Aspen Dental

Aspen Dental Employer Reviews

Apply with Aspen...be careful....
Office employee (Former Employee), United StatesFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: when you win contest you recieve prizes (2months after contest), (if your higher on the totem pole: the bonuses and compensation is great)
Cons: lack of advancement, laxed management from corp offiice, short breaks, expensive healthcare, lack of compensation, no bonuses
First and foremost, the people I work with; within the home office I am apart of, are great individuals. Smiling faces, working relationships quickly turned into life long friendships and those are the things one looks forward to when working with Aspen ( or any company for that matter.) Sure there will always be quirks within peoples personalities – more... however ultimately the people I work with are the only reason I have stayed with this company; well that and the unfortunate difficulty to find a better job. A majority of the patients are amazing and extremely appreciative to receive the care and concern they have not been receiving at other dental practices. The looks on the faces of the men and women as they walk out smiling unlike they have smiled in 4, 10 or even 20+ years is a rewarding feeling and one I could not take away from the job.
However being employed by Aspen Dental, one is quickly shown the downfall of corporate life (when the corporation is run by a money hungry, unappreciative, employee non-savvy group of individuals). Having a work/life balance is almost non existent with this company especially when they request of you to work the overtime (when it is a benefit to them) and then shun and/or chastise you for doing just that. Depending on the position you are in, the ability for advancement is available but at what cost? If advancing means you are unable to have a social/family life outside of work. you push yourself to the max working for years in one position with promise of advancement/compensation and recognition only to be dragged through the mud and be told (unapologetically) there is no where to advance to or that it will take more years and proof to show you are "worthy" of advancement then I would rather work at a run of the muck bar making tips. Doctors can make large lump sum bonuses every month however the rest of the "team" doesn't make a single thing. If it takes a team to run an office then a team should be receiving a bonus.
There are many things I could say about this company as a whole to try and express how much I would not advise another to apply with this company however I will simply leave you with this:
"A happy employee, a thriving company" Patient satisfaction is necessary however employee satisfaction is a must; and when you're main focus is that of the patient you loose site of what it is to have a happy employee and that matters just as much if not more than having a good post on Google maps about your company. – less
gettin better at your job every day
Dental Assistant Internship (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
meetning new pep. assisting them and satisfying them., sum were cranky and others were just the sweetest u had to learn to not let them bother you and that there always right.
Enjoyable working with multiple Doctors and Hygenist.
Lead Assistant/Patient Service Representative (Former Employee), Ithaca and Big Flats, NYFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: got lots of overtime to earn a little extra each paycheck.
Enjoyed working with a range of people. Worked with the oral surgeon and experienced a great learning experience. Learned proper hygiene when it comes to your mouth. Had great benefits including dental, vision and health.
Stressful, unpaid, lied to
Patient Services Rep (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: hour lunch
Cons: no breaks, can't leave your desk
I was the PSR for Aspen for a year and a half. I was promised promotions twice which were never given to me. I was promised help as I was in a busy office and that was never given to me. I was overworked and under paid. I was denied a raise twice but was forced to train people who were hired in at more than me. Worst place I've ever worked in my life. – more... I was constantly stressed out and I even lost my relationship because of the stress this place put on me! They are all out for money and do not care about good patient care. It's all about selling! I witnessed so many unethical practices! – less
a typical day at work
Office Manager (Current Employee), texasFebruary 7, 2014
busy from the moment you walk thru the day. I have learned dental terminology and procedures. Insurance benefits
Great place to start and gain experince
Dental assistant (Current Employee), Dedham, MAFebruary 2, 2014
aspen dental is a great place to start after leaving school, you learn about all the exciting things in the dental world
Too focus on sales instead of patients
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MIJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: ok pay
Cons: sales focused
Aspen has lost focus of the patients, they are more focused on bottom line profit.
A Management position at Aspen Dental definitely keeps you on your toes.
Office Manager (Float) (Former Employee), New Hartford, NYJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: great staff to work with, you and your family get a special reduced price dental plan through any aspen dental location.
Cons: must excell at multi-tasking on a daily basis, one must able to handle and manage any type of customer service issue.
Aspen Dental is very concerned about customer appreciation ratings so excellent customer service is vital.
Great
Dental Assistant Extern (Former Employee), Medford, MAJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: great expereince
Cons: no ft job offers
Great patients who were willing to allow me to work on them with the assistance of experience Dental Assistant.
productive fun work environment
Dental Assistant (Current Employee), Monroeville, PAJanuary 14, 2014
We had one dentist three assistants with three columns Production , New patients and Overflow. We were pretty much busy everyday and each assistant traded off on what column they were going to do. My co workers were amazing people to work with. The hardest part of the job were the patients being 30 minutes late and not getting told about it. The most – more... enjoyable part of the job was being able to put a smike on the patients face. – less
HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK!!!!
PSR (Former Employee), Lake Wales, FLJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: nothing!!!!
Cons: everything!!!!!
I am a PSR with this company and hope to save someone's life with this review. I will soon be an ex-employee as I gave my two weeks notice. They are the WORST company I have ever worked for! PLEASE do your homework before working for this company. I have learned a lot but praised for nothing only criticized and belittled. Our direct office manager has – more... his hands tied by corporate. Our regional manager is the rudest person I have ever met and cares NOTHING for the employees. My co-workers are amazing and the Doctor in our office is amazing. I have seen so much abuse in this company starting with the employees and ending with the patients. The hardest part of the job was coming to work everyday and giving them my all! The most enjoyable part of the job was my drive home! PLEASE RUN FROM THIS COMPANY! – less
Extra patients when the oral surgeon is there
Patient Service Rep (Former Employee), Plattsburgh, NYJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: limited duties
Cons: not being able to leave my desk unless necessary
My day would start with our morning huddle to help address any concerns and also give our team as much information as possible about our day. I would answer phones, make patient charts, file/pull charts. Collect payments, schedule appointments. My main job was to stay at the front desk, which was very hard to do at times. My day would be made by seeing – more... a child walking out with a smile rather crying – less
A small team at our own little clinic
Dental Assistant (Current Employee), Waukesha, WIJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: discount on dental treatment. free whitening
Cons: sad patients
A typical day at work is opening and getting setup for patients appointments. Usually I'll always begin with a new patient Take x-rays. Ask questions, and do exams. If patients cancel. I always try to keep busy because I've learned the more you keep busy the day goes by quickly. My co-workers are always there if i need help w/ a patient. For example – more... if I need to seat another patient if im running behind, then the hygienist will take care of the patient i was taking care of before so that the patient doesn't feel neglected. The hardest part of the job is dissatisfied patients. For example if a patient isnt happy w/ his/ her new dentures that were just made and they have to be remade it is hard to prove to the patient at that moment that we will get it right the next time. The most enjoyable part is when the patient's are satisfied with the service they have recieved and they cant wait to make their next appointment. – less
Worst company I have EVER worked for!
Scheduling Center Representative (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYDecember 18, 2013
Pros: none!
Cons: everything!!!
I worked for Management team for just under 4 months. I cried myself to sleep and on my way to work for the last 3 months.

