Arthur J. Gallagher

Arthur J. Gallagher Employer Reviews

Stay Away!!!!!!!!
IT (Former Employee), ItascaMarch 12, 2014
Pros: fair compensation
Cons: very poor and unprofessional management!
Very poor management. Backstabbers, micro management and very very unprofessional. Not a good place to work.
Great work place with great people
Technical Assistant (Current Employee), Itasca, ILMarch 11, 2014
Pros: great people to work with and the company is great.
Cons: distance
A typical day at work consists of the follow:

I enter work and check my emails. I sort out the urgent requests and process them first. I try to get all of the certificates out of the way first since they are priority for our clients. After thats completed I process my endorsements and invoicing. If all completed I move onto any projects that might – more... have been given to me to complete. I do a lot of excel spreadsheet work for the account managers. If we have meetings that need proposal binders done I complete those by printing them out and putting them in a 3 ring binder. I scan documents at the end of my day if everything is completed. If I still have work left over at the end of the day then it gets done first thing in the morning. Co-workers and boss are very friendly and we are always helping each other make the day go quicker by laughing and helping each other out if in a bind. – less
Gossip and Nepotism
Workers Comp Adjuster (Former Employee), Miramar, FLMarch 6, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: management influenced and controlled by kiss up employees. low pay
The Miramar, FL office is filled with excessive gossipers, clicks, loud noisy co-workers, backstabbers, and nepotism. I was floored by the conduct of employees at this location. Management would not get involved, being that several employees knew how to skillfully kiss up to management and the VP and they fell for it. You also need to be bilingual to – more... fit in, if you're not, you're set aside. Once you're no longer working there, the so called friends cut off contact. – less
Bad management @ maple grove location!
Claims (Former Employee), Maple Grove MnFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: it's was a job until i found something else
Cons: branch manager
Favortism, discrimination, if your not a family member or a friend of a friend you are a nobody an treated that way. Left as fast as I could, BIG OVERTURN!
Quality company to work for with great people
Market Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2014
Professional atmosphere, smart/dedicated people, top priority is client service/satisfaction and delivers an excellent product
Not for me.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Plattenville, LAFebruary 4, 2014
A very tense environment between employees and very "clicky".
Micro-managed and poorly trained
Underwriter Assistant (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZDecember 26, 2013
Pros: compensation/benefits
Cons: not a good atmosphere; overwork their employees; micro-managed
Poor management; poor training; and extremely micro-managed. Manager of UA's is extremely unprofessional; relies on other employees to train who are not equipped to do so. Spends a LOT of time watching each team member's performance; has favorites. Job culture is poor - morale is low.
Great scheduling and compensation
Enterprise Support Desk Analyst (Current Employee), Itasca, ILNovember 7, 2013
It's your typical help desk position along with learning and working with new programs/software specified to this particular company. My co-workers are helpful and great people to be around in and out of the work place. There really is no hard part to the job, more so frustrating with some things as in any other help desk job while troubleshooting. – more... the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make someones day by fixing a stressful problem that an end-user is having. Another enjoyable part is being able to easily speak with other managers and get advice on what you can study on your personal time to advance in the IT field. – less
No growth for women
Account Manager (Former Employee), HoustonJuly 29, 2013
Pros: friendly lower management
Cons: gender preferences apparent
Women are hired to be secretaries and nothing else. The people at my level were very friendly and smart but management would not promote women.
Independence in the work place
CLAIMS ADMINISTRATOR/STAFF ATTORNEY (Former Employee), Braintree, MAApril 21, 2013
Enjoyed working directly with the client. Pleasant workplace.
If you like walking on eggshells
IT (Former Employee), ItascaApril 13, 2013
Pros: the company is profitable
Cons: political constant reorg no training treat people poorly
I spent six years there enjoyed at first. Over the years the org chart and management changed every few months. They hire manament from outside and rarely promote from within. Training is poor and managers are insane and micro manage. They ll use you then chew you up and spit you out. Each org restructure you loose all your time and seniority. They – more... pretend your new and starting from scratch rather than respect ypur knowlege and experience. I saw top talent walking out the door weekly. Thats why they need all consultants rather than direct hires. I needed to work remotely which was common practice in my dept. My car was broke and I showed proof of all the work accomplished. A very common practice and many did same. But this mgr counted it as an occurance. This manager had no common sense and treated people like kindergartners. She d write me up every other week for silly things. One time I carried my laptop shoulder bag into morning meeting. She informed me to leave my things at my desk. However in same meeting one of the original owners of the company always walked in with briefcase in hand. IF U LIKE WALKING ON EGGSHELLS join the AJG IT team. – less

