Arrow Child and Family Ministries Employee Reviews

Therapist
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 6, 2017
Arrow has a clear mission and employees that work hard to meet the goal of the mission. Their service is valuable and Arrow supports their employees.
A place with potential, slowly being realized
ABA Therapist (Current Employee) –  TANGRAMMarch 2, 2017
Tangram is an amazing program where we see so many successes daily that it keeps us on our toes. It is true that we have had (in the past) a huge turn over rate, but this only looks bad because we are so small. This turnover has, also, drastically decreased over the past year. Each of the staff members are there for the children 100% and are there for each other as well...you know the term "work family", we'll that exists to a tee.
Administration, though it's had its rough patches, has started to straighten itself out and has become solidified. The staff that have been at Tangram for longer than 1 year, not many but they are the good ones, are very knowledgeable and always jump up to help, when needed. They are always willing to go that extra mile to help you understand something and even do other things outside of their job descriptions!
I haven't been at Tangram long, but I am finding it to be a great place to work.
Pros
Knowledgable staff, mentor program, training program
Cons
No lunch break, can be overhelming when new
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 2, 2017
Really enjoyed working as a team assisting youth in need. Did not like the hostile environment at times but there was support.
Fairmeadows Bel air
Assistant teacher (Former Employee) –  Bel air MDFebruary 16, 2017
For the money that tge public education system pays for each student, over $75,000 per child per year you would think that this organization would be a quality one. Students are not taught properly, behaviorally assessed properly nor given self contained classroom education like they need. All students are emotionally disturbed at Arrow and their mission is helping children strengthening families which is a farce. Students act like they run the school with the new principal. She has little control over the situation. Employees who are dedicated are not appreciated and underpaid. Many employees love the students and are criticized for it. Harford county public schools needs to stop sending students there until the management gets adequate people running the school.
Pros
Free lunch for staff
Cons
Low pay, long hours, under appreciated
Move on!
ABA Therapist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 22, 2017
There is no structure or organization here. Employees walk around grabbing each others back side, smacking each others back side along with other inappropriate contact. The head just sits there and watches. Only real cleaning is when the health department is scheduled to come in. The administration will tell you to do things one way, then reprimand you for doing it the next day. Way too much stress. There is a complete lack of respect for the staff. I wouldn't want anyone I know to work here.
Pros
Cons
Work on lunch break. You do all the work and the teacher foes nothing.
Productive Workplace
Family Home Developer (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 16, 2017
There is always an opportunity for growth and consistent learning experiences that occur on a daily basis. Everyday brings new tasks and on the spot thinking that provides knowledge in many different areas of the job.
Poor leadership and unethical practices
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  TangramAugust 13, 2016
Staff turn around is huge. Job security is low. Administration is awful and cares more about the money a student brings to the school than the students themselves. Many unethical practices take place and when brought to the attention of higher ups, nothing is done. Administration barely knows the students. They are dishonest and lay down a lot of rules for staff, which they don't follow themselves. Staffing is very inconsistent and you never know what room and with what student you may end up working with that day. They play favorites and the degrees to which an employee is held accountable to those rules is different based on what you can or cannot do for them. It's a "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" kind of leadership. Outside of the amazing children, and they are AMAZING, it's a pretty awful place to work. Most of the staff are unhappy and wanting to find new employment. Be prepared to be thrown in and expected to perform with NO training. You will be made endless promises, which are only said to get you to do what administration wants, yet will not be followed through with. The behavior and clinical director has created behavior intervention plans, which have caused major regressions in some of the students, in turn causing safety to be an issue for staff. This individual has also created very similar behavior plans for multiple students in order to meet deadlines, rather than to consider the student's individual needs. You will be expected to perform duties outside of what you were hired to do, and the expectations will change constantly. On a good  more... note, the school has an amazing I.E.P. coordinator and some really nice staff members. My suggestion, look elsewhere, even if the pay isn't as good. Your happiness and sanity are more important than any benefit you could possibly get from this place.  less
Pros
The students are amazing and there are some great staff members
Cons
Everything else
Horrific Place to Work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MDAugust 5, 2016
Management is terrible, Student/Inpatients are treated like dirt, Staff if rude and abusive. No leadership or training that was promised.
San Angelo, Texas has hired and fired 3 CM in one year!
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXMarch 9, 2016
Beware if you are looking to work for Arrow in San Angelo, Texas. The program director (management) has hired and fired three case managers in one year’s time. I was the 2nd in 09/15 and as of last week, there’s now a 3rd. I can explain why, but I better not. The job itself isn’t too difficult, but mine and his differences came when I felt that a foster family was not fit to foster. I was fired once I voiced my concerns, and two months later, they were closed by CPS. Therefore, proving my concerns were valid. I feel Arrow is a business that hides behind religion that profits on children’s misery; money came first, children second. It’s unacceptable.

