Asheville City Schools Employee Reviews

Progressive Teaching Environment
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 25, 2017
I have worked for Asheville City Schools for the past 3 years. In that time, I have had excellent job securtiy, solid health benefits and paid time off. I have enjoyed these perks of the job very much. However, the field in which I work, Behavioral Education, where I manage a high volume of children with special needs, is very stressful. There is a lot of paperwork, along with the expectations of running the classroom to meet every student's level of education. I work with grade levels K-5.
Pros
benefits, vacation time and decent pay.
Cons
high stress, extremely high expectations, hurt on the job
The teachers and students are high quality
Member (Former Employee) –  asheville, NCJune 7, 2017
Small district, low trust, high needs students. Magnet School themes at elementary, excellent high school options for any student, and whatever their interests.
Pros
High achieving schools
Cons
culture, turnover
Great place to get teaching experience.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 22, 2017
Very good place to work. Substitutes are always needed. The pay is very good. You can work everyday if you want to. Good salary. Management is very supportive. Great training!
Cons
No benefits
as of 2015 - a typical "inner-city" school district
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 11, 2017
Worked as a substitute teacher - a hard job in most school. Left feeling disillusioned. This is because I am an idealist who struggles seeing how awful schools are.
Overall needs help
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 30, 2017
There is not good parent support for many of the students there.

There is racial tension. Blacks feel they need more, but in this system the Blacks feel racist and needy.

Not good leadership because very political.

There is favoritism...

Buncombe County and Asheville City schools should be ONE System!!!!
Pros
Has many courses to offer
Cons
Need one school system not two
Very fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 23, 2017
I loved being involved with students. It was always different every day. It was nice to see kids accomplish some of their goals.
Fun workplace
Child Nutrition and Food Server (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 4, 2015
Prepping and cooking food. Setting up the portion sizes and putting food on the line. Cashier end of day financial documents. The kids were awesome.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible hrs.
Cons
short breaks
Academic setting where all students can learn.
Teacher, Exceptional Children (Former Employee) –  Asheville NCJuly 22, 2014
I served as a Special Education teacher for eight years. I worked with students and staff for academic needs. On average I had 12 to 15 students on my caseload. Also, I had staff of two assistants as support staff. I was responsible for adults and students.
Pros
Helping others succeed.
Cons
No opportunity for career advancement
Must be dedicated.
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 9, 2014
There is a lot of coordination involved. Must enjoy collecting data.
Great staff and community within the faculty
Spanish Teacher & Coach (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 27, 2014
Hardest part was keeping up with the district trends and schedule changes around testing. Most enjoyable part was teaching the students, flexibility in lesson plans and time for co-planning with other teachers.
Pros
Asheville City Schools Foundation, AVID program, Smart Boards, teacher laptops
Cons
No duty free lunch
Overall Asheville City Schools excels at providing education and support for their students.
Assistant Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 10, 2014
I think the role of teacher never ends in the classroom, and that is something that is part of being a good and effective teacher. Of course this means that often the families of teachers suffer because the priority tends to be students over families. Management is a huge issue in the school system. If the leadership is more concerned with the outward appearance of the situation and not the fundamental principles that guide than there is something wrong that needs to be examined. Discrimination can be subtle and I think that the job culture suffered from the subtle ways that employees were treated more than obvious differences. There was a sense of hierarchy, which I did not always feel was based on the skills of employees but the perceptions of said employees. Many times employees went through extreme crisis, and the attitude directed at them was just get over it. I think there should be help for long term employees in the school who are in crisis in order to come up with solutions that benefit both the school and the employee.
Pros
A school system, which has worked incredibly hard to empower minorities in education.
Cons
Employees were overlooked and mistreated often based on prejudices of some management