ASARCO Employee Reviews

it was ok
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Hayden, AZJune 27, 2017
there is a lot of gossip, more than the normal. Management gets involved in gossip, very unprofessional. violate a lot of laws and get away with it. there are some nice people but not many
Pros
pay and benefits, it is union
Cons
union is not ver well educated but then neither is supervison.
Loved being part of the team's atmosphere in the truck shop at the mine
Heavy Equipment Welder (Former Employee) –  Marana, AZ 85653April 6, 2017
Great job working independently to weld haul trucks and shovels to keep them running in addition to doing shop truck maintenance.Usually working in the pit independently or with the team.
Pros
Only worked 14 days a month
Cons
Rough working conditions in all weather
Its ok
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  AZDecember 18, 2016
It was okay for a job I have been operator for a long time so there was not much thinking about how to run the equipment and get on with your day time passes by quickly when you're working
Pros
Work
Cons
Home life
Very exciting job and learned about the mining industry
Powder Forman (Former Employee) –  Silverbell, AZDecember 17, 2016
I was put in charge of the blasting crew . I was instructed and shown the proper and safe way of handling explosives and people that I had being assigned to .
Pros
We were required to be ready and able to produce our work assignments
Cons
There were no cons we were required to work in a safe mannrr
Politics with lazy Union empolyees
Sx (Former Employee) –  SliverbellAugust 4, 2016
Union individuals cry and wine about new hires taking their job away n don't like training new employees. Union individuals are the most lazy workers ever and want new hires to do all the jobs that suck. Management caters to them and they seem scared of them so if any issues arise they don't handle it. Threats- harassment - and you losing your job if u don't do it even though it's unsafe. This is also my first job that safety is out the window and you can easy get hurt ion the job. HR too is too worried bout who to suck up too and don't do nothing if a issue arises. The only good thing is the benefits. Pay sucks and the moral sucks. Very bad experience too not don't recommend working there unless you like unsafe politics..
Benefits
Cons
Union employees are lazy, unsafe, management sucks
OK place to work
Data Resource Developer (Former Employee) –  Sahuarita, AZApril 21, 2016
If your in the good old boys club your in good shape, if not watch your back. The politics are bad so you better know how to play the game.
poor management
Class 1 Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  South of TucsonOctober 23, 2015
They would rather pay more money to there lawyers than doing what the arbitrator signed for all employees to get copper bonus not just the old hires. They can not come to an agreement with the union for a fair contract for more than two years now. They have us working 7 days a week rotating 3 shifts. 7 nights 2 off 7 swing 2 off 7days three off and because of the days off very little over time only on day shift has overtime. .
Pros
good pay.
Cons
work rotating shifts 7 days a week.
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ray, AZSeptember 3, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company. I enjoyed my coworker's and my supervisor's. I learned a good trade. It was nice to feel like I accomplished something each day and to be able to go home safe was great.
Pros
Great air conditioner's
Cons
Job Security
Each day is new lot's to do.
Leadsman Plant Mattance (Current Employee) –  Marana, AZSeptember 2, 2015
One day you might be pulling weeds and the next day/ or hour you could be pulling a pump and rebuilding it. Lot's of things to fix and area to cover.
Pros
straight days.
Cons
the weather, call out's
Good job but with no job security
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  kearney, azAugust 30, 2015
Good job but no job security. Good pay, excellent benefits, bonuses, but union ran. Management needs improvement. Schedules is not good.
rough schedule and poor pay scale
Primary Crusher Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  arizonaAugust 18, 2015
ok job to hold you over in this area. but no life. no raises, no bonus. management is ok. heavy is new but roads are rough at times on your body. you will never see a raise. union sucks. dont care for your needs.
Pros
ok money for the area
Cons
7 day schedule day, swing, grave. union
Asarco provides training haul trucksA
DE Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Kearny, AZJune 17, 2015
Asarco is a union run environment, they provide training for haul truck and updated safety classes they are concerned in keeping you aware of your surroundings
Pros
traning classes
horrible management.
maintenance mechanic (Current Employee) –  hayden, AZJune 8, 2015
low pay when compared to other mines around the area, although the benefits are some of the best in the state. it seems the company purposely hires bosses and planners that will run the plant into the ground. jobs are never planned properly, parts are never ordered and as a result things are seldom fixed correctly. great group of people to work with for the most part, but management really makes this a hard place to work at.
Pros
good benefits, great co-workers
Cons
really bad management, low employee moral
Over all Asarco is a great place to work if you can survive the cut backs the seem to pop up every once in awhile. Benefits are fantastic
haulage truck driver dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Kearny, AZMay 11, 2015
When working at Asarco the typical work week was just that. Seven days on and two off. Not much time at home. Our shifts are eight hour shifts . Work is one hour away so a typical day is about 10.5 hrs.

