ASARCO Employee Reviews in United States

Politics with lazy Union empolyees
Sx (Former Employee) –  SliverbellAugust 4, 2016
Union individuals cry and wine about new hires taking their job away n don't like training new employees. Union individuals are the most lazy workers ever and want new hires to do all the jobs that suck. Management caters to them and they seem scared of them so if any issues arise they don't handle it. Threats- harassment - and you losing your job if u don't do it even though it's unsafe. This is also my first job that safety is out the window and you can easy get hurt ion the job. HR too is too worried bout who to suck up too and don't do nothing if a issue arises. The only good thing is the benefits. Pay sucks and the moral sucks. Very bad experience too not don't recommend working there unless you like unsafe politics..
Benefits
Cons
Union employees are lazy, unsafe, management sucks
OK place to work
Data Resource Developer (Former Employee) –  Sahuarita, AZApril 21, 2016
If your in the good old boys club your in good shape, if not watch your back. The politics are bad so you better know how to play the game.
rough schedule and poor pay scale
Primary Crusher Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  arizonaAugust 18, 2015
ok job to hold you over in this area. but no life. no raises, no bonus. management is ok. heavy is new but roads are rough at times on your body. you will never see a raise. union sucks. dont care for your needs.
Pros
ok money for the area
Cons
7 day schedule day, swing, grave. union
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ray, AZSeptember 3, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company. I enjoyed my coworker's and my supervisor's. I learned a good trade. It was nice to feel like I accomplished something each day and to be able to go home safe was great.
Pros
Great air conditioner's
Cons
Job Security
horrible management.
maintenance mechanic (Current Employee) –  hayden, AZJune 8, 2015
low pay when compared to other mines around the area, although the benefits are some of the best in the state. it seems the company purposely hires bosses and planners that will run the plant into the ground. jobs are never planned properly, parts are never ordered and as a result things are seldom fixed correctly. great group of people to work with for the most part, but management really makes this a hard place to work at.
Pros
good benefits, great co-workers
Cons
really bad management, low employee moral
Over all Asarco is a great place to work if you can survive the cut backs the seem to pop up every once in awhile. Benefits are fantastic
haulage truck driver dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Kearny, AZMay 11, 2015
When working at Asarco the typical work week was just that. Seven days on and two off. Not much time at home. Our shifts are eight hour shifts . Work is one hour away so a typical day is about 10.5 hrs.

A shift starts with pre inspecting equipment, the loading from P&H 4100 shovel averaging about 8 loads a day.. Copper is the product mined.

management is slightly above average. When I dispatched I became a Day pay boss.

Workers for the most part get along well.

I enjoyed the type of work I did, also the XM radios helped the shift go by .
Pros
nice equipment to operate
Cons
did not like the 7 day 8 hr schedule.
Each day is new lot's to do.
Leadsman Plant Mattance (Current Employee) –  Marana, AZSeptember 2, 2015
One day you might be pulling weeds and the next day/ or hour you could be pulling a pump and rebuilding it. Lot's of things to fix and area to cover.
Pros
straight days.
Cons
the weather, call out's
Work experience at ASARCO
Mine Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 22, 2015
I had an excellent work experience at ASARCO. Excellent personnel and excellent leadership.

The only reason I left, as did most of the salaried employees is that Grupo does not believe in annual raises and/or boluses. After working tirelessly to bring the company out of bankruptcy, we were all rewarded with no raises or bonuses for 5 years. That's when I left.

Anyone going to work for ASARCO should negotiate their best salary up front because that will be your salary for the duration of your experience.

