Aspirus Wausau Hospital Employee Reviews

Very bottom line $$$ oriented, cares little about employees
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 19, 2015
Used to be a great place to work. Previously was employee oriented. Now it is all about $$$. Management does not care about employee morale, just culture, or being a workplace that prides itself on having a culture of safety; it is all dollars and profit. Strange for a non-profit facility!
Productive and strong atmosphere
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 14, 2015
Deliver trays to patients, take phone orders, wash dishes, keep work area clean always, cashier, stock food items, work with others at all times, very busy place to be.
Pros
Co workers were very fun to work with for the most part
Cons
management
Great Place to work
Physician Connect Triage Team Lead-RN (Former Employee) –  WausauAugust 4, 2015
Aspirus has a unique and inviting culture for staff across the board. There is a strong emphasis on empowerment and team work. I have witnessed the CEO walking a patient visitor to the correct destination and I have also seen a housekeeper grab a code cart in an emergency. I had worked a couple different hospitals prior to this and none of them compare.

Good benefits, competitive wages, investment in employees for advancement.
co workers
Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  wausau,wiJuly 20, 2015
The people I work with are great as they are friendly and everyone will always be ready to pitch in and help out if you are backed up from vacation for example.....If we have a question we ask and sometimes we all discuss the best result for the answer... we all can work alone but also with others
Pros
job security, allows to make appts when necessary
Cons
would like more holidays
Great Internship
Health Care Business Service Internship (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIJuly 8, 2015
I did an internship here of about two months. They worked well with me to cover most of the degree that I was working towards. Working in several different departments gave me a good look at the hospital and it was a really well run and friendly place.
Pros
Friendly People great instruction.
Cons
It had to end really missed going there.
Productive and everyone is a team player
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wausau WIJune 4, 2015
It is a very fast paced work environment. I have learned so much in the 9 years that I have been there. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't learn something new. The best part about my job is my co-workers and we all work as a team.
Pros
flexible with my schedule
Cons
not enough staffed
I'm rated as very productive by my team leaders
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 26, 2015
We are expected to meet certain goals which I meet and go beyond weekly; on a average day I answer at least twenty phone calls
Not an enviroment I expected
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 14, 2015
Typical day is having to many patients to provide proper care for. The staffing is an issue everyday. Running around like a chicken with no head d/t the lack of staff and the extreme acuity of patients. This is everyday, not just a few times a month.
Management tells you what they know you want to hear.
Co-workers would stab you in the back to save themselves.
Pros
making a differnce in the patients I care for
Cons
No lunch breaks
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 7, 2015
Working at the hospital is very fast paced. Things are always changing. The most enjoyable part of my day was when a patient was ready to be discharged. I enjoy helping people and seeing them get better and be able to go home.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
Long drive
My review of Aspirus
Health Unit Coordinator/CNA (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 31, 2015
Aspirus has good benefits, co-workers and environment. However they need to promote from within more than they do. They provide a great deal of training in house or you may attend school. Aspirus is very supportive of further education.
Pros
good benefits, good employees
Cons
does not promote well from within

Want to know more about Aspirus Wausau Hospital?