You must also do a lot of traveling and work in an office full of tension. The hardest part of the job was trying to advocate for the children I was trying to protect, but going unheard. The most enjoyable, was seeing the children and being a positive influence in their life, however, it was short-lived.
Cons
Awful management with so much potential
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MdFebruary 27, 2016
I worked at the crossroads campus in bel air. It was my first time working with foster care. I stuck it out for almost a year because I loved working with the girls. The management ruined absolutely everything. They did not support the staff- if you gave a girl a punishment, they knew that they could go to the management and they would overturn everything. Management constantly tore down staff, treated everyone unfairly, played favorites (with staff and the girls). Girls don't receive enough therapy, there is very little structure, no chance or encouragement for the girls to better themselves with going to college, getting their drivers licenses, or any emphasis on school. This program with such a disappointment. It really let the kids down and doesn't do more than provide the girls a place to eat and sleep.
Pros
Regular staff has great teamwork
Cons
Management will make this miserable
Great staff team enviroment
Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 21, 2015
Management not always on the same which can give the student the wrong impression.
Hardest part of the job is if staff is low safety is big issue.
They are dedicated to the children they serve
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 23, 2015
I worked here for five years and have many fond memories of the employees and the children. I grew professionally and personally because of the mission and vision of Arrow.

When the Maryland programs were allowed to run themselves and focus on the best interest of the children they did well. Whenever leadership in Texas got involved they inhibited the ability of the Maryland leaders to do what was best for the staff and the children.

The child care staff clearly care about the work they do and the kids they work with. If a staff member ever exhibited an inability to put the kids first they were dealt with swiftly and appropriately.

As a non-profit state funded organization they don't have a lot of money. If they had the ability to pay better salaries I would have stayed on for many more years.
Pros
Mission and vision. Faith based programs. Paid time off, holidays, benefits.
Cons
Lower salaries, interference from Texas leadership in Maryland operations.
Fun and uplifting workplace
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston / Spring / PorterSeptember 3, 2015
Working for a non profit agency has it's challenges, but the staff has always overcome the challenges. The staff are always optimistic and extremely flexible. We all did whatever it took to get the job done. What a great company to work for. I would recommend Arrow Child and Family Ministries to anyone who is in the job market, to consider employment there.
Pros
Great work environment
Tangram School
ABA Instructor (Current Employee) –  TowsonAugust 8, 2015
Not a very good school to work for. Very poor management. Pretty much a popularity contest. A lot of discriminating behavior and unfair treatment. You will find that out very quickly.
Never Again
Residential Counselor, I (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MDAugust 8, 2015
I have spent 9 years with Arrow. I stayed that long for the youth that lived there. This company does not value its employees. NO ONES job is safe. Everyone is out to get someone fired. There is no structure for the children there. The basically run the units and when they don't get their way from unit staff they know if they go above staff they will get it.. If the children lie on staff, staff wont get a chance to defend themselves they are out the door by the end of the week. The units are mice infested. Arrow wont do anything about it until its time for an inspection. Arrow has connection with OSHA so that is how they pass their infections. The amount of food given to residents is barely enough to make it through the night and it doesnt help that they eat at 5pm and get a small snack at 7. Great place right. I know i would never send my child there.
Cons
barely any breaks, staffing issues
Theraputic Evironment
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MarylandJune 30, 2015
Arow is a Christian based facility. Treatment for clients, other than therapy sessions, are open to various options. These options include art, sports, performance, writing, literature and sometimes, just relaxing. These things have a purpose for getting the clients mind of off negativity.
great environment
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDNovember 22, 2014
the staff were friendly and very helpful as a graduate intern
they were willing to work with you and help you
the office is a great environment and cozy
Lead Medical Assistant
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 7, 2014
I found my position to be one of challenge. I was excited to have been asked to take lead with my team. I have never encountered such empathetic and supportive leadership.
Pros
Confidence In Team Members
Very laid back and warm environment with highly motivated and compassionate employees.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PASeptember 5, 2014
Arrow is a very warm and inviting place to be employed or do your internship at. I have gained much respect for the people who work within this field because of the long hours and the amount of effort that is put into each individual client/child(ren) and their birth parents.
Arrow's first and main goal is reunification with the birth parents. When and if this is not possible, you can be sure that the child(ren)'s interests and needs are met to the best of their ability in all aspects which include mental, physical, emotional and psychological.
I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to have done my internship with Arrow because I was the first person that they accepted as an intern who was only going for my Associates Degree. The lowest educational level that a person can have and work at Arrow is a Bachelors Degree, so I did miss out on the field work that most interns would have had the ability to have obtained. However; I obtained a great deal of knowledge in regards to the inner office workings and became familiar with the guidelines and responsibilities that are required of all employees and I feel that it was a pleasure to have been involved with such caring, selfless people who do more than their share to help the children grow to become productive members of society regardless of some very hard past histories that they can and (mostly) do overcome with the help of this non-profit organization.
Learning to be a professional in this work field is different than being a professional in the business world. Both can be rewarding, but in differing way's. Any person
  more... who has the ability to see first hand how a small group of people can help a community with such a large impact by working together as a team would want to work with this organization.
The supervisor Ashley Saylor was a very understanding and caring person to whom I felt was a very influential person for me on a personal level. She is truly an asset to this organization and helped me realize that it was alright to not know exactly which part of this new field of study that I felt was right for me as the person that I am and my background. She assured me that I will eventually find my place in this field and I believe she is correct.
I personally may want to continue with my education to achieve my Bachelors Degree at some point in the future to enable me to achieve a personal goal, but currently I am looking forward to gaining education at my current level of education and background of experience.
Pros
The feeling of helping a child(ren) in need find relief from different types of abuse or neglect.
Cons
Knowing about the needless suffering that some children go through.
Positive
Ambassador Family Specialist/Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 13, 2014
The mission and values of Arrow Child and Family Ministries are remarkable. It is truly a good agency to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arrow Child and Family Ministries. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6