ARUP Laboratories

ARUP Laboratories Employer Reviews

Incredible company with incredible benefits
Client Services Representative (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityMarch 6, 2015
Pros: work environment, healthcare, wellness center, cafe, childcare
Cons: very high expectations, strict attendence policy
I love working for ARUP Laboratories. The environment is set up to promote wellness and health in employees and to encourage personal growth. The benefits are incredible and the offered perks include a free ARUP Health Clinic for ARUP employees and their spouse or dependents, a Wellness Center that has exercise equipment, coaches, workout sessions, and showers, an on-site cafe with an awesome selection of food, and an amazing childcare center that will watch an employee's children while they work. A typical day at work consisted of answering phones, resolving problems with clients, researching diagnostic tests, disclosing information to Health Departments, answering general questions and being the liaison between the client and laboratory personnel, and so much more. My management was amazing and supportive. My coworkers were generally plain awesome! The hardest part of the job was maintaining the incredibly high standards of ARUP's Client Services department. Yet the challenge was also both invigorating and enjoyable. If you are looking for an amazing company to work for with phenomenal benefits, ARUP is definitely worth looking in to!
I manage a phlebotomy and processing lab.
Phlebotomy Lead (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 23, 2014
Pros: good pay, good working environment, benefits.
Cons: short lunch, no pto
I have worked here at ARUP for four years and have been able to move up in the company. I have enjoyed working here. I work with a lot of fun coworkers and supervisors. I am still working to move up when I can.
Great place to work with outstanding employee benefits.
Senior Medical Technologist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 18, 2014
Pros: on site wellness center
Cons: some days were so busy it was hard to get breaks
My position at ARUP was demanding due to work volume and Senior Technologist responsibilites. It was also rewarding, as there are many opportunites to learn new skills and for career growth. My supervisor was always available to listen if I had problems or concerns about testing or instrumentation. ARUP holds it's employees to high standards. My coworkers and I were a team. We worked to get through the busiest days. I learned a lot about the testing we provided for the clients.
Short time
Referral Testing Technician I (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 3, 2014
I was employed at ARUP for about 9 months, I left for personal reasons that have nothing to do with the reflection of the company. The short time that I worked there it was great.
a fun place to work for
Compliance and Quality Systems Auditor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTNovember 23, 2014
It is a great company to work for with great benefits and amenities to employees and their direct families.

I had great management mentors where I learned a lot about quality work, customer service, patient care and client satisfaction.

working in this company was fun where we learn new things. My co-workers were very kind, helpful and we have a family type of relationship.

Hardest part of my job is lack of communication when new personnel are assigned in management , sometimes we are not aware of changes that are needed to do the job right. I believe that communication is an essential part of any job.

I enjoy challenges and learning new stuff that helps me advance in the workplace.
Best people ever!
Client Services Representative III/Trainer (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 23, 2014
Pros: free health clinic and wellness center (workout room w/trainers)
Cons: commute
This was the most comfortable and friendly work environment I have experienced. I had wonderful advancement opportunities, wonderful supervisors and trainers. My coworkers were wonderful. Their 5 pillars is something everyone tries to follow and I miss working for this company!!!!
Great place
Technologist 2 (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 14, 2014
i should have never left. great comapny, great management, career advancement.
Good benefits and exposure
Market Research Analyst II - Business Development (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 4, 2014
Pros: great health insurance
Cons: out of sync vision between business and lab divisions
Lack of investment in critical infrastructure and personnel.

