Army Corps of Engineers Employee Reviews

Good entry level introduction to public works
Engineering Technician/Geologist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 22, 2017
Thankful for my time with the Corps and getting to know the federal government standards of operation. Safety was always a priority on construction sites and our office did strive to be equal to all contractors. Not much support for finding an employee's best fit or utilizing an employee who had multiple skills. Told to "stay in your lane". Innovation non-existent. Communication lacking.
Pros
Introduction to Federal Processes
Cons
Internal promotions non-existent, upward mobility for non-engineers non-existent
very tense, boss mismanaged people and everyone was afraid to say anything in fear of losing their job
Biological Technician (Former Employee) –  Pomeroy, WAApril 21, 2017
I sat in a chair for 12hrs a day, sometimes working 14 days in a row keeping the facility clean, and maintaining fish populations in raceways. We collected out migrating smolts and loaded them onto barges to be released closer to the ocean to lower mortality rates.
Many opportunities
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAApril 20, 2017
Good workplace culture
Enjoyable working with people from very different backgrounds and cultures
Management is focused on job results, includes everyone in most decisions
Excellent place with great people.
Temporary Employee, Contracting Department (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 17, 2017
The Army Corps of Engineers in Charleston SC was an amazing experience. I worked with the contracting team on the closing and destruction of various files. I learned the use of excel, Microsoft, Adobe, and how to scan programs as well as the organization of files. The workplace culture in general is one of helping each other out as a team. In general the hard parts of the job involves patience when tackling another assignment. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the people in the team and feeling that you are welcomed amongst them.
Pros
Great location, Great people to work with, workload is very manageable
Great Supervisor, great office
Area Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, OHApril 13, 2017
I moved from GA to OH for this position. I loved learning new things. It was a pleasure to learn about the running of a Corp of Engineers office. Ordering tools, do schedules for inspections on the equipment, doing the payroll, making sure that the engineers have what they need to keep the dams of this Ohio running.
Pros
Working with great co-workers
Cons
leaving
Wonderful Organization but leadership is lacking
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 13, 2017
My immediate supervisor is not very accommodating with my disability. Other than his poor leadership qualities, this organization is wonderful to work for.
Pros
Free parking; secure lot
Learning experiences
Lock and Dam Operator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 12, 2017
During my tenure with the USACE I was green as green can be, but if you are willing to learn you will move up in rank. A typical day at work is mooring vessels from the Mississippi River to the Intracoastal Waterway. The hardest part of the job was training yourself to stay awake when you work over night. There really nothing to dislike about work at the USACE. The environment is so diverse and it's really fun to experience this. Management is very down to earth once you get to know them, but they are your supervisor first.
Good Place to Work
Workforce Management Administrator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 12, 2017
USACE is a good agency. Funding is a little complicated compared to other government agencies. Management varies because of the rotation of Commanding Officers.
guaranteed paycheck, and health insurance
Army (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCApril 11, 2017
recommend it for anyone able. quick promotions, and the people will work with you in any situation. long hours, can be fun if youre willing to try different things
Pros
free health care
Cons
no guaranteed days off
good people
ranger (Former Employee) –  Denison, TXApril 10, 2017
good people and a nice mission. solid day to day work with a variety of opportunity for excitement throughout the day. a little political at times but overall good
Great opportunity
ESD II (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 9, 2017
Great opportunity to expand on your I.T. knowledge base. Plenty of opportunities to network and get to know civilian and government personnel. Co-workers and supervisor are extremely helpful.
Great
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 9, 2017
Worked for the Federal Gov't for 32 years Conus/Oconus. Voluntarily deployed overseas four times (Iraq/Afghanistan). Great experience working for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and happy I had the chance to hopefully make a difference for the people in this country, and those other countries in the work capacity I served.
Pros
Good people
Cons
rocket attacks
Productive and plenty of work to keep you busy.
Programs and Project Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 7, 2017
Developed WBS project schedules to track installation of piping for a new build Dam.
Prepare, Review Field Development Plan for vendor packages to install HDPE pipes
Responsible for tracking project Front end Engineering and developing discharge piping schedules.
Development Project Implementation, Management, Construction and Commissioning schedules
Responsible for tracking detailed Engineering for Dam water pipe lines and valve testing.
Great experince
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  OregonApril 7, 2017
Worked only temporarily with them through a consulting company and had a great experience. I would try to apply with them but I live in the east. Great management and smart scientists
Great place to work, not too stressful
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarks Hill, SCApril 7, 2017
Was very fortunate to work with 4 engineers and do their secretarial work who were really nice men. It was a relaxed culture and not too stressful. The hardest part of the job was the long drive to work.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
low salary
U.S army
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Live Oak, FLApril 3, 2017
Great job to have if you willing to leave your family for basic training.the pay is not bad when deployed.benefits are great and the price is reasonable
Pros
Cons
Leadership
Not a good place to work
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2017
Easy to get in. No room for advancement. Not a good place to work if you are a woman. Trainings are important. Hard to get contractors to work for the government.
Great job
Administrative Assistant/Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 3, 2017
GREAT PLACE TO WORK. I feel very fortunate to have 15 years in the Federal Government. It's allowed me for excellent upward mobility and retirement opportunities.
Daily input of Invoices. Very fast workload.
ACCOUNTING TECH (Former Employee) –  Millington, TNApril 3, 2017
Daily processing if Invoices in a very fast environment. I enjoyed co-workers and we had a very close office relationship to get all the work processed on a timely basis. I learned that the Corps of Engineers is the Nation's environmental engineer. They also provide technical and construction support to more than 100 countries.
Pros
Satisfaction in a job well done at the end of the day.
Cons
Needed more people contact to break up the constant Invoicing.
Excellent
Facility/Realty Specialist (Former Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDApril 1, 2017
Never a dull moment. There is a constant challenge to meet customer objectives.
Management is sincere.
Heavy TS culture is not for everyone.
Most difficult part of the job is not being able to talk about work.
Most rewarding part of the job is the accomplishments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army Corps of Engineers. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3