Art Van Furniture

Art Van Furniture Employer Reviews

Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Merrillville, INJuly 31, 2014
Pros: free lunch on saturdays
Cons: only 1 break and having to constantly lie to customers
Keeping in mind that Art Van was just expanding to this area, I was nevertheless shocked to find such an extreme turnover of managers in the year I worked there. Most of the original management team seemed at a definite loss when it came to running the store. One day you would be told to "save the sale", then the next day a manager would ask why you – more... gave free delivery. Tell them "to save the sale" and I was written up. Their computer system is outdated. they still use the DOSS system, but do not give adequate training in the use of it. The job also was not what I was told it would be. I was told processing sales, credit apps., working with customers, answering phones, and occasionally handling problems that came up. 90% of my time was spent on the telephone with most of that time advising guests on how we would take care of their concerns. I have worked in Customer Service before and loved it; especially at Macy's and School Stuff Inc. I am, however, not going to miss Art Van Furniture. – less
Fun, Interactive Work Environment with Self-Directed Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIJuly 25, 2014
Pros: freedom, autonomy, fun atmosphere, great management
Cons: nothing is guaranteed, must build your business
Art Van had a tremendous amount of freedom. Your performance was really predicated on how much you wanted to put into it - honing your craft, building up networks, and taking care of the guests out on the floor.

The environment was generally warm and supportive even though competitive. The managers were the shining aspect of the work - they were always – more... there for you when you needed anything, they were always listening, always helpful, and they were always ultra-responsive in a very quick timeframe.

Like any office environment, there are some co-workers you probably won't be compatible with relationship-wise, but there is always the opportunity for a business partnership - and otherwise, most co-workers are amiable, friendly and driven.

I learned how to be more keenly aware of interpersonal and social cues, how to think closer about the way people are moving, acting, what energy they are emitting, and what this means about their person and how I can use this information to help make a sale.

The hardest part of the job was following up with sales that had already been made - it is not as glamorous as getting out in front of new guests and making new sales.

The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the other salespeople talking, learning about their stories, and enjoying the light-hearted atmosphere in the store. – less
Customer Service Specialist
Communication Specialist (Former Employee), Warren, MIJuly 15, 2014
A typical day at Art Van Furniture is very busy. It's a fast paced environment. Art Van Furniture has a great culture to work in. Be ready to learn, get involved and be a team player.
Location is everything!
Home Furnishing Consultant (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MIJuly 3, 2014
Pros: training, benefits package
Cons: always standing, customers can crush self-esteem
Customers often treat salespeople with distane. Location means everything with this company. Some locations are experiencing high volume with little sales, others have low volume with high sales. Very good training.
Helping customers shop for beautiful home furnishings.
Home Furnishings Consultant, Pure Sleep Specialist (Current Employee), Charter Township of Clinton, MIJune 17, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: long hours on your feet
Meet customers and help them find the furniture that will make them happy and beautify their homes. Assist in room planning with design software program. Sell pieces, schedule delivery, and follow up with customer to make sure everything went smoothly and to identify future needs.
Productive and fun place with ping pong table
Head Porter (Former Employee), HowellJune 4, 2014
Pros: free lunches all the time
Cons: work every holiday
Definitely too many managers telling back room what to do for the day, as they never communicated with each other. overall not a bad first job if minimum wage is all you expect to make.
Waste of time
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee), Tri-cities, MIMay 8, 2014
Pros: paid every week
Cons: everything else
This place is not a good place to work for. I worked in the office and the hours were rediculous. Sometimes they had us scheduled to work ten hour days, which doesn't make sense to me...there were plenty of office associates to schedule us normal hours...some of us have a family they'd like to spend time with. They gave you a lunch but got irritated – more... if you asked to take a break. Both the office manager and assistant manager always said I didnt do my job properly when I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing...when all they did was constantly eat, apply make up or paint their nails right in the middle of the office where all of the customers could see them. Horrible excuse for role models and leaders. – less
Art van furniture teaches you true customer service and values their workers.
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee), Orland Park, ILMay 5, 2014
A typical day at work is to cater to our guest and make sure that guest are happy with not only our furniture but also our customer service.
Typical sales job with unlimited commission ceiling
Home Furnishing Consultant (Former Employee), Port Huron, MIApril 17, 2014
Pros: unlimited ceiling on commission
Cons: working nights, weekends and holidays. sneaky co-workers.
Typical day at work included arriving before store opened, prepping the floor for customers, learning the sales, events, and discounts every day, greeting customers at the door to help them with the furniture buying process, manually enter all orders into the computer system for processing, and ending the work days events by cleaning the store.

