ARUP Laboratories Employee Reviews in United States

Working here is fun and helps you develope whatever career you may choose to pursue.
SALES SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 24, 2016
Working at ARUP has been one of the best experiences of my life. This company is very focused on employee development and they want you to succeed and advance, even it it's not with them. I have been with them for about 2 years and have loved every moment of it. Although their pay is not great in comparison to like jobs their benefits are better than most. This company is a great place for anyone who's looking to gain some experience in the healthcare industry and provide for their family.
Mission driven
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 4, 2016
Many long-term employees gives credit to the value of the company's mission in improving healthcare, collaboration, education, and sharing of knowledge.
Pros
Outstanding leadership
Incredible working environment, management was so helpful.
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 26, 2016
25-45 calls per day dealing with doctors, nurses, and medical facilities. I learned to deal with high stress moments because patients needed results to help with diagnosis.
hardest part of the job was leaving the company.
Company is growing and is prepared for it.
Automated Specimen Management Technician Trainer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 20, 2016
Management in general is distracted from employee engagement and instead focuses too much on corporate initiatives. Employees tend to develop lazy work habits and form cliques. Rules, rules, and more rules added annually. Much of the time, you question your manager's ability to competently tell you how you ought to perform your job because of their lack of experience/time spent on the production floor.
Pros
Quarterly bonuses (if fiscally feasible)
Cons
When a few individuals have a problem following a procedure, the entire department usually suffers.
Excellent Benefits
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  LaboratoryApril 19, 2016
Great benefits. My department has a variable schedule and so the work life balance is tough. Is different in other labs where the schedule is 7on/7off or set. Short staffed in a lot of areas so workload is heavy. Coworkers vary from being great to lazy - Like anywhere you go. In my area management doesn't seem to support the staff or do anything about the lazy employees. Can be frustrating. In other areas of ARUP I have had great experiences. Where I am at now it is difficult, but I enjoy my co workers. My boss is great at allowing us time off when we request it.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Co workers, Management
Cons
Heavy workload, In my area no work life balance
Somewhat monotonous job working with good people
Specimen Processing Technician III (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 3, 2016
A typical work day in specimen processing usually consists of doing the same thing from day to day with minimal changes. There is always plenty to do and room for advancement within the department and the company as a whole. The management that I am currently under is fantastic and always available to talk to about any possible issues that come up. Within the department there are different positions that are available with the option to decide to work more independently or to help others do their job.
Great Company
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 31, 2016
It's been several years since I worked there, but ARUP had great benefits that extended beyond just insurance or retirement plans. They had an on-site health clinic for employees and their dependents. Employees had 24-hour access to an on-site wellness center. There were many opportunities for advancement. They partnered with a local university so Medical Technology students could complete their clinical rotations.
Medical reference laboratory
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 16, 2015
Good company for medical testing. I feel that they are more interested in the clients than the employees but they still provide good benefits and have a variety of open positions at all hours.
Pros
on-site cafeteria, on-site gym
Professional and friendly place to work
R&D Technologist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 8, 2015
Friendly and supportive management. Working with colleagues and learning from them is always fun. Typical day at work includes monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting. It gave me the opportunity to work with a team and helped me to understand the good collaborative work environment.
Great place for learning and advancing your career.
LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 3, 2015
I enjoyed my time working for ARUP Laboratories. They are willing to educate their employees and empower them to learn as much as is desired by the employees.

Want to know more about ARUP Laboratories?

