Art Institute of California Employee Reviews in United States

I enjoyed the student life
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAMarch 31, 2016
Enjoyed the diverse students and staff I worked with on a daily basis. Listening to the goals of students as well as watching their creativity grow.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Hardly had coverage for lunch or to clock out
Student Worker
Interior Design Resource Librarian (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 26, 2016
I get treated like every other student worker, with no opportunity to grow in the company or work more hours. However, I do enjoy meeting new students and seeing old ones go onto graduation. So far, I've been able to network with other designers who also graduated from AI.
Faculty
Faculty Member (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 16, 2015
I love teaching/training students and individuals in a field I am very passionate about: culinary and nutrition. Although I have amazing supervisors, who have known me for over 10 years, there is little job security at this organization. It is a wonderful place to work and I was able to grow and develop my skills over the years. I learned from my colleagues, supervisors, and even the students. There have been many lay-offs in the last 5 years, so I am not sure where the organization is headed.
Pros
Wonderful supervisors and teaching students
Cons
Job security
Hands on training
Senior Gameplay Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2015
At the Art Institute of California - San Diego I have learned a lot about the process of creating video games. We have a lot of hands on training with every software we learn. I really enjoy studying here.
Good Company
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 13, 2015
At AI I learned a lot about management and how to service students with exceptional customer service. The company did not micro-manage which is a big plus.
Great opportunity to help future artists
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 1, 2015
I greatly enjoyed helping other students learn and refine their skills and learned how frustrating it can be for students who are just starting out. It is extremely rewarding to see students who were struggling become better and even come to love what they had trouble with. My manager was exceptional and knowledgeable about the programs, and my coworkers were at the top of their class in skill.
Pros
working with students who were willing to learn and improve their skills
Cons
limited hours
Productive Workspace
Student Design Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 28, 2014
A typical day at work would be reading through emails for specific design needs. Meeting with the Dean of Student Affairs to check upcoming events schedule. Mapping out what's next for students, and events that will engage the student population. Designing unique event flyers, posters, and other marketing materials to gain student engagement. Meeting alongside peer mentors to see what their design needs are.

I learned a lot about workload organization, physical print media, and event planning.

My co-workers do not do anything as labor intensive as I do, but being in an environment where teamwork is encouraged really helped me with customer service skills: listening to peers/clients, meeting their needs, and making business friends.

The hardest part of the job, I'd say, is meeting close deadlines. A lot of tasks were given to me with very short amounts of time to be completed, but I proved to work well under pressure.

The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to do what I love surrounded by people who were friendly and supportive.
Pros
peers, work environment, convenience
Cons
short deadlines, unorganized information
Fun and productive place
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CASeptember 29, 2014
Busy student life, always something to do and plan. People are fun to work with. Staff is open minded.
Good school
Student (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CASeptember 21, 2014
I enjoyed every minute at the Art institutes. I learnt so much and am so grateful for all my experience and classes. I respected all my lecturers and felt very proud to graduate here
Pros
excellent teachers, good class times
I love the art institute
Faculty- Ethics, Fashion business, Culinary (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CASeptember 12, 2014
The students lack motivation but the school itself is a joy to work with. Administration is the best , the pay is good, they are flexible and empathetic. I just wish I had more work there.
Pros
management, pay
Cons
not enough classes available to me

Want to know more about Art Institute of California?

Ask a question
Great team
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAAugust 27, 2014
The people make this job great. Communication with management can be frustrating
Productive and Fun place to work
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 3, 2014
• Organized outreach to cohort of 25 students via phone, e-mail and text to schedule weekly meetings and promote educational events
• Scheduled, planned and implemented five bi-monthly events
• Created a logistics plan for each event which included a marketing outline as well as a supply list
• Communicated event outlines and cohort progress reports to supervisory team and other mentors each week
• Utilized Microsoft Excel to submit cohort tracking reports to supervisory team
• Booked appointments with students to register for classes
• Provided telephone support for students with challenges
Pros
gaining professional and social skills
Huge Work Load/ Constant change in leadership
Director of Career Services (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMay 22, 2014
The Art Institute is challenging but fulfilling work. It requires great skilling in time management and multitasking. My co-workers are hard working and honest. It fosters an environment of doing what is best for the students and graduates.
Pros
colllege reimbursement packages/ retirement packages
Cons
constant change and huge work load
fun school
Ride Operator (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAMay 15, 2014
A fun and social place where you can learn about different people. A great place to earn your degree in.
Walking on Eggshells
Assistant Mailroom Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAApril 29, 2014
Assisted admissions department with enrollment paperwork and support relating to enrollment processes. Operated new student orientation events.
Productive & fun place to work.
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 5, 2014
Very talented team of employees. Student needs always a priority.
Pros
amazing supervisor.
Productive, energetic workplace, creative, fulfilling
Fashion Marketing Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 21, 2014
-Create and deliver class lectures based on marketing curriculum
-Provide feedback on how to improve assignments
-Assign projects which build off of the previous weeks work
-Assign grades

-I believe that each student is a unique individual and it is my role to guide them by providing access to information, people, and experiences, which will further their growth and interest in their desired discipline. I make it a point to talk to him or her rather than talk at them and have found this to have a positive impact on the students’ attitude and behavior because it gives them a sense of security, and individuality and also allows them to discover their fullest potential as a person and a professional.

-I fully respected and had a good relationship with the program director. She was fair, honest, and incredibly knowledgeable in regards to the industry.

-Co-workers came from all industries and were a wealth of knowledge

-For myself, teaching provides an opportunity for continual learning and growth. One of my expectations as an instructor is to instill a love of learning in my students, as I share my own passion for learning with them. In our competitive society it is important for students to work with someone who is aware of their individual needs. I am such a person and will always strive to be the best educator that I can be.
Pros
free access to trend websites, industry news sites, personal and professional growth
Cons
healthcare, not enough teaching hours
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 15, 2013
• Providing strategic management of the accounting and finance functions
• Directing accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls
• Managing or overseeing the relationship with independent auditors
• Coordinating and managing the annual budget process
• Communicating the company’s actual performance versus budgets and objectives to senior management; recommending growth and/or change strategies as well as identifying areas for improvement
• Collaborating with leaders of other departments to prepare for critical business opportunities and achievement of strategic objectives
• Performing financial modeling and analysis
• Financial and Administrative policy governance including review and administration
• Hiring, training, reviewing, and retaining competent accounting and finance staff.
Pros
free education
Cons
company downsizing
Professional and fun place to work at.
Student Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAJuly 29, 2013
Regular day at the office was always assisting students, assisting management with any pending projects. Had really good relationships with co- workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was able to help students with financial difficulties by working out a better re-payment plan for them.
Pros
satisfaction of being able to help. participating in special events.
Cons
commute.
Love this place
Adjunct faculty-History (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CAMarch 25, 2013
Would work more if they gave me more. The students and administration are great,
Pros
everything
Cons
not enough work