Asbury Methodist Village Employee Reviews in United States

Poor Management and Biased Hiring
Lead Dinning Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 2, 2016
When I first began at Asbury the environment was very welcoming and the staff and residents were all very nice. However, after now being at the company for almost 2 years there are a lot of problems with lower management. In addition, the hiring process was very biased they only hired people that were similar to the staff that already work in the dinning room and were contingent on not hiring people above high school / college age for the positions available. However, that being said Asbury is a good place to work for High School and College Students due to its flexible hours and easy job tasks.
Pros
Offer scholarships to high school and college students
Cons
Lower and even Middle Management Problems
Typical Day
Transported senior citizens to their meals (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 1, 2016
setting the dinning room, having the elderly come down check them in. They are sat a table with menu's. The server will introduce themselves to the table and take there order. Then bring out the food when the ticket is complete.
first time volunteer experience was great
Aide (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 13, 2016
I ENJOYED working at that place. staffs were very nice and I enjoyed helping those elderly people. I really enjoyed working there
productive
Dining room server (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 5, 2016
enjoyed working with my co-workers they were very helpful and were willing to teach me how to take orders faster in which was a lot of help because it fastened my pace. The dining room was always busy but i enjoyed the atmosphere because it was always filled with positive people and good vibes.
Very laid back
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 19, 2015
It was a very laid back work environment you didn't get called to do anything. They would only ask for your assistance if there was a large activity going on like Bingo or help to get residents down for performances. As for management goes the people in HR are not the ones you go to if you need to take a day off or you need to miss a day of work. In such cases, you would go to the people you work with on the floor HR assigns you to.
Fun workplace, very informative and thorough
Dining Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 17, 2015
Great place to work. Everyone is friendly. The pay and the hours are great. It was a very great job to have. The managers are very understanding and flexible
Pros
great workers, breaks, and pay
Fun work enviornment
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 31, 2015
Working at Asbury was the best learning experience and a very fun environment to work in. A normal day was full of laughter and person-to-person interaction as well as getting work done. My co-workers were very nice, supportive and just easy going people. The work load was hectic at times but, I always got it done and if there was something I needed help with, my co-workers were always ready and willing to assist me. Asbury is a very team oriented environment and I really enjoyed working there.
Pros
Free lunches, meeting new people
Cons
No longer working there
Very welcome place and peaceful to work with those in need like the elderly.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 21, 2015
Asbury was a wonderful place to work. People are very nice and cleints too. The company really takes care of the clients. Work with the elderly in Asbury helped me to become more patient with clients and there was a very good collaboration between co-workers. The hardest part was when I could really respond to need of the client because of his/her illness like dementia or Alzheimer. The most enjoyable part was when I could bring a little joy, happiness and help the clients feel good just for a minute.
i feel excited when i go to work
PRN (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 12, 2015
A typical day starts with this zeal to put a smile on every one's face especially the clients. I have learned that to be happy, you as an individual needs to make someone happy. The management is great and my co-workers are just awesome. They all have a great sense of humor and a great team spirit. The hardest part of the job is that i don't take no for an answer, depending on the situation anyway. The most enjoyable part is that i go home feeling fulfilled, knowing that i made someone's day a great one.
Nice place to work
Programming Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDApril 27, 2015
A typical day at work for Asbury would start out with checking my messages and emails. Completing room reservation requests and giving tours of the community for people interested in renting. Planning onsite and offsite activities and trips for the residents. Planned the health fair and completed outreach to vendors in the area for marketing purposes. Kept track of the supplies and the budget that I updated frequently.

I learned how to properly network and plan events on a more professional scale. I learned how to propose a budget and communicate with people who have one or more disabilities due to aging.

As far as management goes, most people are really nice but they let people who aren't management influence too many things.

The hardest part of the job was when my resident passed away.

The most enjoyable part of the job was just seeing the residents enjoy themselves and have a great time
Pros
Nice residents and great cafeteria
Cons
too many politics
bad
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDNovember 12, 2014
I hated this job. As much as i liked having a job i knew this one would not last long. As a waiter for the elderly, one has to understand many are losing their minds and get upset over little things. I personally hate cleaning up after people and serving people who are unappreciative. The managers had favorites so the rest of us had to pick up the slack.
Pros
serving experience
Cons
bad co-workers and bad customers
Great place to work, wonderful people to work for and with.
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDNovember 5, 2014
I have a terrific boss and enjoy working with all the people in my department and other departments as well.
I spend a lot of time answering the phone, assisting residents and employees with issues that arise, do a lot of independent problem solving. I do a lot of troubleshooting.
I keep track of department time and do payroll for my department.
I do AP, create reports in Excel, take meeting minutes, coordinate and participate in campus events, write correspondence, attend staff meetings. I am the lead person for our work order system, Insite, and assist users with issues that arise.
Pros
interaction with co-workers and residents.
Cons
loss of residents due to death, relocating, etc.
Employee recogntion measl at least 4 times year.
Licensed practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDOctober 20, 2014
Get report from the outgoing nurse and give report to nursing assistants and start giving patient care.
Have learned to be detailed oriented.
There is a friendly atmosphere.
The hardest part of the job is when there are more than one admissions from the hospital into my unit.
The enjoyable part of my job is the availability of equipment and tools to work with.
Pros
free coffee and tea; and free lunch tickets for birthdays.
Cons
no flexible vacations
AMV- Anticipate More
Dining Room Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDOctober 5, 2014
Amazing establishment that always looks out for their employees.
productive and fun place to work with activety areas for staff.
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 9, 2014
Everybody busy with their work. I learned more of customer service and patient advocacy. Management was with excellent leadership and with respect to patients and staff. Co-workers played team work most of the time to accomplish tasks. The hardest part of the job was shortage of staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was end of year parties and bonuses.
Pros
activety areas for staff to relax
Cons
too many patient ratio per staff sometimes.
loved working there was there 34 years before retired
Supervisor of Purchasing Dept (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 14, 2014
job was very hectic office from time you go in to when you left.
interact with vendors, maint tech's managers,supervisors
work with 48 people in the dept place orders for them keep stock
type purchase orders and do budget reports,contracts etc
do payroll for 52 people
hardest part of day of remembering to breathe
most enjoyable part of job was dealing with everyone loved it
great place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 29, 2014
typical day at work always being greeted with a warm smile from the residents. i learned that the residents are very loving and caring they love to talk to you and share their stories with you. my co-workers were just like family made coming to work eventful. hardest part of the job was leaving the residents they felt like family. most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the residents laugh and smile.
Pros
getting to know a lot of wonderful people
Cons
n/a
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 30, 2014
Great and wonderful place to work and volunteer everyone there is friendly and fun to hangout with except for the graveyard shift employees
Decent
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 9, 2013
this job was a fun job with respectable people that care about their craft
Beautiful community with wonderful resident
Retirement Counselor (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 14, 2013
Calls, tours.
Love my coworkers and the residents
Making 85 connected phone calls a week can be boring
but I do enjoy the tours that come from those calls and meeting new people.
Pros
meeting new people and making strong connections
Cons
long days away from family

4.3