Aspen Dental Employee Reviews in United States

Not a good fit for me
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHMarch 11, 2016
Corporate dentistry is an awful business. From the outside looking in it looks like a great business plan, but the reality is a high pressure sales environment disguised as an Office Manager job. I spent about 10 minutes a day managing. The rest of the day was scheduling people, answering phones and selling dentures.

If you are truly looking for an Administrative Position DO NOT work at Aspen Dental. I gave it a year, but it just got worse as I went on so I started looking elsewhere.

As an aside, the DA's work terrible hours and are paid poorly as are the PSR's. Always understaffed. No wonder there is a 60% turnover rate for this job. Company is young. IF they don't learn to take care of their people, they will be successful, but not a company anyone looks to move to as a career move.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
no work life balance, high sales pressure selling
A nightmare!
dental assistant (Current Employee) –  Florida Keys, FLMarch 27, 2016
Very stressfu! unprofessional! Bad pay! I have to say this place is something else. Schedules are hectic, They don't care what it takes as long as they reach their month! Patients are always being misinformed by front desk personal. Office managers don't care about anything but their bonuses!! They hire just about anyone!!. if you are not the dentist in this company then you are no one
Pros
Benefits, vacation time
Cons
bad management, bad pay, bad scheduling
Horrible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIMarch 12, 2016
Pros: Clinical staff, dentist, patients

Cons: All about money, upper management, hours

Management is terrible. Aspen likes to hire people with no dental experience and put them in charge of everything. Expect to get moderate amount of overtime every paycheck. I guess that could be a good or bad thing.. Besides the rare occasion you get a full lunch. good luck finding time to have a life outside of work. The clinical staff are awesome. Management and upper management however are all about the money and could care less about the patients and staff actually doing the work. A lot of promises that are never fulfilled. Pay is terrible. Staff overturn is ridiculous. Prepare to have at least one new staff member every couple months and about 80% of patients mad about things not in your control.
Pros
The hardworking Clinical staff & dentist, patients
Cons
All about money, upper management, hours
Nice place for people new to dentistry
Dental Assistant/Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHJanuary 29, 2016
Aspen dental gave me the opportunity to gain experience in dentistry when I was fresh out of school. The benefits were great!
Pros
Benefits, room for advancement.
Cons
Professionalism, hourly pay not so great.
Bullying
DENTAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJanuary 31, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Aspen, but what I didn't like was being bullied by the lead DA. When brought to the attention of the office manager nothing was done. When I kept bringing up to the office manager I was told that I was not a team player. The lead DA there is a bully and if you don't do as she likes then she makes your life there heck. If I was scheduled to work 8-5, I would get a 10 minute lunch and work until 6 or 7, but all other DA's would get a full lunch and got to leave on time. Each Aspen is privately owned by a dentist and the dentist that owns Benton Harbor Aspen didn't even ask me for my side of the story. Poor management and leadership.
Pros
Great Drs.
Cons
Lead DA
Busy place, and learned a lot in the beginning
Patient Service Representative (PSR) (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYFebruary 17, 2016
When I started great place to work. Great Co-Workers and learned from everyone there. Management wasn't helpful in the end of my employment there. Most enjoyable part of the job was my Co-workers in the beginning, and I loved the patients. Talking with them and enjoying their stories. Love office work setting.
Pros
Co-Workers
Waste of time
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Dickson, TNJuly 4, 2016
First of all, the Dickson Tn office was one of the worst places I have ever worked. The attitude of the office manager and current PSR was a daily battle of who could demean or ridicule the staff the most. They also enjoyed making fun of the current dentist and his wife. When this behavior was mentioned to the regional manager, I was told that he felt I could be a solution to the problem. My take on the situation is that since the Dickson office is the largest revenue generators in the region, this behavior has not been corrected. In fact, I trained at other Aspen offices in the region, and any employee who had worked with or in Dickson stated they would never work that manager or PSR again. My advice is to stay as far away from the Aspen dental office as possible, particularly if you value respect and mature behavior.
Pros
Cons
gossip, ridicule, poor training, and immaturity
Horrible company to work for
Scheduling Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 23, 2016
I was employed in the corporate office for almost a year. Working in the scheduling center is horrible because of so many reasons. You get only two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute one. You will be on the phone non stop making appts and fighting with people trying to get them to schedule appts so you can keep your percentages up. This job is a complete sales job and they expect you to meet unrealistic expectations with their sales quotas or you get fired. You will be constantly "coached" on changes you need to make to sell more appts for them. The job is beyond stressful and I have never felt more relieved since leaving.
Pros
The pay is $11.15/hr
Cons
No job security, tons of sales pressure, employees are expendable
Foot in the door
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  SouthMay 21, 2016
If you are trying to get your foot in the door to dental or practice management then this might be a good fit. However, the support and culture is poor at best. They preach "bleeding blue" but fail miserably when it comes to supporting that culture. The left hand does not talk to the right and much is lost along the way. Trying to take vacations or a day off are like trying to get something passed in congress. Work with a doctor who doesn't want to work? Good luck. Ask for help with how to push? Good luck. The company that preaches "do what's right for the patient" pushes it to the side for the sake of profits and maintaining company growth projections.
Cons
Long work hours, expensive, poor healthcare benefits, denied vacation requests
Productive and busy workplace with excellent benefits.
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 23, 2016
I work in a very productive and busy office. There was always something to do if you had downtime and I was constantly learning new things everyday. I loved working with people and it made my day knowing I helped someone. The health benefits were very good.

