Arvest Bank Employee Reviews

Politics with no life outside of work or advancement opportunities
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJuly 6, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of arriving to find that only one other co-workers behind the teller line actually was doing their job (there were six total tellers behind the line most of the time). Then, the request by management for you to work increasingly harder to pick up the slack for the others texting on phones, conversing in the back, playing games/surfing the web, or eating and drinking (non alcoholic) would begin. Other employees would not be accountable for their mistakes, and it was like working with a group of children.

Even if I worked at maximum efficiency, exceeded all personal sales goals, and did everything and then some in my job description, I would be pulled into an office and raked over the coals by management because I accidentally mispronounced a customer's last name (spelled similarly to qbsdiuhsudhsfoisdfosduhfsoid) or initialed a form 11 times instead of the mandated 12 times.

Management clearly played favorites with employees rather than being impartial leaders with the goals of keeping all employees focused on performing to the best of their abilities in a safe and serene work environment. If you did so much as breathe in the direction of a golden employee (and it was perceived as a slight), you would be called into the office by the manager playing favorites and be excoriated without any considerations of the circumstances or what actually transpired.

As someone, who was a model employee and was looking for advancement opportunities at Arvest, I was extremely disappointed about many things. Arvest claimed to have a desire to promote from
  more... within the company, but, every time I would look on LinkedIn, I would realize that they were consistently "welcoming new employee X acquired from company Y (not Arvest)". Additionally, the time it takes to get a promotion is INSANE! One of the tellers I worked with was on the teller line for EIGHT YEARS before getting a (well deserved) promotion. Yet another teller has been there for SEVEN years and is still on the teller line. Waiting close to a decade before advancing in the company is INSANE! They want to train someone to be the best teller and then keep them their indefinitely with tiny raises and a non-existent chance for promotion.

Finally, the contradictions of management were enough to make you go insane. Management would say things like "we want you to feel empowered to make decisions to help make the customer experience better" but then they will get mad at you if you do anything that they did not approve. Once I had an angry customer, and I decided to listen, look at his issue, and actually spend the time necessary to resolve his issue. Rather that getting a "thank you for going above and beyond to help this customer" or a "we appreciate that you could help that customer with his issues and calm him down when no one else could", I received an "in the future, you should never take that long to address a customer's concerns", "you should have sent their call to me", and "you need to go back and read your job description and re-complete some training." Management also said to meet employees from other branches to know your fellow employees and feel comfortable asking for help and collaborating to help customers. However, if you talk with another employee at another branch on the phone or via messaging and email, they will scold you for getting to know the other branch employees and for being friendly with them.

This job will pay the bills, but it will not lead to a career. You are only fooling yourself if you believe that the company actually cares about your happiness and success. While working there, I had a friend with a job as a waiter at a restaurant in the same city. He averaged $15/hr while the bank was barely paying above minimum wage. They ask a huge amount of work and responsibility out of their employees and expect to pay them barely above minimum wage, which is simply a disgrace considering that one of the richest men in the WORLD owns this bank and other competitors were offering $13/hr starting wages.

