Aspire Public Schools Employee Reviews

Stressful work environment
Special Projects Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 22, 2017
Highpaced, horrible work life balance. Workplace culture is undefined. Managers can be cut throat but will call it feedback. Opportunities for growth are limited.
A collective of great minds.
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 13, 2017

What I learned:
Coaching techniques
Adult Learning Theory

Management:
Very collaborative, while still pushing me to be better at whatever I have identifies as my areas of weakness.

Work place culture:
Intense environment, unrealistic work load

Hardest part about my job:
Work load is unrealistic.
The most enjoyable part:
Working with great minds.
Pros
training, support, professional development
Cons
work load and stress
Great work environment
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 11, 2017
I worked at Monarch elementary in Oakland and all the staff was amazing.

The principal made sure all the staff was well taken care of. She emphasized personal health and wellness so that the staff could work like a well oiled machine.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
N/a
Good CMO Organization
Senior Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 11, 2017
Aspire Public Schools is a good charter management organization and has done a great deed for the educational services they provide to the students and communities they serve throughout California and in Memphis, TN.
School Atmosphere could be better/supportive
School Community Development Liaison (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 20, 2017
I believe that the school has a great academic program, but the school needs to truly be revamped with order, structure, culture and the upper management must learn to support their staff. The school has a very high turn over rate based on behavior, again I firmly believe that this school has one of the best educational programs the school just needs to be revamped.The worst part is dealing with disrespectful children that the higher managemwnt team does not hold them (children & parents) accountable. The best part is that I was able to reach a lot of children and so much positivity came out of it.
Pros
High Pay Rates, Insurance Benefits fully covered on the company
Great Place to Gain Experience
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 30, 2017
Great place to gain work experience. Since it is a charter there is no job security. Pays better then other charters. I carried multiple positions and was compensated but then position was cut due to budget cuts. Admin and faculty are great, but student management could have some improvements.
Pros
better pay, flexible, benefits
Cons
Minimal training
Good environment.
Director (Current Employee) –  Huntington Park, CAMay 15, 2017
Working with kids and amazing staff is great. The day goes by fast and you are always productive. Everyone is helpful and gets along with everyone else.
Great Academic Program
ASP Educator (Former Employee) –  Empire, CAMay 13, 2017
Aspire Schools go above and beyond to provide a great education to their students. I worked in the after school program at Vanguard College Prep Academy.
Aspire offers a great benefits and compensation package that is much better than the local school district. Workplace culture is also positive.
Ed Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2017
Working for Aspire this past school year has been the best teaching experience of my career by far. It is clear that leadership at the national, regional and school levels have made workplace culture a priority. Expecations are high, but they are accompanied by a system of positive support that comes across as very authentic. There are no "gotchas". These people want everyone to be successful, and they are willing to put in the work from the top down. You welcome guests in your class here, because you don't worry about them looking for something wrong. You feel like they are there to help you, for real.

Beyond that the pay is competitive to, if not better than local school districts. Insurance premiums are far better. I pay only $70 per pay period for a family of 5 in medical insurance.

Needless to say, I plan on being here for a while!
Pros
Worklife Balance, Resources that make teaching so much easier, Benefits, Compensation
Cons
The work day is longer, 7:30-4:00 at my school. Mandatory Saturday School 1-2 times a semester.
Aspire school have high standards
Campus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 23, 2017
Aspire public schools mission, vision, value statement, and standards are for its students to fully succeed in their environment along with the teaching skills they provide.
Pros
Academically successful
Cons
No health insurance
Overall View
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  MemMarch 16, 2017
Great place to work. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Management is there to listen and take feedback. Everyone is working together efficiently as a team. Great Compensation package.
Pros
Open door policy
Dedicated Staff, Unsustainable Work Hours
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 12, 2017
I love my colleagues and the students, but the we are all stretched very thin and exhausted all of the time. I think there are so many wonderful things about Aspire, but I wonder if there are more sustainable ways to be an educator.
Pros
Great staff
It's work but, it's at will employment.
Staff (Former Employee) –  Huntington Park, CAFebruary 10, 2017
Every year employees must worry if work will be available for them for the upcoming school year. Applicants be aware, if administrators don't like you they tend to build bogus devious cases against you to drive you out of employment. District has grown which has caused it to loose what it stands for as far as employee support. Things are always changing. Administrators in certain Huntington Park locations are not qualified for such leadership roles, setting the school culture to very uncomfortable and unprofessional. However, students and families do seem happy with education.
Pros
Gives you experience and pays.
Cons
At will employment, not fully screened qualified administartors
Staff was not supportive
Subsitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 31, 2016
The staff were not supportive of teachers. The kids were able to manipulate teachers and basically run the classrooms. Most teachers were from other parts of the US and had low expectations and standards for the kids. Overall there were only a few teachers patient enough to make kids step up to maintain high academic levels otherwise they were fine with passing kids on to the next grade without having minimum requirements to succeed.
I smell fraud
Teacher (Former Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAOctober 20, 2016
Grading is tilted in students favor in order to push them through the program. You notice how they say 100% of their students get accepted, but just how many actually go to college, or even finish college. I wish I could be positive, but it is a sham. Not all of the children have bad attitudes, but there are quite a few that do, and they get away with murder. There is a lack of communication between parents, teacher and administration to have any real structure or discipline. This school, in my opinion, gives students a false sense of accomplishment and polishes their self-entitled behavior to exceed the likes of Donald, and I don't mean the duck. As far as workload and teacher support, one is overloaded and the other is overbearing with a touch of psychosis. The pay is good, but not for what you'll be thrown into.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bad Management
Aspire is a great place for staff, families and our scholars.
Expanded Learning Director (Former Employee) –  SacramentoSeptember 26, 2016
Aspire has brought growth in personal and professional matters. Allowing staff to grow with their scholars in a more in depth connection allowing students, families, to build trust in the community of staff, educators and administrators.
good
Instructional assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntington Park, CAAugust 8, 2016
Good place to work if you're not going to college. other than that great job place for practice. I don't know what else to say.
Great place to work at to gain trainee hours as a grad student.
Marriage and Family Therapist Trainee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 19, 2016
At my site, I learned how to implement school policy and State/Federal clinical laws to ensure I provided my clients with the best possible mental service possible.
Pros
Able to utilize both school counseling and clinical skills to create treatment plans for clients.
Cons
Not enough family systems focus from headquarters
Great schools to work at
Guest Teacher and HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 13, 2016
Aspire works closely with parents, staff and students to ensure their schools are some of the best in the area. They offer services that fit the needs of students and have a close family like culture for staff who work at their schools.
College For Certain
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 2, 2016
Aspire is equipping and preparing scholars for college. The environment is very high paced, happy, and business oriented.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
lots of walking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aspire Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.