Associated Estates Employee Reviews in United States

Incompetent with no sense of customer service
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  DallasApril 6, 2015
The property has so much potential but the company not only screws over its staff but its residents as well. $100 renewal increases with no methods of negotiations or providing residents with acceptable counter offers. The office is short staffed daily making customer service to prospect and current residents impossible to demonstrate. Managers are not hands on and the company provides you with little to no training. Health benefits are outrageous and compensation shows how much they actually value their staff. The company is not trained to handle discriminatory matters and does not make an effort to solve those kinds of problems. There is no level of protection or open doors of communication. There is a cash flow problem at many of the properties that all have insufficient staffing. The grounds of the properties are filthy and does not care to make any changes to clean it up because there is no cash flow to get it down. Your hired thinking your role is to lease but you forced to do entirely different job which cuts into the leasing bonus money on a $13/hr base pay and that is with experience. Do not ask HR for anything because they are just as incompetent as the property staff. Maintenance is has no sense of urgency to fulfill work orders and complete make readys. If you have a problem or concern, it doesn't matter because the moment you say something you will get marked as "not a team player" and the company WILL FIRE YOU for no just cause but to state it "personality". You are not supplied with the necessary full functioning software to do your job making the workload  more... triple. They use Yardi but you can't do anything but make small changes. If you need to edit or due a transfer, you have to call the support team who will do it for you but it takes them 24 hours to complete the task. The staff turn over is tremendously high. If you are a productive hardworking and extremely professional leasing consultant you will become a threat to those who do not hold the same work ethics/values.
This company is unorganized, unappreciative, and it's a board line slave ship. I would NOT Recommend to this company to work nor to a resident to live. I would caution anyone looking into AEC to do your research. Get everything in writing up front. Great living is not what they do!
Pros
the properties have so much great potential, the leasing potential is big but you only get $50 for a lease as they pay locators 50% or higher.
Cons
No management support, over priced health benefits, properties are experiencing a cash flow problem.
Maintenance of 330 Units
Maintenance Tech.2 (Current Employee) –  Dublin,OhioApril 6, 2015
I did grounds first thing in the morning. I learned more about Aqua-therm heating. Replaced condensor units and had the best maintenance supervisor ever. I learned alot from their stackable washer and dryer units and got to replace timers on dishwashers and dryers.
Pros
Lots of stuff to learn
Cons
30 year old property was falling apart. Always something breaking
Horrible company culture and corporate policies
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 1, 2014
This company has everything backwards. They spend money where it doesn't count and market things that have nothing to do with the residents or property. On several occasions they had us do fundraisers and ask our residents, vendors and local businesses for money! The turnover is extremely high because the corporate employees pay no mind to the onsite teams. Your input goes nowhere. You don't have Christmas Eve or New Year's off but they're closed on Easter with NO pay for the employees who work weekends. Their training is awful, if you get it at all (mine was 6 months after I was hired which was pointless because I already knew everything by then.) They believe in huge rent increases without fixing the property or offering any incentive. The insurance is sub-par and INSANELY overpriced with co-pays being $50. I've never even heard of such a thing. You can tell corporate endlessly about issues on your property but it falls on deaf ears and no action plan is ever made let alone put into place. The starting pay is decent but the annual raises are minute. The quarterly bonuses are rigged and are so small when you do get it.
Pros
good property locations
Cons
bad insurance, high turnover, corporate doesn't care
would not recommend
asst mgr (Former Employee) –  norfolkApril 21, 2014
Worked at a community where upper management knew of an inappropriate relationship between two male employees at the same property and ignored it, even after several complaints. They do not comply with fair housing and are all about the bottom line, which means they are inflexible when it comes to resident issues.
Pros
training
Cons
inflexibility
Terrible Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  NCFebruary 21, 2014
This company needs to take a hint from companies such as Post and Camden. Listen to your employees, promote, and pay them more than the bare minimum and maybe you can keep some valuable talent! Don't waste your time working for them!
Cons
worst "bonus" structure, poor business management at the top, people will do illegal things to cover their own butt.
Terrible company with inferior leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  South FloridaOctober 10, 2013
A chain is only as good as its weakest link and a company is only as good as its leadership. This company clearly suffers from poor and inferior leadership. They are a REIT much like Camden and Equity but will never see the same type of success until they learn to listen to its employees. This company does not listen to its rank-and-file but rather makes decisions based on erroneous assumptions. They're based out of Ohio and assume (erroneously as always) that every market is the same. Sadly, the worst employees are the ones leading the charge.
Pros
in-house training program
Cons
do not consider or seek employee input
Very good company to work for! Place for advancements
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, CantonApril 11, 2013
I worked for this AEC for 7 years until they sold our property to another company. I was very sad and disappointed. I worked my way up in this company. They took us every year on a convention to different places. Loved going to Disney World for the convention. We even go a tour of the under ground city. The hardest part of this job was the residents, but loved working with management. There was a lot of updates and training with this company. They like to stay on top of things!
Pros
conventions every year and training.
Cons
they sold thier section 8 properties (hud) :(
A positive environment.
Contract Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hts, OHOctober 6, 2012
This position was acquired via an employment agency - Area Temps Employment Services. I was layed off due to POSITION ELIMINATION.

I enjoyed the work; however, was not challenged to a great extent.

I would refer this Company to others - however, must be hired as a DIRECT HIRE EMPLOYEE.

2.3