Army Corps of Engineers

Army Corps of Engineers Employer Reviews

Working as a contractor to the Army Corps of Engineers fine
Systems Administrator and Network Engineer II (Current Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: being challenging, and changing every day, and datacenter supervisor.
Cons: being a contractor, and having to change contracts every 4 years is nightmarish
The job is never the same every day, sure there's some tedium but overall I found the position to be challenging and rewarding, over these last 14 years I have learned techniques that will make me a better Systems Administrator that include customer service, technical skills, and from a security perspective more prepared to meet the new challenges as they are presented.
Government employee for 36+ years
matl.handler, fork lift operator (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: i am in need to work closer to home
My typical day at work is to establish the priorities for the day.
How to get younger fellow employees in gear for the day.
I have been able to learn how to delicate the days mission to fellow
employees.
Walking that thin line of fellow employee's that I am a co-worker
but with the authority to delicate the work load
To know I did the best I could to accomplish the duties of the day.
I have been a civilian government employee for thirty six plus years.
Great organization. I was allowed to grow in my career field as upon my abilities and work performance.
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee), Savannah, GAFebruary 19, 2015
worked with a wide range of employees and managers from professionals to blue collar. work on a wide range of issues in the HR field,
Project Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: work enviroment
Cons: politics
A good place to work and start a career. Some very dedicated and smart people to work with and a good work environment. If you are just starting out in your career and want to get some good experience. Benefits are good and salary is good as well.
learned how to work as a team
Soldier (Former Employee), MO, Germany, EcuadorFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: health care, meals, traveling
Cons: some people hated us for being soldiers
Enjoyed serving my country
Typical day waking at 5;00 AM running few miles before breakfast.
I enjoyed working with my team mates as a team to complete difficult task
Productive, new culture and excellent experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Vicksburg, MSFebruary 10, 2015
My summer experience was one of my great experiences in my life. Throughout I had the experience to be part of the Corps of Engineers of the United States. Also I tried new food tastes and listened to a different type of music. While I practiced another language and participated all the days of a new culture. But most important of all I meet again the new friendship relationships that I knew the past summer. This people help us a lot trying to give us activities and good recommendations about foods, place to go out and others.

I learned a lot on work, beginning with: using programs related to do some statistical analysis, mathematical and computer-applications. Some computer programs that I used were: D-Plot and JMP statistical software to analyse all the data. Also I learned more to established new relations with new people using another language (English). Be part of a new environmental work place is an excellent experience because I also did draft reports for real works.
Working with Happy people
Management Services (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: security and a community environment.
Great Company to work for, enjoyed the friendship of the co-workers
Learned alot of different skills I will need in the future.
Productive and fun place to work has a workout center.
Heavy Mobile Equipment Repair Inspector (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: workout center, breaks, health care on site, cafeteria on site, daycare center
Cons: working in cubicals
Support the Dredge in all aspects, from purchasing parts and lubricants to inspecting work repair.
Poor in Development of Engineers
Civil Engineer (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits such as holidays, leave, pay
Cons: poor management, no training plans for young professionals
Most managers cannot produce a sufficient training plan for plans. Standard Operating Procedures, guidance are scarce.

Definitely a job where you’re fortunate to have a good leader/manager/mentor you'll go far. If not, you'll drown and will be limited.