I learned – more... how competitive commission sales can be. You really have to be careful and watch your back from the other salesmen. I learned a lot of product information about furniture.

Management was good overall. They definitely worked with you to help make a sale which is really nice. They worked with you when it comes to your schedule or personal problems which is also nice. They often changed policies which can be frustrating, and they watched you like a hawk which can be very frustrating.

Co-workers were interesting. The newer ones were nice and the most friendly. They seemed to generally want to help. The veterans were good for their knowledge but that's about it. They will help but only if it could benefit them in some way. They are quick to point out your mistakes to management not to help you improve at your job but to make you look bad and them look good. – less
customer satisfaction is very import
Driver Helper (Current Employee), Warren, MIApril 16, 2014
decent place to work. customer satisfaction is important. though management could be better
Terrible
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Portage, MIApril 6, 2014
Worst sales job ever. Sharks and snakes everywhere. Beware. You WILL NOT make what they tell you that you will.
Productive and fun workplace.
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Warren, MIMarch 28, 2014
Productive and fun workplace. The company does a very good job of keeping all employees informed of company's goals and current status.
Great Job
Stockmen (Former Employee), Troy, MIMarch 28, 2014
A very great job for young kids but some of the wages are not very comparable in todays society. Wonderful people and system to work in and environment.
Worked for a top 18 furniture company.
Sales Consulant (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MIMarch 27, 2014
Pros: large secure company that is still growing.
Cons: had to work holidays.
Dealt with almost every facet of the workplace. I opened the doors to escorting elderly guests to their vehicles. Took every advantage given to me by the tools that were provided to get the sale in a positive manner, both for the company and the guest.
Chair assembly production department
Chair assembly (Former Employee), Warren, MIMarch 16, 2014
Pros: the pay rate was good.
Cons: getting out of work late.
I typical day at work. I would report to work, have are daily meeting and then start to assembly chairs and tables on a daily basis per hour. I also worked in receiving and unloaded furniture with a handcart and put them on a loading cart to be put into stock area.s
Good job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), OhMarch 11, 2014
Pros: good money if you want it enough
Cons: long hours
Long hours but great place to work if you work hard. Great managers
Great Supportive Management
Sales (Current Employee), Merrillville, INMarch 3, 2014
Pros: great teamwork, fantastic management
Cons: more "curious" customers than actual buyers; after-care is the only way to really make a buck
I have worked in many different environments and I actually enjoy working here. I just wish it paid enough to pay the bills. I think in a few years, once this store has established itself in this new area, it will be profitable... for now, only the aggressive (read: cut-throat "in it for themselves and no one else") sales people will thrive.
I drank – more... the kool-aid on the whole "family company" concept when I first hired but the fact of the matter is that the owners are going to increase profits at whatever price necessary. If that means we're open on Thanksgiving this year, that's what is going to happen. Family be damned. – less
Art Van
Design Consultant (Current Employee), Port Huron, MIFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: same schedule every week
Cons: no time off, multiple 12 hour shifts
As a recent college graduate, I am looking for a job that I feel my hard work will be appricated. I throughly enjoy working, completing multiple tasks during the day and always learning new things. Art Van has helped me realize that all of these qualities in a work place are what I need to stay motivated. The hardest part about working at Art Van is – more... the "political" aspect of the floor. Although, I love working with others, working with the associates at this company is difficult. I enjoy working as a team and this company is very independent. I need to have a career where I can wake up in the morning and be excited and know I am going to make a differene for those I work with and for others. – less
Work
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee), Lansing, MIFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: discounts on furniture
Cons: bad management and equipment
The Management usually doesn't know what they are doing half the time. Not a good place to work.
bad place to stay y
Porter (Former Employee), Shelby Township, MIFebruary 17, 2014
the less work you do the more you get paid , the hardest workers are in the back room and they are exceedingly for min. wage

1 2 3 4

About Art Van Furniture

Art Van Furniture Inc. is the Midwest's largest furniture retailer and America's largest independent furniture retailer. The company – Read more

Art Van Furniture Photos