Art.com Employee Reviews in United States

A Day at Art.com
Mat Cutter (Current Employee) –  Groveport, OHDecember 19, 2015
My day usually starts at four o'clock, five o'clock p.m depending on if we are doing overtime or not. i clock in in my department witch is called Canvas, it is called that due to the fact we deal with mounting artwork over durable plain-woven fabric, color depends on what the costumer wants. i use a machine that cuts the canvas fabric to the measurements provided by the work orders. In a typical day my coworkers and i would average at least 500 to 550 Canvas cut out a day.I work with a 10 person team lead buy our team lead. all of us get along pretty well witch helps the day go by fast. one of the only down sides to the job for me is working second shift and the work outweighs the salary but is pays the bills. one of the good things is there are a lot of great people i work with and are always willing to give a extra hand when needed.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Working Second Shift and long work hours, sometimes no days off.
Productive and Fun-workplace with ping-pong table
Principal Oracle Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CASeptember 6, 2015
Workplace is great - but all the wrong people are in the wrong place. Consequently all the non-contributors are piling up and all the contributors are leaving the company. For a startup like art.com where innovation and creativity should be the primary goal for the company, and solid contributions should be the only parameter for awards, it happens the other way.
Pros
Niche Business, great leadership, tremendous potential
Cons
Very mediocre middle management, lack of SMEs and directions
Work
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 3, 2015
This job was one of the best jobs I have obtained. They know how to treat employees. If I was not trying to pursue my career I would go back to this job.
High risk high reward, high speed fun!
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILSeptember 12, 2013
I learned to wear many hats at Art.Com. I started in the shipping department and ended my career there in the accounting dept. There was no typical day at work. One day you would be shipping packages all over the world, the next day you would be researching a technical error on the website, and on the weekend you could be driving a forklift. At Art.Com if you had initiative, brains and produced results your opinion was as important as the CEO's. The hardest part was the uncertainty of the funding for the company at the beginning. There is a reason the call them vulture capitalist. The most fun was having the latitude and support to solve problems. The workforce was diverse in personality as well as skill set, the flat management style made you feel appreciated and invested.
Pros
the diverse duties, flat management style, and relaxed dress code.
Cons
unstable funding, unpredictable work life balance.
This is a good place to work if you're in school, but afterwhile, it will get tiring
o Work as a call center agent (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 4, 2013
Working at Art.com was an interesting experience, at it has been the only job I have been at for more than a 13 months consecutively. A typical day at work would consist of answering both phone calls and chats, taking orders, re-working orders, and helping out with customer inquiries. The benefits are what keep a lot of people here and enjoying this job. We would get paid bonuses depending on our sales numbers, but the benefits are still the highlight here. The reason I would give job security/advancement one star is although you're secured a job once you convert from temp to permanent, certain things seem to be done to make you quit before they fire you. Management was not the best here due to the difficulty to convey opinions. My co-workers are what made the job semi-enjoyable. The hardest part of the job had to be the mental strain that it can take...being in school and already dealing with that stress, and then the people that you have to deal with on the phone will take it's toll.
Pros
no dress code, schedule was workable with school.
Cons
cutting of hours randomly, not enough support given to make employees want to stay there
• Responsible for the overall layout design, color scheme of the web site using XHTML and CSS. Created detailed wire frames & process flows. • Intera
Web UI Developer (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAOctober 26, 2012
 7+ years of Developing Experience with HTML, DOM, DHTML, XHTML, CSS.
 Experienced in JavaScript frameworks like Jquery, etc.
 Extensively used XML, XSL, XSLT and AJAX to link with back end scripting applications
 Strong experience with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) principles and Cross Browser Compatibility issues, graphic optimization for the web, including browser-safe palettes and file size management
 Strong communication, problem-solving, organizing and planning skills, with ability to work independently or in a team environment. High attention to detail and pixel perfect, self-motivated, and very dependable.
Busy work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 17, 2013
I would take anywhere from 70-150 calls per day, just depending on the day and the call volume. Although we were busy most of the time the job did make time for fun events and reward us for our quality monitoring scores and the amount of calls we would handle. We were also recognized and rewarded for the customer satisfaction surveys that our customers would participate in. We did have a high turn over rate so in my 3 years of being there I saw a lot of co-workers come and go.
Pros
rewards, benefits and paid time off we could earn as a bonus
Cons
always busy, a lot of disgruntled customers around the holidays
Horrible management poor processes
Marketing Peon (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJune 14, 2014
I worked in one of the departments curently undergoing "pain points". During that time I had 3 managers, none of which knew or understood exactly what I did nor wanted to know.

Because there was no one who understood my role I had to train myself. This is OK if you have some experience in your role and know what you should be doing, but I've seen this happen accross the board in my department and others which leaves junior members essentially flapping on the shoreline like fish out of water.

