Arthur J Gallagher & Co Employee Reviews in United States

Simply a job, nothing more...
Client Service Associate (Former Employee) –  IowaJanuary 30, 2016
I worked for this company for almost 2 years. The only positive thing about this place was the majority of my co-workers. The culture of this place is disgusting and most of the workers are miserable unless you're one of the producers making tons of money on sales. The account managers were severely over worked, underpaid and mistreated. There is pretty much no room for advancement whatsoever. I have never been so depressed in my life as I was the last 6 months at this miserable job. Glad to have left it behind recently. Stay away!!
Pros
Co-Workers, occasional free food
Cons
Expensive/high deductible healthcare plans, micromanagement, high turn over rates, little to no training, constantly changing systems, etc.
Mis-management- Stay away
UW/Broker (Former Employee) –  West CoastApril 4, 2016
I worked as an uw/broker on west coast in a small satellite office. Home office to west coast out of Scottsdale and everyone on west coast reports to the same boss in Scottsdale. She is out of touch with the satellite offices. The support is not there and she relies too much on the person who has been at that office the longest to be her eyes and ears, even though they are not in management. This person was dishonest and did not report truthful information to our boss. This was due to insecurity, felt threatened, ego, negative attitude, a miserable person in general. Horrible to work with and no support from boss or HR.
Pros
Cons
Negativity, Dishonesty, No Support from Boss or HR
Great Place to Work
Client Representative (Current Employee) –  Westchester, ILMarch 21, 2016
AJG great place to work. Management is great and very supportive as well as co-workers. The benefits are great, alot of perks working for AJG.
Cons
Too far
Run far away!
Senior Adjuster (Former Employee) –  St Louis MOJune 7, 2015
i worked here for several years. At first, it was a great place to work. Claim counts rose from about 130 to 150 and are now over 200 unless you are a favorite. Top management spends a lot of time thinking of ways to make it even worse. Instead of making things easier, they think of ways to add to your workload that are complete time wasters. No real raise in six years, unless you count a 1% raise once as a real raise. Thankless and soul sucking place to work. Even working from home was not enough to keep me there. All I did was work 10-12 hours per day. They say you work a 35 hour week. I never did and it was always my fault for working hard but not smart. At least my new employer appreciates me!
Pros
None that I can think of.
Cons
Micromanging management, including reading your email to tell you how poorly you are keeping up!
Insurance Company with growing pains
IT (Former Employee) –  Itasca IlJanuary 14, 2016
Good work life balance. Limited Career Paths. Small onsite workout facility. Cramped office. Leading company in it's field.
No advancement, horrible benefits and poor management
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 2, 2016
No room for growth even when told growth was availabke. They hold 401k employer contributions until end of the year so if you resign in the middle of a year, you don't get any 401k employer contributions. Pays below average with other brokers and refuse to hire more staff. Management poor and favors younger employees. Acquire a lot of companies but don't give back to employees.
Pros
Casual dress code
Cons
Low pay, horrible benefits, poor managment, overwork employees
Excellent employer. All issues have been on the table for all to see
Office Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2016
All people here are very well educated and most all have a vey keen sense of humor. Management is open, compromising and will hear all slides of an issue before jumping to conclusions. Co workers are very well adjusted, however, pay is an issue in some cases, but not in mine.
I have not heard a cross word spoken in the five years I have been at this specific location.
Great Company
Broker Placement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 23, 2016
Sit all day doing policy checks, lots of paperwork, lots of research and figuring out where discrepancies came from.
Learned how to create proposals from scratch.
Management seemed to really care.
Co-workers were excellent at explaining things and helping me learn and grow.
Making sure to not miss any details.
All of the paperwork!
Pros
They don't micro-manage
Cons
only high deductible health plans
A lot of finger pointing and lack of guidance
Lead IDM .Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILApril 13, 2016
Have been on a contract position there and so far have loved the team I was working with. The only thing is that I am rather new to the IDM world and the application they were using for their identity management.

