ASDA DISTRIBUTION Employee Reviews

good if your not english
Warehouse Operative/Goods In Team Leader (Former Employee) –  ADC 3 NormantonJune 22, 2016
you have targets to hit and they are achievable but some colleagues cheat to hit their figures leaving you with all the rubbish.Management always favours non English
I lost my job because I reported an colleague for violent conduct .the investigating manager framed me to make an example of me because of the colour of my skin.
the hardest part of the job is knowing you cannot rely on your manager for anything.the most enjoyable thing was the salad I had for my tea(it was the only thing they didn't burn)
Pros
good wage
Cons
management bent
Nope
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  FalkirkJune 19, 2016
Money is good, but that it all. Job security is awful, left on a temp contract for minimum of 2 years. Management do nothing to help. Warehouse is full of disgusting, perverted older men.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything Else
picker packing
Warehouse Operative / Order Picker (Former Employee) –  OllertonMarch 6, 2016
When i was here i was a warehouse operative. I picked products and then sent them to be packed for customers and sent to their own homes.
Hard work but very well paid.
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Crossways Boulevard, Stone, Kent.October 8, 2015
The first 3 days were spent learning how the automated pick system worked, using the headphones and microphone, and being trained in the safe use of the ride on pallet trucks.
A days work consisted of filling as many pallets as possible with orders from stores. The system told you how many pallets were required for an order and which slot to start your pick from. All fairly easy except the required 1700 cases per shift, which I found difficult to achieve. If I were 10 years younger I may have been able to do it. Most of my co-workers were half my age.
Everyone was very friendly and helped if I had problems with finding special items and working printers.
The management was very supportive and gave me all the help they could in achieving my pick rate but ultimately had to let me go as it was obvious I wasn't going to improve quickly enough. Review took place at 7th week.
Opportunities for advancement to fork lift driving and dispatch or goods-in would have become available after a years service.
Pros
Subsidized meals, friendly and helpful colleagues.
Cons
Hard work with lots of heavy lifting.
Hard work for the desperate
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  GrangemouthAugust 18, 2015
I worked five 8 hour shifts as a picker which had two 30 minute breaks. The day or night shift started by scanning yourself onto the warehouse floor before your shift starts, not more than a minute late, you'll probably get pulled up for it unless your boss is lenient.

You grab your headset, shrink wrap and a low level order picker that is charged. Sometimes you'll be stuck with one about to run out of battery for the first hour or two of your shift.

You login to the automated system and for the next 8 hours, excluding two 30 minute breaks. An annoying robot voice will let you know what to pick, it gets really challenging to cope with that voice after a few months.

You'll pick in batches averaging around 100 items but it can vary from 1 to 300. At the time I worked there the target was 1400 items per 8 hour shift, I believe the target is now higher. Now that doesn't mean you get the same workload every night. 1400 boxes of super noodles is not the same as 1400 boxes of tinned soup. Asda claims the automated system will give everyone a fair and consistent workload every shift. Unfortunately that's not the case, you won't get a breeze of a shift or a total nightmare of a shift but there is still a large variance in workload every shift and between each personnel. This brings in a little bit of anxiety before and during each shift.

The positive aspects, cheap but good quality cafeteria food and at the time colleagues weren't all depress zombies. Pay is also above average for this job type.

The negatives, the workload is intense, more intense than it has to be. After
  more... a few months I started to suffer physical and mentally, something I hadn't experienced before as targets take priority over everything. Most shifts you could be lifting 400-800 boxes that weigh 10-20KG from the floor, shoulder, above or below hip level. Bearing in mind that you'll need to be lifting that at a rate of 3-4 boxes per minute for 7 hours, every shift.

Most people who worked there were on temporary contracts, if you couldn't easily achieve the targets your contact won't be extended. This was the case for myself, they increased the target in my last month by 100 and I came short a few times.

So to conclude this job, it's a typical last ditch unskilled temporary job. It's not the worst job I've had but it's certainly not a pleasant one and the shortest job out of the four I've had. I would not work here again.
Pros
Good cafeteria food
Cons
intense workload
good place to temporary work
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Dartford, ENGJuly 5, 2015
typical day: picking diferent product to stores
I learned driving electric track
the hardest part of the job: lifting heavy staff
Its a good place to work
LGV Driver (Current Employee) –  Grangemouth, SCTMay 17, 2015
Typical day at work.Get issued unit also paperwork for trailer,Do digi card,Then unit checks.Paper work for trailer load.Go hook up trailer.Do trailer check for roadworthiness.Go deliver load to store.
I have learned dry box work also fridge & skeletals.Manual lifting,Health & safety at work.Great co workers.There are no hard parts of the job.I get job satisfaction doing my job.I love driving trucks for a living
Pros
Geat pension.company share save..Subsidised canteen
Cons
shift allowance, unsociable hours extra pay, bonus annually
Okay place to work
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  South WestMarch 27, 2015
Enjoyed working here, it is okay but i think if you want more it is not the right place. I enjoyed the hours and flexibility
Security and progression
Warehouse Operative/Picker (Current Employee) –  Chepstow, WLSFebruary 3, 2015
Typical day is loading or picking but at he moment I am working in GOODS IN. Job security is good but job progression is on the slow side and they won't let anybody with outside qualifications use there training. I work with a good team from various backgrounds. The hardest part of the job is the tight deadlines and the most enjoyable is achieving those targets set.
Pros
colleagues and wages
Cons
not being able to progress my career.
easy job, not a good job
LGV1 Driver (Current Employee) –  falkirkJanuary 28, 2015
poor management, poor planners, lazy workers, hardest part of job is putting up with the above, easiest part of job is being out on the road away from the depot.
Hard Work, Good Salary
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Didcot, OxfordshireJanuary 28, 2015
Uncomplicated work with fairly hard to reach targets offering a very good rate of pay.
Colleagues are fun to work with
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Northampton, ENGJuly 30, 2014
Colleagues are quite interactive and helpful during day-to-day tasks. Managers are approachable, and the company has a very flexible working pattern.