Career opportunities are abysmal. Even as you take on more responsibility, get more successes and achievements under your belt you will not be rewarded for them unless you threaten to quit. Starting pay is OK as long as you negotiate properly and you MUST.

The work/life balance is pretty bad for most but there are a few positions with nothing to do except be on Facebook all day. If you're one of the former then expect to consistently work 60 hour work weeks, except several times out of the year where you will work 100 hours a week during a major release. This is no exageration!

Because the site architecture is so outdated and management tries to push things quickly through to be reactionary without properly analyzing data. This means that more often than not, those projects you spent 100+ hours on a week and caused your friends and family to forget what you look like will end up failing or be abandoned.
If you point out potential risks or issues before they happen then you will get your wrist slap and be told that it isn't your job to worry about such things. When those problems surface
  more... you will be expected to solve them as they happen and then will get your wrist slap again for not anticipating this problem.

Senior management isn't helpful. In recent all-hands meetings CEO has blamed business problems on the non-managers and has admitted that he's all out of ideas. It's not unheard of to have entire departments individual goals based on a 10-minute reactionary brain-storming session and the results end up putting an unnecessary burden on other departments.

All in all I would say work here if you are new in your career and want to learn some things FAST. Also work here if you just want a job where you can get away with C effort. If you're not already at a director or SVP manager and hope someday to get there, then look elsewhere.
Pros
free bagels on friday, good co-workers although there has been high turnover recently.
Cons
high turnover, no career progression, substandard pay, still don't understand what drives the buisiness
Detail and family oriented
CSS1 (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 14, 2014
Art.com is a very family oriented, not only with employee's families but as a family of co-workers. This company gives employees every opportunity to succeed by offering training programs and incentives. Everyone from management to customer service and sales representatives work closely together creating a wonderful working environment of support.
it was okay working there.
Picker and Packer (Former Employee) –  Lockbourne, OHMay 5, 2015
Not an organize atmosphere. The people there was sometimes nice. It's very physical work and very demanding. Be prepared to stand long period of hours,
Easy and laid back work place.
ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 12, 2015
Productive and fun workplace with Foosball table in break room, not a lot of hours available. Only getting as few as 6 hours of work monday through friday.
Very exciting and fast pased job, constantly changing.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 14, 2012
Work usually started at 9:00am, lots of calls come in as far as customers checking the status of previous orders.Many customers need to place orders,it was also my job to do so.The managers explained to the best of their knowledge about the problems that might arise.
Pros
great benefits, wonderful people to work with.
Cons
can be very confusing asking for help.
Great place to work, Little Pay
Customer Service and Sales (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 9, 2014
Management is great within the company, they have created a non stressful, and family oriented environment. However the pay is pretty bad.
Pros
free lunches, great people!!
Cons
low pay
Productive fun place to work.
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHMarch 10, 2015
I had fun working here seeing all the different photographs and pieces of art. Great people and good work environment. They let you use headphones so you can really enjoy your work while being productive.
Awesome Company!
Project Manager, .NET/ASP Programmer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 31, 2012
An amazing experience and a great place to work. Working for an internet company---how fun is that? The pay, benefits, etc. were on-line or above industry average. The people I met I will be friends with for life.
Pros
excellent work environment, plenty of reduced framed items, great people
Productive fast pace enviroment
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 16, 2014
very busy and some days not so buy
learned how to drive a forklift
management was strict
co workers wee friendly
hardest part was the holiday season
most enjoyable part was the co workers
Pros
free coffee
Cons
short breaks
it a cool place
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  cary north carolinaNovember 18, 2014
I had to answer phone and listening to people complain about their phone bill. I also had to trouble shoot their phones. I really didn't talk to people a lot there but I met some cool friends. The hardest part working there if I couldn't fix their phone over the phone and they had to take it in the store. the most enjoyable part of the job was a nice pay check
Pros
nice pay check
Cons
short breaks
I love working and I truly miss working. I enjoy meeting new faces and enjoy working with other and my Family and Friends.
Pulling Special order / desk job (Former Employee) –  Lockbourne, OHSeptember 2, 2014
Expressing opinions without offending and Following procedures and instructions would be a typical day at work and hardest part of job. What I learn to have an eye for detail in stock of quality and damage. As will in picking / packing a order. Managing people ~ Keeping myself motivating and appropriate information sources by listening and most enjoyable love working.
I work for a pretty good company as a whole
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 28, 2014
The company I work for is a great company. I just find absolutely no satisfaction from doing the job. I need more. I need a sense of accomplishment after I complete or while working. This is just not something I can achieve here.
n/a
packer (Former Employee) –  Lockbourne, OHJanuary 8, 2015
I would go to work every day knowing what to expect, and what to do. I enjoyed the environment and task that were at hand. I was paid a reasonable amount and got along great with my co workers.