When I interviewed for the position they asked if I was ok with overtime, and okay with Saturdays. I said yes. Once I started the position they gave me my schedule and I worked Monday-Thursday + Saturday. Oh, we also had mandatory – more... overtime every Monday and Tuesday with no excuses. If your shift starts at 8:30 or later we had to come in an hour early, if it started earlier than 8:30 you needed to stay an hour late. The way that it was described to us during interview (which I have spoken to other employees who feel they were lead to believe the same thing) was that the overtime would be occasional and would be on Saturdays.

I could not work Saturdays for personal reasons and put in a change of shift from Saturday to a Monday-Friday shift instead the second I got my schedule. Everybody who put in their change after me got theirs accepted while I sat there waiting for it to be changed which never happened (I emailed weekly and they said they're working on it. So why then were people who put in requests after me getting theirs changed?)

We are expected to take 10 calls per hour, have a 98% call quality, and a conversion rate of 50% or higher.

While in training they gave "helpful scripting" that we could use to help during calls, but were told to be natural and make it your own. We did. However, we got points deducted if we did not follow their script..which means we didn't get bonuses because we didn't use their words. If we didn't say "thank you" after you have said "please" you get 5-10 points marked off which brings your quality from a 100% to a 90-95% right there which automatically means you do not get bonus. So that was another way they kept us from getting our bonuses. Telling us one thing then another.

They also told us that we should only be using the rest room on our given 10 minute breaks or lunch, because they needed us on the phones. They sent around so many emails regarding it in the past month I was there. If I have to use the bathroom, I'm going to go use the bathroom.

Now I know why they ALWAYS have a training class of 10+ people in there every 2 weeks because everybody is always quitting because of the way they treat us.

The "leads" don't do anything for the representatives. You call them for advice or a force and they say next available without you even finishing your sentence, that's rude im sorry.

The offices (half of them) were rude. The way the answer the phones is ridiculous. I would never as a patient go to a place that answered phones with attitude and rudeness in their voice.

Florida was always the busiest offices. Sometimes booked out 6-8 months especially for the children's schedules. If we offered it and they said no we were told we NEED to say "I AM going to hold that for you, if you need to cancel call back' if we didn't say that or if we said "would you like me to tentatively hold that for you" then we got in trouble.

