Ascension Health

Ascension Health Employer Reviews

An overall great place to work for serving others
Project Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALApril 4, 2013
Pros: ability to work from home
I moved up from Secretary to the IT Director in 03/99 to Project Manager during my tenure with Ascension. For the most part our team worked as a family and achieved day to day duties as they came up. The hardest part of my job was knowing that while I was providing information for the consolidation of my applications (for the good of the company), I – more... was also working myself out of a position. I enjoyed the opportunity to learn the 360 regarding IT activities which included Networking, Servers, Desktop Support, Implementations, Training and working with other departments to achieve the information requested as needed. – less
Great co-workers but no leadership.
Service Desk Incident Coordinator (Current Employee), Auburn Hills, MichiganMarch 15, 2013
Pros: great co-workers, adequate pay and benefits
Cons: unreasonable break times. lack of management. bad morale.
Rigid work environment. Very little contact and direction from managers as they spend most of their time attending meetings.
Most of the direction comes from team leads who aren't always equipped to deal with daily work issues.

The pay and benefits are good but their expectations of your employment are unrealistic. They constantly change scheduling – more... and burden the employees with needless process while losing focus on the customer service aspect.

The most enjoyable part are the people you come into contact with. Co-workers and managers are good people. Very friendly and personable. – less
Equipment Management (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: great values
Cons: very few
Great place to work. I have had lots of room for growth. Great values.
Equipment Management (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: great values
Cons: lack of accountability
Great place to work. I have had lots of room for growth. Great values.
NA
Allscripts Developer Support /Implementation (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 19, 2013
The company is good if you are a clock-in / clock-out person. Depending on your dept. it is not a place to move up. Poor leadership / Mgmt. Poor everything...
DONT GO UNLESS YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE
Senior Accountant (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: rarely any overtime, decent (free) parking, flexible with time (depending on mgr), free soda (if you like excess calories and potential diabetes)
Cons: management, hr, salary not commensurate to experience/education, low to no bonus opportunities
This is the worst place ever to work. There is really no room to grow, the management is horrible-- petty, immoral, back stabbing, double crossing-- and that usually sets the tone for the department. The hardest part of the job was going and working the whole day. The most enjoyable part of the job was lunch, and going home at the end of the day. HR – more... is a joke-- if you have any issues, your best bet is to just find another job. Do not go in with the expectation of learning, all you will learn is that there is nothing but a lot of trivial duties that don't teach you anything more than you already know, and the longer you stay the dumber you will get. The most you can get out of a position at Ascension is a title, that will help you to move on to something better. Do not look at this place to be a long term job of secuirty-- if you need a paycheck right now, I would definitely take the job. If you are currently working, do not leave your job unless you're in the position where you are about to be laid off. The morals and values stated are not any that are promoted through the actions of management. The company seems more driven to be of more community service than the concern of their own employees. Also, having a degree is almost a hinderance... when you are working under a CEO that does not have one, there is little respect for the ones that people do have (advancement and salary wise). If you have an associate's or GED this would be a great place for you to work.. Bachelor's and higher, please for your own sake keep searching and go to a real company! – less
Unorganized
System analyst (Current Employee), St. LouisJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: benefits.
Cons: management style
Poor leadership at the top. Ignore issues thinking they go away
Resistant to change
Overall it is a great place to learn the Cerner modules
Solutions Development Analyst (Current Employee), Warren, MIJanuary 12, 2013
Pros: discounts on dell products
Cons: no affiliations with a fitness facilities and no stress relief
A typical day at work is mostly maintenance and customer requests. I have learned how build in several modules of the Cerner application. Management has its strong points and weak points. I feel that management need to utilize their on call schedule more effectively. My co-workers are great. Each person has expertise in each module of the Cerner application – more... and in the medical field. The hardest part of the job is the continuous schedule flipping to cover PTO for midnight shift. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the different customers and being able to help them resolve their issues. – less
Healthy environment to work
Sr. Hyperion Planning/Essbase developer (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 3, 2013
Some times I worked through out the night.
I learned a lot from the complex application design.
Management is very friendly.
Co-workers are good.
Hardest part is typical dead lines.
High morals and values company working toward providing customers and patients a great experience at a affordable price.
National Project Lead (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 13, 2012
Pros: work life balance and benifits
Cons: unorganized
A typical day at work includes running reports to ensure that projects are on track and directors have the latest information about their projects in their region. It also included ensuring employees access to project management application.

