ASCAP Employee Reviews

Multi year project with heavy vendor influence
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2017
Multi year project with heavy vendor influence; complex music licensing business so having some background would be very helpful; nice & relaxed workplace culture but quick paced business expectations. Heavy influence of vendors.
Mission of financially supporting songwriter members through licensing of their music is admirable but task of generating revenue is difficult
Regional Account Manger (Former Employee) –  NYCMay 22, 2017
Typical day consists of prospecting accounts and trying to license businesses that use member's copyrighted music. Goals implemented by management are difficult to achieve due to lack of support, misunderstanding of business environment in assigned territory and extensive travel time.
Outside Sales, with absolutely no help
Licensing Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 28, 2017
This job is not what you think at all. They will lie to you and tell you that you will have everything you need to be successful. But they are not interested in you at all. The commission is extremely low, and the training is sub par at best.
Pros
Cons
No help, no money, and you must provide everything yourself.
ASCAP does not care about their employees
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2017
Upper management will hand out surveys to be completed by employees. The content of the survey does not matter, the responses given by the employees do not matter. The surveys are a ruse simply used for the purpose of making company wide changes that negatively affect employees and positively affect the all mighty dollar, and provide a way for upper management to hide behind the survey as the reason for this change.

Management rewards those who work the hardest by giving them more work than is physically possible to complete in a timely fashion, then penalize them for that.

Certain managers do not do their work and instead pass along their assignments to the people below them who already have a massive work load. These assignments are usually given only hours before they are due to the employees who have never received proper training on that specific transaction. The employees are then yelled at and berated by these particular managers. In order to complete all of this extra work employees will work 11 hour days while not being compensated for the extra hours. When appraisals come around employees are reprimanded by these managers for putting out "poor" quality work. Some employees end up demoted as a result. These particular managers often leave the company as well to scam another business and harass new employees.

ASCAP's priorities need to change and they need to start caring about their employees.
Pros
They finally got free coffee
Cons
Health Insurance company is the worst
New York Employee
New York Employee (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2016
Business is going through a transformation and lots of new people being hired. The organization is going through a modernization which is exciting.

New CEO came on board in 2015 and is bringing ASCAP in to the digital age.

Great work environment, social opportunities and great time off policy.
Pros
Free Concerts, Social Events, Volunteer Program, Music Business
Cons
Some lazy employees
N/a
Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2016
No review being provided. This is not a real review. I am not providing any details about typical day at work or management.
educational, fun and motivating
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2016
Working at ASCAP was enjoyable and always gave me a feeling of self accomplishment. Worked closely with all departments as my position required it. This gave me an opportunity to interact with other employees and learn more about the music business. This also gave me the tools necessary to answer any questions the members had regarding their works, credits and royalties. The hardest part of the job was when the members were having legal issues due to licensing and I was limited in assisting in that area as they needed to involve an entertainment lawyer. Due to possible conflicts of interest.
Pros
Meeting composers and writers as well as entertainers
Cons
Can not think of any. ASCAP was a great place to work
Everyday is an Opportunity to Learn
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
There are plenty of opportunities to be challenged and grow. Training opportunities and advancement are encouraged, The culture is focused on service to its customers and members which creates a sense of unified purpose among employees.
Pros
Flexible, freindly and family oriented
If You Want to be Confined to Your Desk, This Job Is For You
Multimedia Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2016
Don't believe the hype in the interview. If you're working in the distribution dept, it's all about performance. Performance meaning linking songs to performances and understanding the ASCAP way. They'll give you 6 months and say, "you're not a great fit." which results in a high turn-over. It's very segregated and gossipy.

A typical day is sitting at your desk for 8 hours staring at a computer screen. There's one person who trains you and then ships you to your dept. Co-workers hate it there but they've been there since the 80s and just complain instead of leaving.
Pros
Cons
Segregated, Gossipy, No Growth, Boring
Productive fast pace environment
Sr. TV Analyst (Former Employee) –  1 Lincoln Place, New York, NY 10023August 10, 2015
A typical day at work included researching information and a lot of data entry and customer service. I learned how to adapt to change. Management was very professional. Working as a team was very fulfilling, and the most enjoyable part of the job was the research and data entry.
Great company with great emplyees. Simply not my passion or long-term career.
Regional Licensing Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 5, 2015
ASCAP is a wonderful, non-profit organization which sole purpose is to compensate songwriters for their intellectual properties. While I believe that this simple idea is prodigious, I still believe there are things that should be reconsidered.

For example, the approach to business owners needs to be altered to project more credibility, as well as producing a great awareness for this monstrous organization. ASCAP has been around since 1914, but the majority of business owners know nothing about the company or the basic understand of Federal Copyright Law.