Want to know more about Aspen Dental?

Ask a question
Terrible place to work
dental assistant (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXNovember 18, 2015
Management is terrible. Aspen likes to hire people with no dental experience and put them in charge of everything. Expect to get at least 20 hrs overtime every paycheck. I guess that could be a good or bad thing.. Besides the rare occasion you get a full lunch. good luck finding time to have a life outside of work. The clinical staff are awesome. Management and upper management however are all about the money and could care less about the patients and staff actually doing the work. A lot of promises that are never fulfilled. Pay is terrible. Staff overturn is ridiculous. Prepare to have at least one new staff member every couple months and about 80% of patients mad about things not in your control.
Pros
Clinical staff, dentist, patients
Cons
All about money, upper management, hours
Office manager
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 20, 2016
I was an office manager with aspen dental of 9 months. I worked over 50 hours a week and had no work/life balance. This job has extremely high turn over rate due to upper management lack of respect and appreciation for the employees of the company. Since being employed with the company I have had 3 three regional manager in 1 1/2 years. They are more forced on the bottom dollar and there metrics then treating the employees and patients with respect. I would highly reconsider this company unless you want to be over worked and under payed.
Pros
free dental work
Cons
upper management, very corporate, metric driven
Do not work here
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLFebruary 16, 2016
Awesome Coworkers, Management turn over rate is insane, so communication and organization of office is outrageous. Constant illegal treatment plans being rendered in the Vero Beach location. Corporate company, they do not care about the patients only what type of insurance you have so they can tell EVERY patient you need a $2,000 crown or root canal.
Stay away from this place
Dental Assistant MJ (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLMarch 6, 2016
Unappreciated
Underpaid had to go to foodbank to feed kids even though I worked 40 hrs/wk
Work through lunch
Stay late
Stressed staff
Selfish upper mgmt
No christmas party ba hum bug
Did I say unappreciated
Mgmt herd patients like cattle
Dental assistants blamed for everything bad even though it is clearly the incompetent docs
Unappreciated
Make you feel inferior
Overworked staff
Did I say underpaid?
Unappreciated not even a simple thank you with a holiday party. Docs couldn't even put a holiday party together for staff...Gross
Thank god we live in america and aren't forced to work or be a patient here
Pros
Great Lab Techs and DA's
Cons
Waking up and having to be a part of that...peace!
Great place to work if you love helping people
Dental Assistance Extern (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAJune 14, 2016
Aspen Dental gave me the opportunity to gain experience in dentistry during my internship while finishing up Charter College. I got to experience a lot of challenging duties which really helped me grow in my career field. Wonderful co-workers and learned from everyone there. Management was very helpful and got to work with some of the amazing patients, love talking to them and enjoy hearing their stories.
Pros
Great balance work and home, opportunity for advancement, helping people
Great team efforts
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHNovember 30, 2015
Team meetings learned insurance look up and great customer service. Answering phones in a timely manner. Management was good lots of changes due to moving to a new location. Working with co workers at aspen dental was amazing everyone was nice and when I asked questions they were there to answer them. I must say that the hardest part of this job for me was that I am dyslexic, So with that my spelling was sometimes off and labeling charts were backwards of in a different order. The most enjoyable part of my job was the coworkers and patients that came in.
productive work enivorment, great staff and team work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Stratford,ctOctober 6, 2015
productive work place with disorganized upper management. all about the numbers and meeting monthly budget. opportunity for personally growth and development. decent amount of red tape and politics.
Pros
lunch in learns, training at corperate headquaters
Cons
high turn over, upper management, botom line money over patients
The best part about working there is the people
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYJune 22, 2016
I've learned that not all the jobs you go into are fun, but the people (coworkers, the management, and the patients) are the best part. So many different life stories can be all around you and not notice them normally. But when you see the stories connect in that one place.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see patients smile at the end of their appointment, but that is also the hardest part of the job as well. But I loved every minute of it!!!!!
Unprofessional management
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Port Richey, FLMay 9, 2016
The training is very minimal. Cross training is possible if you're a go getter and just start learning. Management is unprofessional and treats employees like their "workers" no respect. I honestly dealt with only 2 doctors and 1 hygienist who cared. The DA's are all awesome and helpful but good luck with the doctor and manager and regional manager alike. Unfortunately I worked for three different regions in the Central Florida are so I speak for them as a whole.
Very poor unresponsive management.
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MAApril 17, 2016
Aspen has added to the workload that it is impossible to maintain any quality or keep up with. No support from management. They continue to add duties but not increase pay or benefits. Some of the worst benefits in the industry. Management has no business or management training. Very poor people skills and complete lack of employee support. Aspen has an enormous attrition rate.
Pros
Nobody knows what they are doing so skills and training are not required.
Cons
All employees are disposable and easily replaced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aspen Dental. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9