Ascend Performance Materials

Ascend Performance Materials Employee Reviews in United States

Used to be a bright spot but no more
Employee (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 9, 2016
I wouldn't recommend the Decatur site for people of color. You can count how many there are on both hands as big as that site is and its obvious that its gone stay that way. The work force is older and established and DO NOT want change and will do whatever they can to avoid it including making it harder on those who don't mind change, and they ain't caring how it affects others. For years it was somebody always helping a son or other family member or other close friend to get on. The site is top heavy.The are too many chiefs and not enough Indians. You wear too any different hats (responsibilities). You work and almost feel as if you are going in circles because you don't understand what they (upper management) want. Almost feels like they want robots. Don't ask questions just do what they say. You are expected to work tons of OT for the benefit of the site and upper management shows no appreciation. If they call you better answer or call back if you missed the call. If there were more people there wouldn't be a need for so much OT. The family atmosphere is gone. They used to say "you matter" not true. You don't even see upper management at family funerals or visitation like you used to.
Pros
pay
Cons
OT, training, growth, opportunities
manufacturing
Operator (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALJune 19, 2015
I learned the processes of nylon and plastic manufacturing. Everyone including bosses and co-workers were like family. I enjoyed working there because they really take care of their employees.
benefits
Cons
tried really hard and worked really hard but never felt like i belonged there
operator (Former Employee) –  Cantonment, FLJanuary 6, 2016
i learned about a new process and met some good people but over time upper management changed and the consensus was, is that it was for the worst. appreciated the opportunities given to me there and the people i had the privilege of meeting.
Pros
pay
Cons
swing shift
Great work with great benefits
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Cantonment, FLApril 10, 2016
Day positions and rotating shifts with a great opportunity to earn capital. Management goes above and beyond to try to expand and increase opportunities for employees.
Negative
process engineer (Former Employee) –  Cantonment, FLJanuary 13, 2016
Management is confrontational and often downright mean. Combined with ignorance and encouragement to "divest employees" it makes for an unhealthy work environment.
Pros
On-site cafeteria
good
Product Development Chemist (Current Employee) –  Cantonment, FLJuly 21, 2015
Over all it is a good place to work. Company culture needs somework, but new management is in place that looks like they are trying to change things. work life balance suffers but I enjoy going to work eveyday
Pros
fast paced work things are always changing
Cons
no work life balance
Need to make changes
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alvin, TXDecember 11, 2015
Great experience but the company has high turn overs. The company does not have a sense of loyalty to its employees. Management should take more training courses.
Great place to work for 30 years
Team Player (Former Employee) –  Ascend Performance Materials Greenwood, SCAugust 13, 2012
Started off as a machine operator, then control room and finally process technician on days. Hard work, but very rewarding for my 30 years of service. I was taught the operation from start to finish and was able to aquire all the knowledge needed to build on a very rewarding future. Great lean team environment and the hardest part was watching the north plant closed, because of the economic problems in 2008. I enjoyed every part of the job and learning the operation from the ground up and what it takes to make nylon and what a rewarding career I had after 30 years of service.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
economic cost that occured when the price of oil increased
Important Learning
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 8, 2013
This company is great in terms of compensation/benefits. In terms of work/life, there is great room for improvement. You have to make the decision whether or not to sacrifice your personal life for work. You choose. What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul? I believe it can be the right job for the right person. There are some GREAT people that work there! I believe you have the potential of fostering lasting friendships. A lot goes on at once and there are erratic changes which indicates poor vision and potential job instability. The hardest part of the job for me was not having time to follow through with tasks since I was overworked. I would work well over 60 hour work weeks and did not enjoy the job. The culture is unprofessional and somewhat 'lax'. This may work for some people, but not for me. Some departments do not care about your personal life and may overwhelm you with work without care. Enter cautiously.
Pros
compensation/benefits
Cons
overwork/job instability/unclear direction of priorities
Very safe site, Many good operators, unit management is poor
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Alvin, TxSeptember 30, 2014
Days consist of sampling tanks for unit adjustments, cleaning and locking out equipment for maintenance. working with I&E to troubleshoot problems with unit. work as a team to make on spec material. Hardest part of the job is dealing with management and their lack of communication with operations. Best part of the job is working with co-workers on a daily basis and being part of the EMT team.
Pros
pay, schedule
Cons
benefits, communication
Great place to work if you can handle hard work.
I. F. Operator (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, SCSeptember 18, 2015
For me it was too difficult to remember everything I was supposed to do, remember how to fix everything, put machines back up and running, make sure you get your bobbins doffed off and keep an eye on my machines for any pre-work.
Pros
They have they're own Cafeteria with meals to be bought and a good health program
Cons
While in training it's hard to understand what they want from you.
not a place i would recommend
Processor (Current Employee) –  Alvin, TXJuly 24, 2014
management couldn't care less about operators. Top out pay is 38.00/hr but benefits/401k/yearly bonuses are way below industry standard. Plant is old and run down and its owned by an investment company so money for preventative maintenance is minimal at best.
Pros
its a job
Cons
see above
Ascend
weigh master/ Security (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALApril 1, 2015
I came from New York last year, and Ascend was hiring for security/Weigh masters. I needed the job and the company gave me a shot, for that I am forever grateful but as a 31 year old man... I feel the need to grow at the company is almost impossible. My shift is 3 days on... 4 days off and as of right now, I can't continue. I weigh trucks containing chemicals/ coal, I run water samples to chemical labs on the plant... I must inspect trucks, as well as the plant its self. The hardest thing about the job is; once things slow down, they really slow. I'll sit for 10 hrs without any type of work going on. I really appreciate the job but for me, it's about growth and providing for my family, as I am suppose to.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
relying on someone to relieve you, whom is never on time
Horrible place to work
Processor (Current Employee) –  Alvin, TXJuly 26, 2014
Ascend chocolate bayou facility is a horrible place to work. The benefits are par for the industry, but our insurance (bcbs) and dental (delta dental) are steadily losing providers because they don't pay their bills. The management and human resources out here are terrible. They look out for themselves and could care less about the people in operations. The plant is old and run down. The company is owned by an investment firm (s&k capital) so money for improvements is few and far between. Shift differential is only 15 cents an hour, well below industry standard. If want to advance in company you have to be buddy buddy with someone and be a "yes" man. If you don't have anything in common with your supervisor and aren't a "brown noser" your're pretty much going to be discriminated against and blackballed. If you do get hired on here and get put in an2&3 run!!! That unit is a joke. The management (shift leads, specialists, ptech, and unit manager) have formed a "klique" and if you cross them they will find a way to get rid of you, justified or not. The sco's (shift coordinators) are a group of good 'ole boys that band together and think they are untouchable, only one of them is worth keeping around. You can't take anything hr says seriously, they provide a bunch of false promised just to pacify you to stay. The exit interview when you leave are a joke. The reasons you give for leaving are tossed in the trash and never taken seriously. The plant mangager's position on morale as stated in a meeting " if you don't like it, leave! There are people lined up at the gate for your job."  more... Like I said, they could care less about you.  less
Pros
it's a job
Cons
low shift differential, low morale, horrible management, don't care about employees in operations.
Nylon centered chemical plant
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 1, 2014
Fast pace work environment. Benefits are comparable to Houston ship channel.
Frustrating place to work. Would not recommend it to anyone!
Project management (Former Employee) –  Cantonment, FLJune 26, 2014
Some middle management at this facility will throw you under the bus to make themselves look better; constantly trying to catch people doing something wrong; very poor review process with no feedback during the entire year followed by a performance review that will come as a complete surprise.

