Ashford University

Ashford University Employer Reviews

Rewarding Educational Experience
Virtual Student MBA Information Systems (Current Employee), Clinton, IANovember 12, 2014
Pros: great foundation for professional career building.
Cons: requires a lot of dedication and self discipline.
Online courses run 6 weeks, each week progresses through course material several focused topics each week. Postings interact with instructor and fellow students, tests and assignments are submitted each week for grading. Very rewarding and educational experience.
Very good review
Online Mathematics Professor (Current Employee), Clinton, IANovember 5, 2014
Great review. Great school! I teach mathematics as I am an online math professor.
no longer in business
Tuition Assistance Counselor (Former Employee), davenport iaOctober 30, 2014
no longer in business. the boss was a terrible man, like the fact of owning his own business, but didn't know how to run a business.
Productive, and fun place to work when you aren't stressing
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: changing lives and helping people achieve thier goals
• Identifying and Qualifying Prospective Students
• Handles all office equipment
• Maximize opportunities with potential students with regard to outbound telephone calls with the intent to qualify prospective students regarding the admissions process and program offerings consistent with the University's academic catalogs and/or University websites
 – more... Develop and adhere to an effective call strategy that includes communicating effective messages to potential students either through oral or written communications. This call strategy may be long term based on student circumstances and needs
• Schedule and conduct admissions interviews
• Identify and address concerns of prospective students
• Has the ability to meet the needs of a diverse student population in order to ensure an overall positive back-to-school experience – less
Good
Director, Financial Aid/Policy and Compliance (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 25, 2014
Pros: good programs
Cons: management
Good employees and instructors. nice facilities. good job placement,
Changing
Lead Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), San DiegoOctober 21, 2014
Your role is short lived. Just like life itself your time is short
Telephone Sales?Recruiting
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee), Clinton, IAOctober 19, 2014
This was a telephone sales/recruiting job where I sourced qualified potential students and guided them through the enrollment process to the end of their first class.
AWESOME PEOPLE TO WORK WITH
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 13, 2014
Learned to collaborate with others in order to accomplish team goals.
The environment was constantly changing,preventing us from getting accustomed to the same everyday.
Teaching Online
Associate Faculty (Current Employee), OnlineOctober 8, 2014
I like Ashford, they really do not hassle you if you do what is required. They have students who want to learn and are efficiently run.
cold calling prospective students
Lead Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Denver ColoardoOctober 1, 2014
talking prospective students into getting their bachelor's degree
Great people and innovative environment
Student Records Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: change for the better
Cons: budgetary restrictions
I love my current role. I manage up to 9 people and have the opportunity to help them grow and advance. I work with my team to evaluate current process and update to be more efficient and provide better customer service. Every day is a challenge and full of excitement in a culture of change and innovation.
Student Activities Representative
Military Student Advisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2014
Planned and organized events for students, staff, faculty, and community for Alliant International University from 2003 to 2007.
Terrible company
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 22, 2014
This company had a similar feel to what a cattle call must be like. The management team could care less about it's employees and uses them to harass potential students. When you are brought on as an enrollment advisor you are told you will be "changing peoples lives" when you are in face destroying many of them. They target the poorest areas of the – more... U.S and ask students to sign up for student loans they may never be able to pay back. They are told to sign up for degree programs that will never hold up when applying for jobs or trying to transfer to other colleges.

Simply google this company and you can see what a scam it really is. – less
A daily grind
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: stable competitive pay, free tuition at the university while you are employed there
Cons: no job stability, very little transparency
The admissions counselor role at Ashford University is very sales oriented. You aren't actually selling anything, but ALL of the same methods, tactics, and metrics are implemented as are in a typical sales office.
Good money, poor management, THIS IS A SALES JOB
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), Kearny MesaSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: money, work environment, location
Cons: sales job, high pressure, business practices
CONS - Don't let them fool you, this is first and foremost a SALES job, a high pressure sales job with numbers playing God. If you are the type of person who likes to help people for the sake of helping them, this is probably not for you. High enrollers are favored by everyone. Retention of students at this school is terrible because people are selling – more... people on education that they really don't need, don't want or are not fit to take on, so they get through one or two classes and drop out, and end up owing the government money. This is because numbers are the only thing that matter to the higher-ups, starting with Admissions Managers going all the way up to Bill Ness and beyond.