I've learned how to create detail reports using Crystal Report and communicating my findings to associates and – more... directors.

Management was nice and willing to help everyone but was always in competition with other managers.

The hardest part of the job was on-boarding associates to new procedures and practices.

The most enjoyable par the the job is working with people across the United States. – less
Never a dull moment
Lead Systems Analyst - Ministry Intelligence (Current Employee), St. Louis, MONovember 5, 2012
Pros: every once in a while you can land a free st louis cardinal ticket.
Cons: work-life balance
The people are what make Ascension Health most special. There's some really talented, good people there. Work-life balance can be a struggle. There isn't a busy period because it is always busy and challenging.
A fantastic company
Capital Sales Assistant (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 17, 2012
More work would be better, but a great atmosphere, great people
I did not have previous insurance experience, I resigned. Job was with Smart Health Insurance Co.
Managed Care Specialist (Former Employee), Warren, MIAugust 1, 2012
Cons: skipped lunches, extended hours expected including to bring lap top home every day and weekends
Poor orientation, no orientation documentation/lists to follow. I was thrown in the job without adequate resources. Caused illness and resigned.
Interesting place to work, friendly, professional people
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MIJuly 17, 2012
Interesting place to work, friendly, professional people
It is an excellent work environment, with opportunities.
SR Department Administration Assistant (Current Employee), Seton Healthcare Family, Austin, TexasJuly 16, 2012
Pros: health benefits, and employee discounts.
Cons: i work for a large hospital employer, and there are many parking issues.
* My typical day at work is professional, yet busy. I work in an executive environment.
*This position has advanced my knowledge of Excel, Outlook meeting schedules for management, office equipment, etc.
* Our management provides direction, support, in an atmosphere of learning and inspiration.
* My co-workers and I have a good relationship. I respect – more... them, and believe strongly in working as a team.
* My hardest part of the job: After being in healthcare for more than 20 years, there are many challenges that arise. I am a person who believes in persevering through those challenges.
* Most enjoyable: Powerpoint and MS SharePoint.
* I will be moving to Dallas and available for work August 2012. – less
N/A
Business Process Analyst (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 4, 2012
Very enjoyable to work here on both individual and collaborative assignments.
Very good place to work, changing to PeopleSoft.
PROGRAMMER ANALYST (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 8, 2012
Pros: freedom to code
Cons: freedom to code for everyone.
General maintenance of Infinium/SMS systems.
Some new development, open to new ideas for improvement.
Friendly supportive co-workers.
Very Old Culture
IT Project/Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 30, 2012
Pros: good salary
Cons: resistant to change, old culture
Ascension Health has a very old culture, that is resistant to change. Most of upper managerment does not even hold a secondary degree, let alone a Master or Docterate. This is not a progressive company and not motivating either.
highly matrixed organization
Infrastructure Delivery Manager (Former Employee), Borgess Medical Center, Kalamazoo, MIDecember 5, 2011
regionalized technical support model, leveraging the most experienced to support multiple healthcare organizations within Michigan and Nationally.
numbers are all they care about
biomed (Current Employee), naJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: too many to list
Ascension does not realize they are in patient care facility. They only care about the numbers and money. Force staff to work on equipment, including life saving devices, that you know nothing about. Mgmt just wants numbers to look good, forces staff to LIE on documentation. Overworked, overstressed and underpaid.