Carmeline – May 8, 2013

Sounds like you were just a "$" sign or a "number" to the Company. I hate companies that don't value their employees for who they are and what they contribute. Low morale flows down from the top just as positive environments can flow down.

Unstable Workplace, stay away
Surety Underwriter (Former Employee), Crystal Lake, ILApril 11, 2013
Cons: poor management
Small branch office, little or no support from corporate headquarters. Great employees; however the morale within the office is very poor due to Branch Mgr. - lack of anger management skills, nepotism.
Excellent Place to work
Manager (Current Employee), TexasMarch 13, 2013
Pros: compensation, benefits
Cons: same as any job
AJG is a wonderful place to work. For the 2nd year in a row AJG is the ONE and ONLY broker named to Ethisphere's World's Most Ethical Companies. I see a couple of negative reviews on here and I understand that every company this size can have some bad apples and therefore a bad manager, but as a whole this company truly wants its employees to succeed – more... and cares about you as a person. Like any job, you are going to get out of it what you put into it. – less
Busy, productive, and challenging
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee), Glendale, CAMarch 2, 2013
Learned about Agency Management System, and I believe this is more challenging than direct vendor payment.
Atlanta, GA
account mge (Former Employee), AtlantaFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: training, bad managers
I worked at this company for a little over a year. You were not allowed to have lunch or do anything with anyone but your group. If you know more than your manager they belittle you and treat you with no respect.
An average place to work
Commercial Lines Insurance Broker (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: short staffing
Arthur J. Gallagher is operating with short staff and employees suffer for it.
Work hard, play hard.
Client Relations Manager (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAFebruary 13, 2013
Ability to learn and grow in different areas of the company. Results focused environment. Management knows how to keep employees motivated during busy, stressful periods.
Very professional & ethical organization
Accounting Coordinator/Agency Accountant (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: benefits-medical, life ins
Cons: pay scale
Although, I was always busy and never bored while working at AJG, my position was not as challenging I would've liked. Fellow employees at all levels of the organization were pleasant and professional.
agree with "stay far away"
Sr. Claims Rep (Former Employee), SacramentoJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: 35 hour work week
Cons: management
After 7.5 years of working for this employer without ever being written up or having a bad yearly review I was fired without notice because of new management with a client who dictated who they wanted on their account. I was told there was no where in the office to move my job, which is a lie, I could have easily been switched with another employee/caseload.
Training – more... sucks, management sucks, especially in metro office, stay far far away from that office. There is tons of backstabbing especially with the manager. They will be nice to your face and then turn around and complain to your supervisor. Moral sucks since this manager came on board and there is high turnover in this office. – less

CJBugs – February 16, 2013

I was there almost 9 years with Top Talent Reviews. We went 5 years with only 2 raises and only those with top talent received increases. My major client which I handled since date of hire requested I become dedicated, so that tells you my experience level and dedication. After reporting to new management for less than 1 month, I was thrown out for the most bogus reason ever. This company will throw you under the bus with no hesitation. Do not go to the Aliso Viejo office unless you like to be micromanaged on a daily basis. You will hate working there as management sucks.

Great job
Account Executive (Current Employee), Quincy, MAOctober 10, 2012
Great place to work but compensation could be better for the amount of work/sales.