get something simple, anything from fast food to cigarettes at the gas station. There is a lot of work. There is usually less people working in AAFES stores but the same amount of work is required, management – more... styles vary, but of course standards are met and enforced. Most employees are current or ex-military spouses, members, or kids. – less
Unprofessional
Saftey and Security / LP (Former Employee), Lewis / MacchordMarch 13, 2014
Pros: 4 of my former co-workers
Cons: everything else
I would not recommend AAFES to anyone! There are some really nice people who are employed at JBLM but for the most part it is completely unprofessional and a lot like being in high school all over again. Do not expect to be involved in the safety aspect.....it says safety & security but its not. Its 95% loss prevention only. Your sole purpose is to – more... catch shop lifters and nothing else. The safety is non existent. You are not allowed to say anything in regards to safety issues only suggest, which go unheard. Example: after the holidays store associates were on a man lift during store hours , in the air with out a spotter, no coned off area and there were customers and children every where. Now I know for a fact that AAFES safety standard require a spotter and cones. They simply do not care. LP department is a cluster with only a small few who do the job well and are trustworthy. Management is unprofessional, biased and uses threatening behavior to scare subordinate's about being fired constantly. There is no confidentiality within the department. Managers speak freely about subordinate's performance with other subordinate's and everyone knows your business. Alot of back stabbing, gossiping coming from team leads and managment about eachother and managment even bad mouths their own boss to subordinates! Leads nap on company time.....Who does that?! As for the sales floor......I witnessed a lot of over worked, understaffed departments. There are some very hard working people who need their jobs and actually care about the business / customers but there were more non- caring, lazy people hiding in corners, standing around talking...pretending to work.
This is not a professional environment, nor is it an environment that you will be able to thrive and advance. You will not have any confidentiality between leads and management. You will only have yourself. So save your time and energy... The pay is low ( dont believe the job description.....they WILL NOT PAY YOU 19$ an hour like they state DOE) its unorganized, only a handful of good people to work with.....NOT WORTH your time! – less
Subway Supervisor
Subway Supervisor (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIMarch 9, 2014
Pros: fast paced
As a supervisor/asst. manager I was responsible for the entire facility's needs. I trained and kept staff up to date on product knowledge. Was in charge of all accountability of inventory and cash to include safe and bank deposits. Conducted ordering and receiving of merchandise as well as proper merchandise display.

My staff was an energetic and motivated – more... team properly trained and very customer friendly. Our goal was to be provide to the customer with the highest company standard and preparation of food and beverages in the shortest amount of time. Through accomplishment of this goal we drove sales up and increased company profits.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining a clean, safe, high pace working environment.

