Aspen Dental

Aspen Dental Employer Reviews

productive fun work environment
Dental Assistant (Current Employee), Monroeville, PAJanuary 14, 2014
We had one dentist three assistants with three columns Production , New patients and Overflow. We were pretty much busy everyday and each assistant traded off on what column they were going to do. My co workers were amazing people to work with. The hardest part of the job were the patients being 30 minutes late and not getting told about it. The most – more... enjoyable part of the job was being able to put a smike on the patients face. – less
HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK!!!!
PSR (Former Employee), Lake Wales, FLJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: nothing!!!!
Cons: everything!!!!!
I am a PSR with this company and hope to save someone's life with this review. I will soon be an ex-employee as I gave my two weeks notice. They are the WORST company I have ever worked for! PLEASE do your homework before working for this company. I have learned a lot but praised for nothing only criticized and belittled. Our direct office manager has – more... his hands tied by corporate. Our regional manager is the rudest person I have ever met and cares NOTHING for the employees. My co-workers are amazing and the Doctor in our office is amazing. I have seen so much abuse in this company starting with the employees and ending with the patients. The hardest part of the job was coming to work everyday and giving them my all! The most enjoyable part of the job was my drive home! PLEASE RUN FROM THIS COMPANY! – less
Extra patients when the oral surgeon is there
Patient Service Rep (Former Employee), Plattsburgh, NYJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: limited duties
Cons: not being able to leave my desk unless necessary
My day would start with our morning huddle to help address any concerns and also give our team as much information as possible about our day. I would answer phones, make patient charts, file/pull charts. Collect payments, schedule appointments. My main job was to stay at the front desk, which was very hard to do at times. My day would be made by seeing – more... a child walking out with a smile rather crying – less
A small team at our own little clinic
Dental Assistant (Current Employee), Waukesha, WIJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: discount on dental treatment. free whitening
Cons: sad patients
A typical day at work is opening and getting setup for patients appointments. Usually I'll always begin with a new patient Take x-rays. Ask questions, and do exams. If patients cancel. I always try to keep busy because I've learned the more you keep busy the day goes by quickly. My co-workers are always there if i need help w/ a patient. For example – more... if I need to seat another patient if im running behind, then the hygienist will take care of the patient i was taking care of before so that the patient doesn't feel neglected. The hardest part of the job is dissatisfied patients. For example if a patient isnt happy w/ his/ her new dentures that were just made and they have to be remade it is hard to prove to the patient at that moment that we will get it right the next time. The most enjoyable part is when the patient's are satisfied with the service they have recieved and they cant wait to make their next appointment. – less
Worst company I have EVER worked for!
Scheduling Center Representative (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYDecember 18, 2013
Pros: none!
Cons: everything!!!
I worked for Management team for just under 4 months. I cried myself to sleep and on my way to work for the last 3 months.

When I interviewed for the position they asked if I was ok with overtime, and okay with Saturdays. I said yes. Once I started the position they gave me my schedule and I worked Monday-Thursday + Saturday. Oh, we also had mandatory – more... overtime every Monday and Tuesday with no excuses. If your shift starts at 8:30 or later we had to come in an hour early, if it started earlier than 8:30 you needed to stay an hour late. The way that it was described to us during interview (which I have spoken to other employees who feel they were lead to believe the same thing) was that the overtime would be occasional and would be on Saturdays.

I could not work Saturdays for personal reasons and put in a change of shift from Saturday to a Monday-Friday shift instead the second I got my schedule. Everybody who put in their change after me got theirs accepted while I sat there waiting for it to be changed which never happened (I emailed weekly and they said they're working on it. So why then were people who put in requests after me getting theirs changed?)

We are expected to take 10 calls per hour, have a 98% call quality, and a conversion rate of 50% or higher.

While in training they gave "helpful scripting" that we could use to help during calls, but were told to be natural and make it your own. We did. However, we got points deducted if we did not follow their script..which means we didn't get bonuses because we didn't use their words. If we didn't say "thank you" after you have said "please" you get 5-10 points marked off which brings your quality from a 100% to a 90-95% right there which automatically means you do not get bonus. So that was another way they kept us from getting our bonuses. Telling us one thing then another.

They also told us that we should only be using the rest room on our given 10 minute breaks or lunch, because they needed us on the phones. They sent around so many emails regarding it in the past month I was there. If I have to use the bathroom, I'm going to go use the bathroom.

Now I know why they ALWAYS have a training class of 10+ people in there every 2 weeks because everybody is always quitting because of the way they treat us.

The "leads" don't do anything for the representatives. You call them for advice or a force and they say next available without you even finishing your sentence, that's rude im sorry.

The offices (half of them) were rude. The way the answer the phones is ridiculous. I would never as a patient go to a place that answered phones with attitude and rudeness in their voice.