Lastly, I find the annual rates for several businesses to be excessive and unnecessary, e.g. a personal trainer who exclusively uses a single-speaker radio for music, but the square footage of his business is too large to be considered as exempt from the music license; or the coffee shop that has local artists come to play live music 1-2 nights, but it's going to cost them nearly $400.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at ASCAP and have learned so much about copyrights, songwriters, how to fight for these songwriters, as well as the inner workings of various businesses and their respective owners, but I am interested in pursuing a career that can utilize my personable, outgoing nature and organizational skills, rather than making phone calls in my home to various business owners within ASCAP's Northeast territory.
Great place to work, but tough phone sales
Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 10, 2015
For a typical day at work, you'll make phone calls to potential customers who are illegally playing music within their business and get them to license it so they can play it legally.

My manager was awesome and I loved my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was listening to customers fuss, cuss and hangup on you. It's a TOUGH sales job.

I loved coming to work every day, knowing who we represent, and loved my co-workers.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
TOUGH sales job
Sometimes Rewarding
Songwriter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 3, 2015
ASCAP is for songwriters with material that is available on the open market for sale. Their job is to monitor and collect songwriter royalties and pay songwriters the money that is collected.
Associate Vice President (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 9, 2014
This was the type of environment where one can thrive and be great. Also competition is encourage for overall growth but also as a compliment to the overall benefit of the team.
If you like taking abuse on the phone and getting cussed out, this is the place for you
Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 8, 2014
The management there was great and I loved my boss and the co-workers were great. It is also cool working on music row and getting to say you work in the music industry; but the advantages end there.

If you see an ad to be a Licensing Specialist, run! You have to call companies and harass them and threaten to sue them if they do not obtain a music license. Even when people ask you not to call them back, they encourage you to tell them you have to keep calling them until they pay for the license. This position was extremely stressful because of the negativity and constant arguing with people on the phone. That's what you do all day every day. Then you are expected to bring in a certain amount of money per month and if you don't you have to have a performance assessment.

However, if you don't mind arguing with people and being yelled at and cussed at doesn't bother you, you could make a very good living working there. They have a good base salary and you make commission on the licenses you bring in. Some people there did very well and didn't mind it at all. But it's not for the faint of heart!
Pros
Cool boss, cool co-workers, working on music row
Cons
Constant arguing, being cussed at, being hung up on, having to meet high sales numbers
Nice to work on Music Row but everything else about working at ASCAP is a hugh let down.
Telephone Licensing Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 23, 2014
Sales Training was a joke. No advancement opportunities. Absolutely NO perks. Forget about the possibility of being included or invited to any events on or offsite. One track minded management team. Managers have a quota as well and are known for taking bigger sales away from other reps only to take credit themselves to impress upper management. At the Nashville office, there are 3 floors in the building. First floor is the Lobby. Third floor is the Creative dept. The second floor is for the Sales Team. Employees found on the second floor are shunned from any and all perks and are completely ignored by everyone else in the building. The work space for the second floor is extremely to small and is unusually way to quiet to be a sales floor.. Expect to be very disappointed in your career choice to work in sales for this company after about week 3.
Pros
Working on Music Row
Cons
Absolutely everything else, No leadership, Poor Management, Extreamly small workspace, Way to quiet!
Repertory Rep
Repertory Services Representative (Former Employee) –  lincoln center, nySeptember 4, 2014
Customer Service Management, making sure publishers and writers were getting the correctly royalty payment based on their applications. Researching discrepancies, dealing with lawyers and management groups to come to agreements. Misc reports. Management was inadequate and not exactly helpful. Co workers were AMAZING and I miss them every day! Hardest part if the job was that it was VERY boring. Most enjoyable part were the people and the notoriety for working for such a respected company in the Music Industry,
Pros
Free Concerts, Bonuses, Health Insurance, Pay wasn't TERRIBLE
Cons
computers took over our department
Not much to say
Director, Membership (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2014
This was not the best work experience. It was a very political and gossipy organization in the latter years. Not much room for growth with archaic employees who never left, not making room for the next generation to grow.
people oriented workplace
System Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  new yorkMarch 10, 2014
I've been working for Ascap for the last 16.5 years until my position was outsourced. I practically was born there. I started as a software developer and gradually transformed myself into business system analyst and technical manager. As you can see from my resume, I ve been involved in brand new projects as well as modifications in the existing systems. I worked closely with business community to address their wishes and requirements. The people at Ascap are the most creative and hard working people I have seen. While working on the night shifts, we went through a lot of daily and nightly challenges together meeting due dates and releasing defect free products.
Pros
i was happy with the company
Amazing!
Communications and Media Department Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2013
As my first introduction into the Marketing aspect of the music industry, I couldn't have had a better experience interning at ASCAP! I felt as if my work was appreciated and that I was a valued member of a team working towards a goal. I was encouraged to work hard, but given the chance to exercise creativity.
Pros
Felt Like A Valued Team Member
Cons
Slow Days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASCAP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7