Ask a question
Patient oriented
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WINovember 9, 2014
Strong customer service culture
Central Wisconsin trauma center
Excellent physician staff
Magnet Hospital
over promise and under perform
Nutrition Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 25, 2014
I was excited to start working at Aspirus in the food service department, however they promised a lot of things and didn't follow through on any of them. I was told I would be doing a completely different job than I was trained in on, and when asked, they said they would eventually train me in what they hired me as. EXTREMELY understaffed everyday and they change schedules and hours on the drop of a hat without telling you of the changes or asking if the changes are going to work. There are many problems that need to be addressed in the department, and the managers seem oblivious to them, and when you bring up some solutions, they are very condescending and rude. Of the 5 people that were hired at the time of my hire, I am the only one that lasted more than 3 working days, and have been looking for other employment since the first week.
Pros
good retirement plan if you stay there long enough
Healthcare
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 18, 2014
Evaluate, treat, and care for patients with breathing or other cardiopulmonary disorders.
Educate patients and their families about their conditions and teach appropriate disease management techniques.
Work as part of a team of physicians, nurses and other health care professionals to manage patient care.
Actively participate in codes, rapid responses and traumas.
Provide high quality patient care in all areas including intensive care and emergency department.
lots of challenges both adult and peds patient,excellent team work
Registered Nurse staff and CPR/PALS Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WISeptember 10, 2014
typical day of work RN have 4-5 patients and make patient comfortable during bedside report and patient participates in plan of care .RN pass meds,IV and IVPB ,dress wounds if any and educate patient about his /her illness.Excellent team work, among co staff,The hardest part of the day is when RN takes care of adult and peds at the same time,each patient has different needs.
Excellent
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 1, 2014
I feel Wausau hospital is an excellent place to work. I have excellent benefits and opportunities there. I was encouraged to become certified in my specialty and a group of ten of us wrote for the exam together. I work with very caring and knowledgeable nurses.
Wausau Hospital is a Magnet certified.
Great atmosphere and really kind and carring employees
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 8, 2014
I learned a lot and made a lot of new friends. I enjoyed learning about infection control and working with the different coding and illnesses involved with the coding from physicians. It was an exciting atmosphere
Pros
people and patients
Cons
weekend only position
Healthcare
Patient Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WISeptember 18, 2013
no comments. I was very unhappy with how my employment ended
Great Hospital with a Great set of Values
CNA in Med/Surg ICU (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIAugust 5, 2013
One CNA for an Entire ICU. For the most part my RNs were excellent to me, but there were others that couldn't operate without me. The hardest part of my job was knowing more than your average CNA, as I was in Paramedic School at the time. Having a CNA with their ACLS when some of your RNs don't have it, isn't great. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to assist in ICU Procedures, and learn from my Nurses, RTs, and Intensive Doctors. The hardest part of the job was learning time management, and telling my Nurses 'No' when I was assisting other Nurses. The Management watched me like a hawk, and only ever pointed out the negatives in my work. A typical day would be to get in at 7am, and get report from the night aid. Before you even get to do a Par check on supplies, RNs are asking for your help, trying to get their requests in before other RNs because there's only one of you. And if you go to help the RNs before your Par Check, you'll get yelled at for the Supplies not being stocked. Most of the RNs are good about using equipment for boosting and lifting, but some RNs prefer the "old" way of doing things and will have you risking your back doing lifts that are no longer the Gold Standard. The RNs don't understand how hard of a job this is mentally and physically, and often you will run from one room to the next assisting with cares for hours on end. I had a heart of gold before I started this job, and finished having injured my knee and back, and being mad at the RNs that I worked with for using and abusing me to the point that I no longer wanted to be a CNA.
Pros
excellent intensive care providers
Cons
a lot of shifts with no breaks or lunches
Happy patients and laughs
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIJuly 17, 2013
A typical day in the lab was a very busy morning drawing patients, ordering labs and running compliance for Medicare. The hardest part of this was telling patients their insurance did not cover test being ordered or that there were no orders for them and the ordering physician would not be in until after eight am. Through this I learned while in this position to be patient and/or if possible check the patient list the previous day for orders (this could only apply if patient had an appointment).
The most challenging part of the job was the "team work" atmosphere was not always enforced with management. While at busy times co-workers found other things to do than patient care. Frustrating as this situation can be I learned to ask for their help in a more responsive way and try to focus on the patient and his/her care.

Overall this was an enjoyable place to work. Upper management seemed to care about the employees and work with each of us with any questions and/or concerns we had. Schedules were also very flexible for any changes that might occur and the atmosphere itself was full of happy faces and laughs, co-workers and patients.
Pros
flexible working schedule
Cons
no breaks other than lunch
Aspirus is a leading healthcare facility in Central Wisconsin and is always looking to advance care and quality to the populations they serve.
Emergency Room Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WisconsinJuly 3, 2013
The most important lesson learned from my position in the emergency room is the importance of team work. My co workers went above and beyond to help one another accoomplish what was needed. There was no typical day in the emergency room and I learned to triage utilizing the ESI scale to improve quality care to patients.
Pros
my co workers.
Cons
when we did not have enough staff during a shift to provide the best care possible.