Some tasks are harder than others, but job rotation eases the pressure. Despatch and intake are particularly intensive, because the tasks have to be completed in time. Picking is also timed, and target rates have to be met.

I enjoy helping out when other colleagues need my help.
Pros
christmas dinners and random barbeques
Quality professional
Distribution Officer (Current Employee) –  Northampton, ENGJuly 10, 2014
I take Quality field very seriously, which is why I have decided to choose this field for my career path. I have previously worked at different places such as; 3 – A commercial Ltd. ASDA Distribution, Blacks Plc Northampton, Sports Carriers Ltd., Allied Auto Parts Ltd., and Crestar International as a Quality professional. Where they found me fully professional at all times. I was responsible for quality related issues, which included monitoring, measuring, assessing and documentation. I understand the importance of good quality measures, which is why my approach is hands-on and serious at all times. I have a keen eye, and I often notice things that others simply miss, and I feel this is crucial. I also communicate well when needed to make sure everybody understands their responsibilities, but at the same time I work well alone.

Being a Quality professional, I can offer some valuable qualities which are most important for a professional Quality Officer.
1. Positive attitude towards client and work
13. Attention to policies and procedures
14. Problem solving capacity
fun to work
Warehouse Operative (Redundancy) (Former Employee) –  wiganJune 28, 2014
picking orders for asda, working in stock control, checking barcodes
Pros
games played and prizes won
Cons
made redundant
very produtive and good team work place
Asda employee (Former Employee) –  Chepstow GwentMay 29, 2014
This was a very understanding place to work with not a lot of pressure if you keep your head down and do your job witch is how I and many of the other employees liked it.
Pros
fast paced work
Cons
agency work
fast paced
Agency Supervisor (Former Employee) –  lymedaleMarch 20, 2014
a very productive busy warehouse. i first started in the core then moved over to the dot com side after four week, were i was in charge of the agencey workers, also to pick orders and train up when needed
Pros
close to home
Cons
only temp
Developing from within
Warehouse Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Lutterworth, ENGJanuary 31, 2014
I have gained significant management skills and demonstrate these skills on a daily basis. I enjoy helping to develop others to achieve their goal. My current job is very involved and helps me have a more personal touch with my colleagues.
Pros
great team and also great benefits. family orientated business
a forever changing company behind times
Transport Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lutterworth, ENGSeptember 16, 2013
use to be family minded,new wave management and ideas changed
to make a more stressful place to work staff could not cope with extra work loads the best years at asda were their earlier years before implementing changes for the worse.
Pros
paid breaks, pension, sick pay
Cons
restriction on allowed hours to work
Woking in a fast paced FFFC enviroment dealing with daily challenges and providing solutions to ensure service to our customer base
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Skelmersdale C.D.C. MerseysideApril 14, 2013
Dealing with average volumes of 200,000 cases daily. Operating a clear floor 24 hour Operation. Learning to deal with daily issues such as transfer of labour resourse,traffic delays,achieving set business plan, engaging and coaching Management Team to deliver results.
Motivating all colleagues engaging them to surpass targets and maintain standards in service and presentation to our customer.
Maintaining colleague buy in so as to deliver our expectations.
Finishing a shift fulfilling our objectives and setting a good base from which the next shift can continue to deliver excellent service.
Pros
discount at all retail outlets, share option scheme
not the best employer
warehouse teamleader (Current Employee) –  wiganApril 4, 2013
clock in and go onto shop floor, same unvaried thing every day (mundane) goods in receiving,gls, gds, driver complaints, supplier complaints.
learned mhe instruction.
managers are poor the company has forced the fight out of them,co-workers are good, the hardest pat of the job is going into work, once through the door you accept it for what it is,
the most enjoyable part of the job is the way all the other colleagues understand you because they feel the same way
Pros
your fellow colleagues
Cons
the cold (chill & freezer distribution)