Army Corps of Engineers Employee Reviews in United States

Training Leader
Squad Leader/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Jackson, SCApril 28, 2016
Training young soldiers for deployment overseas. Operating computerized missions for soldier preparing to deploy. Assuring the perfection of lives being saved as much as possible.
Pros
Saving lives
Cons
Long days
Exciting place to work very demanding
Heavy equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Wainwright, AKApril 7, 2016
a very diverse environment, people from every corner of the country. Every day you are in call, sometimes working over 12 hours a day. Thing people enjoy the most is how physically ready you are. I guess hardest part of the job is keeping up with those who are in really shape, those are well conditioned for the physical brutality the military brings you.
Pros
Very physical
Cons
relocation evry 3 years
Challenging and rewarding work to construction major projects.
CONSTRUCTION INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Souther CaliforniaApril 4, 2016
The u.S. Army Corps of Engineers is a very worthwhile and chanllenging organization to work for. I enjoyed building or modifying the major public works on which we worked.
A lot of work for little pay.
Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 3, 2016
Not paid for the amount of work you do. Hired for one position but doing the work of another position which pays more money.
Excellent Travel Opportunities
Construction Representative (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXMarch 26, 2016
A very rewarding and at times challenging profession. Gave me the opportunity to travel to some unique places in the world.

DOD budget reductions diminished the quality of projects, increased the number of projects and left less time to accomplish the work.
Pros
Secure, well paying, interesting work
Cons
During the decline in the DOD budget projects were small & too numerous.
Great Agency to work for.
Natural Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orland, CAMarch 22, 2016
Great agency to work for. Lot of opportunities for training, professional development and advancement. I highly recommend this agency.
Flexibility!
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 19, 2016
Secure
Mix of great people and some typical government workers
You won't find any better flexibility, benefits, and work/life balance
Professional Work Enviornment, Great Work Atmosphere ,Excellent Skill to learn!
Horizontal Construction Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAMarch 18, 2016
A typical day as a engineer consist of checking your equipment for any leaks, cracks, warming it up, checking fluid levels, or defects that would hinder it from operating. Next would be checking the truck, trailer, chains and binder to ensure they are in good shape to haul your equipment. Next would be going out to whatever job site or dig site your operating at and perform your duties. I've learned a lot from being a heavy equipment operator, I've worked on various terrains , and on various job sites from large to small. I've done everything from , roads, to foundation, to trenches , to ranges, to trails, and even a little demolition. I enjoy every day and every aspect of being a heavy equipment operator. There is nothing hard about being a equipment operator or anything that I wouldn't enjoy. My co-workers are all highly skilled operators such as my self which makes operating competitive at time, so we learn from each other and make each other better. Management is great my boss gives me a brief of what needs to be done and I get in the equipment and safely and professionally get the job done operating confidently like a expert. At times I've managed jobsites and have taught my coworkers how to operate better and proficiently.Operation equipment is a awesome job I would strongly suggest it as a life long job and skills for others to acquire.
Pros
various equipment familarization, job site experience, managment pratice, construction experience, traveling
Cons
cant operate on job sites due to rain and mud at times
Secure place to be
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ft CampbellMarch 17, 2016
I loved it, couldn't find a better place to work at and get me started in life. Couldn't replace the people I have met there.
Project Manager (General Engineer) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 16, 2016
The US Army Corps of Engineers is a good place to work and has a very diverse work force. The people are great and always willing to help out if there is a problem
Great work place, friendly co-workers
Supply Technician Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 15, 2016
A typical day was to sign in, have breakfast and start my work day.
I learned how to work smarter, not harder.
I managed putting in my co-workers time and attendance, as well as other things.
I worked with some very nice co-workers, we worked as a team.
The part of the job, wasn't the job, but on some mornings getting up to go to the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job, was when my co-workers and myself would go out to lunch together.
Pros
Transportation back and forth to work was paid by the Corps.
Cons
Some workers in other offices weren't very friendly.
Maintenance Mechanic / Operator (Former Employee) –  Lake Village, ARMarch 10, 2016
The Army Corps of Engineers is A great place to work . I loke the opportunity to learn several trades . The employees are like family, we really look out for each other. Safety is job one !
Productive and fun work place
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2016
Good work, good people, good management, hardest part of the day was leaving work, most enjoyable was beginning every day. Great place, great engineers, great words, great great.
Productive Workplace
Student Contractor (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSFebruary 26, 2016
Everyone I work with are easy to get along with. I enjoy my job, and I enjoy the workplace environment. I have learned many office skills working in the Executive Office.
procductive and fun wokplace with frree meals
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSFebruary 24, 2016
decking and typical maintenance
how to do tow work and maintain an engine room
cleaning bilges
meal time with the whole crew
Pros
having a great crew
Good work environment
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSFebruary 24, 2016
Doing regular deckhand duties including making and breaking down tows, cleaning and some painting.
Learning proper ways to catch leads and safety.
Management is good at training and patient.
co-workers communicate good and respectful.
tying off the plant at night.
meal time with the whole crew.
Pros
Three meals a day, good overtime, save money
great military civilian workplace
Administrative Assistant and Office Support (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAFebruary 22, 2016
Check email, process contracts this is a multiple step process with at least 5 separate parts, file paperwork,

purchasing contracting and military systems used

great relation ship with management and coworkers.

consistent physical labor storing document with a dolley

driving to LA to escort management.
Self motivated research
Student Research Contractor (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 21, 2016
Great place to explore various opportunities for career. Employees are very friendly and willing to help with work. There are lots of resources for work.
Good
Biological Science Environmental Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAFebruary 6, 2016
This job has prepared me for additional work in this line of duty. The employees are very supportative and the hours are flexible and able to balance home life with work.
A professional organization with dedicated employees providing service to the military and the nation.
Chief, Engineering & Construction Division (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Excellent work environment with many career opportunities in civil works infrastructure or military facilities. Projects include levees, channels, dams, dredging, navigation, hospitals, schools, maintenance facilities, training facilities, aircraft shelters, runways, etc. Customers include State agencies, other Federal Agencies (Dept. of State, Dept. of Homeland Security, Air Force, Navy, FEMA, etc.), Port Authorities, and Foreign Governments. The US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is a world wide Engineering and Construction agency that allows employees to work and live in the US and many overseas locations.
Pros
Variety of work in world wide locations
Cons
Can sometimes be a bureaucracy

4.3