Arthur J Gallagher & Co Employee Reviews

Simply a job, nothing more...
Client Service Associate (Former Employee) –  IowaJanuary 30, 2016
I worked for this company for almost 2 years. The only positive thing about this place was the majority of my co-workers. The culture of this place is disgusting and most of the workers are miserable unless you're one of the producers making tons of money on sales. The account managers were severely over worked, underpaid and mistreated. There is pretty much no room for advancement whatsoever. I have never been so depressed in my life as I was the last 6 months at this miserable job. Glad to have left it behind recently. Stay away!!
Pros
Co-Workers, occasional free food
Cons
Expensive/high deductible healthcare plans, micromanagement, high turn over rates, little to no training, constantly changing systems, etc.
Great Company
Broker Placement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 23, 2016
Sit all day doing policy checks, lots of paperwork, lots of research and figuring out where discrepancies came from.
Learned how to create proposals from scratch.
Management seemed to really care.
Co-workers were excellent at explaining things and helping me learn and grow.
Making sure to not miss any details.
All of the paperwork!
Pros
They don't micro-manage
Cons
only high deductible health plans
Insurance Company with growing pains
IT (Former Employee) –  Itasca IlJanuary 14, 2016
Good work life balance. Limited Career Paths. Small onsite workout facility. Cramped office. Leading company in it's field.
Great Environment
Revenue Accountant (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILJanuary 5, 2016
Great Environment and work life balance. you have to adopt to learn on your own. getting access to system quickly is an issue.
Okay Place to Work
Producer (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 4, 2016
Learned some great skills, not the best culture, some decent people, not the best training though. Lack of job training was the main negative.
Great Work Environment
Corporate Intern - Accounting (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILDecember 2, 2015
Everyone I met there was very nice and helped me out a lot. It is a great environment and very laid back. The people are great.
Strict Environment
Client Service Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2015
At Arthur J. Gallagher, there is little room for growth or employee recognition despite it being a 23,000 life company.
Great Job - Challenging Position
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 18, 2015
Recruited by Gallagher for the marketing of middle market to large commercial accounts with specialty expertise in higher education and construction.

Collect the appropriate information necessary for the quoting process from the client (new or renewal), prepare the submission to be sent to the carriers, email submissions to the carriers. Follow up, communicate & negotiate premium with underwriters. Prepare formal proposal to the client.

Produce New Business, in addition to my marketing role, I also produced new business, binding over 1M in new account premium.
Pros
Developing client & agency relationships, the negotiation process, mentoring less experienced employees.
Cons
Laid off when the agency principles who hired me left Gallagher with their book of business.
productive environment
Senior Claims Advocate (Current Employee) –  Short Hills, NJNovember 14, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting customers objectives as well as working alongside and collaborating my colleagues to form an efficient team.
Great team atmosphere to work in
Senior Loss Control Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLNovember 3, 2015
Great learning experience from the loss control perspective. All team members bring a different skill set where ideas can be bounced back and forth.

Want to know more about Arthur J Gallagher & Co?

Ask a question
Good People/Fractured Management
Management (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 18, 2015
Great people, professional, hard working who want to do their best. But divisions within the company between corporate, field claims management, account management, and sales means you are often working against each other and are at odds as opposed to working together.
Poor management style where it is so micromanaged and controlled having to go through a series of people to get to one minor decision. It is a constant game of pass the message, you send to your supervisor, supervisor to manager, manager to AVP, AVP to VP, VP and decision maker rule and then it goes down through each level yet again. The original message is quite often diluted or completely changed by the time the answer comes back and the amount of time spent to get all of those people to respond makes for no efficiency.
Management seems unwilling or afraid to actually get the unfiltered, non politically correct thoughts and opinions of those actually doing the day to day work.
Pros
Good people, great clients
Cons
Overworked, Fractured communication and micromanagement
Average work environment
PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILSeptember 23, 2015
Company is doing well, load a lot of work onto employees who are underpaid. Advancement opportunities minimal. Fair amount of turnover in my department.
Good people, stressful environment
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 18, 2015
There were highs and lows just like any other company. There were some outstanding people and some really unethical, ungrateful people just like any other company.
Low Morale
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Whippany, NJSeptember 12, 2015
I was part of an acquisition and I am currently disappointed with the outcome. What keeps me looking forward going into work are my co-workers. We are group of team oriented people. Currently the commute is the hardest part. We moved to a new locaton and it is not only far, but the traffic. I feel like my life is being taken over by my commute.
Unorganized/ No Training in place
Client Service Associate Senior (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 19, 2015
I took the job offer at this company thinking it was a great opportunity. Nonetheless, it's been a very frustrating transition. There is no real training in place. You constantly have to ask people to help and they seem too busy to sit with you and help.
Pros
Nice People, but always seem to be very busy to help
Cons
lack of training in place makes it difficult to learn the systems and job
Great place to work and dedicated teams
Client Service Associate Senior (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILAugust 11, 2015
I enjoy working at AJG. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the insureds and assisting them on a daily basis with their insurance coverage questions.
Productive workplace
Accounts Payable/Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILJuly 28, 2015
Arthur J Gallagher Co. culture is great and provides employee's with a supportive environment. I quickly learned how to adapt in a results-driven environment.
Great Introduction to the Insurance Industry
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CAJune 29, 2015
Customer service based, answering emails and calls in a timely fashion. Progressing policies along at their renewals.

Co-workers and managers were extremely patient and uplifting. Helped teach me about the insurance industry.

The hardest part of the job was that the daily routine had very little diversity, the best part was working with other people and customers.
Pros
All the insurance training you can ask for.
Cons
repetitive
Run far away!
Senior Adjuster (Former Employee) –  St Louis MOJune 7, 2015
i worked here for several years. At first, it was a great place to work. Claim counts rose from about 130 to 150 and are now over 200 unless you are a favorite. Top management spends a lot of time thinking of ways to make it even worse. Instead of making things easier, they think of ways to add to your workload that are complete time wasters. No real raise in six years, unless you count a 1% raise once as a real raise. Thankless and soul sucking place to work. Even working from home was not enough to keep me there. All I did was work 10-12 hours per day. They say you work a 35 hour week. I never did and it was always my fault for working hard but not smart. At least my new employer appreciates me!
Pros
None that I can think of.
Cons
Micromanging management, including reading your email to tell you how poorly you are keeping up!
Good Brokerage with excellent talent pool
OCIP Senior Safety Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLApril 21, 2015
Good insurance brokerage firm with outstanding talent pool. Autonomous working relationship with managers which promotes an excellent environment for persons of extraordinary talent.