Vision of upper management is not cohesive or consistent.
productive and fun workplace
Phlebotomist III (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 23, 2014
Performs routine and advanced venipuncture, capillary, and urine collections, in a variety of
Locations, by collecting high quality specimens in a timely manner, using established phlebotomy
Techniques, accurately labeling and properly handling specimens, promptly delivering specimens to
The testing section, performing computerized clerical duties necessary to document accurate
Specimen collection, audit, update, and retrieve data Performs laboratory bedside. Specializes in
Neonatal and pediatric
Great company
IT Data Architect I (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 8, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: inconsistent bonuses
Great company to work for and is very open to their employees and employee's needs and goals. The company is very much about life/work balance, which creates a stress-free work environment.
Company-Great, Department-AWFUL.
Phlebotomist/I'd rather not say the full title (Current Employee), U. HospitalFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: on site gym at main lab, free employee clinic, decent pay, tuition reimbursement
Cons: little to no breaks, management's failure to take action, parking at the hospital is terrible, poor training process often leads new hires to leave
I'm a current employee, actively trying to get out of the Phlebotomy and Support Services department. Several people have left the PSS department for other ARUP departments and the difference is night-and-day, from what I understand.
ARUP is a great company...wonderful benefits, etc.
But the Phlebotomy and Support Services department-total joke.
Management will not take action on anything in the department. If you report an issue, they offer you a transfer out of the department rather than fixing it. They embrace poor employees, with the excuse of 'the learning curve', while their good employees work their fingers to the bone to pick up the slack. There have been several safety violations I have noted while here, and still they stand. Nothing gets fixed. The attitude of most of the phlebs here are 'who cares?', unfortunately, and procedures are broken regularly. If you report a break in the department policy, it's because you are 'too sensitive'.
The main lab seems like it'd be amazing to work at. Gym, breaks to exercise, giveaways, clinic, etc. At the hospital you rarely get breaks, often running your entire 8-10 hour shift with no lunch, or even a 15 minute break. When you approach this issue, their reasoning is that 'breaks are not guaranteed'. There is no regard for employee wellbeing, phlebs are frequently burning out, and there are constantly open shifts, due to people finding better jobs, etc.
Phlebotomy and Support Services is a sinking ship...
fast paced medical laboratory
Arup laboratory Technician II (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: stressful
Store samples following strict guidelines for future use. Maintain and troubleshoot multiple machines used in the storage process. Check samples for any errors that would hold medical testing. Work by myself for long periods of time with goals that needed to be accomplished.
Great culture, great environment.
Genetics Clinical Specialist (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: culture, benefits
ARUP is a wonderful place to work. They value employees and support them in many ways. Benefits are very good.
Progressive, fast paced, and agile.
Senior Network & Systems Administrator (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 26, 2013
Pros: good stable work environment where a good job is always appreciated.
Cons: work/life balance is not where it should be. level of benefits could be better.
The environment here is fast paced, technical and demanding. Working in an environment where the results are critical to patient care makes creates an environment where what I do has an immediate, meaningful and direct impact. Knowing that if I fail in any of my areas of responsibility could directly impact a patient’s health or even life, creates a sense of responsibility that is difficult to find in an ordinary work environment. At the same time it brings a degree of fulfillment that is its own satisfaction. Most people have no idea what goes on behind the scenes of a medical laboratory that keeps data and critical patient information flowing at breakneck speeds or the nature of how critical that aspect of patient care is. There are no pats on the back when everything works well but if something goes wrong there is always a sense of urgency and a realization of what the impact can be.
Excellent working conditions
VET PATHOLIGIST ASST. - TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 12, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: low wages
It is a great company to work for. Great benefits and work environment. I learned a great many skills. Enjoyable place to work. Coworkers are very friendly.
Big place with awesome benefits
Medical Laboratory Technologist (ASCP) (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTNovember 12, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: big company
The most enjoyable part of work was whenever we got bonuses. The hardest part of work was that the company is too big. So often the great things you do to stand out as an employee are dismissed or are often missed by supervisors. I was lucky to have an amazing supervisor who did not micro-manage our lab. I learned that team work is very important.
Unmatched Benefits and Health Promoting Environment
Specimen Processing (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 3, 2013
Pros: healthy options in cafeteria, fruit friday's (free), on-site employee free clinic, on-site gym, variety of work hours/shifts
Cons: departmental managers
Great benefits, with work that is enjoyable. Management on the department level can be oppressive and sometimes goes unchecked.
ARUP Laboratories
ASM Technician I & 2 (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: raises, holiday bonus, watching ceu's while eating lunch on the clock, co-workers very nice, over-time, e-mails telling me i'm doing a good job
Working at ARUP I was always excited to go to work and sad that I had to leave.

I try to learn a new thing every week.
1. Takes responsibility for all samples coming off the sorters.

· For refrigerated and/or frozen samples, highlight in pink, sort as to lab or instrument and place in the appropriate areas in the refrigerators and freezers at the sorter area for laboratory pickup

· For samples that are marked as room temperature, deliver to the laboratory that performs the test

2. Takes responsibility for all samples going back on the track for storage.

· Loads samples on the track for storage in such a manner as not to overload the system

· Checks samples before they are placed on the track thus ensuring that the samples will not get caught in the modules or be sent to the reject lane

3. Stores samples in the AS/RS system, in automated and manual modes.

4. Become proficient in the use of Pathnet, ESP Checkout, ESP Storage, ESP RACS, APX GUI, and ESP Inquiry.

5. Learn to perform critical Biomedical engineering tasks.

6. Learn the basic mechanics of the AS/RS storage system and AutoLab track system.

7. Separates STC’s for the Specimen Processing Departments use.

8. Rotates between the North, Central, South, and West sorter as defined by workflow.

9. Maintains and clears the reject lane as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned.

Management was never there because we work night shifts but when they were there I couldn't wait to go home.

My co-workers was very nice and fun to work with. If they were having a bad day I would try and make them laugh. We would also hang out side of work to go eat after work, talk and hang out.

The hardest part of the job is when I did something wrong. I learn what I did wrong and learn how to do it right and make sure it won't happen again. Also crawling under the track.

The most enjoyable part of the job all of it. If I could go back I would. Best job I ever had.
Formerly good company, now mistreat front-line laboratory staff.
Senior Medical Technologist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 22, 2013
Cons: short breaks, weekend and overtime often required, very stressful and negative environment, possible osha violations.
Top heavy management combined with poorly trained supervisors results in a company that takes advantage of front line laboratory staff. Many former benefits have been removed due to new (as of 2010) top tier management. MT/MLT's are over-extended and over-worked.

They talk about values and core fundamentals, but the bottom line is that people are too overworked. Witch hunts are common yet employees are more likely to be punished or fired if the wrong person is offended.

Avoid this company if possible.
Great workplace.
R&D Technologist (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 15, 2013
Pros: free health clinic for my whole family and fitness center with personal trainers.
Working in research and clinical trials is very interesting. There are days that are incredibly busy and other days where things are in motion and are fairly calm. The management teams are organized and supportive. I enjoy when I create a test that works well and a validation is completed.

About ARUP Laboratories

The good folks at ARUP Laboratories don't grow pale at the sight of blood. The clinical reference lab performs tens of thousands – Read more

ARUP Laboratories Photos