Ascend Hospice Employee Reviews

Dont believe the scheduled hours they hire you for.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 13, 2017
Great team of nurses to work with. Unfortunately they hired some other team members who are unqualified and unwilling to do their job. This made it much more stressful on nurses. They hire nurses for 8-430 but they dont tell you that they cannot keep their on call nurses so then you have to work nights and every weekend call while they find and train someone new. This takes months. You can spend hours on the phone triaging endless calls, but you aren't paid unless you go out. Not fair at all. Just be aware and ask lots of questions if interviewing.
Pros
Good nurses
Cons
Too much on call time. Lots of overtime doing documentation.
busy place
member of the Interdisciplinary Team (IDT) (Former Employee) –  Cranford, NJAugust 4, 2017
i think pay is fair and work environment is good.
The job included after hours and at times was difficult to keep up with the many calls. Managers are nor very supportive
Not a good place to work
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 14, 2017
Staff gets burned out and bosses don't fix the real problems. Everyone in office is out to protect themselves, they have little to no idea what it's like to be in the field every day. Scheduling doesn't make sense to where you live, often have to drive way out of the way when someone else lives closer. Emphasis on getting as many admissions and patients as possible, no matter the stress or problems. Very disorganized and dishonest, poor communication all together. Each boss intentionally keeps the boss above them in the dark so no one really knows what really goes on.
Pros
Small teams that support each other, Helpful nurses.
Cons
Lousy benefits, Poor communication, No work/life balance, Too much travel, Cut-throat mentality, Manipulative, Nepotism and protect the favorite bosses, Need to fire high ups to make it better.
Great Family atmosphere. Very rewarding career.
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 26, 2017
I currently work in the office and love the team that works in the MO/KS branch. If you are wanting to work with a team that cares about what they do, this is the place to be. The compensation is above what I see at most other hospices and there are decent benefits offered. The management team is caring and receptive and rewards their employees. We have grown tremendously in the past two years due to great care and with that comes a little growing pains with getting staff hired quickly enough. The only con I have seen is a slow on boarding process with the corporate HR. But once you start in the local branch, it is well worth the wait.
Pros
Good salaries, great team, caring and receptive leaders
Cons
Slow onboarding process through the corporate HR
hospice work is the best work in the world
Hospice Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Commonwealth of MassachusettsDecember 19, 2016
lots of flexibility and support for direct staff. active and effective office staff, very good use of technology to streamline patient care. Incredible Medical Director.. excellent team in the field
Great growth experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 9, 2016
Great to console patients in time of need and has enjoyable faculty. This is a great learning experience and allowed me to come out of my shell more by interacting with the patients.
Pros
spending time with the patients and talking to them
Cons
location
Great work experience
Home Health Aide-Hospice (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Not fair, enjoy the co-workers. Not worth stating the unfairness. I did not expect the treatment. I do not want to be negative, so I will not say anything else. Thank you
Pros
working with great nurses
Cons
no union
good alternative hospice
R.N. Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Marlborough MaJune 23, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was that the atmosphere of the clinical teams was that of family cohesiviness, and support to each other If the chaplain needed the nurse she went if he nurse called the chaplain he answered, if sw need assistance everyone was available
A typical day for me started out with change usually because a nurse needed help or patient needed to be screened
if things ran smoothly, I would visit 3-7 patients a day depending on if home cases or nursing home cases
The hardest part of the job was letting go(disharge vs death)
Pros
Alternative Hospice, aromatherapy and reiki music therapy
Cons
distance
Loving Caring Company
Hospice Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Cranford, NJMay 11, 2015
Typical day at work is assisting my patient with there needs, I learned that my patients have to be dealt with differently emotionally and physically, Management is great and understandable, The hardest part of my job is getting emotionally attached to my patients, The most enjoyable part of my job is helping my patients with there needs and making there day
Pros
Great work atmosphere
great people
Hospice Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Cranford, NJMay 6, 2015
Great ministry with wonderful people. Over the years, I was able to grow in many meaningful ways. Each day was different and every patient interaction was wonderful.
Quality Care
RN (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington,PAMay 6, 2015
After working at other Hospices, I find that Ascend Hospice is truly dedicated to providing Hospice care that is outstanding. The staff are all caring, dedicated and go the extra mile for the patient and family. Sales Team and Clinical Team actually work together. Un-like other Hospices, Ascend Hospice isn't numbers driven. It is patient driven, always doing best for the patient. The work environment is not threatening or intimidating like other companies I have worked at. Members of the Team support each other, staff are held accountable for their actions and work. Since I have been here, it has opened my eyes to what Hospice care really is.
Great People, Great Company
N/A (Current Employee) –  PennylvaniaMay 5, 2015
Ascend Hospice, Previously Care Alternatives, is a great choice when it comes to hospice care. The staff care deeply about every patient that they come in contact with, and they show great support for family members. From the nurses, to the certified nursing assistants, to the office staff, the social workers, and the chaplains; you will always get professional first class service.

Ascend Hospice's first priority is your family members care. From the beginning to the end they are there with you, emotionally and physically, to guide you through every step in this journey.

As a member of this team, I am proud to work with such a great group of people, and honored to be able to help out in such an invaluable way. We are not only a team, we are a family.
Pros
supportive administration, caring team members
All they Care About is numbers numbers numbers
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAJanuary 17, 2015
The Pennsylvania Office is as dysfunctional as they come.
Be prepared to have your every move monitored and critique.
Unprofessional, arrogant leadership Administrator and Clinical Director that is in stress mode. High employee turn over.
Sad but all they care about is numbers.... census driven as compared to patient driven.
Previous reviewer I worked with and as I am a Veterans she and the company would use Veterans Ceremonies that I had to officiate over honoring Veterans in care facilities as a way to get the facility to give them patients!!!!!!
Pros
Patients and families that employees care for
Cons
Every discipline is considered a marketer used to increase numbers when patients die
My Co-workers are the best
Community Education Liaison (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, PADecember 31, 2014
As the Community Education Liaison with Ascend Hospice (formerly Care Alternatives) there is no typical work day but my focus is on sales development and planning. I am responsible for generating referrals, scheduling and/or conducting in-services as well as participate in community and organizational programs.

My co-workers are the best in the Hospice industry and we all strive to give excellent care to our patients. They along with the knowledge that we are helping patients and their loved ones on this final life journey makes my job so rewarding and worthwhile.

The hardest part of my job has been our re-branding. The name itself has not been well accepted in the field. There has not been proper support from corporate in the roll out of the new brand (i.e. new collateral, marketing with new name and logo, etc.).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ascend Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.