Hope Grupo's management sees this.
Pros
Extremely dedicated workforce. Excellent training ground. Excellent company from which to recruit.
Cons
Grupo does not care who they lose. They have an antiquainted ideal where it comes to compensation.
Good job but with no job security
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  kearney, azAugust 30, 2015
Good job but no job security. Good pay, excellent benefits, bonuses, but union ran. Management needs improvement. Schedules is not good.
Asarco provides training haul trucksA
DE Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Kearny, AZJune 17, 2015
Asarco is a union run environment, they provide training for haul truck and updated safety classes they are concerned in keeping you aware of your surroundings
Pros
traning classes
Mechanical Engineer
Mechanical Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AzJuly 11, 2014
As a mechanical engineer in a mine, duties as follow: to provide technical support to all plant departments as directed by the Plant Engineer; provide support for continual improvement in statistical process control, safety, manpower issues and issues as they may arise; assist in the development and specifications ans scopes of work to complete various projects; provide assistance in the development of projects and execution or those projects; document control and maintenance of quality documents in the área of responsibility; perform customer quality visits and related team involvement; assist in departmental projects, management and recommendations; and assist senior engineers on projects as directed.
many challenges as work was quite diverse as far as knowlege required
Master Electrician (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 3, 2014
Management was not knowledgeable at all as far as what was required to complete a job. Many of the workers were totally incompetent and no one was held responsible. A true craftsman should be proud of his work but most did not care. It was a real bad environment to stay motivated to do your best.
Pros
job security, challenging
Cons
extremely hot and dusty
Great job, excellent benefits.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 22, 2012
Asarco is a very good company to work for. I was given the opportunity to advance from a general laborer to a machine operator, overseeing the processing of raw copper and the cleaning and processing of pure copper. The co-workers made a great atmosphere to work and the strict safety procedures led to a peace of mind. The main downside was extream heat conditions, however even that was dealt with by the company as well as possible.
Pros
excellant benifits
decent pay and benifits. Management is rookie
Pipefitter/Welder (Current Employee) –  Hayden, AZFebruary 8, 2014
Overall the pay and benefits are good. It's a typical maintenance job, and I like the guys I work with. Management is on the friends and family plan and have very poor relations with the employees. If this company would run this business like a business instead of a charity for managements' family members it would be great.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
poor management
B operator (Former Employee) –  kearny azMay 13, 2012
everything from running equipment to checking temps on machines. I learned some much in the 5 years i worked there, safety, working well with others. management was ok, miss communications were a daily repeat. co workers were great. shift work was hard but you get use to it. my favorite part of my job was finishing the job & knowing i did it safe, and right.
Loud and Noisy...
Mill Worker Helper (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 10, 2014
Always something different to do everyday. Coworkers are very affable. Management doesn't care about any feedback from newbies. Make sure you always have your PTE on. Work OT when requested and especially within the first 90 days... which is the probationary period...and be on time Lombardi time! 15 minutes early...
Very Productive and Stressed the meaning of safety
Summer Intern/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Kearny, AzJuly 15, 2014
Being at the mine during the summer gets very hot because most of the work there is done outside. It is hard labor but it is never boring or unpleasant. Most of the buildings are open and there is not a lot of closed air conditioning. The conditions there are very dangerous but the company is very keen on safety and train people very well in a nice environment. Co-workers are nice and welcoming. They were always willing to help me if I didn't know certain things about my job and would always help me to get better. They are also very polite. The hardest part of the job was the heat but my supervisor and co-workers always made sure I had water on hand if I needed to take a break it was never a problem. The most enjoyable part is being able to be around machines and experiencing the work of a lab technician. It was all very interesting and fascinating.
Pros
polite, nice people, good company overall
Cons
the heat
Mining projects
Ray Mine Owners Representative and Project Manger (Former Employee) –  Kearny AzFebruary 5, 2014
I had a great time running projects for the Ray mine. I got to know some Great people and over all had a good time working there. The down side was the Salary. I learned a lot about Mining and the processes that it takes to extract copper out of ore.
Pros
great people
Cons
salary
hard work ,bad hours
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 25, 2014
not a good job,hard work,long hours,work was in middle of the night so you never saw your family they was at school and work when you was off,and sleeping when you was working,bad management they never was on the same page with each outher,pay was bad
Pros
nothing was a pluss on this job
Cons
short term job/1 month
it is a good company
Tank House Labor (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 16, 2015
good company to work for .
co-workers and the management are so friendly.
typical days and routine job once you get used to it , it is so easy
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
health care

2.8