Caveat Emptor! You will not get what you bargained for when you accept a teller job at Arvest. It will be the seventh circle with hundreds of middle management Nero types waiting to play you a tune.
Pros
Cons
Extremely low wage, no advancement opportunity, management plays favorites/politics, lazy co-workers, and no rewards for hard work.
Consistent yet dull
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJanuary 29, 2014
I enjoyed this job very much during the first 3 months that I worked there. The staff was friendly, the mangers actually seemed to care about you and the pay was ok. The issue began when they started to implement several new policies. every week, there was a new "Arvest Law" as some of us called it. It also seemed as if some coworkers were overlooked when it came to enforcing these new policies. For instance, if we took a restroom break, we would get questioned if it took longer than 5 minutes, we were not allowed to have our phones out yet there were people who would leave their phones on their desks and never get noticed. I used my phone once and was "caught". I was told that I had to leave it in my car from that point on and I was even escorted out to my vehicle to make sure I left it out there. I was furious not because I needed my phone, but because I was the only one that was treated like some high school delinquent. All my coworkers thought it was funny that the managers went that far as to punish me for such a menial thing. I was embarrassed to find out that no one else had ever been put through that even though they had done worse. Even when I was "let go" the managers escorted me out and wouldn't let me return to my desk to retrieve my personal belongings (books, bag, pens, cups, trinkets). They insisted that they would mail everything to me. I agreed simply because I didn't want them to think I was resisting. I soon found that to be a mistake because they failed to return all my personal belongings. It was also nearly impossible to ask off for even a day unless it  more... was a Saturday. The managers originally told us that as long as we asked 2 weeks ahead, they would try to let us off. I would ask a month in advance and they still would deny my days off. I had 80 hours of paid time off built up because they never let me use it. Never again will I work for a company as dishonest and biased as Arvest Bank.  less
Pros
plenty of hours
Cons
high turn-over rate meaning more work and stress on each person, not very lenient with time off or vacation time.
My home for the last 7 years
Reconciliation Accountant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, AROctober 8, 2013
Arvest is a great place to work. While I have not worked in a department that lets you work chedules other than 8 to 5, the rule in my division is you can clock in up to 8:10 without an issue. You can take short or long lunches, or have appointments, and the supervisors are really flexible, as long as you work with them and get your 40 hours in. There are lots of Arvest locations, so you can likely find a job in the spot that is the most convenient for you. The chain of command tries to make it fun and add conveniences for the regular workers, there are lots of activities like fun meetings, picnics, blood drives, etc. The PTO policy is good; it adds up quickly and you don't have a "use by" date. You can accrue as much as you like and pretty much use it whenever you want. As a mother of two little ones, I have never had an issue leaving early to get a child or if I have to run something to school or want to volunteer.
They are quick to help you in your career, there are lots of opportunities to move around if you don't like the position you're in.
One thing I don't like is the pay scale, I feel it is industry low. Then over the last few years, they have revamped it several times and the scale keeps getting lower. Also I feel that it is hard to move to a higher paying position, as the managers tend to stick around. That's good for the people, not a lot of managerial turnover, however it's bad if you're wanting to move into a higher position. Another thing I don't care for is there seems to be something of a buddy system. If a manager has a position open, sometimes they give it
  more... to "who they know" rather than maybe who is actually the best person for the job. So they have the job posting open and waste everyone's time by interviewing everyone that is qualified for it, when they know going in, who they are going to hire.  less
Enjoyed working for Arvest until new management
Contact Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 10, 2014
I enjoyed working for the Arvest team in Tulsa until new management came in. When I started the manager was a great guy and the team worked well together however he was forced out and they brought in a branch manager (hence the reason I left) to fill his place. She did not know anything about working in a contact center and had to learn from the representatives and her supervisor crew. When she first arrived she held one on one meetings with us to "find out more about us and to see if there were any issues that needed to be addressed" however, we found out all too soon that that was not the real meaning behind the meetings. There is one supervisor that is, with lack of better words down right mean and moody so we told the new manager about her and how she treated everyone on the floor. When the new manager was there the second week she began to take the information that we offered and use it against us even going as far as to make some of us feel inferior no matter how well we did our jobs. The company proclaims to be "one big family" and that once you are an employee of Arvest you are family. This is not true unless you are one of their pets and never buck up against their ways even if their way is condescending or even immoral. I would like to say that it stopped there but it did not, HR is no better then the managers so going to them in "confidence" was a joke in its self. The co-workers ( the ones that toughed it out) were great and really stood behind one another and I would not trade the friendships that I made during the two years that I was there for anything. The regional  more... managers are out of touch so going to them with anything was also a joke. Would not recommend working for this company to anyone unless they enjoy back biting and being belittled.  less
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management, back biting
Was a great place to work until....
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 7, 2013
When I started I was a part-time FSR (did everything but loans) with no experience and left as Asst Manager. For all of the training that I got I am eternally grateful. I loved my co-workers at both branches I worked at except my last branch manager & regional manager. They are unfortunately a large part in why I no longer work for Arvest. We had individual & branch sales & referral goals for each quarter that we made into a friendly competition to help each other reach our goals.

A month after coming back to work after losing my daughter it was "strongly suggested" that I take a transfer that had already been decided on between the regional manager & my current manager. Since I didn't have a choice I took one of my employees promotion & they took my position. Once I got to the branch, the branch manager I was supposed to work with for 2 weeks before a new manager transferred in walked out due to a fight with the regional manager. I was left with a untrained staff. The staff went behind my back with every decision that I made to the regional manager (which I found out months later from one of the staff not a manager). There was several breaches in HR policies that I unfortunately did not report due to the on going stress of dealing with my daughter's death.

Ultimately the last 5 months that I worked for this bank ruined what I loved about the company. Like I said before I loved my customers & all of my co-workers except the last branch & regional managers.
A great job, but one that just doesn't quite fit
bank teller in Rogers (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARJanuary 7, 2014
I have enjoyed the time I have worked for this bank. I've held two versions of the same position- tellers start out as "floaters", who travel to whichever branches need extra help behind the teller line. This required quite a bit of flexible scheduling and travel around the county, but was excellent for experiencing different locations. The other version of this position is the one I have held since October 2013, as a teller permanently at a single branch. I like my managers' willingness to sit down and talk about things, answer questions, or teach me how to do other aspects of banking, such as audits and ordering money and supplies. The best and hardest part of my job simultaneously is that since my branch is in a part of town where many if not most of the residents speak Spanish, often as their only language, my college Spanish has been getting a workout as I learn banking terms and communicate with the customers.
Pros
i am guaranteed 38-40 hours a week, the pto system, my healthcare coverage and benefits, cool bosses
Cons
low pay, not a job that fits into what i went to college for, positions in my areas of interest are rare or nonexistent
LOW pay and HIGH responsibility
Teller (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs Village, AROctober 9, 2015
I applied for this job because it involved working with people which I enjoy and have a lot of experience doing. The company culture was good and I had very nice co-workers and I did enjoy interacting with most customers.

