Art Institute of California Employee Reviews

a good place to start
Storeroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAApril 12, 2017
always handles orders, filled them out, then began to build reqs for the next day, kept an eye on product id and learned how to fill out spoilage report.
Art Institute of California San Francsico
Restaurant Manager / Culinary Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 22, 2017
The Art Institute of California San Francisco has an amazing Culinary program that offers both Associate Degrees and Bachelor Degrees in Culinary Arts and Culinary Management
n/a
San Francisco - Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 13, 2017
It isn't a bad job but it could get tedious throughout the entire time. Wish that it was certainly a better going through with working because it could be repetitive.
Students Great.
Employee (Former Employee) –  CASeptember 15, 2016
Students are great to work with. Management is not reliable or trustworthy. Lots of secrets and dishonesty within the entire corporation. Layoffs happen while simultaneously shareholders receive millions in bonuses.
Loved working for this school
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 2, 2016
This school helped me learn and grow my knowledge with title IV funds, proper customer presentations with student and parents. Loved working with all of the students and staff at the Art Institute.
Productive and fun place to be in.
Culinary Arts Science (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 18, 2016
No matter where I've been at I always find the good in a slow or fast pace company. Making the best out of everything is my mind frame.
Great place with a wonderful team but limited because of corporate hold.
Restaurant Manager and Culinary Instuctor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 6, 2016
This was an amazing place to work and has been for the 2+ years I was there but the company was restructuring its schools because of lack of student enrollment and I was cut. While I was there I learned a lot about teaching and management, as I had many job titles there and wonderful references which would tell you of my accomplishments. As the school went through a restructure, it was time I moved on to a job that could allow me to grow.
Pros
helping students, great food, fun department field trips and events, gained knowledge
Cons
short breaks, long hours at times, small production, low pay
Declining Business
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 2, 2016
Higher Education industry in general is dwindling due to government regulations, which puts stress on all institutions.
Pros
Creative Arts enviroment
Cons
Constant lay-offs due to industry decline.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAApril 19, 2016
Always had fun working and had great coworkers. The students I worked with made my job really easy and well worth the time I put in.
I enjoyed the student life
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAMarch 31, 2016
Enjoyed the diverse students and staff I worked with on a daily basis. Listening to the goals of students as well as watching their creativity grow.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Hardly had coverage for lunch or to clock out
Student Worker
Interior Design Resource Librarian (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 26, 2016
I get treated like every other student worker, with no opportunity to grow in the company or work more hours. However, I do enjoy meeting new students and seeing old ones go onto graduation. So far, I've been able to network with other designers who also graduated from AI.
Faculty
Faculty Member (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 16, 2015
I love teaching/training students and individuals in a field I am very passionate about: culinary and nutrition. Although I have amazing supervisors, who have known me for over 10 years, there is little job security at this organization. It is a wonderful place to work and I was able to grow and develop my skills over the years. I learned from my colleagues, supervisors, and even the students. There have been many lay-offs in the last 5 years, so I am not sure where the organization is headed.
Pros
Wonderful supervisors and teaching students
Cons
Job security
Hands on training
Senior Gameplay Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2015
At the Art Institute of California - San Diego I have learned a lot about the process of creating video games. We have a lot of hands on training with every software we learn. I really enjoy studying here.
Good Company
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 13, 2015
At AI I learned a lot about management and how to service students with exceptional customer service. The company did not micro-manage which is a big plus.
Great opportunity to help future artists
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 1, 2015
I greatly enjoyed helping other students learn and refine their skills and learned how frustrating it can be for students who are just starting out. It is extremely rewarding to see students who were struggling become better and even come to love what they had trouble with. My manager was exceptional and knowledgeable about the programs, and my coworkers were at the top of their class in skill.
Pros
Working with students who were willing to learn and improve their skills
Cons
Limited hours
Productive Workspace
Student Design Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 28, 2014
A typical day at work would be reading through emails for specific design needs. Meeting with the Dean of Student Affairs to check upcoming events schedule. Mapping out what's next for students, and events that will engage the student population. Designing unique event flyers, posters, and other marketing materials to gain student engagement. Meeting alongside peer mentors to see what their design needs are.

I learned a lot about workload organization, physical print media, and event planning.

My co-workers do not do anything as labor intensive as I do, but being in an environment where teamwork is encouraged really helped me with customer service skills: listening to peers/clients, meeting their needs, and making business friends.

The hardest part of the job, I'd say, is meeting close deadlines. A lot of tasks were given to me with very short amounts of time to be completed, but I proved to work well under pressure.

The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to do what I love surrounded by people who were friendly and supportive.
Pros
Peers, Work Environment, Convenience
Cons
Short Deadlines, Unorganized Information
Fun and productive place
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CASeptember 29, 2014
Busy student life, always something to do and plan. People are fun to work with. Staff is open minded.
Good school
Student (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CASeptember 21, 2014
I enjoyed every minute at the Art institutes. I learnt so much and am so grateful for all my experience and classes. I respected all my lecturers and felt very proud to graduate here
Pros
excellent teachers, good class times
Cons
I love the art institute
Faculty- Ethics, Fashion business, Culinary (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CASeptember 12, 2014
The students lack motivation but the school itself is a joy to work with. Administration is the best , the pay is good, they are flexible and empathetic. I just wish I had more work there.
Pros
Management, pay
Cons
Not enough classes available to me
Great team
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAAugust 27, 2014
The people make this job great. Communication with management can be frustrating

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Art Institute of California. Our community is ready to answer.