Florida was always the busiest offices. Sometimes booked out 6-8 months especially for the children's schedules. If we offered it and they said no we were told we NEED to say "I AM going to hold that for you, if you need to cancel call back' if we didn't say that or if we said "would you like me to tentatively hold that for you" then we got in trouble.

They always say the patient comes first we treat out patients like our mothers. That is bull. The first appointment is only ever Exam, X rays, and consultation. If you are in pain..OH WELL! they will NOT treat you. They ALWAYS schedule appointments and cleanings as a follow up. That's right, you cant even get a cleaning your first visit. Im sorry but Im not making 2 trips to the dentist both for preventative care.

We were pressured into practically making patients come in to the appointment. They false advertise saying they accept any insurance however they do not! They accept insurance paid through an employer or paid out of pocket. If you have state or federally funded insurances such as Medicaid or medicare you cannot use it and will be forced to pay out of pocket. I got so many calls of Medicare/Medicaid patients who said they couldn't afford the treatment so it wasn't worth coming in that they needed to find someone who took their insurance..I agree because I am in their position and I would never go somewhere who didn't take my insurance. The management team always said "medicare patients are some of the richest folk so don't let them fool you..they have money so make sure they make that appointment". Why would somebody want to pay out of pocket and finance for 20+% interest rates?!

The management company does not care about the patient...they care about the numbers...QUANTITY over QUALITY! they do not care if they are getting the treatment they need, they only care that they just got another patient and now they get their money.

I suggest NOBODY ever take a job from these people. They overwork you and do not appreciate your work and tell you that you cannot do something even human nature like going to the bathroom!!! Worst place ever!!!!!! – less
Not a very good place to work, high turnover rate.
Insurance Carrier Specialist (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYDecember 17, 2013
Cons: short breakes, high turnover rate
Not a very good place to work. Minimum opportunity for advancement and not very flexible with scheduling.
Many great people to work for and with
Dental Lab Technician (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 27, 2013
Pros: many locations across the country
Cons: corporate environment is a work in progress
Average dental office with denture lab in house.
Learned how to improve time management at work and multi-tasking.
Enjoyed having direct interaction with Doctor and seeing impact of my work on patients lives.
Uncaring management...care for bonuses more than patients
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee), IndianaNovember 27, 2013
Pros: bonuses are awesome if you don't care about putting patients in debt
Cons: late hours and weekends, can't deliver quality care, quantity over quality
This company is perfect for someone who is willing to put patient care aside and strictly focus on production metrics. The bulk of the management team are people that have no dental experience. They have been hired out of the retail world and are more focused on dollars than on people. You are worked like a machine and see so many patients in one day – more... that it makes it nearly impossible to not cut corners, which results in mediocre patient care. – less
Office manager
Office Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, TNNovember 25, 2013
Pros: patients, employees
Cons: management, pay, and job security
The company on the outside seems great they sell you on the idea of patients come first. But once you get started you see the truth is that they don't care for the patients or their employees. They rush their clinical staff through each patient to squeeze that extra person in to make more money. As an office manager they want you to do the jobs of multiple – more... people without the pay you deserve. The best part are the patients that you get to give good service to. The worst part is the upper management they do not give you the tools you need to be successful but drive you to rush through patients and push employees to go faster to do this and your not able to deliver that service you promised the patient when you took their money up front so they don't back out of the lone treatment plan you are forced to give. – less
Think Twice
Sales/Operations Manager (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WINovember 22, 2013
Pros: enjoyment from helping the patients
Cons: upper management constant turnover and job security
My team at the office level was wonderful to work with. Always striving to do their best in their position and meet monthly office quota. I enjoyed seeing new patients and helping them bring their smile back. I just wished Aspen wanted the same. When I was hired, I had read the reviews and placed much thought into working for them. Much to my dismay – more... they were correct. They have a high turnover rate because either they do not treat employees with respect or they bully you into leaving your position. PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE WORKING FOR THEM. It does not matter if you put in 60 hours a week and do everything you can to make their monthly quota they still will not be satisfied. Yes, indeed the company has lost sight of the patients best interest. They very rarely thank you even when you receive awards for a job well done.
Out of a large class of managers that started with me, only a small handful of them are left. Just short of two years, I was let go because they said "I was not a good fit" after receiving their highest bonus level for the month and the fact that my office had the best % of increase in sales in the state. It does not matter to them. If they don't like you and age is a factor, they will find a way to let you go. – less
Daily duties
Lead Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Biddeford to bangorNovember 11, 2013
Pros: self starter
Cons: no lunches
• Assist surgeon during a variety of surgical procedures. (Sterile and non-Sterile)
• Setup and breakdown operatory pre and post surgery.
• Receiving patient from waiting room, reviewing medical history and taking baseline vitals.
• Providing patient with post-op instructions and calling in prescriptions.
• Patient assessment during conscious sedation.
 – more... Knowledge of codes and specifications for surgical procedures.
• Manage infection control - prepare and sterilize instruments and equipment.
• Travel to 8 locations in the State of Maine spanning from Biddeford to Bangor to perform surgery. Responsible for transporting all surgical equipment, to and from each location.
• Inventory control: receiving and packing all supplies required for surgery.
• Correspondence with primary health care providers for medical clearance. – less
The people were like family
Customer Service Representative/LIST (full-time) (Former Employee), East Syracuse, NYOctober 28, 2013
although not secure job stability, very hard to move up the ladder, one of the best positions I have ever had, the hours were great, and I learned a great deal.
I was a extern student for a month and loved it.
Dental Assistant/Externship (Current Employee), Lebanon, TNOctober 25, 2013
Pros: help others
Cons: when someone could not be helped
A typical day at Aspen Dental was taking xrays, 4 handed chairside assisting, charting, impressions, composites,temporary crowns,and root canals. we also done extractions, surgeries, and dentures daily. It was very fast environment. The worst part is when someone didn't have insurance and couldn't get there teeth fixed. The best part was when you gave – more... someone dentures and they where so happy they cried cause they could smile again. The co-works were great to work with and helped me learn so much. – less
Difficult to work with mgmt. Other employees are great however
Dental office receptionist/PSR (Current Employee), Champaign, ILOctober 11, 2013
See above. Must be a hard worker and strong person to work there.
RDH
Registered Dental Hygienist (Current Employee), PAOctober 9, 2013
I make an hourly wage, and there's a possibility of a bonus based on production.
Horrible place to work
Dental Assistant/ Lead Assistant (Former Employee), Glendale, AZOctober 3, 2013
Pros: my co-workers=team work
Cons: management
Run don't walk. Management is Horrible!! They want fed back about the office. Which they get offended and take it out on you from your fed back. No respect at all for all Employees. Doctors are so expendable and to many hopeless promises. Regional managers could careless about back staff more about pushing things thru and less about patient care.
all business
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee), Sandusky, OHOctober 1, 2013
patients first, doctors work hard, co workers nice, great benefits
very chaiotic and poorly managed
office manager trainee (Former Employee), south portland, maineSeptember 29, 2013
Pros: the pay
Cons: no breaks, just a lunch, too many chiefs not enough indians
Poorly ran office, probably the most unorganized company I have worked for. Regional managers are out of touch with the personnel at locations, they come to visit and stay in the office with closed doors most of the day and never really have that human touch to get to know everyone, or at least say hello....they want to run it like a retail company – more... but the customer service level isn't there. The office manager is always behind a desk and never floats to check on patients or her own team. The dental assistants are out of control and think that it reads their name on the sign instead of aspen dental. Never witnessed anything like it before. When I started , a doctor that works for them said they hire and fire people like crazy... or people quit before the training is finished. That's a huge red flag!
The only positive is the pay, which isn't too bad. Benefits are ok if your management. – less
Liked the job, not the company.
Practice Sales and Operations Manager (Former Employee), WisconsinSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: office teams, continuously learning
Cons: upper management is out of touch
I worked with a wonderful office team. There is not much bad to say about things at the office level. I also learned something new everyday- this is what I liked most about the position.

