ASCAP Employee Reviews

educational, fun and motivating
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2016
Working at ASCAP was enjoyable and always gave me a feeling of self accomplishment. Worked closely with all departments as my position required it. This gave me an opportunity to interact with other employees and learn more about the music business. This also gave me the tools necessary to answer any questions the members had regarding their works, credits and royalties. The hardest part of the job was when the members were having legal issues due to licensing and I was limited in assisting in that area as they needed to involve an entertainment lawyer. Due to possible conflicts of interest.
Pros
Meeting composers and writers as well as entertainers
Cons
Can not think of any. ASCAP was a great place to work
Everyday is an Opportunity to Learn
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
There are plenty of opportunities to be challenged and grow. Training opportunities and advancement are encouraged, The culture is focused on service to its customers and members which creates a sense of unified purpose among employees.
Pros
Flexible, freindly and family oriented
If You Want to be Confined to Your Desk, This Job Is For You
Multimedia Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2016
Don't believe the hype in the interview. If you're working in the distribution dept, it's all about performance. Performance meaning linking songs to performances and understanding the ASCAP way. They'll give you 6 months and say, "you're not a great fit." which results in a high turn-over. It's very segregated and gossipy.

A typical day is sitting at your desk for 8 hours staring at a computer screen. There's one person who trains you and then ships you to your dept. Co-workers hate it there but they've been there since the 80s and just complain instead of leaving.
Pros
Cons
Segregated, Gossipy, No Growth, Boring
ASCAP does not care about their employees
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2017
Upper management will hand out surveys to be completed by employees. The content of the survey does not matter, the responses given by the employees do not matter. The surveys are a ruse simply used for the purpose of making company wide changes that negatively affect employees and positively affect the all mighty dollar, and provide a way for upper management to hide behind the survey as the reason for this change.

Management rewards those who work the hardest by giving them more work than is physically possible to complete in a timely fashion, then penalize them for that.

Certain managers do not do their work and instead pass along their assignments to the people below them who already have a massive work load. These assignments are usually given only hours before they are due to the employees who have never received proper training on that specific transaction. The employees are then yelled at and berated by these particular managers. In order to complete all of this extra work employees will work 11 hour days while not being compensated for the extra hours. When appraisals come around employees are reprimanded by these managers for putting out "poor" quality work. Some employees end up demoted as a result. These particular managers often leave the company as well to scam another business and harass new employees.

ASCAP's priorities need to change and they need to start caring about their employees.
Pros
They finally got free coffee
Cons
Health Insurance company is the worst
N/a
Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2016
No review being provided. This is not a real review. I am not providing any details about typical day at work or management.
Productive fast pace environment
Sr. TV Analyst (Former Employee) –  1 Lincoln Place, New York, NY 10023August 10, 2015
A typical day at work included researching information and a lot of data entry and customer service. I learned how to adapt to change. Management was very professional. Working as a team was very fulfilling, and the most enjoyable part of the job was the research and data entry.
Great place to work, but tough phone sales
Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 10, 2015
For a typical day at work, you'll make phone calls to potential customers who are illegally playing music within their business and get them to license it so they can play it legally.

My manager was awesome and I loved my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was listening to customers fuss, cuss and hangup on you. It's a TOUGH sales job.

I loved coming to work every day, knowing who we represent, and loved my co-workers.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
TOUGH sales job
Repertory Rep
Repertory Services Representative (Former Employee) –  lincoln center, nySeptember 4, 2014
Customer Service Management, making sure publishers and writers were getting the correctly royalty payment based on their applications. Researching discrepancies, dealing with lawyers and management groups to come to agreements. Misc reports. Management was inadequate and not exactly helpful. Co workers were AMAZING and I miss them every day! Hardest part if the job was that it was VERY boring. Most enjoyable part were the people and the notoriety for working for such a respected company in the Music Industry,
Pros
Free Concerts, Bonuses, Health Insurance, Pay wasn't TERRIBLE
Cons
computers took over our department
10 weeks of training, if you do not produce, you have no value to them
Area Licensing Manager (ALM) (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 24, 2012
I expected a long term relationship, based on my previous successful sales career. I don't blame the territory, the current economy or anything else, I just don't believe that any of it added up to only 6 months to develop what they wanted, even tho I was performing at twice the required work load, the sales did not come and that ended the career with ASCAP.
Pros
extensive training
Cons
no long term committment to employees
Ever changing
Licensing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 3, 2012
ASCAP was a very interesting place to work. I knew nothing about the business. I did learn a lot by the end of my employment with ASCAP. ASCAP did evolve to be more inclusive at one point. Everyone was involved in the overall aspect of day to day business. However in the last days it all changed. ASCAP was one of the last places to work 7hr days. The benefits were decent. However the benefits changed over time to become more expensive and offer less. The people who worked worked there is what made it a great job. There isn't an office in the Atlanta area any longer.
Pros
free lunch sometime
Cons
healthcare expenses, no breaks

