Associated Students Employee Reviews in United States

A non-profit dedicated to helping Cal Poly students have the ultimate college experience
President (Former Employee) –  San Luis ObispoFebruary 6, 2016
Chairing meetings
Speaking in front of audiences
Collaborating with on campus entities
Managing my cabinet to do projects and events
Building community
Fun Place to work
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJanuary 13, 2016
AS holds great jobs for college students. They also hold a high standard for their professional positions. Engaging staff in trainings and gatherings is common and great for staff morale.
Pros
integrated with students lives in mind
Cons
20 hrs. a week max for students
no review
Building Manager (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAApril 5, 2016
no review for this company. great school wish i would be able to stay here longer but cant due to upcoming graduation. Great job to have while in college.
very productive work environment with fun people and work life balance
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  chico, caSeptember 20, 2015
I worked as a part time employee in there where it was a very fun to hang out with people. but also very professional in terms of work.
Sound Leadership Opportunity for CSU Fullerton Students
President & CEO (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAMay 13, 2015
Associated Students provides a unique involvement opportunity for students attend Cal State Fullerton. Whether you want to support student athletics, plan concerts and entertainment events, promote cultural diversity, or advocate for quality education, the Associated Students has opportunities for students of all interests.
Pros
Knowledge of events on campus, Networking, Resume-Builder, Personal Development
Cons
Set schedules may conflict with classes, Not all positions have scholarships
A leadership, personal growth and advocacy
International Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 7, 2015
Through the many opportunities in my responsibilities, i became a good leader, benefited with a number of professional trainings and find a way to advocate for higher education that is a concern for California students.
An ethical and a safe place
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 20, 2015
It has been a blast working here. I am glad I was introduced to Associated Students. I learned a lot from all of my coworkers and they all have been super helpful and great guidance for me.
Good school part-time job
Cafeteria Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAJuly 23, 2014
Worked around my schedule as a student
Didn't pay very well
Job was relatively easy, no issues completing any task
Was a relaxed work atmosphere
Management was terrible, and blamed students for their problems
The main skill I learned was food handling knowledge. This included proper storage or prepping of food.
Pros
relaxed atmospher, worked around your schedule
Cons
terrible management
Productive with a great environment to work in
Conference and Events Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAMay 15, 2013
Productive and a great place to meet new people and what clubs are going on on campus. Co-workers become friends because you are able to work your full shift with them. Hardest part of the job is trying to set up an event in a short amount of time and other events going around at the same time. Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help people succeed with events they are running.
Pros
free lunches, great pay, flexible hours
Cons
short breaks, always on the run
An empowering place for student involvement
Sustainability Commissioner (Former Employee) –  San Diego CaliforniaJune 12, 2013
-Conducting research on Associated Students operations related to sustainability, especially in the area of waste output
-Creating the business case and design for the new outdoor waste management system at SDSU
-Media representation for local and national news outlets
-Creating a list of areas for sustainable improvements within the organization
-Conveying associated students' goals and achievements to the University's president
-Co-Chair the Green Love Committee
Motivating and health oriented environment
Spin Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAJuly 18, 2014
I teaching spin in a group exercise setting at Chico State's WREC Center through Associated Students. It is a wonderful opportunity for growth within the school's community as a current student. I am currently subbing for spin classes until the Fall semester begins. Then, I will be teaching five spin classes a week. A typical class involves me periodically giving my class cues on the upcoming exercise on the bike, reminding them how their form should look on the bike while also being safe, as well as motivating the class to work as hard as they can in order to keep up a healthy and active lifestyle. That is the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part is keeping myself motivated on days I am tired. However, seeing the students simply showing up to class and working hard inspires me to be the best I can.
Exciting way to promote opportunities on campus.
Students' Elections Commission Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 4, 2014
Best way to outreach to students to help them understand the significance of students elections. I was fortunate enough to work along student leaders that made it a priority to bring to students on campus of the opportunity to serve as a leader in student government.
Pros
student leader teamwork
Great position
Student Services Vice-President (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 13, 2015
Great position. Only regret is that I can only serve one term in this position.

I have learned a lot and hope to apply this to other places.
Great for Students
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 30, 2013
Working for ASI is great only if your a student. The pay is okay only if you don't have many expenses. I worked as the Customer Service Representative and I enjoyed it.
Pros
works with class schedules
Cons
low pay
Fun place to work
UCI, Business Marketing Commissioner (Former Employee) –  irvine, caAugust 20, 2013
Our ASUCI team consisted of mostly volunteers that were known to be the leaders on the UCI campus. There was just enough work to be able to balance being a full time student.
Easy balance between classes and work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 30, 2014
Great experience in daily customer service. Excellent management. A job where we don't have to go home and stress about. Helps increase confidence.
Job was special because of the great students
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAFebruary 5, 2013
I overlooked a few undesirable things about job because I was there for the students. I felt appreciated by the students.
Student Lead Organization
College of Business Senator (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJuly 22, 2014
Professional and fun environment that is completely led by students. Great advisers and very helpful staff.
Engaging and builds on teamwork skills
Recycling Student Lead (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 9, 2015
Associated Students is focused towards bringing students together to make the school better. I worked specifically with the recycling department. We focused on maintaining a clean and sustainable campus. We would drive around campus collecting recyclables from certain locations. It helped build skills in communication and efficiency. Management worked towards helping keeping us on pace to finish within work hours. Our co-workers were our fellow students which created an atmosphere where everyone could talk to each other and build off of each other.

Sometimes the hardest part would be delegating tasks. At those points we would need to come up with was the most effective while leaving a sense of fairness. Creating a work situation that worked well while making everyone feel that they are doing a fair share of the work was not as easy as what I would have expected. Through that time, I was able to learn and gain more leadership skills in order to actively keep a effective work place.

Some of the most enjoyable parts of the job was working on events to show students around campus the work we can do and spreading the word about recycling. We would do this via games and activities, which would be created from the same materials we would have collected throughout a normal workday.
Pros
Teamwork, Engaging Community, On-Campus job
Cons
Dirty Job, Lack of proper building, no benefits as students
Proactive work environment
Chico- Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAAugust 12, 2014
Good communication with co-workers. Reliable when asked for help. Manageable conditions.

4.2