Aspire Public Schools

Aspire Public Schools Employer Reviews

Eclectic School
Campus Supervisor (Former Employee), East Palo Alto, CAAugust 19, 2014
Lots of intelligent and fun children and co-workers working hard to ensure a bright future for the children in the community.
Great organization to work for
Long Term Substitute Teacher, Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 4, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, good pay
Cons: only available in select cities
I love working for Aspire Public Schools. The teachers, administrators, and corporate office people of Aspire have been very helpful to me.
Good paying job, but very stressing
ASP Educator (Former Employee), LOS ANGELES, CAOctober 1, 2013
Pros: good salary
Cons: negative working environment
I like the paying but I hated the atitude of some co-coworkers.
Typical Day
Help Desk Intern (Former Employee), Bay AreaAugust 14, 2013
Pros: freedom to excel in on your own.
A typical day @ work would consist of me answering inquiries in regards to pc related problems. My management team was very helpful and supportive. I enjoyed my co-workers because we had a bunch in common.There really wasn't a difficult part of the job, for I enjoyed every aspect of it.
Very difficult school culture
Art Teacher (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJuly 2, 2013
Working as a full time teacher at a brand new school in East Oakland was a very challenging, yet fulfilling experience. I wrote and taught my own curriculum every week that were aligned to the California state visual art standards. I invested much of my own money into art supplies that students needed for lessons. I connected with students and parents – more... and learned a lot about management. – less
Don't Work for Their IT Department!
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee), Oakland, CAMay 21, 2013
Pros: getting perked from the non-it department if you are lucky.
Cons: horrific it management, no breaks, tedious work, no advancement, outdated infrastructure, high drama, no morale, no inter-departmental perks or social events.
The management in their IT Department is horrific and lacking and you will be pushed to meet deadlines on tasks that are near impossible time-scale wise, monotonous, and tedious. Any task that you fail to perform successfully can be used against you in a negative manner by the management and the senior members of the team. Therefore, you will have to – more... constantly pull miracles with this department or else you will be immediately seen as a complete failure (which can lead you in a position to "force resign"). As a result, the management is very deceitful and conniving, so just execute your tasks perfectly and don't question them. Furthermore, don't even bother contributing in the team meetings any new ideas or better ways to execute future road map plans as they will just be ignored despite being 1000x better plans than what the management has in mind. Overall the management doesn't treat you well, gives you near-impossible tasks, ignorant of better and innovating ideas and can deceit you into a position of being "leaving the organization" if you fail or go against their uncertain roadmap.

Morale in this department is low and no one in the seniority half of the team is willing to work happily with the newer and lower-ranked staff. Therefore, you are going to be often alone and working by yourself to solve issues that are often thrown from the uppers as tasks that are overwhelming, difficult and high risk of failure.

As you can tell by now that the department is very bias with favorites. The seniority staff is really chosen to be the select few that the management likes and the newer staff or lower-ranked staff are the people the management doesn't have an interest for and they are there to take the grunt of negativity the department generates and are very disposable. Most likely an IT position posted on this site are for the latter and like the management, the seniority staff takes all the easy and fluff tasks the IT department needs to complete and throws all the crucial, tedious and difficult tasks downward.

The infrastructure of this department is outdated, ridiculous and old. You will be using a ticketing system from a well-known company but it is custom-designed and sadly, the custom-design makes it one of the most annoying systems in the world. Furthermore, phone support is non-existent as only one person has to provide the phone support for like over ten-thousand end-users and even then, you (the new guy) will probably have to provide most of your work day alone to be on the phone (even though doing other time-consuming tasks), so get ready to multitask and be ready to shoulder-hold a handset while working most of the day.

The servers that run in this organization are mostly old and breaks down a lot and so does the network. You will get LOTS of annoyed end-users that will complain about not working printers and internet and that is due to a poorly-implemented Windows Server environment. Sure they have been upgrading to newer servers slowly shortly before I left, but the infrastructure overall is still one of the worst I have ever seen. The management will say that it is due to low funding, but I can assure you that isn't the true reason. Most of the end-user computers are also outdated (a lot from the early 2000's) so get ready to spend hours fixing common stuff on computers that should be laid to rest by now (again it is due to "low-funding").

The department is not well-received by many teachers and staff so do expect a lot of not courteous, tech illiterate and rude end-users. You will often face backlash from such said staff, as any polite ways you will try to resolve their issues will be seen by them as an insult to them (you will be profusely apologizing 95% of the time as it is your fault their problems happened, despite being something like user error or failing old equipment). Again, this is due to the notorious history of the department and the management that runs it and the drama that occurred in between.

There has been quite a few of people who "left the organization" and not many that has been filling the slots in the department. For a better note, for the few that has been filling the slots, some have left after a couple of months. Therefore let this be a warning to anyone that is applying to the IT Department of this organization. I would simply ignore the effort to apply here as the rewards are not even worth the time (until the department gets completely revamped by a new set of management).

Otherwise, if you are applying as a teacher or a position in the organization's other departments, then I will say go for it as most of the non-IT department folks are really nice, caring and dedicated (and they do a lot of social events during work, something you will NOT see in the IT department). So definitely apply if you are not IT. However, if you are IT, just simply walk away from applying. It is NOT worth it. – less
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), East Palo Alto, CAMarch 6, 2013
Feels like home, teachers are very helpful ad available anytime for thier students.
Great charter school
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee), Huntington Park, CAOctober 10, 2012
Great charter school organization that prepares students for college.
productive and fun work place
Campus Supervisior (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 3, 2012
Fun work place
Get along well with employees
Its 3 schools on one campus