Ask a question
great place to work
Phlebotomy Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 8, 2015
I loved working for ARUP. I think the only issue that needs to be fixed is work place harassment. I loved working with the patients. I loved my co workers. I really enjoyed being able to be all over the hospital and learn all kinds of new things daily.
Pros
Respect
Cons
Harassment
Good place to work but not flexible with schedules
Processing Technician II (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 21, 2015
Everyone I worked with at ARUP Laboratories was very nice. I never dreaded going to work because of a bad employee or supervisor. You can advance in this job if you get a Medical Technician degree. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with the very strict quota. Most enjoyable part of the job was the people. I learned a ton about pathology testing and research. A typical day in Specimen Receiving included sitting at a desk for approximately 8 hours processing specimens.
Pros
Good people, good management
Cons
Hard to advance, strict quota, lots of sitting, not flexible with schedules
Comprehensive Benefit Package, Many In-House Opportunities, Sanctioned by the University of Utah Department of Pathology
Technician I (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 10, 2015
Working night shift at ARUP was a great experience, and it helped me learn how an esoteric medical testing laboratory runs on a skeleton crew. As a pre-analytic technician, it was my duty to act as a buffer between the specimens coming in for testing and the actual testing bench. I would receive a wide range of specimens, evaluate their stability, process them, review testing orders, and perform many other tasks including analyzer maintenance and troubleshooting.

Testing included both manual and automated techniques, and I worked very closely with the testing bench every shift concerning workflow, analyzer function, lab work flow, results, and any other specific concerns. It was also my job to coordinate and collaborate to complete shared testing between multiple labs (within the company).

Worked very closely with co workers for ten hour shifts, although shifts were staggered. Got to know everyone very well and formed a tight night shift due to the low staffing volume.

The hardest part of the job was learning how different everything works at night than in the day. I was trained during a day shift, and had to adapt very quickly to the workflow and responsibilities of night shift.

The most enjoyable part was getting to know the patterns that make a laboratory run like a well-oiled machine. Laboratory science isn't often portrayed to the public in an accurate manner, but that knowledge has changed my understanding of patient care, and what it takes to get medical testing results into the right hands, and with a fast turn around time.
Stable company with great benefits
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 15, 2015
I really like working at ARUP. I felt is was a positive work environment and the benefits package was amazing. The company is stable and I felt secure in my job. I would recommend ARUP for prospective employees.
Pros
In house gym, day care, cafeteria
Cons
Large company so you don't also feel valued.
Great company, few downsides
Cycle Counter (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 6, 2015
Awesome incentives, a company that actually does pretty well on achieving their goals of making employees feel like they're cared for.
They may not have as many 'spectacular' or 'large' incentives that many other employers offer, but they're consistent and do really well on what they do offer.
Great bonuses, when they do happen, which can be infrequent.
Pros
Unbeatable healthcare, on-par pay, great bonuses
Cons
A bit lackluster
Fun Place to work
Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 29, 2015
Love my job. The staff is very friendly and always trying to help one another. Most people have worked with this company for upwards of 10 years or more.
Pros
Free onsite gym, trainer, clinic, medical staff and employee discount passes
Cons
Little room for advancement without degree
Great Lab, growing pains, culture changes
Employee (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 27, 2015
ARUP has rapidly grown into the third largest clinical lab in the US. The staff is excellent, and the rigorous adherence to quality is evident. You can't find a better place to work if you love lab science and cutting edge technology and techniques.

For a non-profit company, there is a strange emphasis and drive towards profits from the executives. So much so that in the last several years benefits have been scaled back, as well as staff. As a result, there is a growing feeling that too few are doing too much for too little.

ARUP is still an amazing place to work. It was probably top 3 in Utah 10 years ago, and it's probably closer to a top 100 now at best.
Pros
Benefits are still great
Cons
work life balance, burn out with too few resources
Arup
Specimen Processor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 17, 2015
Wonderful company to work for. Management truly cares about you and wants you to succeed and move up within the company. It's hard work; defiantly not for everyone. Some stressful days but your coworkers truly make your day. Benefits are beyond amazing and very laid back and understanding supervisors when it comes to your personal life.
Pros
benefits, move up quickly in the company
Cons
low pay
Great benefits, lack of advancement
Processing Technician II (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 15, 2015
Although the benefits are very good, political games are required if you really want to make any sort of advancement. Despite my high productivity, I couldn't get anywhere in the company because I didn't always agree with my managers.
l;kajsdfa;lksdjf
Lab Technologist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 29, 2015
While the culture at ARUP isn't what it used to be, it still is a great place to work. I felt like my immediate supervisor cared about me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ARUP Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

ARUP Laboratories Reviews by Location