Assoc. for the Help of Retarded Children (AHRC)

Assoc. for the Help of Retarded Children (AHRC) United States Employee Reviews

More to the naked eye
L.P.N Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Queens, NYOctober 21, 2014
Pros: dedicated staff, outstanding facitity, wonderful client and compassionate families
Cons: management
Unfortunately this was not a good fit for me I was there for about a year and although the clients was outstanding and easy to work with management wasn't as professional as I have become accustom to.
friendly and helpful enviroment
AHRC homecare (Current Employee), 83 maiden laneOctober 20, 2014
Pros: quiet enviroment
Cons: very little hours
It is nice working to help individuals meet their goals in life it gives them a sense of happiness knowing they can do something on their own which makes me happy as well. a typical day at work would be going in to the individuals home and working on cross word puzzles, math, reading, writing, then activities such as shopping and money management, traveling on their own etc.
Great
Rehab Consular (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 14, 2014
Pros: results
Cons: pay
Good environment to work in. Management is flexible and understanding
DSP (Current Employee), Staten Island,NYOctober 12, 2014
Pros: close to home, benefits
Cons: co workers very lazy
the manager is a crook, & the staff is lazy, but if you go to work & focus on your job you won't have any problems
fun and lovely staff
PERSONAL CARE AIDE (Former Employee), brooklyn nyOctober 6, 2014
Pros: no pron at all
Cons: no cons what so ever
my years at omega were the best they would help me in so much when my mother pass away they would call me all the time just to make shure i was fine .they closed down what a shame
productive and fun
Overnight Awake/ Case Worker (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 6, 2014
Assisted others that were unable to function in society. Played a big brother role in their life.
Challenging and Rewarding
Mentor (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 1, 2014
Each day is different; whether it's helping students with home work, accompanying them to class, or leading excursions through the five boroughs, each day was a slight change of pace from the last. I learned to fulfill different roles and adjust quickly to my surroundings.
I enjoyed working with the disabled community.
Rehabilitation Counselor (RHC) (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 1, 2014
This job really challenged me. I thought I knew it all about children because I have children of my own. well its a whole lot out there i did not know. I learned the most from the children and young adults I cared for, and every time they were one step closer to achieving an independent goal it felt great that i helped then become more independent with would help them in there future.
love helping people that is unable to do for themselves
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 28, 2014
I enjoy my job it has its ups and downs but every individual I care for I treat them as if they were a family member or friend.
fun
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: my clients
Cons: temporary position
I loved to work with people of special needs. It was fun loving very compassionate work. Also very trying at times. But I arose to the challenges with a smile. I loved my supervisors and co workers. The most enjoyable to be able to help someone that can't help themselves. The hardest was saying goodbye.
productive an fun work place but the people that work their is no good
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: helping them achieve their goals and seeing them do it
Cons: dealing with some of the staff that work their
my job is very exciting job especially working with the individuals taking them on outing an just showing them the way of life and i love what i do very much but the co worker that work there can really get you in trouble. the hardest part of my job is changing the diapers. the most enjoyable part of my job is working with my individual because i like what i do.
Productive and educational work environment
Residential Habilitation Counselor (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 7, 2014
A typical day at work involves staff to help individuals work on their goals and develop skills that will allow them to complete simple everyday tasks on their own. I learned that helping individuals can change their lives and lives of their families and others around them. The hardest part of this job is being compatible with the individuals and their families. It can be difficult to get along with individuals and their families. The most enjoyable part of this job is taking different trainings because they are useful and interesting.
Great Program
Program Leader (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 3, 2014
Many services available. Great starting pay. Room to grow within the agency.
fulling work to help and give back
Assist / monitor / teach individuals (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYAugust 19, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
a job where u feel good giving back, not a chance to move up in the company
Flexible hours and great benefits
Resident Case Manager (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYAugust 14, 2014
Pros: medical and dental benfits
Cons: low salary
. Hard work and dedication
. Learning about diverse people and their abilities
. Rewarding when helping someone in need
It was friendly family oriented work site
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Newburgh, NYAugust 6, 2014
Pros: free dinner on the evening shift, driving agency vehicles
Cons: the only break we had was sitting down for dinner with the individuals
Come to work and sign in on a automated phone service. Depending on the day, staff was assign to prepare dinner or administer afternoon medications and insulin. Have the individuals take showers eat dinner, have their evening medications, clean the kitchen and then go into the community for their evening outing. Make sure everyone is wearing their seatbelt before pulling out of the driveway. Upon returning, have the individual change into their pajamas and go to the med room for bedtime medications and provide a snack. When the individual go to bed, staff fills out all of the documentation for the day and take the trash out at the end of the shift. I learned to administered medications, insulin, CPR and AED, basic first aid and SCIP-R. The hardest part was to make sure that we stayed updated with every new policy. The most enjoyable part was going to fun places and experience new things with the individuals. I had good, hard working co-workers. I had a good management team that was helpful
Rewarding work
Community Support Professional (Current Employee), Community Support ProfessionalJuly 28, 2014
Pros: busy work day, constant exploring of nyc.
Cons: poor communication between departments, low pay, poor benefits
o Work with individuals who have suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury and help them achieve a personal level of independence, redevelop life and social skills, and maintain the dignity of the human person.
o Developed meaningful life-skill oriented curriculum for individuals which will be used throughout the AHRC organization in the departments for individuals with developmental disorders.
o Supervise community outings to assist individuals with their social skills, money managements, and healthy habits and to provide a safe environment.
o Keep detailed case notes on a number of individuals to record their progress in reaching their self-set goals and provide documentation of individuals’ improvement and/or deterioration in a variety of areas in regards to their health, mobility, life and social skills so as to provide the best individualized program for that individual.
o Participate in bi-annual meetings of an individual’s social worker, home care representative, state services representative, and family which address their overall progress and future needs.
If you can handle being an aide this is a good job with good benefits
Liaison between family members and the facility (Current Employee), Shoreham, nyJuly 28, 2014
A typical day is getting clients up showered and dressed for the day. YOu make the meals for the guys and help feed them. You are responsible for changes, and reposition of each client. The hardest part of the job is when a client gets sick and passes away. They pay well for the type of job you are doing,
RUDE!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 9, 2014
The managers are always sneaking around to find a worker that can take blame for their poor management. I did a total of three years with them and it was a roller coaster ride
Great organization with a lot of dedicated employees. Great and suppportive environment.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Nassau County, Long Island, NYJuly 5, 2014
Pros: great benefits package, great environment, flexible schedule.
Flexible schedule 37.5 hours a week. The agency provides multiple training modalities, which are very helpful for both new and established employees. The agency has multiple geographical locations that can be tailored to employee's preferences. There is a great culture within the agency, very supportive and very person-oriented. The agency takes pride in its accomplishments and strives to be the best, which is a part of why it is so great for the employees and the people it serves.

Assoc. for the Help of Retarded Children (AHRC) Salaries