Ashford University Employee Reviews

Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 21, 2017
Working from home is cool. You can do it from whenever and wherever. A consistent schedule would be perfect. No opportunity for advancement. Just good part time. People are people, therefore it is not perfect. Sometimes the course monitor can nit-pick your work. You can tell it's because someone is watching them. It would be great if suggestions were focused and meaningful, not just someone covering themselves. Students get a great education if they want. Those who are there for an easy A or those who are poor students and do not plan to work will always be there. You just have to stand firm with them.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No opportunity for advancement, not secure
Educational
Lead Admissions Counselor / Lead Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 30, 2017
Working at the University was very educating. I enjoyed helping the students strive and reach for success. Sometimes they could be challenging, but being patient and helping them through their life situations to reach their goals was rewarding. The challenges came more with the structure. They came in one day and changed many employees positions without consultation and they switched students we would work with. This takes away from the trust and student experience.
Pros
Great learning opportunity
Cons
Company Restructuring
Employee-retention focuses enhances their culture
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 25, 2017
Your success is your security. It can be a stressful job; keep your motivation afloat and leave your work at work. Your greatest challenge will be to motivate others in addition to yourself. Management cares, but even they feel the "top-down pressures." Knowing just that fact can justify some behaviors. Coaching-culture is strong. Personal development and growth can be made in strides. Though, don't be fooled. It won't come easy.
Pros
Coworkers, team-dynamics
Cons
Job security
Micromanged Call Center Model
Financial Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 23, 2017
An average day consisted of constant incoming calls regarding Financial status and stipend questions. We were extremely micromanaged and could only change our phone status out of our skill line for small periods a day.
Pros
free lunches, great team members
Cons
micromanaged, call center, consistently yelled at by students all day
golden handcuffs
Admissions Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 18, 2017
AU compensates well. But there is little room for impacting change in the organizational flaws and therefore it can be this relentless climb each day to make leaders happy. Employees are poorly treated as individuals, however the benefits and pay is solid. so....
Faculty expectations very demanding; Compensation for hours worked not adequate
Online Associate Faculty (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 18, 2017
Faculty expectations are very labor intensive. There is a reason that you are only allowed to teach one class at a time. One course requires over 24 hours per week in labor. With courses being five weeks, students really struggle with trying to keep up.
Pros
For students, five-week courses means a fast track toward a degree
Cons
It is very easy for faculty to burn out when you realize how many hours you must put in.
Competitive caring atmosphere in a high paced postition
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 16, 2017
I enjoyed working at Ashford. I still talk to many of my co workers and would recommend Ashford as a great place to work. They offer so many different jobs as well as a possible way to advance.
Pros
Group events at professional sports games
Cons
Stressfull if you don't hit your sales numbers.
Ashford is not education
Associate Faculty-Online (Former Employee) –  OnlineMay 13, 2017
Courses are more suitable for high-school sophomores. Ashford is about profit, not education. Incompetent department chairs not understanding content and rigor for legitimate course offerings.
I learned a lot from working at AU. Great people to work with.
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2017
AU is an interesting place to work. There are great people working there. The turnover rate is high because the job is naturally competitive. You have to constantly perform and out do your teammates to be efficient.
Pros
Helping people graduate from college
Cons
High turnover rate
Sales Environment
Military Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 26, 2017
A typical work day is several hours on the phone talking with students. They offer great benefits; however there is a stressful sales environment. Management is focused on every number that can be measured.
Great place to work for recent college grad
Enrollment Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2017
The training program that Ashford University puts new hires through is phenomenal. They take the time to invest in their employees and ensure that they have the proper knowledge and tools to succeed. For some, the most challenging part of the job might be getting accustomed to cold calling but with a little time this is easy for most to overcome.
Enrollment
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2017
Call center, calling dead leads trying to convince people to enroll in school. Most people dont want to go, you have to have atleast 3 students finish their first course per month.
Fair work place in a fast paced environment
Lead Financial Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 21, 2017
As with any company there remains room for improvement, but as years go by things continually change. Employees must be adaptive and prepared to adjust to managerial needs.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
limitted advancement in many departments
Exciting
Adjunct Business Instructor (Current Employee) –  Clinton, IAApril 17, 2017
I love working with the company. You have hands on experience with the students and questions are answered promptly with advisors and managers. I love how they help with online support.
Good company
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  San DiegoApril 12, 2017
Good Company with great co-workers. The most difficult aspect of the job is developing your client base. However, once client base is put together, other aspects of the job are very enjoyable and not too strenuous if you enjoy sales and communicating with others.
Pros
Good job with strong comradery between co-workers
Cons
High turnover
Ssc
Admissions Counselor /Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 6, 2017
Ashford was not the best place to work. The executives did not really care about their employees nor their customers. They only looked at the numbers which caused for very poor recruiting practices.
I left on good terms!
Enrollment Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 3, 2017
Ashford University was good to me for the two and a half years that I was there. Only thing that bothered me to the point that I left was the really low morale. If you are interested in working there, you have to really be flexible. The only thing constant there is change. For example, I had 8 different managers in the time that I was there. Other than that, it wasn't that bad. I had an opportunity to work with some really amazing people (and not so amazing)!
Pros
Tuition Assistance
Cons
Low morale
great work environment
College Advisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 1, 2017
great work environment. worked for the company four years. left because of family emergency. loved to help students find them life. great benefits for employees
Good for some...not for most
Student Services Auditor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2017
As an auditor, I was given a lot of autonomy in my job. It was low stress with realistic goals and deadlines. I enjoyed working with the people on my team.
Pros
A decent job that is low stress and can lead to other opportunities
Cons
The pay was on the low end
Fun place to work.
Graduate Advisor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 27, 2017
Excellent culture of sharing among other Graduate Advisors. Work load was pretty consistent with similar activities on a daily basis. Excellent manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ashford University. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5