Ascension Health Employee Reviews

Big Corporation feel
current associate (Current Employee) –  Indiana ministry marketOctober 6, 2016
This company prides itself in being faith-based but the increasingly bureaucratic atmosphere is very contradictory to the mission statement and core values. The past few years they have centralized and outsources services to the point there are more "contingent" workers than actual employees. Most people sit around waiting for the shoe to drop on them-who's department will be outsourced next?- which a very stressful way to work and still provide care to sick and needy people. They just removed all on-site HR services leaving employees with no resources except a telephone number where people read a script and don't actually help you. They save money by piling more work onto managers and other exempt/salary staff to avoid paying overtime or hiring additional staff. Turnover is high as staff is burnt out by any lack of work/life balance (even though they say they put a lot of effort into Mission Integration efforts). They believe in a one size fits all philosophy without regards for the type and size of the hospital (really- what works in a 600 bed hospital may not be right for the critical access hosp. with 15 beds) and as a result smart people at the local level have almost no input into process development. I have worked at my hospital 30+ years and the last 10, when we become absorbed into Ascension have been the stressful and made me question my choice of profession. Our standing in the community has been diminished as the people here do not see the local hospital that cares for them, but a big corporate entity that is outsourcing staff for the sake of "profit" (saving money).  more... I am hoping to hang on until retirement. It makes me sad to feel this way.  less
Great place to work!
Phlebotomist II (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 5, 2016
Interesting researching tests, great health benefits, safe environment, and the cafeteria has great, cheap food! I wish I had less work everyday, but that's a good sign of people seeking help for themselves. Sometimes the parking situation can be tricky,
Pros
Everything except the large volume of work.
Cons
The volume of work.
Disaster of Epic Proportions
Talent Acquisition (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 30, 2016
The CEO lives in Chicago and is never there. Oblivious to the mess that he has created! Hiring practices and onsite HR is laughable! They are a horrible representation of the Ascension Ministries!
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Poor Management, Benefits, Compensation!
My typical day
Senior Exception processer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 9, 2016
I was once asked by another associate that is on the team I senior what do I do all day. Mostly I am the trainer and go to for escalations in the team
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
opportunites for advemancement
St Vincent's Physician Enterprise (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 14, 2016
I like my position with Ascension. I am a referral specialist. I obtain insurance authorizations for patients to see a specialist or have a procedure done.
Pros
great schedule
Cons
no face to face interaction with patients
This place is a mess!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 2, 2016
They are very flexible with schedules and allow you to work from home and their health care benefits are OUTSTANDING!
Beyond that, the organization is so enormous that they can't do anything without a 90 page form being filled out.
TOO MUCH RED TAPE!
Pros
health coverage and working from home
Cons
the list is endless
productive work force
Sr Solutions Development Analyst (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 15, 2016
Worked in EMR support, felt the management was difficult to go to, did not feel supported by them. really enjoyed learning a new field of nursing.
Overall Ascension is a good place to work.
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 14, 2016
Overall Ascension is a good place to work. Management can sometimes be micro managers, which does not allow you to get the most important things done during a day, however. Everyone that works here seems to be very happy.
Ascension is a great place to work
Talent Acquisition Partner II/Recruiter/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 28, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at this company. The fact that I can make a good salary with the benefit of working from home with low cost insurance has made a big difference for our family. I have made very good friends with this company.
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYJune 24, 2016
Ascension Health as a whole is a great company to work for. The issues that I had at this particular position was with the boss and supervisors of the department that I worked in. They do not treat all employees fairly. There was no confidentiality among supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
Loved fellow phlebotomists
Cons
No confidentiality between bosses and co-workers
Emergency Room Nursing....Gotta Love it!
Emergency Room RN (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 24, 2016
A typical day of work is not knowing what you're gonna walk in to...the chance to cross paths with a person and their family so that in some small way you could make a difference in their lives makes me love healthcare!
depends on the location
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 10, 2016
The manager from the places where I worked was not the best at all. I did work at one location that had great management. The co-works are both nice and some are not at all. The location depends on how the co-works are. If I had to go back I would go to a location with a different manager. The patients were great and I love the job I did and the NP I worked with.
Pros
great doctors, great patients
Cons
management, favoritism, and make decisions for favorites
Very Stress with minimum growth potential
Leave Of Absence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 18, 2016
Not going to bash the place because it provided me my means of living, but it is not a place I would retire from!!! There is a lot to be said but my dislikes my be someone else's pleasure. If nothing else you can say " At least I have a job" with Ascension.
Pros
Get to work from home
Cons
micro managing, low pay, bad management, no growth potential, no constant working process, no accountability with upper management.
Basics are good
Clinical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasMay 9, 2016
Good solid work force, management needs to be more direct in their actions. Better decisions on what and how to move forward would be nice.
Open office concept is great.
Leave Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 12, 2016
Wonderful boss who does not micro manage and allows me to make decisions for my team. Flex time makes it easier to schedule appointments during the week.
Pros
Free beverages.
Cons
Heavy traffic getting to work.
Great place to Work
Senior Conversion Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 21, 2016
This was my first contract position and I learned a lot. The PeopleSoft implementation project team was very well organized, and the project went well, with all systems going live on the go live date as expected without any delays.
Productive and fun working environment; respect was a core value of the organization.
Business Analyst, Information Systems Department (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2016
Would still be working there but my position was eliminated due to consolidation of services with parent company, Ascension Health Information Services in St. Louis, MO. Enjoyed relationships with co-workers and challenging work experiences. Left with lucrative severance package.
Pros
Corporate respect for all employees.
Great Organization
Project Manager\Technical Lead\ (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 29, 2016
Great Organization, the only reason I'm still not working there is because out hospitals were sold off. I will miss Ascension Health.
Challenging Workplace
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 22, 2016
The employees are great to work with. Very knowledgeable and sincere. Management was always changing making the work environment a little more challenging. Workloads were extremely heavy due to high turnover rates. The position itself was not too hard but other factors made it appear to be a little more challenging.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Vacation time, high turnover rate
Working with a good staff
PCT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 25, 2016
When I worked in the ER at St. Vincents East I really in enjoyed my job. The staff was great and the doctors were the best. I worked third shift and then transfered to first shift and loved them both equally.
Pros
fun people to work with
Cons
exhaustin