A shift starts with pre inspecting equipment, the loading from P&H 4100 shovel averaging about 8 loads a day.. Copper is the product mined.

management is slightly above average. When I dispatched I became a Day pay boss.

Workers for the most part get along well.

I enjoyed the type of work I did, also the XM radios helped the shift go by .
Pros
nice equipment to operate
Cons
did not like the 7 day 8 hr schedule.
Work experience at ASARCO
Mine Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 22, 2015
I had an excellent work experience at ASARCO. Excellent personnel and excellent leadership.

The only reason I left, as did most of the salaried employees is that Grupo does not believe in annual raises and/or boluses. After working tirelessly to bring the company out of bankruptcy, we were all rewarded with no raises or bonuses for 5 years. That's when I left.

Anyone going to work for ASARCO should negotiate their best salary up front because that will be your salary for the duration of your experience.

Hope Grupo's management sees this.
Pros
Extremely dedicated workforce. Excellent training ground. Excellent company from which to recruit.
Cons
Grupo does not care who they lose. They have an antiquainted ideal where it comes to compensation.
it is a good company
Tank House Labor (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 16, 2015
good company to work for .
co-workers and the management are so friendly.
typical days and routine job once you get used to it , it is so easy
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
health care
No more benefits for the blue collar man.
turned down electrical position (Former Employee) –  Mission mineOctober 4, 2014
They need to pay their newly hired people bonuses, that is unfair and reflects Grupo Mexico. No more pensions, no more bonuses and whats next.
Pros
its a job
Cons
no pension, no bonuses whats next?
Very Productive and Stressed the meaning of safety
Summer Intern/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Kearny, AzJuly 15, 2014
Being at the mine during the summer gets very hot because most of the work there is done outside. It is hard labor but it is never boring or unpleasant. Most of the buildings are open and there is not a lot of closed air conditioning. The conditions there are very dangerous but the company is very keen on safety and train people very well in a nice environment. Co-workers are nice and welcoming. They were always willing to help me if I didn't know certain things about my job and would always help me to get better. They are also very polite. The hardest part of the job was the heat but my supervisor and co-workers always made sure I had water on hand if I needed to take a break it was never a problem. The most enjoyable part is being able to be around machines and experiencing the work of a lab technician. It was all very interesting and fascinating.
Pros
Polite, nice people, good company overall
Cons
the heat
Mechanical Engineer
Mechanical Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AzJuly 11, 2014
As a mechanical engineer in a mine, duties as follow: to provide technical support to all plant departments as directed by the Plant Engineer; provide support for continual improvement in statistical process control, safety, manpower issues and issues as they may arise; assist in the development and specifications ans scopes of work to complete various projects; provide assistance in the development of projects and execution or those projects; document control and maintenance of quality documents in the área of responsibility; perform customer quality visits and related team involvement; assist in departmental projects, management and recommendations; and assist senior engineers on projects as directed.
many challenges as work was quite diverse as far as knowlege required
Master Electrician (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 3, 2014
Management was not knowledgeable at all as far as what was required to complete a job. Many of the workers were totally incompetent and no one was held responsible. A true craftsman should be proud of his work but most did not care. It was a real bad environment to stay motivated to do your best.
Pros
job security, challenging
Cons
Extremely hot and dusty

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASARCO. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7