Arthur J. Gallagher & Co

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co Employee Reviews

Great growth oriented company, but not in the mid-Atlantic where I worked. Just not enough critical mass yet in the East.
Area Senior Vice President (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 1, 2015
Pros: strong corporate culture
Cons: poor management in mid-atlantic
Good, strong corporate culture, more like a big family than a big publicly traded company. Poor local and regional management.
It's a fun workplace, very prestigious
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Glendale, CAFebruary 19, 2014
Rewarding work, excellent teamwork, has good benefits, management exercises fairness in the workplace
Good learning experience for those in the brokerage indusrty.
Production Associate/Account Executive (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 30, 2014
Ability to communicate with upper management very easily.
Never got a raise, no room for growth
Receptionist/mail clerk (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 16, 2012
Pros: close to home, good pay and benefits
Cons: no room for growth, never got a raise, did the job of 3 people
got too work and had two computer screens, management pushed you to do the work of two or more people, I learned about insurance coverage, my co workers were nice. Lunch was the most enjoyable part of the job.
promoted health and offered gym memberships one on the first floor of our building
Administrative Assistant/Contract Coordinator (Former Employee), Greenville, SCApril 19, 2012
Pros: great christmas trips to many different resorts, free gym membership
Cons: as a small branch office, employees at times were over extended with work
TYPICAL DAY AT WORK

I would be one of the first employees to arrive in our department. I would turn on the lights and equipment and get the coffee ready. I would plan my work for the day by priority before phones started ringing. Once regular business hours began I made calls to different state Insurance Departments to get information/forms needed to complete procedures for agent/agency licensing to be processed in those particular states. With time differences in the 50 states I kept notes what time to contact various departments of insurance. I set up meetings for the staff of three offices, took dictation from the Area Chairman, typed correspondance, compiled reports, filled in on swithboard at receptionist breaks and lunch. I did all department filing and took inventory so all office supplies were available and adjusted my schedule as client calls came in to service their needs personally or refer them to appropriate employee.

WHAT I LEARNED

Gallagher promotes continued education and supported my state licencing and many other appropriate licenses, including paying for attending courses to obtain continuing education credits. My supervisor encouraged me to get involved with the Greenville Association of Insurance Women where I served several terms as head of the Education and Legislation committees. Through GAIW, I learned even competative employees within the same company and those working for competative companies can find common ground to build friendships and share valuable ideas within the industry.

MANAGEMENT

Management was generally great. They rewarded hard – more... work and success. They awarded Employee of the Quarter, Employee of the Year, and sponsored company events to make us more of a family.
On my 10 year anniversary I received an award from the CEO of Gallagher Corporate Headquarters.

CO-WORKERS

We were all busy and at time stressed. There were times the co-workers felt some were working harder than others. I planned events to experience fun times with each other which made it easier to deal with each other in the difficult times.

HARDEST PART OF JOB

The hardest part was priorities. Working for several agents, the Area Vice President, and the Area Chairman, each thought their need should come first. I would go to my direct supervisor for her to determine what needed to be addressed first. I was then able to let the others know the priority of my work for our department that day and when they could expect their project done.

THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB

Making friendships with clients and co-workers and being able serve their needs with the excellence they expected from me. I met my best friend at Gallagher, and although I live in FL now and she is in SC, we still stay in touch via phone and e-mail after over 11 years of working together. – less
Non-Smoking environment, enjoyed outdoors eating area
Claim Representative (Former Employee), Greensburg, PAMarch 16, 2012
Pros: location, free parking, business casual
Cons: no cons
Commitment to employee development by means of various training programs and workshops