Ashford University Employee Reviews in United States

College at work
Enrollment Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 29, 2016
Ashford is an online university. Service is provided to potential students throughout the United States. You will learn so much about the financial aid process, and other payment options for college. The most enjoyable part of the job is the connection and relationship built with the students.
Pros
College environment in a corporate setting
Cons
Healthcare benefits are high
Great Salary and Tons of Support
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCApril 5, 2016
For those with a masters degree and a solid professional background, Ashford pays very well compared to brick and mortar schools, and gives you generous support and feedback, with clear benchmarks for advancement.

It is retention driven, but there is a lot of emphasis on instruction and supporting the students. It's given me a lot of insight regarding teaching and being patient, especially with non-traditional students.
Pros
Salary, professional advancement
Cons
Application process is very lengthy, and there is no guarantee of course assignment
Close coworkers and challenging work
Enrollment Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 22, 2016
Provides an encouraging environment to acquire new skills. Always challenging work and changing expectations. Teams provide wonderful camaraderie and support. New methods constantly provided to improve effective and efficient work.
Pros
Coworkers, encouraging management
Cons
Competitive sales environment
Your team manager makes a huge difference
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2016
Having a strong and fair manager can really guide you.
It is a sales environment despite that technically you cannot say it is.
I worked for the company when it was smaller and still growing so the perks were great originally but as companies grow things change.
Still overall a good experience.
Those who didn't succeed or enjoy it were those who did not like the sales aspect and were better off in different departments
Pros
Quarterly employee events
Sales focus, not student-focused
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 21, 2016
This company is more concerned about numbers and profits than it is about employees or students. Their job is to provide a quality education, but they do not seem to care about that. If you are a sales-driven person, than this might be the place for you.
Pros
nice offices
Cons
profit-focused rather than student or employee focused
Telemarketing guised as opportunity and hope
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 9, 2016
Majority of your day...in fact, ALL of your day, is spent cold-calling complete strangers and trying to guilt them into enrolling in an online university. There are metrics and quotas abound - they are always changing, and if you do not meet them you get let go. On the bright side, if you like "Workaholics" this might be for you.
Pros
Free RTD light rail pass
Cons
You go home every day feeling sketchy
Very nice work culture.
Enrollment Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2016
Company has many problems with training of the ESA's positions and has a lot of kinks to work out. A good company and a nice pay for the short amount of time you work there. The company has you meet a quota for the amount of students you have to coach through a five week introduction course.
great place to work
Student Reengagement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 8, 2016
Getting the chance to genuinely help others was a very satisfying opportunity. The motto "every student, every time" was definitely the culture at this school, and was reflected by leadership. Would recommend this company to friends and family as a desirable place to work.
Pros
excellent leadership
Cons
if I have to pick a con, pay could be a little higher but it was comparable for the area
Best People I have met work here
Military Engagement - Higher Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2016
I have gained life skills and given complete freedom at work. They re-hire old employees and although there are some old school sales managers that are not the best at setting an example, there are real leaders in this organization. Love this place.
Pros
You can be yourself
Cons
great difference in pay between pre and post commission reps
Treat adjuncts like dirt
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  OnlineJune 5, 2016
My new-adjunct training was not adequate. It was too short and general. For example, we did not learn how to calculate online grades, so when I was assigned my first class, I was very nervous calculating final grades, and I asked a dean to check my grades before I submitted them. Unfortunately, when an instructor calculates students' scores, the grades automatically go to the registrar; there is no save/send button which I have seen in all other systems I have used. I made a mistake that resulted in only one grade change, but the school reacted by telling me my services were no longer needed and by cancelling my faculty email account. Lord knows what would have happened if I had told them that there was a big problem with the curriculum I had to follow or if I had told them that someone needs to proofread their Web pages and online professional development lectures.
Pros
Online teaching
Cons
No job security/weak new-faculty orientation
Direct supervisor was great, enjoyed job responsibilities, executive management made decision based on the what stockholders were looking to receive..
Student Affairs (Former Employee) –  Clinton, IAFebruary 11, 2016
Direct supervisor was great, enjoyed job responsibilities, executive management made decisions based on the what stockholders were looking to receive, rather than what was beneficial for the employees.
Energetic fast paced,
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 5, 2016
I enjoyed the atmosphere of Ashford as I was assisting with fellow military personnel. It was demanding and stressful at times, yet stayed focused on the student and was able to lean multi facet of the operations of the University.
Great Place to Work!
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 12, 2016
It’s an amazing place to work at. It teaches you and makes you grow with it! It’s a place for hard working and smart people.
Pros
It makes you a professional
Cons
The industry has taken a lot a beating lately.
Worked their for three years
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 6, 2016
Great Place! Friendly environment with a youthful feel. The work is rewarding if you let it be and you can leave at the end of the day knowing you helped someone with their educational goal.
Pros
Facilities are nice
Cons
Nothing unusual- great place to work
Great Company
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clinton, IAMarch 29, 2016
Overall great company. I really enjoyed being a teaching assistant online. I wish that the position was not eliminated. Maybe they will bring the teaching assistant job back in the future.
Pros
Good working environment online
Cons
Big class sizes
Fast paced busy company
Executive Assistant to the President/CEO (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2016
I love a challenge and work best under pressure. It is a very fast paced company that is growing fast. Changes occur daily. Your hard work is appreciated.
Pros
Completing all my tasks and projects in time.
Cons
Not having enough time in a day.
great culture great enviornment
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 17, 2016
Awesome employer. Top notch training tools and culture. Fun environment great people .Very nice facilities. Diverse work culture.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Limited opportnunity
Not A Great Place to Work...
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 13, 2016
Goals are unrealistic for the leads received, on the phone tediously all day......management is always uptight.
Very stressful environment, don't recommend this job to anyone!
Great working environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clinton, IAJuly 6, 2016
Learned the ins and outs of the world of college education
interacted with faculty and staff at a level i never would have gotten to had i not had this job.
Great experience
Great Place but not good management
Enrollment Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 3, 2016
Be careful of what management tells you that you can say on the phone. Somethings that they say is ok will get you fired. just stay positive and you should be ok.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ashford University. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4