On the negative side, you only get 5 days of training which many seem like enough but if you don't have a background in banking or at least dealing with a lot of cash, you can get overwhelmed very easily especially when it gets busy! Because there is little tolerance for mistakes, one can find themselves without a job within the first month, which happened to me.

Even if you manage to learn the job, it is tough to make it on just $10 an hour! Some pizza delivery drivers make more than that! The company also discourages "moonlighting" and with the extended hours at most branches, one would be unable to do so if they were full-time anyway.

All in all, it can be a good job for someone who is NOT the main breadwinner in the family and has some previous cash handling experience. If not, I would not recommend it for the reasons above.
Pros
Good culture, friendly co-workers, decent benefits
Cons
very low pay, high responsibility, and little tolerance for error
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, AROctober 13, 2013
A typical day at work looks like:

Arrive to work to see that their are 10+ customers on hold (and more if it's Monday or Friday). You pull up your computer and get ready for a chaotic two hours of non-stop customer service until you get your ten minute break, and then there's another two hours of the same. It used to be that the customer service agents would get three rings to answer their phone and if they couldn't the phone would log-off. But, now once you end a call (or your customer hangs up on you) another call will come through immediately whether you're ready or not. Everyone is stressed and the managers try to convince you to keep a good attitude. However, when you're on the phone you will notice the managers carrying on and having a good time while you work your butt off.

