Asheville City Schools Employee Reviews

Overall Asheville City Schools excels at providing education and support for their students.
Assistant Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 10, 2014
I think the role of teacher never ends in the classroom, and that is something that is part of being a good and effective teacher. Of course this means that often the families of teachers suffer because the priority tends to be students over families. Management is a huge issue in the school system. If the leadership is more concerned with the outward appearance of the situation and not the fundamental principles that guide than there is something wrong that needs to be examined. Discrimination can be subtle and I think that the job culture suffered from the subtle ways that employees were treated more than obvious differences. There was a sense of hierarchy, which I did not always feel was based on the skills of employees but the perceptions of said employees. Many times employees went through extreme crisis, and the attitude directed at them was just get over it. I think there should be help for long term employees in the school who are in crisis in order to come up with solutions that benefit both the school and the employee.
Pros
a school system, which has worked incredibly hard to empower minorities in education.
Cons
employees were overlooked and mistreated often based on prejudices of some management
Great staff and community within the faculty
Spanish Teacher & Coach (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 27, 2014
Hardest part was keeping up with the district trends and schedule changes around testing. Most enjoyable part was teaching the students, flexibility in lesson plans and time for co-planning with other teachers.
Pros
asheville city schools foundation, avid program, smart boards, teacher laptops
Cons
no duty free lunch
Academic setting where all students can learn.
Teacher, Exceptional Children (Former Employee) –  Asheville NCJuly 22, 2014
I served as a Special Education teacher for eight years. I worked with students and staff for academic needs. On average I had 12 to 15 students on my caseload. Also, I had staff of two assistants as support staff. I was responsible for adults and students.
Pros
helping others succeed.
Cons
no opportunity for career advancement
Must be dedicated.
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 9, 2014
There is a lot of coordination involved. Must enjoy collecting data.

4.4