Egos, attitudes dominate the workplace not intelligent, knowledgeable people.
Financial Program Analyst (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 15, 2015
Great place to start for young engineers. Highly recommend this organization
Good work environment
Financial Program Analyst (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: good place to start for young engineers
Cons: fast paced especially in summer
Great place to work. Great Leadership program. Would highly recommend this organization to anybody.
Great job, amazing experience
PARK RANGER (Former Employee), Libby, MTJanuary 13, 2015
I worked as a park ranger at the Libby Dam. I did children programs, campfire programs and tours of the power house. Loved the work and environment, though I might have lost some hearing.
Clerk
Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Bliss, TXJanuary 2, 2015
Fill in as Receptionist during lunch periods and in the absence of the regular receptionist. Assist Administrators with maintaining filing systems, sorting and filing various documents. Sort, review and evaluate certified payroll reports and provide input to the responsible administrator to request corrections to the reports received from various contractors. Copy, collate and prepare manuals for training classes and for use by other team members. Operate office equipment such as fax machines, copiers, scanners, shredders. Prepare documents utilizing Microsoft Office Suite software. Assist in interoffice and external mail preparation, delivery and receipt. Receive shipments from FedEx, UPS and similar shipping entities. Take messages received by telephone and through personal visits and ensure they were routed to the correct individual.
Really really bad
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: flex scheduling
Cons: management, incentives, quality of work
The Federal Government is so fragmented it's impossible to get any meaningful work accomplished. Millions of dollars are wasted every year on pointless activities. The system is so broken that I wouldn't know the first place to start to begin fixing it. It literally takes weeks, if not months, to accomplish the simplest tasks because there are thousands of hoops to jump through. It's just very sad and pathetic.
USACE Jacksonville is a horrible place to work
Project Engineer (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLDecember 29, 2014
Cons: mind numbing and meaningless bureaucracy
It was mind-numbingly boring place to work at. You spent more time doing meaningless bureaucratic paperwork that nobody knew the reason for other than it was always required before. You don't do much engineering since all engineering is sub-contracted out to private firms.

It was also very top heavy, since I had to report to 3 different managers all the time on what I was doing. A lot of these so called engineers would not make it in the real world. They get analysis paralysis. They are so stuck in the weeds that a minor detail that doesn't mean much in the long run, they will fixate on and cost the taxpayers more money and time for not much in return.

Honestly, they could get a lot accomplished if they just got out of their own way and start doing engineering and management instead of jumping through bureaucratic hoops that they created themselves that lead to nowhere and accomplishes nothing other than the appearance of work.

Everybody is stuck in their silos and nobody wants to get out of their zone or do more than the bare minimum.
Nice government job environment, but limited advancement potential.
Supply Technician (Current Employee), Omaha, NEDecember 29, 2014
Pros: nice facility with steady work requirements.
Cons: limited advancement potential.
The job is a low stress job, in a nice building, with nice amenities. Leadership doesn't always understand the requirements because approximately 50% don't have operational experience. The Logistics Office team is a well-trained, all prior military service group, who handle responsibility very well, plus dedicate their efforts to mission success.
Highly immersive engineering and construction experience
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Fort Hood, TexasDecember 27, 2014
Engineering and Construction Experience
Process oriented
Program management
Field experience
Great organization with a meaningful mission
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee), Lakewood, CODecember 23, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule including telework
Cons: limited opportunities to advance for administrative personnel
This is an outstanding organization to work for. The work environment is filled with friendly professionals and the mission is critical to our nation's infrastructure. I truly take pride in my work. The hardest part of the job is getting executives to realize that the small things are important too.
101st Airborne Division is awsome
Site Health and Safety Officer (Former Employee), Fort Campbell, KYDecember 21, 2014
As an engineer assigned to the 101st Airborne Division I was completely satisfied.
I was an intern Park Ranger. I would open our visitor center, plan and hold program, and would assist visitors anyway possible.
Park Ranger (Intern) (Former Employee), Brookville, INDecember 18, 2014
In a typical day I would check the areas, work on office work in the early morning, open the visitor center in the late morning until late afternoon, and I would check all of the areas and lock the office before I left. My responsibilities were to educate, increase awareness, and ensure visitors satisfaction. I practiced and improved time management, communication, and public relations skills. My co-workers were enjoyable and easy to work with but, the management was not the best I have experienced. The most enjoyably part was being able to help visitors to improve their experience.

1 2 3 4 5

About Army Corps of Engineers

Much of the nation's infrastructure was built on the proverbial back of the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE). In the 19th and – Read more

Army Corps of Engineers Photos