ARUP Laboratories

ARUP Laboratories Employer Reviews

fast paced medical laboratory
Arup laboratory Technician II (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: stressful
Store samples following strict guidelines for future use. Maintain and troubleshoot multiple machines used in the storage process. Check samples for any errors that would hold medical testing. Work by myself for long periods of time with goals that needed to be accomplished.
Great culture, great environment.
Genetics Clinical Specialist (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: culture, benefits
ARUP is a wonderful place to work. They value employees and support them in many ways. Benefits are very good.
Progressive, fast paced, and agile.
Senior Network & Systems Administrator (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 26, 2013
Pros: good stable work environment where a good job is always appreciated.
Cons: work/life balance is not where it should be. level of benefits could be better.
The environment here is fast paced, technical and demanding. Working in an environment where the results are critical to patient care makes creates an environment where what I do has an immediate, meaningful and direct impact. Knowing that if I fail in any of my areas of responsibility could directly impact a patient’s health or even life, creates a – more... sense of responsibility that is difficult to find in an ordinary work environment. At the same time it brings a degree of fulfillment that is its own satisfaction. Most people have no idea what goes on behind the scenes of a medical laboratory that keeps data and critical patient information flowing at breakneck speeds or the nature of how critical that aspect of patient care is. There are no pats on the back when everything works well but if something goes wrong there is always a sense of urgency and a realization of what the impact can be. – less
Excellent working conditions
VET PATHOLIGIST ASST. - TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 12, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: low wages
It is a great company to work for. Great benefits and work environment. I learned a great many skills. Enjoyable place to work. Coworkers are very friendly.
Big place with awesome benefits
Medical Laboratory Technologist (ASCP) (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTNovember 12, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: big company
The most enjoyable part of work was whenever we got bonuses. The hardest part of work was that the company is too big. So often the great things you do to stand out as an employee are dismissed or are often missed by supervisors. I was lucky to have an amazing supervisor who did not micro-manage our lab. I learned that team work is very important.
Unmatched Benefits and Health Promoting Environment
Specimen Processing (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 3, 2013
Pros: healthy options in cafeteria, fruit friday's (free), on-site employee free clinic, on-site gym, variety of work hours/shifts
Cons: departmental managers
Great benefits, with work that is enjoyable. Management on the department level can be oppressive and sometimes goes unchecked.
ARUP Laboratories
ASM Technician I & 2 (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: raises, holiday bonus, watching ceu's while eating lunch on the clock, co-workers very nice, over-time, e-mails telling me i'm doing a good job
Working at ARUP I was always excited to go to work and sad that I had to leave.

I try to learn a new thing every week.
1. Takes responsibility for all samples coming off the sorters.

· For refrigerated and/or frozen samples, highlight in pink, sort as to lab or instrument and place in the appropriate areas in the refrigerators and freezers at the – more... sorter area for laboratory pickup

· For samples that are marked as room temperature, deliver to the laboratory that performs the test

2. Takes responsibility for all samples going back on the track for storage.

· Loads samples on the track for storage in such a manner as not to overload the system

· Checks samples before they are placed on the track thus ensuring that the samples will not get caught in the modules or be sent to the reject lane

3. Stores samples in the AS/RS system, in automated and manual modes.

4. Become proficient in the use of Pathnet, ESP Checkout, ESP Storage, ESP RACS, APX GUI, and ESP Inquiry.

5. Learn to perform critical Biomedical engineering tasks.

6. Learn the basic mechanics of the AS/RS storage system and AutoLab track system.

7. Separates STC’s for the Specimen Processing Departments use.

8. Rotates between the North, Central, South, and West sorter as defined by workflow.

9. Maintains and clears the reject lane as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned.

Management was never there because we work night shifts but when they were there I couldn't wait to go home.

My co-workers was very nice and fun to work with. If they were having a bad day I would try and make them laugh. We would also hang out side of work to go eat after work, talk and hang out.

The hardest part of the job is when I did something wrong. I learn what I did wrong and learn how to do it right and make sure it won't happen again. Also crawling under the track.

The most enjoyable part of the job all of it. If I could go back I would. Best job I ever had. – less
Formerly good company, now mistreat front-line laboratory staff.
Senior Medical Technologist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 22, 2013
Cons: short breaks, weekend and overtime often required, very stressful and negative environment, possible osha violations.
Top heavy management combined with poorly trained supervisors results in a company that takes advantage of front line laboratory staff. Many former benefits have been removed due to new (as of 2010) top tier management. MT/MLT's are over-extended and over-worked.

They talk about values and core fundamentals, but the bottom line is that people are too – more... overworked. Witch hunts are common yet employees are more likely to be punished or fired if the wrong person is offended.