Want to know more about ASCAP?

Ask a question
people oriented workplace
System Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  new yorkMarch 10, 2014
I've been working for Ascap for the last 16.5 years until my position was outsourced. I practically was born there. I started as a software developer and gradually transformed myself into business system analyst and technical manager. As you can see from my resume, I ve been involved in brand new projects as well as modifications in the existing systems. I worked closely with business community to address their wishes and requirements. The people at Ascap are the most creative and hard working people I have seen. While working on the night shifts, we went through a lot of daily and nightly challenges together meeting due dates and releasing defect free products.
Pros
i was happy with the company
I was relatively happy there for a long time,
Prefere not to say (Former Employee) –  New YorkDecember 9, 2011
Sadly, with the changes in the economy, the corporate culture and values changed dramatically becoming less member focused. I do still believe in the organization, however, and hope that with an improved economy, that the focus can return to it's membership.
Pros
generous vaction. opportunites to work from home.
Cons
the music industry is currently in transition, and very shakey. cramped ofice spaces
Amazing!
Communications and Media Department Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2013
As my first introduction into the Marketing aspect of the music industry, I couldn't have had a better experience interning at ASCAP! I felt as if my work was appreciated and that I was a valued member of a team working towards a goal. I was encouraged to work hard, but given the chance to exercise creativity.
Pros
Felt Like A Valued Team Member
Cons
Slow Days
Competitive and honest working enviorment
Songwriter/Composer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2013
ASCAP will fight tooth and nail to receive all licensing and publishing that is owed to me in which I love but If I can't produce music there's nothing that can do for me.
Pros
work from home, excellent employer/employee relationship
Cons
paid is solely based on employee production
Solid Office Experience
Business Affairs Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2012
Good company for those interested in working in the performing rights sector of the music industry
Pros
steady hours, benefits packages, retirement plans, paid time off, relaxed dress code
Cons
changes in the industry have resulted in several rounds of downsizing
Fast-paced, quota driven environment
Licensing Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 21, 2013
Sell the benefits of music licensing to business and groups utilizing music in public forums. Very hard to make the customer understand why the license is required. Lots of changes within the company to try and keep up with changes in the industry.
Typical Day
International Song Title Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2013
I worked in the International Fiche Department. Our day would consist of searching through our database to see which artists had received royalties for their work.

Filing of reports and administrative work made up most of my day.
Not much to say
Director, Membership (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2014
This was not the best work experience. It was a very political and gossipy organization in the latter years. Not much room for growth with archaic employees who never left, not making room for the next generation to grow.
Sometimes Rewarding
Songwriter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 3, 2015
ASCAP is for songwriters with material that is available on the open market for sale. Their job is to monitor and collect songwriter royalties and pay songwriters the money that is collected.
Nice to work on Music Row but everything else about working at ASCAP is a hugh let down.
Telephone Licensing Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 23, 2014
Sales Training was a joke. No advancement opportunities. Absolutely NO perks. Forget about the possibility of being included or invited to any events on or offsite. One track minded management team. Managers have a quota as well and are known for taking bigger sales away from other reps only to take credit themselves to impress upper management. At the Nashville office, there are 3 floors in the building. First floor is the Lobby. Third floor is the Creative dept. The second floor is for the Sales Team. Employees found on the second floor are shunned from any and all perks and are completely ignored by everyone else in the building. The work space for the second floor is extremely to small and is unusually way to quiet to be a sales floor.. Expect to be very disappointed in your career choice to work in sales for this company after about week 3.
Pros
Working on Music Row
Cons
Absolutely everything else, No leadership, Poor Management, Extreamly small workspace, Way to quiet!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASCAP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8