HOWEVER, there are some students who benefit greatly from online schooling and Ashford IS one of the best and most affordable of the online universitites. I am not a high enroller, but I retain students. That is because I only enroll people who WANT and NEED to go to school and are ready to take it on. I don't feel comfortable selling and pushing people into it. Because of that, I am generally treated poorly by my manager and director.

My manager is very arrogant, there's a lot of drama within the company, a lot of turnover. Your job is NOT secure here if you work in Admissions. Also, my manager and director tend to talk smack about their employees and/or fellow managers which I find extremely disrespectful.

Another con is that everything is HIGHLY regulated and monitored. Forget about freedom, it doesn't exist here. You are basically working for Big Brother. Your calls are monitored for quality assurance and compliance, this I understand. However you can't do ANYTHING here without getting corrective action. Including checking your cell phone, checking your personal e-mail, not outbound dialing for more than 5-10 minutes at a time and so on. Your breaks and lunch periods are structured and you can rarely veer from that structure even though they tell you you can. You HAVE to take your breaks at the same time everyone else is unless you come in earlier that day

If you don't enroll someone for a week or you fail to get a transcript request page you will basically be hazed. They think of it as a form of motivation but it's purely negative.

PROS: I may have just landed an arrogant jerk of a manager, some people in Admissions have more freedom and positive reinforcement than I do and they have a less stressful day/week/month at work. However, this doesn't mean their job is more secure. If they don't hit their numbers, they will eventually be fired. They are hiring a lot of new people right now who will replace the people getting laid off, and in 6 more months those being hired now will be fired, too to make room for more new hires.

The work environment minus the managers and regulation is generally upbeat and light. There's a great team culture. The people you got hired with you tend to make strong bonds with. I made great friends at Ashford. I've also gotten a lot of great experience and coaching that I hope to turn around and use at a real university one day.

Another pro is that there is a cafeteria (although overpriced) and a coffee stand at the location in Kearny Mesa. Food trucks come sometimes as well.

The building is a nice place to work.

Pro #1 is that the salaray is good. For an entry-level position for people who just graduated last year like myself, this is great money. You get good benefits as well. It will be hard to beat this salary without getting a Master's degree. – less
The people you work with are the best!
student/enrollment advisor (Former Employee), san diegoSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: good benefits and vacation time
Cons: unorganized management at times
The people are the best part about working there. Very positive job environment for the most part.
Great Place to Work!
Military Student Advisor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2014
Pros: working with students, co workers, room for growth within the company
Cons: occassionally, we would encounter an an irate student, but these were opportunities to grow professionally
Ashford University really is a great place to work! I was able, on a daily basis, to speak with students whoo were pursuing and getting closer and closer to earning a degree. The best part was many of these students were coming back to school after 10+ years off and I had the privilege of being here to help. I learned the skill of working with a team, – more... managing more than 100 students, and how to encourage my students to not give up, even when things were hard. All in all, a really good place to work. – less
ok
Financial Services Lead (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2014
work is study, a lot of changes right now. Management is made up of some intelligent individuals.
Challenging Environment with opportunities for growth
Admissions Counselor and Admissions Manager (Former Employee), Clinton, IAAugust 15, 2014
Responsible for student recruitment, retention and advisement for the online programs in a call center setting.
The Vision
Director, Business Development (Current Employee), RemoteJuly 18, 2014
Great vision to support America's working class and provide opportunities through higher education.

1 2 3 4 5

About Ashford University

You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. – Read more