Corporate managers want all projects to be cheaper than the estimates and faster than the schedule, for no other reason than that's just what they want. Then they want a bridge document to tell them why it cost what it does. You spend more time justifying your work than actually doing your work.

For one positive, the overall site leader at Pensacola is a good man. Respectable, friendly and treats everyone the same - the way it should be.
Pros
pay is decent. good site leader.
Cons
atmosphere, bonus, blame, and everything else.
Productive, always someting new to learn, felt I was very competent performing my job
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, scMay 4, 2015
Enjoyed the people I worked with, working as a team. Great place to work. Loved my hours, was always on time and present every day.
Not a good employer for long term employment.
Order Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 1, 2012
Nice working environment and peers. Management tends to be vague and gives lots of last minute rush requests with little or no
instructions. Limited opportunities for advancement.
Pros
good location accessible by metro.
Cons
lots of layoffs.
Great Place To Work
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 14, 2014
Ascend is a great place to work. The company believes in training and educating its employees and allows for time to attain some work/life balance.
Pros
free food often and free drinks daily
Cons
need to hire more people to relieve current staff of heavy workload
Does not value people
Sr. Process Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alvin, TexasAugust 22, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with. I truly enjoy what I do and strive to teach, mentor and keep people safe in the workplace.
Pros
people
Cons
lack of direction from management, no long term goals.

Ascend Performance Materials Reviews by Job Title