Bottom Line:
If you want to work for Arvest Bank, DO NOT work customer service.
Pros
Paid Time Off
Cons
Inconsistent Following of Rules, Large Turnover, Management Does Not Value Employees
Great culture and customer service.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARFebruary 2, 2016
The level of incentive and pay for the front line entry level employees is sub-par compared to other successful companies. Easy job on a day to day however, the level of requirements for a teller are slightly excessive. I learned a lot about the banking industry and how to provide an excellent level of customer service which Arvest prides itself in. Management was a struggle because in the amount of time I was there we lost a few and the new ones had a hard time adapting to the culture that was already at the branch so they created a whole new environment. Co-workers are great and it is a fun team oriented environment. Hardest part of the job was the turnover and difficulty to move up within the company. The environment and custom relations is highly enjoyable especially if you love the sales/customer service business. Good company to work as a first job/part time while in University.
Pros
Great environment and easy tasks.
Cons
Difficulty in promotion, and low pay to job ratio.
Wonderful place to grow with an infectious culture
Assistant Vice President/Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 20, 2013
I spend my day working with customers to aid in every financial need and working with associates to aid in their growth and development within the company. I have learned a wealth of knowledge in regards to the banking industry, managing associates, federal regulation, marketing, networking, and furthering my overall financial education.
The most challenging part of this job is during times of staffing; working in a smaller location can pose a more hectic schedule when there is turnover. The hardest part of that situation being that I am unable to visit and promote small business calling efforts since I am helping run the branch.
The most enjoyable part of this job and working for this company is the culture. Open communication and the commitment to striving for excellence are our two core values. The culture along with the core values are ever present from the front line teller to upper level management.
Loved my customers but very poor Management!!
Bank Teller- Greeting (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, MOFebruary 14, 2015
I started out a part time employee and that's where I stayed..I got the bad hours which meant I closed every night when I would ask for more hours they would tell me that qualifies me to have insurance so that wasn't gonna happen! My manager was not a good manager at all if you weren't one of the people that came with her from Bank of America u were a no body! She could go days and not say one word to you! The assistant manager quit at our branch 4 months before I did because of the manager and I quit for the same reason! U would think someone would get a clue in upper management but NOPE no clue! Good luck to the next victim that takes this job!!!
Pros
pto time, my customers
Cons
hours, management, no advancements, constant lies, etc i could go on and on
Fun workplace
Teller (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJanuary 16, 2015
Running transactions for customers
I learned how to learn a lot about a person in a five minute period, and how to figure how what a customer was wanting and what they were needing.
My co-workers, for the most part, were easy to get along with. Like most work environments, some people are just there to ruin other people's days.
The hardest part of the job would have to be making referrals. It's difficult to make a referral when your customer doesn't want or need anything you're selling.
The most enjoyable part of my day is when I could sign to my customers. Also, helping someone with their banking needs, especially when they don't realize they need the help.
Pros
there's always a chance to move up in the company.
Cons
people may look out for customers, but not other employees.
GREAT PEOPLE!
BANK TELLER/ CUSTOMER RELATIONS/ SALES (Former Employee) –  Benbrook, TXJanuary 31, 2014
Responsibilities include cashing checks, accepting deposits and loan payments, processing withdrawals, selling savings bonds, accepting payment for customers’ charge cards, processing necessary paperwork for certificates of deposit, selling travelers’ checks, handling commercial or business accounts. Maintain petty cash and reports. Consistently balance cash drawers. Introduce products and services to members; handle sales and make appropriate referrals. Answer incoming calls and made outgoing calls to customers regarding their accounts while maintaining proper phone etiquette. Filing reports and or records. Data input.
Train new staff on company procedures. Act as a resource person after training for new employees following the classroom component. Monitor and support trainees during transactions and interaction with members; polish trainees technical and communication skills
Very fun company to work for with outstanding values and community involvement.
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 29, 2014
Arvest Bank is by far the best place I have ever worked. A typical day at work would include customer transactions, large deposits, coaching employees, management duties, and other duties as they arise. I learned a lot about the proper way to treat customers as well as the employees. I was taught the value of building relationships as well as the importance of being excellent in operations. My management and co-workers were all excellent people! I've never been more supported or invested in. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with upset customers and striving to keep employees on the right track. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to do life with the people you worked with as well as serving the public.
great place to work
Risk management fraud division (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKMarch 14, 2013
I enjoyed my employment at Arvest Bank. They work well with you on any questions you may have. They have a good training program. My days were filled with looking at accounts that were suspicious for forgery or fraud. I occasionally spoke with detectives at Norman Police dept. I learned what to look for as red flags. I liked my co-workers and we got along very well. The hardest part was talking to an elderly couple to explain their child or children had taken their money and then suggesting filing charges. The part I enjoyed the most was in finding a person or persons responsible for defrauding our customers.
Awful place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  ArkansasOctober 30, 2015
Arvest is an awful place to work. I was lied to from the day I was hired. They want you to relolve you whole life around work. If you have kids good luck because they wouldn't ever let me off to do anything with my kids. The management was very poor. If you ever wonder why they always have new people. It's because people quit not because they move up like they tell you. The whole 5 months I worked there was the most miserable 5 months of my life. I advise not banking there either they are always charging un necessary fees for everything. They make the employees sell customers products and if you don't meet you goal for the month you will be in trouble.
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Work is fun.
Mortgage Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 27, 2012
I like to work hard everyday from start to finish, as in this business it is all about now and not later. I have learned to be a better resource for my clients and past clients. Management is very supportive of my role at our Bank. Co-workers keep a positive up beat and it makes it easier if you ever run into a upset customer. Hardest part of the job is not having full control of your file sometimes. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people get in to homes or helping them refinance and better their financial situation.
Pros
i like to get involved in the community.
Cons
i don't take any breaks.
Teller (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJune 1, 2014
A typical day at work is alright. Stressful, yet not too bad really. Arvest is a great company for our customers, checking their balance, making withdrawals, and deposits, loan and mortgage customers, etc. I have learned an awful lot from this career path. Kathy Hall and Lacey Klemm have taught me the most out of the management staff at Arvest on Ouachita Ave in Hot Springs. Hardest part of the job is when a customer has real life problems that tie them to a reason for coming to the bank. I hate getting and giving bad news. The most enjoyable part of my job is my training classes.
Overall a good company to work for by at the branch management level the leadership from regionals devolves
Branch Manger (Former Employee) –  Pryor, OKJuly 28, 2013
The core beliefs of arvest a very easy to get behind. Arvest is a very customer service focus company. They also value their associates. Very good training. This Instore incentive program is great but is terrible on the Traditional side. Arvest offers lots of opportunity for advancement!
One of the main reasons for my leave was lack of leadership from Regional and sales managers. They did not exhibit arvest open door policy and were not a resource for issues in the branch. This handcuffed much of my authority and ability to change things.
Pros
selling is helping culture
Cons
regional management & sales management
Good entry level experience for accounting
Financial Reporting Accountant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, ARFebruary 10, 2015
I've learned a lot of skills and developed knowledge or various financial programs. A typical day is spent reconciling various recons (fixed assets, cash, projects etc.) Co-workers are friendly and helpful allowing me to gain experience in a team environment. Management is helpful in providing direction and assistance. The hardest part of my job is the inability to advance or learn more accounting/finance knowledge. Faced-paced repetition is a good description. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to have a career that I feel is secure in the educational path that I pursued.