The most enjoyable part was having positive customer feedback. – less
productive workplace
Custodian (Former Employee), Fort Bragg, NCMarch 5, 2014
Great place to work as well as many opportunities for advancement in the company. It was great working for the service men and woman of the U.S. Army.
never again
sales (Former Employee), Eglin afbFebruary 27, 2014
Cons: several
I worked for aafes for two years.When I first got the job I was so excited.....then I started working. This has to be the greedeist company in the world.The pay is very low and so is the staff level which puts a lot of work on each person. The discipline is nothing. Lazy people do nothing and love it. People constantly argue with their supervisors because – more... they know they can. All the managers think about is their bonuses. The schedule is a joke ..just a copy of last weeks no thought is put into it. The managers do not serve the military they serve there wallets. I had to quit and in 45 years i have never quit a job. The prices are high and the products are cheap. I will never work or shop in an aafes facility again – less
not so great here
Supervisor/ Foreman (Current Employee), Fort Benning, GAFebruary 24, 2014
I have had lateral moves with the company do not enjoy this move.
Perfect job for those looking to make minimal money
Sales Associate (Current Employee), PAFBFebruary 24, 2014
Cons: pay, staff, no discounts, minimal hours
The pay is HORRIBLE. They do not pay you based off your experience. The management has favorites and allows there favorite staff members to verbally abuse other staff. You are thrown on the floor with basically no training. Would not recommend this job to anyone. Save your time and your gas. That is all your check will cover anyways.
WONDERFUL
Customer Service Agent, Temporary Part-Time (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 23, 2014
This job is very rewarding as we are servicing the BEST customer's in the world: OUR MILITARY!
Laborer (Former Employee), Puerto ricoFebruary 20, 2014
It is a work of serious environment. It is a work force and strong physics. The co-workers are friendly.
I wouldn't reccomend this company to anyone
Jewelry/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Offutt AFBFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: you will not get fired unless you steal.
Cons: everything else..
I cannot speak for every military base BUT, I can speak for Offutt AFB. We are always understaffed. Most shifts I have to close by myself a whole entire department. Most manager work 10+ hours because they never hire any new people. The turnover rate here is ridiculous ! They pay one wage to do three peoples jobs. When some employees suck they do not – more... get rid of them. It is a very negative/hostile work environment. Mostly the older women that have worked their too long. And they will pick on you if you are not in their clique. everyone is stretched so thin for what they make. Just not worth it. AWFUL communication!!!! TONS of rules that change on a daily biases. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the customers. – less
friendly work place
Food SVC Worker (Current Employee), Fort Hood, TXFebruary 19, 2014
got to meet lots of people with different backgrounds and the culture,everyone at worked helped in to make sure the work is done on time.
Nice beginning to my working career
Personnel Clerk (Former Employee), Grissom AFB, INFebruary 10, 2014
I started out working in a couple of base service stations and then was asked to apply for the human resource position and stayed there until moving out of state.
Good place to work if you need job security
Stockroom Manager (Current Employee), Fort Drum, NYFebruary 10, 2014
Good place to work if you need job security. Good benefits. Bad promotion potential.
Definite job security, but low advancement
Accounting Technician I - Accounts Payable (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: easy going, great healthcare
Cons: lower pay, bad reward system, more work but nothing in return
The positions worked are simple, but can be challenging. This is a government entity but is on the lower scale. Pay is below average of the same position with other companies. The healthcare is great! A lot of managers are pretty lenient, but that is becoming a thing of the past quickly.
A learning experience
CUSTOMER SERVICE CLERK/FRONTCHECKOUT CASHIER (Former Employee), Fort Stewart, GAJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: serving our active duty military members, their families and military retirees.
Cons: at that time 4.65 a hr. that was probably minimum wage, or close to back then.
Working at the Army and Air force Exchange Services, was the beginning of my experience in retail. I learned how to operate adding machines, registers and helping military personnel and their family members to find all of their retail needs.

When I began my employment there, I was a receptionist in the Exchange office. I also had an opportunity to – more... work in the Customer Service and the Front Line Checkout as a cashier.

My co-workers were very courteous and nice to work with. I have a letter of referral from the Main Manager at AAFES at that time, that stated I got along well with all my co-workers.

Also when I left the area to move to Virginia to go to school and live. I was told after I left customers were asking about me and where I was. I was nice to all my customer's. Those that had some problems that needed to be addressed by supervisors or management. I liked talking with them to let them know we care about what you are concerned about and help them with their purchasing needs.

I enjoyed working for our military members when they came in to the facility. And at times had to face the difficult situation of going overseas to war. Leaving their families behind to do the job they came in to do, in protecting our country. I am glad to have that opportunity with helping and working with them and their love ones. – less
A job with no guidance and expectations made clear, yet those expectations were never met.
Hardlines Team Member (Former Employee), Vandenberg AFB, CAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: meeting many new people, due to working on a military base
Cons: barely any hours, scheduling issues, miscommunication or no communication, no room for advancement
A typical work day would be to go in, either cover another employee's break or open the store. No matter how much work was accomplished or what sales or made or what was achieved during the day, management was never happy. Many employees stressed about the job, due to the fact no matter what they accomplished no reward was given and more stress was – more... placed on the employees as a whole. Management was never willing to talk about issues at hand, and if talking to them did manage to happen, promises of solving the issues brought up would be made, but with no results. When asking for time off most of the time it wasn't approved despite asking a month or two months in advance. Calling out sick was nerve racking because they would always doubt your illness, even despite bringing in a doctor's note. The only enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers, which management did not like talking to customer's for too long, even if it was about them purchasing a product or making a huge sale. Management set no specific tasks to be done throughout the day, yet they would expect employees to know that a certain item or shelf needed to be moved or reorganized. The job wasn't one where you could be a self-sufficent worker; trying to move a self or fixture on your own usually resulted in having to move it back and being scolded by management for acting on your own. This would be okay, if they didn't expect you to be a self-sufficent worker. AAFES as a whole isn't necessarily a frustrating company, but of the many facilities in my local area I worked, they were too many negatives to even begin looking at the positives. – less

About ARMY & AIRFORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE

Be all that you can be and buy all that you can buy at the PX (Post Exchange). The Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) – Read more

ARMY & AIRFORCE EXCHANGE SERVICE Photos