They always say the patient comes first we treat out patients like our mothers. That is bull. The first appointment is only ever Exam, X rays, and consultation. If you are in pain..OH WELL! they will NOT treat you. They ALWAYS schedule appointments and cleanings as a follow up. That's right, you cant even get a cleaning your first visit. Im sorry but Im not making 2 trips to the dentist both for preventative care.

We were pressured into practically making patients come in to the appointment. They false advertise saying they accept any insurance however they do not! They accept insurance paid through an employer or paid out of pocket. If you have state or federally funded insurances such as Medicaid or medicare you cannot use it and will be forced to pay out of pocket. I got so many calls of Medicare/Medicaid patients who said they couldn't afford the treatment so it wasn't worth coming in that they needed to find someone who took their insurance..I agree because I am in their position and I would never go somewhere who didn't take my insurance. The management team always said "medicare patients are some of the richest folk so don't let them fool you..they have money so make sure they make that appointment". Why would somebody want to pay out of pocket and finance for 20+% interest rates?!

The management company does not care about the patient...they care about the numbers...QUANTITY over QUALITY! they do not care if they are getting the treatment they need, they only care that they just got another patient and now they get their money.

I suggest NOBODY ever take a job from these people. They overwork you and do not appreciate your work and tell you that you cannot do something even human nature like going to the bathroom!!! Worst place ever!!!!!! – less
Not a very good place to work, high turnover rate.
Insurance Carrier Specialist (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYDecember 17, 2013
Cons: short breakes, high turnover rate
Not a very good place to work. Minimum opportunity for advancement and not very flexible with scheduling.
Many great people to work for and with
Dental Lab Technician (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 27, 2013
Pros: many locations across the country
Cons: corporate environment is a work in progress
Average dental office with denture lab in house.
Learned how to improve time management at work and multi-tasking.
Enjoyed having direct interaction with Doctor and seeing impact of my work on patients lives.
Uncaring management...care for bonuses more than patients
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee), IndianaNovember 27, 2013
Pros: bonuses are awesome if you don't care about putting patients in debt
Cons: late hours and weekends, can't deliver quality care, quantity over quality
This company is perfect for someone who is willing to put patient care aside and strictly focus on production metrics. The bulk of the management team are people that have no dental experience. They have been hired out of the retail world and are more focused on dollars than on people. You are worked like a machine and see so many patients in one day – more... that it makes it nearly impossible to not cut corners, which results in mediocre patient care. – less
Office manager
Office Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, TNNovember 25, 2013
Pros: patients, employees
Cons: management, pay, and job security
The company on the outside seems great they sell you on the idea of patients come first. But once you get started you see the truth is that they don't care for the patients or their employees. They rush their clinical staff through each patient to squeeze that extra person in to make more money. As an office manager they want you to do the jobs of multiple – more... people without the pay you deserve. The best part are the patients that you get to give good service to. The worst part is the upper management they do not give you the tools you need to be successful but drive you to rush through patients and push employees to go faster to do this and your not able to deliver that service you promised the patient when you took their money up front so they don't back out of the lone treatment plan you are forced to give. – less
Think Twice
Sales/Operations Manager (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WINovember 22, 2013
Pros: enjoyment from helping the patients
Cons: upper management constant turnover and job security
My team at the office level was wonderful to work with. Always striving to do their best in their position and meet monthly office quota. I enjoyed seeing new patients and helping them bring their smile back. I just wished Aspen wanted the same. When I was hired, I had read the reviews and placed much thought into working for them. Much to my dismay – more... they were correct. They have a high turnover rate because either they do not treat employees with respect or they bully you into leaving your position. PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE WORKING FOR THEM. It does not matter if you put in 60 hours a week and do everything you can to make their monthly quota they still will not be satisfied. Yes, indeed the company has lost sight of the patients best interest. They very rarely thank you even when you receive awards for a job well done.
Out of a large class of managers that started with me, only a small handful of them are left. Just short of two years, I was let go because they said "I was not a good fit" after receiving their highest bonus level for the month and the fact that my office had the best % of increase in sales in the state. It does not matter to them. If they don't like you and age is a factor, they will find a way to let you go. – less
Daily duties
Lead Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Biddeford to bangorNovember 11, 2013
Pros: self starter
Cons: no lunches
• Assist surgeon during a variety of surgical procedures. (Sterile and non-Sterile)
• Setup and breakdown operatory pre and post surgery.
• Receiving patient from waiting room, reviewing medical history and taking baseline vitals.
• Providing patient with post-op instructions and calling in prescriptions.
• Patient assessment during conscious sedation.
 – more... Knowledge of codes and specifications for surgical procedures.
• Manage infection control - prepare and sterilize instruments and equipment.
• Travel to 8 locations in the State of Maine spanning from Biddeford to Bangor to perform surgery. Responsible for transporting all surgical equipment, to and from each location.
• Inventory control: receiving and packing all supplies required for surgery.
• Correspondence with primary health care providers for medical clearance. – less