The cons start with management outside of the office setting. They are often out of touch, and just place holders between the offices and the practice support center. – more... There is not any original thought that comes from these people, they just regurgitate what they are hearing in Syracuse. They "Help get the patients the care they need" which is code for- take any money they have, and of there is no money, take them through financing with an interest rate of 27%. This company has lost sight of actually helping patients and it's employees, it is all about the bottom line, taking patients money, and helping the organization line it's pockets. If you are looking for an employer that values you, please look elsewhere. There is never a "nice job" or " thank you" it was always "what more can you give us". There is very little work/life balance. I did get fired after considerable time with Aspen, and when I walked out that door, I never felt so much relief in my life! Please take this job with eyes wide open. – less
Dental Assistance are top-notch, nice facility and equipment
Dental Hygienist (Current Employee), Defiance, OHSeptember 20, 2013
Pros: working with the assistance, having equipment that is up to date and being able to provide the patients with options
Cons: hectic schedule sometimes which makes you cut your time short with patients so it appears rude to me, management in the region not being consistent with the information they give to staff, the hours and pay are not guaranteed
Very busy schedule but I have learned some more advanced techniques for example: providing bleaching in office and at home, Vizilite cancer screening procedure. The assistants are wonderful and work to help each other. The hardest part of the schedule is being taken from a prophy procedure with a patient to do periodontal screening on a new patient – more... the dentist may be seeing initially. I have not worked with Aspen very long due to a recent surgery so I am still learning about the company. – less