Avoid this company if possible. – less
Great workplace.
R&D Technologist (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 15, 2013
Pros: free health clinic for my whole family and fitness center with personal trainers.
Working in research and clinical trials is very interesting. There are days that are incredibly busy and other days where things are in motion and are fairly calm. The management teams are organized and supportive. I enjoy when I create a test that works well and a validation is completed.
I've been here awhile so it's meh..
Lab Tech (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityJune 25, 2013
Pros: wellness center and benefits
Cons: pays very little for the work i have to do, huge lack of managment, seems like ceo cares more about profit then employees.
It used to be a good job until there was a huge lack of managment and HR went on a rampage to get rid of people.
Horrible culture with no desire to change
Somewhere in Business Development (Former Employee), Research ParkJune 7, 2013
Pros: cafeteria, views, location
Cons: culture of pettiness, immaturity, and conflict led by dreamers
ARUP has been touted as a great place to work, but that depends on the area of the business in which you land. On the Business Development side, senior management executed on ideas that were seconds old without planning or understanding the technology or market. Decisions were typically in conflict with other 'thought leaders' in the organization. Ideas – more... were not researched or well-planned prior to execution - resulting in wasted time, wasted money, failure, and finger pointing.

They had a general 'head in the sand' approach to things. Staff was unprofessional at best, and management supported and perpetuated this type of behavior, making it a near-hostile work environment. It's not what you know, but who has your back, and for me, that wasn't my manager, peers, or team. There were a few folks who were stellar employees, but they were neither recognized or rewarded as such. Pay was pretty low in comparison to the area, too.

FYI - software at ARUP is a 'value add-on' and not part of their core business or revenue, which is something to consider if you're in software development, product management, or biz dev. It's all about lab testing, which appeared to be a decent area to be a part of in the business. – less
An amazing place to work!
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 7, 2013
The culture is balanced and the people are great team players.
Was once a good company, now it's all about making money and the employees are very expendable
Medical Techologist (Former Employee), LabApril 25, 2013
Watch out. One mistake and you are fired without a second thought. A culture of gossip, backbiting and it's all about who you know in high places.
If they don't like you they will either force you to quit or fire you for something dumb
Ex-specimen processor who knows what goes on (Former Employee), Research park, Salt Lake City, utahApril 14, 2013
Pros: great health care
Cons: no room for advancement unless you know someone, targeting, retribution, lack of proper management, failure to escalate properly
A typical day in specimen process or sr as some of us know it by is mundane at best. You have to either be a mindless idiot or a complete work flow/supervisor pet(friend) in order to move up in the field. When it comes to management hr needs to be the ones who hire the new wfc's, trainers, and supervisors due to the fact who the supervisors are highering – more... are there friends or people who screw around or screw up all day while forcing people they don't like to be fired or quit. The retaliation policy is a sham in sr. When it comes to the coworkers it wouldn't matter because most don't last a year do to targeting of people for stupid things such as having one iPhone out listening to netflixs or that your shoes aren't the right brand and being fired for it without the proper escalation where as one of the friends of the higher ups can do the same thing and not get a talking to at least. The hardest part of being in sr is the fact unless you are friends with some higher up you won't move up. I have to say the most enjoyable part of the job is when you get to go home. As a whole the rest of the company is fairly decent, but in all honesty sr needs to be taking charge of by hr. – less
A large medical laboratory with growing pains
Research and Development Scientist (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 19, 2013
ARUP was once a highly-sought company for work for. Time coupled with a recession and management changes have turned the work environment into a less pleasant workplace. Although not unexpected, salaries have been stagnant and cost-of-living raises don't meet the cost-of-living. Productivity has been greatly increased with fewer staff members resulting – more... in reduced employee morale. The benefits remain solid & superior to the industry standard. – less
Used to be a great place--now is a soul-less corporation
Health Care Provider (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityDecember 27, 2012
Pros: work out room, clinic, childcare
Cons: questionable management ethics
Luckily I got the best years of ARUP. As of about 3 or 4 years ago when the original CEO left, and the economy tumbled, ARUP tumbled down, down, down.
Good for a student
Microbiology Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 23, 2012
Pros: nice co-workers, good benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons: doesn't have the best supervisors.
Great job for any student. The company has great benifites and its close to SLCC and the U.If your not going to be a MLT get in get through school and get out.
Great place to advance and make a difference
Curriculum Specialist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 7, 2012
ARUP is a company that is looking to improve just as much as you are. If you have ideas to make the company better, you will be appreciated, enabled and rewarded for your efforts. Awesome environment.
Good enviorment and job
Maintenance / Specimen Technician II (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 27, 2012
Pros: perks and benefits
Cons: low pay, can't move up the ladder
Great place to work, good people and okay pay, but very good benefits.

Graydon – April 7, 2013

Does anyone know what they pay the people who are hired on as a Technologist Trainee? I am looking at applying for one of these positions.

ARUP is a positive, healthy, and exciting place to work
Medical transcriptionist II (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJune 6, 2012
ARUP Laboratories is a great place. The focus is on overall well being and health. There are many opportunities for people to advance and continue their education.

About ARUP Laboratories

The good folks at ARUP Laboratories don't grow pale at the sight of blood. The clinical reference lab performs tens of thousands – Read more