There has been 0 guidance since day one. The fellow engineer who was supposed to train me doesn't know how to train. The one that does know doesn't share information well and if you ask too many questions you get berated by the manager.
run away
P&C (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 24, 2016
the pay does not make up for the lack of leadership and direction. Nothing is done ethically. Unlicensed employees are checking client policies. morale is lacking. co-workers are ok for the most part. Some are the "pets" of management. It's like walking into the hunger games everyday. Agents belittle staff. Management belittles staff. do not sell your soul for more $$.
Very Demanding
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 15, 2016
For an 8 hour days with of work, we are expected to do a lot of task. For example we have to answer emails that go into our general email. We also have to answer the phones and help customer with any questions or on line issues they are having. In addition we have to do our accounting job which includes AP and AR.
Stable but no salary increase
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILFebruary 26, 2015
If you want a stable job, decent benefits, starting salary then this company is for you. If you want to learn, grown, advance and while doing that increase your salary, well....steer clear of this organization the! You will not be there for more than a few years if you don't advance/get pay increases. I was in the same job for almost 8 years, and only received cost of living adjustments. Management has no communication skills, especially the executives, no loyalty to long term employees and talk out of both sides of their mouth when challenged. Sales producers and especially interns get all of the treatment. Special treatment always go to those who make more money for the company than those who don't. Bark loud enough to the higher ups, you will always get your way if you are on the sales side.
Pros
stable, decent benefits
Cons
no raises opportunity to advance.
Great Company
Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2016
A great ethical company that has a throwback seller's mentality at bringing in new business. Management seems to truly care about a person's success in the company but at the end of the day only really cares about one thing: money.
Pros
Strong connections and network
Cons
Integration among different branches needs improvement
Good People/Fractured Management
Management (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 18, 2015
Great people, professional, hard working who want to do their best. But divisions within the company between corporate, field claims management, account management, and sales means you are often working against each other and are at odds as opposed to working together.
Poor management style where it is so micromanaged and controlled having to go through a series of people to get to one minor decision. It is a constant game of pass the message, you send to your supervisor, supervisor to manager, manager to AVP, AVP to VP, VP and decision maker rule and then it goes down through each level yet again. The original message is quite often diluted or completely changed by the time the answer comes back and the amount of time spent to get all of those people to respond makes for no efficiency.
Management seems unwilling or afraid to actually get the unfiltered, non politically correct thoughts and opinions of those actually doing the day to day work.
Pros
Good people, great clients
Cons
Overworked, Fractured communication and micromanagement
Terrible team environment
Prior ee (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 7, 2015
Management can use training courses. They only care about their favorite ee's. Raises are few and far between and mostly gauged at favorites.
Fraternization in Management and ee's who are married. No room for advancement. Small office, poor ee conditions such as terrible broken chairs to work in. If the click does not like you there, they will get rid of you. They have more control over the way the office is run than local HR.
Home office MGMT visits have no consequence. They expect to put all ee's in a room. And speak freely in front of each other. There will be retaliation and nothing is considered about this even through private requests to meet one on one.
Pros
there are no pros with this company
Cons
everything about it, your fate is at the hands of the ee's. not your abilities.
Great Environment
Revenue Accountant (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILJanuary 5, 2016
Great Environment and work life balance. you have to adopt to learn on your own. getting access to system quickly is an issue.
Flexible
Underwriting Consultant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 22, 2016
Flexible work schedules. However, for a Fortune 500 company, the benefits have been dwindling, expensive for minimal care. Their wellness program also doesn't give good incentives compared to other companies.
Professional work environment
Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 18, 2016
Working alongside Property and Casualty professionals on prospecting, customer relationship, account management, and risk management.
Horrible place to work!
Former Captive Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 6, 2014
Don't work for this company unless you've been out of work for two years or more and are extremely desperate! This place is filled with employees close to management who will report you for the slightest thing (taking too long a break, being on the internet) and managers who treat various employees differently.

Your opinions are not taken into consideration, pay raises are few and far between, the pay isn't that great to begin with and every day is more depressing than the last!

You've been warned!
Pros
easy location that goes against the flow of traffic
Cons
medicore pay, little chance of advancement, lots of office politics and micromanaging
Don't step foot into this company
account rep (Former Employee) –  northeastern usFebruary 15, 2015
HORRIBLE

tolerated it for 8+ years but enough was enough. I was an account manager and had to put up with insane producers who would throw you under the bus whenever they could. Management - what there was of it - never backed up the reps and producers were worshipped. All management cared about was $$$$ - new biz - not caring we were keeping all the new biz with our account management. Raises were a joke or non existent. You were looked down upon if you didn't work 80 hours a week.

We were told if you don't like it - leave. So I did.
THANK GOD!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arthur J Gallagher & Co. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7